Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,685 members, 7,820,388 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch (18387 Views)

Super Eagles Remember Samuel Okwaraji Who Died While Playing Against Angola / NFF Remembers Samuel Okwaraji (Photos) / Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by goodconsience77: 12:17pm On Jan 31
Memory of a great hero of football in Nigeria[i][/i]
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Maxtipulation(m): 12:17pm On Jan 31
Don't worry wotowoto loading...
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by DavSagacity(m): 12:23pm On Jan 31
HarryGleb:
And ironically, that was the last time Nigeria beat Angola.
I strongly believe that record will change on Friday Feb 2nd
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by chickenfoot: 12:25pm On Jan 31
HarryGleb:
says who? Nigeria beat Angola in 2018.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Dharmie1036(m): 12:25pm On Jan 31
We must whitewash those Angolans with our solid defence
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Honestey: 12:28pm On Jan 31
The spirit of Okwaraji shall descend on eagles on Friday and shall help our guys to humiliate Angola.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by ZaddyJ: 12:29pm On Jan 31
HarryGleb:
Lies we have met and beating them after that. During the ERA of Rashidi yekini we defeated them in some nations cup qualifier
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by lexyclasy: 12:36pm On Jan 31
HarryGleb:
Not correct Check record below

Games won: 3
Games drawn: 5
Games lost: 2
Date Match Result Score Competition
04 Apr 1981 Nigeria v Angola D 0-0 International Friendly
10 Apr 1983 Nigeria v Angola W 2-0 Africa Cup of Nations
24 Apr 1983 Angola v Nigeria L 1-0 Africa Cup of Nations
22 Jan 1989 Angola v Nigeria D 2-2 FIFA World Cup
12 Aug 1989 Nigeria v Angola W 1-0 FIFA World Cup
08 Sep 2002 Angola v Nigeria D 0-0 Africa Cup of Nations
21 Jun 2003 Nigeria v Angola D 2-2 Africa Cup of Nations
20 Jun 2004 Angola v Nigeria L 1-0 FIFA World Cup
18 Jun 2005 Nigeria v Angola D 1-1 FIFA World Cup
28 Jan 2018 Nigeria v Angola W 2-1 African Nations Championship
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by berbs: 12:48pm On Jan 31
Iyen laago melo.
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by broadman20: 12:50pm On Jan 31
Pastoshizzy:
Must you drag Okwaraji's memory into your mediocrity. The man was an icon of his time. Angola laughing right now.

After beating them you will hide your face in shame.
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Westerhoffe(m): 12:54pm On Jan 31
ogawisdom:
shocked

Super Eagles are the favorite to lift this AFCON

You play DLS2024?
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by foleskay(m): 12:59pm On Jan 31
matify83:
Remembered that day okwaraji (with his trade mark dreads) slumped on the pitch of the main bowl of the national stadium like yesterday.

It wasn't until the next day on Radio Nigeria 7am news that we got the rude shock that he passed on. (Those were the days of only NTA and FRCN)

I for one will be the happiest if Nigeria can whitewash the Angolans in our quarter final match come Friday.

Our victory will be dedicated to Samuel Okwaraji.

Wishing the SE God's speed.
Thumbs up for the analysis. I was just 1 year old in 1989 so I wasn't aware of that incidence
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by foleskay(m): 1:04pm On Jan 31
HeadNigga:
It would have been more succinct to say "it will be a good way to honour Samuel okwaraji if Nigeria defeats Angola"

It is not a do or die affair
Its a do or die affair, mate!!
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Danidinho4: 1:06pm On Jan 31
Naughtysex:
I have a feeling that Nigeria will beat Angola

Same feeling Arsenal gave me last season
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Roski1(m): 1:06pm On Jan 31
For Gods sake why can’t we allow these Eagles to do their thing in peace. Always putting them under pressure at critical times in competitions. The same Eagles that were abused and ridiculed are trying to do things right and now they are being put under unnecessary pressure. Is this the first time Nigeria is meeting Angola since Okwaraji (may his soul RIP) passed on?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Mozegee: 1:07pm On Jan 31
Zimzy:
Na them kill am?
. Sometimes it better to shut up than writing rubbish. Are you sure read article.
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Ohraykon: 1:08pm On Jan 31
Ibbawa:
To play football no be mathematics o, anything can happen

I beg get your data at 400 for one Gb. Receive data before payment. Valid for thirty days.

What's app me on zero, eight, one, two, zero, three one, one, one, six, five.
yahoozey grin
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by RealEzee(m): 1:11pm On Jan 31
SQLmastar:
I staked for an Angola win though.

I pray they crush the Super Eagles Pigeons.
eyaa kpele wink
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by RealEzee(m): 1:13pm On Jan 31
angry make una liv my super eagles alone ooo una no c angola go collect iphone wif beta mula if dem beat us ni

Una dey talk remembrance

Well after we beat angola we go stil dash dem iphone wif small cash to take for transport
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Anigreat: 1:18pm On Jan 31
shocked

Angola must win , I am rooting for them. So spare me with this bulcrap.

