Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game (809 Views)

Aubameyang Tests Positive To COVID-19, 4 Days To Their First AFCON Game / Leicester's Iheanacho Set To Wed Second Wife, Four Baby Mamas Emerge / AFCON 2019: Iheanacho Set To Replace Samuel Kalu In Super Eagles squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by SoNature(m): 12:36pm On Jan 27
Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho is inline to make his first appearance at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations for Nigeria when they take on Cameroon in a round of 16 clash at the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny on Saturday, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

Iheanacho who has recovered from a thigh injury that made him a major injury doubt for the AFCON, was an unused substitute for Nigeria during the group stages of the competitions – a decision which fueled rumours that he was in the bad books of coach Jose Peseiro.

Several online reports (not in PUNCH Sports Extra) reported that the Leicester City striker had been frozen out of the squad by Peseiro after he disrespected the Portuguese coach during one of the 2026 World Cup qualifiers last November.

But during a pre-match conference on Friday, Peseiro dispelled the rift speculation adding that he would not invited the player for the tournament if the reports were true.

“If something happened between me and Kelechi, he wouldn’t have come, he would have stayed back at Leicester,” Peseiro said.

“You know about Kelechi’s injury. He was recovering during our camping, he arrived 4:30 am (on the day of the opener). He started collective work with us one day after. That is the reason.

“When a player recovers, the coach and medical staff need to manage to see if he’s fit or not, ready or not, it’s clear. Easy answer as coach but for you of course you cannot understand that.

“Kelechi, we believe too much in him and he’s going to play and going to score.”

Prior to the start of the AFCON, Iheanacho was arguably the most influential player in the Eagles since the end of last year, having scored or assisted in each of his last five appearances for the team.

Source: https://punchng.com/iheanacho-set-for-first-game/

1 Share

Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by SoNature(m): 12:38pm On Jan 27
This Super Eagles team has to be the worst I have seen all my life! Why is the coach not playing Ahmed Musa? It's not as if the current squad is doing anything spectacular.

NFF should fire Peseiro after this tournament and open talks with French coach Hervé Renard. That man is the most successful coach in AFCON games.

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by aswani(m): 12:44pm On Jan 27
This guy is not mobile at all, only good thing is he is not as selfish as some of the others.

2 Likes

Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by Obascoetubi: 1:02pm On Jan 27
SoNature:
This Super Eagles team has to be the worst I have seen all my life! Why is the coach not playing Ahmed Musa? It's not as if the current squad is doing anything spectacular.

NFF should fire Peseiro after this tournament and open talks with French coach Hervé Renard. That man is the most successful coach in AFCON games.
We know u be northerner, just admit that Musa na expired player that was not supposed to be invited.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by SoNature(m): 1:04pm On Jan 27
Obascoetubi:
We know u be northerner, just admit that Musa na expired player that was not supposed to be invited.

That's the major problem of this country; everything is seen from a tribal prism!

I don't understand why we cannot agree that this country isn't working as one unit and unanimously dissolve it.

3 Likes

Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by breakout12: 1:13pm On Jan 27
Embark on an exhilarating escape room koramangala in Bangalore by visiting the city's top-rated establishments. With intriguing puzzles, captivating storylines, and immersive environments, the best escape rooms in Bangalore guarantee an unforgettable experience for enthusiasts seeking thrilling challenges.
https://breakout.in/bangalore/
Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by Rexymania(m): 2:21pm On Jan 27
This guy wey no dey creative
Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by ruggedtimi(m): 3:03pm On Jan 27
SoNature:

or why is Ahmed musa there?
Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by mytime24(f): 3:10pm On Jan 27
ruggedtimi:
or why is Ahmed musa there?
for bonuses 😂
Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by sirchim(m): 5:00pm On Jan 27
SoNature:

That's the major problem of this country; everything is seen from a tribal prism!

I don't understand why we cannot agree that this country isn't working as one unit and unanimously dissolve it.
My Bro, that's just it. When you say the truth, tribal war will just set in. What a country 🤔?
Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by HussenAdul: 5:20pm On Jan 27
When things are getting though elder will be summoned. Iheanacho is a senior man
Re: Iheanacho Set For His First AFCON Game by 100smile(m): 5:39pm On Jan 27
HussenAdul:
When things are getting though elder will be summoned. Iheanacho is a senior man

Vincent Aboubakar and clinton Njie of cameroon are also back.

(1) (Reply)

Recent Fifa Rating / Wanna Play Soccer: Pls Assist Me! / Big Sam Resigned As Bolton Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.