Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,219 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? (12216 Views)

Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? / Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion / Mike Bamiloye Exposes Church Instrumentalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by reallifegospel(m): 8:06am On Jan 27
Q&A: Should Church Music Instrumentalists be paid for their duties?

The controversy rages on about if or not, a music instrumentalist who plays for a Church (big or small) should be paid or not?

Church Instrumentalists are individuals who play music instruments during the worship services.
  Such music instruments includes the piano, drums, guitars, trumpet, violin, etc, etc
  Most Folks believe that if a Church is big and successful, they should try to financially support their instrumentalists.

In some cases, the instrumentalists themselves demand that they should be compensated financially or paid salaries for their duties.
   Some instrumentalists claim that it takes a lot of sacrifices to be present and render their services to a church, especially if it's a mega church.
   Some instrumentalists down tools when the church over extended periods of time do not compensate them financially.

So the big question is,
Should a music instrumentalist be paid for the services he/she renders to the Church?

I'll answer both with my personal experience and with what was said recently by Pastor David Ibiyieome (The Bishop of Salvation Ministries Worldwide).

I was a drummer and keyboard player during my younger days.
  I played the music instruments for the church I was in at that time, I was always on time for church services and choir practice.
  I didn't do it like I was doing the Church a favour, I did it diligently with love and joy, and honestly back then, I indeed saw God move in great and mighty ways in my life.

I didn't tax or bill the Churches I was in back then to play the music instruments for them, I didn't act high handed act as if I was doing the Church a favour by playing the music instruments, I just showed up on time during choir practice days, and during church services and I served with joy and gladness.

Occasionally, I'd get a few financial gifts here and there from some individuals, but I never had it in mind that I was collecting a salary or wage of some sort for my work and God is still blessing me till today for those services I rendered back then with joy and gladness.

Recently Pastor David Ibiyieome (the lead Pastor of Salvation Ministries Worldwide) made a statement that is worthy of note to all instrumentalists who insist that they must be paid for their services.

Pastor David's statement is what I'll call the hard truth style of saying what I just stated or gave example about above.

I won't tell you that insisting you must be paid for playing music instruments for a Church will condemn you to a lifetime of penury without remedy, but I will tell you that if you play music instruments for a Church without insisting that you must be paid, GOD almighty himself will make sure you're rewarded, and God's rewards are larger, better and more long lasting than you can ever phantom.

Render your playing of music instruments as a service to God and do it with joy and gladness. You won't regret it.

I repeat, you won't regret it!

Remain Blessed!

Q&A is a platform that addresses a few controversial issues among Christians and within the Church.

All questions answered by
Apostle Constance C. Friday Ani.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Righthussle: 8:55am On Jan 27
Ok

1 Like

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:59pm On Jan 27
As Jesus took care of His disciples so also is genuine church of God bound to take care of its workers.

Love is reciprocal

A hungry worker can not be expected to do his work well not to talk of not expecting him to steal and commit other sins.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by KingNom(m): 11:38pm On Jan 27
If that's the only job they do

On Eternal Reward/Payment by God Almighty, please read:

Do you know that you are to live/exist forever, even after putting off your body (i.e death)?

A Human being is actually a spirit residing in a body. Dead body means the person inside (who is a spirit) has left, to meet God for his/her just reward: Eternal glory/bliss with God or everlasting torment with the devil.

GOD LOVES YOU SO MUCH MORE THAN YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE!
To get set/saved for Now and WHEN you will leave your body (i.e have your spirit renewed/made holy;
Please accept Jesus into Your Heart as Lord and Saviour TODAY and live for Him!

Don't delay/postpone this, you are not promised tomorrow & there is no acceptable repentance after death!

There's no other Perfect sacrifice for Your sin (they must be paid for to satisfy the Justice Nature of God Almighty) except that of Jesus. God's holiness is too high for man to attain by his good deeds;
Man's good deeds/intentions can never raise him to the level of God's holiness. Acts 4:12

Adam's sin nature (which you inherited through bloodline) and your sins, have been fully paid for/handled by God's Eternal Word who became a man, Jesus. He died in your place (God's mercy), went to hell and rose with eternal life for you. John 3:16

Jesus was punished on your behalf so you won't be punished. HE DID THIS, MANIFESTING GOD'S GREAT LOVE TOWARDS YOU! He loves you far beyond you could ever imagine!

TO GET SAVED, PLEASE SAY OUT LOUD:
Dear Loving God, I accept Jesus into my heart as Lord and Saviour TODAY! Thank You for washing my sins away and lovingly making me brand new, your child in Jesus Name, Amen! (Romans 10:9-10, John 1:12-14)

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now a Righteous Child of God! Kindly get/download and study the Bible and Rhapsody of Realities regularly so you can know and live as God intends you to. (1Peter 2:1-4)

Please message me for more information. God Bless You!

