Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed (425 Views)

Bida Poly Lecturer Lecturing One Student Who Attended His Class (Photo) / IPPIS: Nigerian Lecturers Do Not Hold Multiple Full Time Lecturing Jobs / Lecturing Positions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Stupidanimal: 8:07am On Jan 29
A man asked my dad to bring an undisclosed amount of money for a lecturing connections in one of the Federal Polytechnics in the South - I would not disclose the school.

For context, I went with my father to the Polytechnic that day and the man is, as perceived, one of the big shots in the school. Maybe the Dean or something - I don't know the hierarchy strata of Polytechnics

But the problem is, the man made it clear to us that certain courses would have to be accredited first. and then when the courses have been successfully accredited, they would push my name for final screening and final employment. He made it clear though that the final decision is not his.

I didn't object there, but later having thought about it, I saw all shades of wrong in the man's statement and would appreciate your input. I used to think that you first get your teachers ready, on ground, in addition to the other demands you might be required to meet in the accreditation process. I don't think it is accreditation first then lecturers, it should be lecturers and other things in the accreditation process. After all, what is an accreditation? Is it not an exercise to verify that you are up to the task and can deliver academically? Or am I wrong?

I have not told my father that I think he's getting scammed and should count me out. I made it clear to him several times that employees in government institutions do not hire or even have the ability, but he has rebuffed me several times claiming that a university registrar (or an equivalent in a Polytechnic) does, or at least forwards the names for final employment. You don't get job connecting with people at employee level especially in government institutions. If they have the connect or are able to do it themselves, then they themselves wouldn't be working there, or am I wrong? I would appreciate your input.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by dawnomike(m): 8:52am On Jan 29
Stupidanimal:
A man asked my dad to bring an undisclosed amount of money for a lecturing connections in one of the Federal Polytechnics in the South - I would not disclose the school.

For context, I went with my father to the Polytechnic that day and the man is, as perceived, one of the big shots in the school. Maybe the Dean or something - I don't know the hierarchy strata of Polytechnics

But the problem is, the man made it clear to us that certain courses would have to be accredited first. and then when the courses have been successfully accredited, they would push my name for final screening and final employment. He made it clear though that the final decision is not his.

I didn't object there, but later having thought about it, I saw all shades of wrong in the man's statement and would appreciate your input. I used to think that you first get your teachers ready, on ground, in addition to the other demands you might be required to meet in the accreditation process. I don't think it is accreditation first then lecturers, it should be lecturers and other things in the accreditation process. After all, what is an accreditation? Is it not an exercise to verify that you are up to the task and can deliver academically? Or am I wrong?

I have not told my father that I think he's getting scammed and should count me out. I made it clear to him several times that employees in government institutions do not hire or even have the ability, but he has rebuffed me several times claiming that a university registrar (or an equivalent in a Polytechnic) does, or at least forwards the names for final employment. You don't get job connecting with people at employee level especially in government institutions. If they have the connect or are able to do it themselves, then they themselves wouldn't be working there, or am I wrong? I would appreciate your input.
Be glad the man was sincere enough to tell you the reality!
It is a 50/50 chance.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Stupidanimal: 12:52pm On Jan 29
dawnomike:
Be glad the man was sincere enough to tell you the reality!
It is a 50/50 chance.

I am not talking about the chances of employment. Please understand me. I am asking if schools get accredited first before they hire lecturers or they don't need to hire lecturers in the accreditation process.
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by willi926(m): 4:31pm On Jan 29
Follow your instincts. As Ur mind is screaming to u that its scam, then maybe its a scam. But then life is a risk, if u don't risk it u May not know if its real.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by yomi531(m): 4:50pm On Jan 29
Stupidanimal:

I am not talking about the chances of employment. Please understand me. I am asking if schools get accredited first before they hire lecturers or they don't need to hire lecturers in the accreditation process.
Yeah its true. If the Department is a new one , they will have to accredit first b4 taking lecturers on permanent employment. U will start as a adhoc staff first. My sis is presently working in a new dept in a university as an adhoc staff. Permanency comes much later after accreditation

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by suleimanshehu: 8:00pm On Jan 29
Stupidanimal:

