Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,382 members, 7,812,128 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 (15058 Views)

17 Impeached Deputy Governors Since 1999 / Severance Packages Of Retired CBN Deputy Governors Will Surprise Nigerians / Meet The Nominees For CBN Governor, Deputy Governors (Profiles) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Islie: 1:07pm On Jan 28
From 1999 when Nigeria returned to a democratic dispensation to 2023, the 36 states of the federation have produced not less than 149 different personalities…

From 1999 when Nigeria returned to a democratic dispensation to 2023, the 36 states of the federation have produced not less than 149 different personalities holding the position of deputy governors for their states. Within this period, Ekiti State has had the highest number (seven), while Ondo, Lagos and Kaduna had six each. Nine states have had five each, while 13 have had only three each.

Of this figure, only 10 have succeeded in taking over the mantle of leadership from their erstwhile principals, while 10 succeeded in navigating the political waters to become federal legislators.

With this paltry number of those that have taken progressive steps in politics since serving as deputies, a proportionate ratio of these former deputies have, however, gone into political oblivion and are only occasionally referenced when their former position become some form of leeway to political patronage. Others have, however, totally returned to private lives and have been making a living off the profession they knew before their voyage into partisan politics.

Daily Trust on Sunday looks at the outcry for the roles of deputy governors to be properly spelt out in the constitution, as well as the reasons the theoretical number two citizen in each state have often been described as a mere spare tyre.

A former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, in his review of a book titled, “Deputising and Governance in Nigeria” by a former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, succinctly captured the legal and political dilemma of a deputy governor in Nigeria when he stated, “There are no specifically constitutionally defined responsibilities for the office of the deputy governor or even the vice president. Although elected on the same ticket, they literally serve at the pleasure of the person they deputise.

“It is not for nothing that the concept of a “spare tyre” came to be applied to the deputy governor/vice president in Nigerian discourses; somebody that only becomes functional briefly when the car runs aground.”

This lack of directive, analysts believe, has greatly impeded the political trajectory of former deputy governors, who often found themselves politically ‘jobless’ after their tenure.

Many, therefore, opine that it was the pressure to remain relevant, as well as have a body to lobby with, that gave birth to the formation of the Forum of Former Deputy Governors of Nigeria (FFDGN), which has been engaging political leaders to, among other things, lobby for the clear inclusion of the role of deputy governors in the constitution.

This lack of constitutional role has been fingered as the main reason deputy governors have not only been described but also deployed mainly as spare tyres for their principals.

Sharing this thought, a renowned political analyst, Professor Kamilu Sani Fage, told Daily Trust on Sunday that “the constitution literally makes them like a spare tyre because their work is at the discretion of their principals.”

He said another reason most deputy governors go into political oblivion after their term is the political process of getting the position.

“In most cases, the deputy governors are not the choice of the governor per se. Most times, it is some political big-shots that literally impose such candidate on the governor. So, you usually have some kind of marriage of convenience without shared values between the governor and the deputy; and that is why they don’t work smoothly during their term,” he said.

This marriage of convenience, many political watchers have also noted, has just one goal in mind – to win the election for the governor.

They believe that while the constitution recognises the ticket that produces the governor as a joint ticket, it became silent on how both should work together; thus, after the goal is achieved, the journey becomes tedious for the deputy, who has to constantly watch his acts not being seen as antagonising the principal.

Fage, a former vice president of the Nigerian Political Science Association (NPSA), also noted that because some governors are afraid of having their deputies succeed them, they do all they can to relegate them while in power, to the extent that most residents of the state may not even know the name of their deputy governor.

“Because of the crossed relationship they have, the governors are mostly afraid that when their deputies take over from them, they would be vindictive. In a situation like this, the deputy is not allowed to do any significant thing that could endear him to the citizens.

“The fear that the governors may not be able to dictate to their deputies when they succeed them may also be a reason you see that most deputies go into oblivion after leaving office,” he added.

Daily Trust on Sunday gathered that most politicians now consider being appointed as commissioners as the position is more glorious than being on a joint ticket with the governor, especially if a commissioner is appointed into a ministry considered to juicy. This, in most cases, have been said to be the reason most deputies always lobby to be given the supervision of at least a ministry because of the inactivity in the Office of the Deputy Governor.

https://dailytrust.com/only-10-of-149-deputy-govs-took-over-from-bosses-since-1999/

2 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Thundafireseun: 1:11pm On Jan 28
Philip Shibu of Edo will not like this news

12 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Amotolongbo(f): 1:16pm On Jan 28
It seems like the Chief of Staff office has upper hand than the deputy governors in succession line

31 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by God1000(m): 1:19pm On Jan 28
Amotolongbo:
It seems like the Chief of Staff has more upper hand than the deputy governors in succession line
Yeah because they give their 100% loyalty to the governor, there's distrust and bad blood between most governors and their deputies

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Akinboboz(m): 1:29pm On Jan 28
Its about their own personal interest and godfatherism, ask kwamkaso, he will tell you more why governor don't often support their deputy, Obaseki don't want to support his deputy for a reason.... Nigeria politics is different from other country's of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by DevilsEqual(m): 1:50pm On Jan 28
Akinboboz:
Its about their own personal interest and godfatherism, ask kwamkaso, he will tell you more why governor don't often support their deputy, Obaseki don't want to support his deputy for a reason.... Nigeria politics is different from other country's of the world.