11 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Hollyharjii: 9:12am On Jan 28
It depends on one's perspective

6 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Skillsnigeria: 9:12am On Jan 28
Hmmm
Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Brendaniel: 9:12am On Jan 28
it depends....

1 Like

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by ObaOfEsan: 9:12am On Jan 28
yes

4 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by DesChyko: 9:13am On Jan 28
We must be realistic. Churches recruit instrumentalists and pay them heavy just to come and play. They even recruit technicians on weekly basis to manage their setups. If any church can do that on a whim, they should have no problems paying those who do that without an additional stress from the church.

In their defence, God has given them a talent to feed with. It will be silly if them to let that go without actualisation. Especially as a Nigerian.

I have this friend, who had similar issues with where he worships. As a string instrumentalist, he only asked for 3k after each Sunday service, I think (before all these inflation). He already makes some quid on weekdays from services and vigils he performs. He always discussed this with me, but mehn, no be me go tell you make you leave House of God o 🤣.

One day, he called it quits and left, with the pastors and members saying all sorts. That's how he became available for contracts. He attends service wherever he plays on Sundays. It didn't take long for the church to realise how expensive it is to hire instrumentalists around and they wanted him back. Unfortunately, the ship had left the harbour as he was now highly sought after and quite pricey too. He also sought my opinion on this but Omo, no be me go tell you make you drop where you dey feed from before you go use beg finish me 😏

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Risingblue008(m): 9:13am On Jan 28
Talents are not traded for free
Even the bible recongnise that

Why do u get paid after working?

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by RETURNOFENDSARS: 9:13am On Jan 28
If pastors are paid, they are entitled to their wages

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by chipet67(m): 9:14am On Jan 28
Yes, pay them.
If you pay pastors why not pay those ministering with music?

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Offpoint1: 9:14am On Jan 28
Yes, if pastors are getting paid why do y'all want instrumentalist to play for free?
. After all the purpose of tithes and offerings is be used in running the church. (Giving to God is the psychological way to manipulate the people to give. We all know logically, you can't literally give God nothing)

Church business is the most lucrative business, everything is expected to be done for free while millions are being made monthly.

I stopped going to church because no one can convince me church isn't business center.

When these men talked about expanding kingdom, it has nothing to do with souls. It's all about building more church branches for profitability. It's all about numbers, whether they are save or not.

The local churches are tasked with weekly budgets they'll deliver to the headquarters, pastors that don't meet up their financial targets for long are mostly transfered to village branches or lower churches as form of punishment.

Most of these pastors had to result into holding on ending weekly services and organizing crusades, invite sweet talkers fellow pastors, just to meet up these targets.

I've seen a lot of things and I doubt I'll ever go to church again.

These men don't give a shit about your salvation.
You see those wretched looking pastors? They're mostky the true pastors who refused to compromised.

37 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Blakjewelry(m): 9:14am On Jan 28
How una want make them take chop? Una wicked for the ministry sha

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by SMARTMOTORS(m): 9:14am On Jan 28
Wait a minute!!.... Are they not paid??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by bigdammyj: 9:15am On Jan 28
Reading.
Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Dididrumz(m): 9:17am On Jan 28
Yes, Sir. grin

Reasons coming up later.

2 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Houseofglam7(f): 9:17am On Jan 28
Me thinks they should get paid.

4 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Vocalessence(f): 9:17am On Jan 28
Do you know how much time they spend rehearsing and practicing to come out good in their presentations most especially during special services in the church?

Instrumentalists have made huge impact in the church which has saved many lost lives. Some persons come to church depressed and would eventually return home happy because God has indeed visited them through one of the mediums most especially through music.

They are also professionals and they have laboured to gain the knowledge hence, it is worthy to appreciate their services.

I'm a voice over artist. Contact below for bookings.

11 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by MisfitHPG: 9:18am On Jan 28
reallifegospel:
Q&A: Should Church Music Instrumentalists be paid for their duties?

The controversy rages on about if or not, a music instrumentalist who plays for a Church (big or small) should be paid or not?

Church Instrumentalists are individuals who play music instruments during the worship services.
  Such music instruments includes the piano, drums, guitars, trumpet, violin, etc, etc
  Most Folks believe that if a Church is big and successful, they should try to financially support their instrumentalists.

In some cases, the instrumentalists themselves demand that they should be compensated financially or paid salaries for their duties.
   Some instrumentalists claim that it takes a lot of sacrifices to be present and render their services to a church, especially if it's a mega church.
   Some instrumentalists down tools when the church over extended periods of time do not compensate them financially.

So the big question is,
Should a music instrumentalist be paid for the services he/she renders to the Church?

I'll answer both with my personal experience and with what was said recently by Pastor David Ibiyieome (The Bishop of Salvation Ministries Worldwide).