Though, your concerns are very valid, your dad wants what is best for you. If it is one of the new Fedpoly they are indeed in need of Academic staff. However, unlike before federal tertiary institutions nowadays don't have the sole autonomy to employ their manpower, they have to apply through the federal ministry of education, Office of the Head of service of the federation, office of the accountant general of the federation, national board for technical education i.e. in the case of polytechnic, while National University commission in the case of Universities. Employment in Nigeria this days is all about taking risk especially if you don't have direct political connection or some body working in strategic establishment like NUC, TETFUND, Federal Ministry of Education etc. If the money is not that much, you can take the risk, but put it behind your mind that whether you get the job or not, it is the will of God.
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by suleimanshehu: 8:02pm On Jan 29
Stupidanimal:

In the main time apart from connection to get lecturing job, try and develop yourself academically by at least pursuing Your Masters degree, also, try and make publication of your research in a reputable journals at least try and have 3-5 research publications, you will have an advantage over others in a competitive academic job offer or recruitment. Wishing you all the best.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Stupidanimal: 8:30pm On Jan 29
yomi531:
Yeah its true. If the Department is a new one , they will have to accredit first b4 taking lecturers on permanent employment. U will start as a adhoc staff first. My sis is presently working in a new dept in a university as an adhoc staff. Permanency comes much later after accreditation

"New" as you put it doesn't mean not accredited. Would the government give a go-ahead for federal institutions owned by them to hire members of staff in an unaccredited department? I think that is the state of your response. If your response is no, then your appointment as a make-shift lecturer or adhoc as you call it carries no weight since it didn't come from them? Who is your sister working for, the school or the government? By working for, I mean who bankrolls her? If the school pays her salary, then that is very unfeasible especially in federal schools - the Polytechnic in question is a federal Poly.

I still have to ask you though: accredit first, before taking lecturers? Are you sure of what you're saying? That's quite strange.

What then do they require during the accreditation process?

I think one of them is the crop of your lecturers, their qualifications and experience. Can you successfully pass the accreditation exercise without providing these (proving that you are up to the task)?

Suppose they hire you as an adhoc staff and then you begin working, who would pay you? The government?
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Stupidanimal: 8:39pm On Jan 29
suleimanshehu:
Though, your concerns are very valid, your dad wants what is best for you. If it is one of the new Fedpoly they are indeed in need of Academic staff. However, unlike before federal tertiary institutions nowadays don't have the sole autonomy to employ their manpower, they have to apply through the federal ministry of education, Office of the Head of service of the federation, office of the accountant general of the federation, national board for technical education i.e. in the case of polytechnic, while National University commission in the case of Universities. Employment in Nigeria this days is all about taking risk especially if you don't have direct political connection or some body working in strategic establishment like NUC, TETFUND, Federal Ministry of Education etc. If the money is not that much, you can take the risk, but put it behind your mind that whether you get the job or not, it is the will of God.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate Shehu.

Now let me talk about what you said.

I don't think there was every a time federal institutions enjoy such autonomy. You only hire manpower for your business. Even the registrar, the VC and lecturers are employees like any other person. It's just that some are in a position to overseer the place. They have to apply. Always.

Calculated risk always pay off, not this one. Do you think accreditation comes first before hiring? Would you get a license to start, say, a secondary school if you don't have somethings put in place like teachers, lab, etc?
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Cassandraloius: 10:03pm On Jan 29
Everything revolves around taking risk, just follow your heart.
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Talkisneeded: 7:47am On Jan 30
Stupidanimal:

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate Shehu.

Now let me talk about what you said.

I don't think there was every a time federal institutions enjoy such autonomy. You only hire manpower for your business. Even the registrar, the VC and lecturers are employees like any other person. It's just that some are in a position to overseer the place. They have to apply. Always.

Seems your mind is already made-up... Why not just follow your heart and find solace in another thing... Off you are this skeptical about it,why not leave it sir... You are seeing massive loopholes plus the fact that it's 50/50 already

Calculated risk always pay off, not this one. Do you think accreditation comes first before hiring? Would you get a license to start, say, a secondary school if you don't have somethings put in place like teachers, lab, etc?
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by yomi531(m): 8:08am On Jan 30
Stupidanimal:

"New" as you put it doesn't mean not accredited. Would the government give a go-ahead for federal institutions owned by them to hire members of staff in an unaccredited department? I think that is the state of your response. If your response is no, then your appointment as a make-shift lecturer or adhoc as you call it carries no weight since it didn't come from them? Who is your sister working for, the school or the government? By working for, I mean who bankrolls her? If the school pays her salary, then that is very unfeasible especially in federal schools - the Polytechnic in question is a federal Poly.