What has the failed Nigeria done to late icon family, despite dying in the process of patriotic service to the useless country.

Angola win this match for me.
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by dNortherner(m): 1:19pm On Jan 31
FalseProphet1:
Don't worry yourselves, Nigeria is already in the semi finals.

This I have seen.
Insh'Allah
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by dNortherner(m): 1:23pm On Jan 31
Ibbawa:
To play football no be mathematics o, anything can happen

I beg get your data at 400 for one Gb. Receive data before payment. Valid for thirty days.

What's app me on zero, eight, one, two, zero, three one, one, one, six, five.
Pal na you dey trust my fellow country men?
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by spencekat(m): 1:29pm On Jan 31
daveP:
Osimhen Hattrick, no? 😎
Let Iheanacho play,Osi will score more than a goal.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by zudozz: 1:36pm On Jan 31
damilola4162:
Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: Why Super Eagles must secure victory over Angola in honour of his heroic sacrifice on the pitch

On the fateful day of August 12, 1989, Nigerian football experienced a tragedy that left an indelible mark on the sport's history. A talented and dedicated midfielder Samuel Okwaraji collapsed on the pitch during a crucial World Cup qualifying match against Angola.

This article aims to delve into the circumstances surrounding Okwaraji's untimely demise and emphasize why the Super Eagles must honour his memory by securing victory over Angola on Friday.

The tragic incident that lead to Okwaraji's dismiss

Samuel Okwaraji, born on May 19, 1964, was more than just a football player; he was a symbol of passion and commitment to the beautiful game. As the Super Eagles faced Angola in the 1990 World Cup qualifying match, Okwaraji, who had been an integral part of the team, gave his all on the field. However, tragedy struck in the 77th minute when he suddenly collapsed due to congestive heart failure.

Despite immediate efforts to revive him, Okwaraji tragically lost his life on the pitch. The shocking incident sent shockwaves through the football community, highlighting the physical toll and challenges faced by athletes in the pursuit of excellence.

Honoring Okwaraji's legacy

In the aftermath of Okwaraji's death, the football community mourned the loss of a talented player and a true patriot. His dedication to the game and his country inspired many, making it imperative for future generations to remember his sacrifice.

As the Super Eagles takes on Angola in the quarterfinal of the Africa Cup of Nations on Friday, February 2, they carry the responsibility of upholding Okwaraji's legacy, and beyond the pursuit of victory, the team must play with the spirit and determination that he embodied. This serves as a tribute to a fallen hero who gave his all for the love of the game.

Why the Super Eagles must defeat Angola?

Defeating Angola on the football field becomes more than just a quest for points; it transforms into a symbolic act of respect and remembrance for Samuel Okwaraji. The Super Eagles must approach this encounter with a sense of purpose, understanding that the match against Angola is an opportunity to honour a man who made the ultimate sacrifice for the sport.

Additionally, securing victory over Angola becomes a testament to the resilience of Nigerian football. It demonstrates that despite the tragic loss of one of their own, the Super Eagles remain a force to be reckoned with – a team that channels adversity into strength and determination.

Samuel Okwaraji's legacy goes beyond his achievements on the football field. His tragic death serves as a reminder of the physical and emotional toll that athletes endure in their pursuit of excellence.

As the Super Eagles take on Angola on Friday they must let the encounter be a tribute to Okwaraji's memory – a celebration of his passion, dedication, and the indomitable spirit that defines Nigerian football. May his sacrifice never be forgotten, and may the Super Eagles continue to soar in his honor.

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/remembering-samuel-okwaraji-why-super-eagles-must-secure-victory-over-angola-in-honour-of-his-heroic-sacrifice-on-the-pitch/

Una dey forget say na dis yeye Angola make us no go 2006 world cup in Germany?

I expect d Eagles to remember this n beat them black n blue.
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by usagee36: 1:39pm On Jan 31
Eagles and Cape Verde for finals. 3-1.
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Morbeta11(m): 1:55pm On Jan 31
Pastoshizzy:
Must you drag Okwaraji's memory into your mediocrity. The man was an icon of his time. Angola laughing right now.

Don't mind them....
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by pacespot(m): 2:11pm On Jan 31
HarryGleb:

How sure are you?
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by pacespot(m): 2:16pm On Jan 31
This is actually a greater motivation than Angolan players receiving $7,000 each from their Central Bank if they can beat Nigeria. Anybody company promised them $250,000 if they can complete the feat of showing Super Eagles the exit door in the tournament
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Judolisco(m): 2:18pm On Jan 31
MDVCONSULTANTS:
Super eagles should be able to beat Angola if they play the way they did with Cameroon
we should attack and no sit back but maintain d same line up... Jst replace iwobi
Re: Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch by Dejicano(m): 2:21pm On Jan 31
Una no go motivate with cash na persin wey don die since una wan take motivate them. Nonsense

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Draw No Bet In Bet9ja / Sports Ministry Okays Peseiro For Super Eagles Top Job / US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.