Your comprehension capability is worrying

Some of u here scares me with how u analyze things

If the numbers had been more than 10, say 80, then y'all would have a justification that the democracy in Nigeria is for just a few people

Now the number is just 10 out of 149 but instead of giving it the true analysis, u ended up writing what I don't even understand

Apparently, this figure proves that the power isn't rotated among a few guys...no be every time Una suppose dey bash unaself

Inferiority complex in Africans is troubling

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Domaining101: 4:53pm On Jan 28
Hello, I need someone that knows how to install windows 10 on external hard drives so that i can run the OS from my external harddrive without needing to install Windows on my laptop. If you know how to do it and you're in Lagos , drop price, location and contact.

And would i need to come with my laptop?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by sslcrypt: 4:54pm On Jan 28
Ok
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by seyicodes(m): 4:54pm On Jan 28
Jk
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by complink: 4:55pm On Jan 28
It happens. That statistics shows it's a rare occurrence
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by inoki247: 4:55pm On Jan 28
Lol others dere Boss deal with dem...
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by atobs4real(m): 4:55pm On Jan 28
Na that one go bring food for my table?
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Blackestjunior(m): 4:55pm On Jan 28
Just 6.7%
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by atobs4real(m): 4:55pm On Jan 28
Na that one go bring food for my table?
Post meaningful things

3 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Crowntop94: 4:56pm On Jan 28
Islie:

From 1999 when Nigeria returned to a democratic dispensation to 2023, the 36 states of the federation have produced not less than 149 different personalities…

https://dailytrust.com/only-10-of-149-deputy-govs-took-over-from-bosses-since-1999/

lies.... where is Alao Akala of oyo state

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Pootle: 4:56pm On Jan 28
na wa o
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by b3llo(m): 4:58pm On Jan 28
And the same dirty game continue
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by killsmith(f): 4:58pm On Jan 28
Awkward to call governors bosses. Governors are servants elected to serve the people. Enough of the elevation of criminals.

2 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Fiscus105(m): 4:58pm On Jan 28
Meanwhile, if they start giving them roles, they would start making government ungovernable for their principals.

Naija people with their passion for power is second to none.

Everyone wants to become leader.

If everyone is a leader,who will be followers?
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by ecolime(m): 4:59pm On Jan 28
It's mainly due to Disloyalty.

1 Like

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by RayRay06677(m): 5:00pm On Jan 28
How about president and deputy president.

Only GEJ made it, even osibanjo was balablued

6 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Day169: 5:01pm On Jan 28
.. A remarkable statistic!
It reflects a lack of trust and harmony between the governors and their deputies, probably because of greed (as the lust for money and power often leads to betrayal), which tears them apart.
I dare say that a major part of the 10 who ascended to the governorship occurred when their principals were removed by 'natural' causes.

3 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Coldspice: 5:02pm On Jan 28
Shuaibu will be reading this with hot tears in his eyes.

1 Like

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by BondRiv: 5:02pm On Jan 28
The deputies are not usually persons with political muscles.

4 Likes

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by bestman09(m): 5:02pm On Jan 28
angry
Mostly because of disloyalty
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by honor4me: 5:03pm On Jan 28
Domaining101:
Hello, I need someone that knows how to install windows 10 on external hard drives so that i can run the OS from my external harddrive without needing to install Windows on my laptop. If you know how to do it and you're in Lagos , drop price, location and contact.

Why not install Tail operating system?

1 Like

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Lannyjoe4u: 5:07pm On Jan 28
Ok
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by aktolly54(m): 5:10pm On Jan 28
Akala for oyo State?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by RickyJesus: 5:16pm On Jan 28
Domaining101:

It's an operating system.
Re: Only 10 Of 149 Deputy Governors Took Over From Bosses Since 1999 by Bukola94: 5:19pm On Jan 28
RayRay06677:
How about president and deputy president.

Only GEJ made it, even osibanjo was balablued
And GEJ was successful at it, he was better than Buhari by kilometres. He was far miss. Yaradua and GEJ combo was a blessing to 9ja. That was the only atom that makes me to respect OBJ till date.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Port-Harcourt Refinery Producing 5million Litres Daily; NNPC Deploys 200 Trucks / Why APC Is Afraid Of Atiku – PDP / Ondo Gov, Aiyedatiwa Dissolves LGA/LCDAs Caretaker Committees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.