Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction (13398 Views)

FG Orders Contractor Back To Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction Site / Umahi Orders Soldiers To Flog Civil Servants In Ebonyi For Coming Late (Video) / Umahi Orders The Arrest Of Godfrey Chikwere Over Facebook Post He Made (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Paraman: 8:24pm On Jan 28
The Federal Government has ordered the immediate suspension of reconstruction work at the Eleme-Onne section of the East-West Road in Rivers State.

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, disclosed this while speaking to newsmen in Port Harcourt on Sunday.

Umahi said the order became imperative following the use of sub-standard materials by the contractor handling the project.

While noting that he inspected the work the previous day (Saturday), he also expressed sadness over the slow pace of work even after the government had made an advance payment of N33 billion.

The Minister explained that the work has to stop pending when some irregularities concerning the project are resolved, saying with the pace of work by the contractors the work cannot be completed in five years.

“The project must benefit the people. The rainy season is coming in two months and the people will go ahead suffering.

“You have our (FB) N33 billion. Do you know what the interest rate is every month on the bill?

“The President had to order me in September to come here and order the payment because some people in Rivers State went to see the President and we paid you N33 billion, since that time till now,” he said.

He further said, ” I saw that the sand they are using is not river sharp. What we paid for is river sharp sand.

“I’m not satisfied. The idea is that when you place the lumps, the lump would be good. But when you place the sharp sand there are some voids between the lumps.

“And so the sand will go and fill it and it becomes a compact monolithic pavement structure. When I saw that sand I wasn’t happy.

“And I took that sand and put it on my palm and poured water and I was squizzing it, and at the end of the day, there was nothing left.

“That confirmed that it was very clear. So I directed that the company should be written and they should ensure that they remove the sand.”

Continuing, he said, “I was very shocked that instead of removing the sand they had continued with the sand.

“The contractor is carrying out the job, but at snail speed. If we allow him even another five years he will not finish So we are not going to allow him.”

He, however, said a meeting with the contractor has been scheduled to look at the anomalies after which the errors would be ex-rayed and the new timeline would be given to ensure the project is completed.

https://punchng.com/fg-orders-suspension-of-eleme-onne-east-west-road-construction/?amp

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Jidics: 8:33pm On Jan 28
I was once in that road some years back

And it was hell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by BOSSkesh(m): 8:34pm On Jan 28
This is good tbh
We better have good roads than can stand the test of time

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by PrinceOfLagos: 8:35pm On Jan 28
Next time give the contract to Julius Berger that we are sure will use quality materials for the road construction . Most of this local construction companies are criminals .

Umahi you're doing well

God bless the federal republic of Nigeria

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Franklyspeakin: 8:43pm On Jan 28
Minister wey sabi

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by matify83: 9:03pm On Jan 28
I don't know why we are giving such huge contracts to local boys who have no scruples and name to protect.

Give it to one of the construction giants and go to sleep. They cherish their names more than what they will gain from such contracts.

"You don't train pilots using commercial flights"

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by TimeManager(m): 9:19pm On Jan 28
The wickedness of an average nigerian yet they blame Government for everything. This has always been their MO, after being paid, they abandon the project half way, then Government budget a fresh fund for the same project at an inflated price.

-kiss the truth!

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by westlius(m): 9:35pm On Jan 28
Politicians has used that road to cash out enough billions ova d years
And trailers are falling down every week on the road

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Abufo: 10:56pm On Jan 28
PrinceOfLagos:
Next time give the contract to Julius Berger that we are sure will use quality materials for the road construction . Most of this local construction companies are criminals .

Umahi you're doing well

The contract was given to RCC a multinational company............they want to run us street!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Dpharisee: 11:22pm On Jan 28
N33B advance Payment and he is using swamp sand, Nigerians are really greedy

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by ruggedtimi(m): 1:16am On Jan 29
Make traffic no hold u for that road..u go dey fear make container no fall ontop you

12 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Reelz: 5:28am On Jan 29
Keep doing what that useless fashola could not do in 8 years.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by oyeb15: 6:53am On Jan 29
Someone should tell my one good thing this Tinubu government has achieved so far.

Just one.
Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by triple996(m): 6:53am On Jan 29
who do Nigeria this thing.
Imagine
Using substandard materials 4 a fedral government job u were paid billions.

10 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by SoNature(m): 6:54am On Jan 29
The best thing that ever happens to a ministry, department or agency is having a committed professional head it. Engr Dave Umahi is a square peg in a square hole!

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by datola: 6:55am On Jan 29
What kind of contractor is that

Somebody said it's RCC. If true what could be wrong with the company because the quality of their work is better that Julius Berger's

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Nbote(m): 6:55am On Jan 29
It is impressive hearing a Nigerian Minister talking about a project quality in details like this.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by searchng4love: 6:56am On Jan 29
Name of the contractor

1 Like

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by ppogba: 6:57am On Jan 29
One of the roundest peg in the roundest hole in this administration.

If I were to be a woman and this man toasted me with this jargons and explanations given here, walahi, I go open legs same night

Well done honorable Minister.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Nwaokunkpara: 6:58am On Jan 29
The looting process in the construction of that road is not favoring him so he has to stop it and restrategize

3 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:58am On Jan 29
Umahi knows his onions on civil engineering especially road construction

8 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by ppogba: 6:59am On Jan 29
oyeb15:
Someone should tell my one good thing this Tinubu government has achieved so far.

Just one.

They have stopped the fuel subsidy scam that has put Nigeria in it's present predicament.

End of discussion.

Good Morning sir.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by ppogba: 7:00am On Jan 29
Nwaokunkpara:
The looting process in the construction of that road is not favoring him so he has to stop it and restrategize

Even with his explanation?

Some of you are irredeemable even if you join Redeemed Church

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by SoNature(m): 7:01am On Jan 29
PrinceOfLagos:

Umahi you're doing well

I don't agree with you. Julius Berger isn't the only construction company in Nigeria.

Other companies have to do jobs and grow too. We just need to let them know that it isn't business as usual. Politicians spoilt those companies.

6 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Anguldi(m): 7:03am On Jan 29
Chiefs and boys don collect their share. Contractor go collect undecided. This is the opportunity for southern Nigeria to have roads. Kudos to Engr. Umahi as he can blast contractors on site

3 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by money121(m): 7:03am On Jan 29
Ok
Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by Judolisco(m): 7:04am On Jan 29
oyeb15:

Just one.
Go to immigration and apply for your passport and see how long it will take for u to get it?

4 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by olarent: 7:04am On Jan 29
That is why is good to have expert in ieach ministry to overseas.

2 Likes

Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by ObalendeCMS: 7:05am On Jan 29
Wa gbayi Umahi!
Re: Umahi Orders Suspension Of Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction by tete7000(m): 7:05am On Jan 29
PrinceOfLagos:

Umahi you're doing well

The local ones too need to be encouraged to grow. It is not always about the company but standard. Let put proper standards in place and everyone who wants to be reckoned with will fall in.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will You Vote For GEJ If He Goes For Second Term? / SHOCKER: APC Govs Help Aregbesola To Pay Salaries –PDP / 7000 People Displaced In Benue And Other Emerging Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.