I still have to ask you though: accredit first, before taking lecturers? Are you sure of what you're saying? That's quite strange.

What then do they require during the accreditation process?

I think one of them is the crop of your lecturers, their qualifications and experience. Can you successfully pass the accreditation exercise without providing these (proving that you are up to the task)?

Suppose they hire you as an adhoc staff and then you begin working, who would pay you? The government?
For now, its the sch that pays them(my sis and co) per course they lecture. I know about sch administration more than u. My Dad was a Principal staff in a federal poly back in the days. I grew up in sch area. So no be mouth talk. I know what I'm saying
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by Stupidanimal: 8:22pm On Jan 30
yomi531:
For now, its the sch that pays them(my sis and co) per course they lecture. I know about sch administration more than u. My Dad was a Principal staff in a federal poly back in the days. I grew up in sch area. So no be mouth talk. I know what I'm saying

@ bolded: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink

You don't sound like someone who knows administration of schools more than I do because you just said - put in a different context - a man can vote on election day and then when he's done voting, all the details that shows that he is an eligible voter can now be taken into consideration during accreditation. Accreditation is what gives you the license to teach. If you have scaled that stage, then you might as well hire two lecturers for a hundred man's work or hire none at all. Would hiring lecturers be necessary if you have already been accredited? Would accreditation carry any weight if the caliber of your teachers are not involved? Does it make sense?

Now, I beg your pardon because I didn't bother to ask you about the type of school your sister teaches, but big federal universities might hire contract staff because they have means of generating additional revenue, and mind you, they often do, because the government would not give a go-ahead to hire. If she was hired by my university, OAU, for instance, then as a federal university, they would be able to pay her salaries, but they are not giving her conditions of employment - wait first one of our dept is not accredited; when it is, we would hire you.

Totally different scenarios.

Even if it is not a big uni or Poly, they might still be able to hire and pay your salary independent of the government's intervention, but smaller institutions rarely do. Even government secondary schools can, but despite having a biting shortage of teachers, do they?

In fact, the default assumption one makes when they try to work with any government institutions is that the government is responsible for salaries until those at the management position say otherwise. So I am very on point.
Re: Lecturing Connections: Nairalanders, Am I About To Be Scammed by yomi531(m): 8:08am On Jan 31
Stupidanimal:

@ bolded: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink

You don't sound like someone who knows administration of schools more than I do because you just said - put in a different context - a man can vote on election day and then when he's done voting, all the details that shows that he is an eligible voter can now be taken into consideration during accreditation. Accreditation is what gives you the license to teach. If you have scaled that stage, then you might as well hire two lecturers for a hundred man's work or hire none at all. Would hiring lecturers be necessary if you have already been accredited? Would accreditation carry any weight if the caliber of your teachers are not involved? Does it make sense?

Now, I beg your pardon because I didn't bother to ask you about the type of school your sister teaches, but big federal universities might hire contract staff because they have means of generating additional revenue, and mind you, they often do, because the government would not give a go-ahead to hire. If she was hired by my university, OAU, for instance, then as a federal university, they would be able to pay her salaries, but they are not giving her conditions of employment - wait first one of our dept is not accredited; when it is, we would hire you.

Totally different scenarios.

Even if it is not a big uni or Poly, they might still be able to hire and pay your salary independent of the government's intervention, but smaller institutions rarely do. Even government secondary schools can, but despite having a biting shortage of teachers, do they?

In fact, the default assumption one makes when they try to work with any government institutions is that the government is responsible for salaries until those at the management position say otherwise. So I am very on point.
My sister lectures in Unical. Their Dept(Survey dept) just has their HOD as the only permanent staff. Others numbering about 8-10 are on Contract(adhoc staffs). They are all waiting for final approval from Abuja for them to be made permanent and pensionable. Since 2021 ooo. I know what I'm saying baba...

(1) (Reply)

Education / Please Help / Jamb License Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.