I was a drummer and keyboard player during my younger days.
  I played the music instruments for the church I was in at that time, I was always on time for church services and choir practice.
  I didn't do it like I was doing the Church a favour, I did it diligently with love and joy, and honestly back then, I indeed saw God move in great and mighty ways in my life.

I didn't tax or bill the Churches I was in back then to play the music instruments for them, I didn't act high handed act as if I was doing the Church a favour by playing the music instruments, I just showed up on time during choir practice days, and during church services and I served with joy and gladness.

Occasionally, I'd get a few financial gifts here and there from some individuals, but I never had it in mind that I was collecting a salary or wage of some sort for my work and God is still blessing me till today for those services I rendered back then with joy and gladness.

Recently Pastor David Ibiyieome (the lead Pastor of Salvation Ministries Worldwide) made a statement that is worthy of note to all instrumentalists who insist that they must be paid for their services.

Pastor David's statement is what I'll call the hard truth style of saying what I just stated or gave example about above.

I won't tell you that insisting you must be paid for playing music instruments for a Church will condemn you to a lifetime of penury without remedy, but I will tell you that if you play music instruments for a Church without insisting that you must be paid, GOD almighty himself will make sure you're rewarded, and God's rewards are larger, better and more long lasting than you can ever phantom.

Render your playing of music instruments as a service to God and do it with joy and gladness. You won't regret it.

I repeat, you won't regret it!

Remain Blessed!

Q&A is a platform that addresses a few controversial issues among Christians and within the Church.

All questions answered by
Apostle Constance C. Friday Ani.
even members should be paid

3 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:18am On Jan 28
Nothing wrong with an instrumentalist being paid.

Whether our day time job or work done in Church, it is God that is ultimately our boss. It is the Lord that will reward the work we do.

A diligent cleaner is more important to the kingdom of God than a deceptive or corrupt pastor, and all work ranks the same before God.

A musician can decide not to take money for his service especially if they have another source of finances. Another musician can decide to get paid. Non is wrong. As long as both are doing their work diligently and with the fear of the Lord, then He will bless them both.

The separation of Church work and daily work has caused more harm than good for Christianity. Christianity is full time business, it means I should deal with the same dignity and honesty when working in the bank on a Monday and while cleaning the Church on Sunday, and expect the same reward.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by sthecy(f): 9:18am On Jan 28
Some pastors are being paid in churches, so instrumentalists should be paid also, even if that’s not the only job they do. Except the instrumentalist makes it clear that he doesn’t want to be paid.
Also, it’s a handiwork, the instrumentalist paid for himself to learn it.
Gracias 🙏

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by superCleanworks(m): 9:19am On Jan 28
No. Don't pay them.
Their reward is in heaven.

but You want them to always look sharp, shave and dress sweet and be there for rehearsals and be there before church service begins and play the instruments with full energy from beginning to end of every service and they are usually the last to leave the church.
You want them to always respond to your calls and be exclusive to your church and not miss one day or give finance related excuses.

Please don't pay them.

Only a wicked and highly manipulative person will ask instrumentalists to play without considering their welfare and financial wellbeing.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by thesicilian: 9:20am On Jan 28
The church doesn't want to pay tax

Doesn't want to pay the usher who stands all day sometimes for 2 to 3 different services

Doesn't want to pay the instrumentalists

Doesn't want to pay the music artistes who grew up in the church

Doesn't want to pay the comedians who grew up in the church

Yet at the end of each service or special programme, each member is dispersed without food or drink

When the members needs money for food, house rent, hospital bills or school fees, the church prays for them

When the church needs money for projects, the members contribute money

You are not going to feed me, accommodate me or pay my bills, yet you do not want me to collect wages for my services to you?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by babaRUNtinz(m): 9:23am On Jan 28
Why not, if not?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by porthouse7(f): 9:23am On Jan 28
The should be payed standard salary so unemployment rate will reduce, church to like free service all in the name of working for god

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Righthussle: 9:26am On Jan 28
Pulpit bandits are very terrible people. They want to take everything.

8 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Chukwuka319(m): 9:28am On Jan 28
Even if they are not paid,they should be adequately compensated financially and material wise, from time to time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by Meel: 9:29am On Jan 28
The mode of operation of the church matters. In Churches like MFM, The apostolic faith, and Deeper life, almost all the choir members can play an instrument or two. This style makes every member valuable and dispensable. The reason most churches pay there instrumentalists is because they desire a play but doesn't have members capable of doing such. Hence, they attract this guys with money to perform.

Every worker in the vineyard contributes equally in the sight of God. Therefore, each of them should be treated equally. If you're to pay instrumentalists, then pay ushers, cleaners and co. But the reality is these are unskilled, therefore dispensable.

6 Likes

Re: Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? by tizzle(m): 9:33am On Jan 28
Yes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What You Don't Know About IFA Sacrifice (ebo) / What Can We Learn From The Life Of Samson? / Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.