Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times (11817 Views)

Nigerians Resort To Emergency Loans As Hardship Worsens - Financial Times UK / CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 / Attempts To Replace Naira Notes Descends Into Chaos - Financial Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Originalsly: 5:19am On Feb 02
chopnaira:

This is what Reno posted.

The Naira is a reflection of the Nigerian. Look, the Central Bank of Nigeria just paid a billion dollars to foreign airlines. Those are airlines flying the same route as Air Peace. Do you know that if you and I, as Nigerians, had flown Air Peace instead of foreign airlines, that $1 billion would have stayed and circulated in Nigeria? And when dollars and pounds stay in Nigeria, the Naira rises in power. If they leave Nigeria, our Naira goes lower and lower.

The Central Bank had to cough up $200 million to pay for human hair, as if God did not give our women hair. This is hair that Indian, Bangladeshi, and Southeast Asian women cut and dedicate to their temples. They then barely process the hair and label them Brazilian, European and Peruvian hair, and our women rush to buy them, wear them, and shake the hair angrily to accuse Tinubu of ruining the economy. If I were Tinubu, I would ban the importation of human hair. Fact-check this, as a nation, Nigeria spends more on human hair than on books.

The Naira is now our collective responsibility. When you go to Quilox to spend ₦5 million on Moët, Louis XIII Cognac, and Glenfiddich, then post your receipt on social media, you are putting downward pressure on the Naira.

Containers on the high seas coming to Nigeria with things we can produce in Nigeria are killing the Naira. There is no magic wand. If we don't band together to stand together and buy made in Nigeria, the Naira will continue to go asunder!

#TableShaker

100% on point. Anything else is putting plaster on the sore. People need to face reality... the Naira will continue to depreciate and the cost of living will continue to rise ... salaries will have less and less buying power... price of imports will go through the roof ... we will be forced to embrace local production and consumption. I was expecting the FG to ban like fish and tomato paste and rice and hair .... or place like a 100% duty on such items.
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Basicend: 6:01am On Feb 02
Very very wrong advice receipt from Tinubu's govt.

It is also known that naira floating was approved so that the no 1 man can recoup some monies quickly from his investment into the elections.

These politicians are so wicked, and I do not retract my words.

They have collected looted a nation's treasury dry, and borrowed the monies that their children should have earned in years to come.

That is the same way elders of old accumulated so much evil rituals and put their offspring in generational miseries, ailments, sufferings and poverty.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by skj1377(m): 6:08am On Feb 02
If devaluation attracts investors then Zimbabwe, Venezuela and even Argentina will be number one investment destination. All I can say is alot of stupid people in Government.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by tophempire: 6:12am On Feb 02
What the news meant to say is that the British devalued the Naira to help other Europeans patronize them.

Nigeria is not a country and has never been a country... We can either fight and die for our land or remain as slaves.
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Westerhoffe(m): 6:47am On Feb 02
matify83:
Interesting time ahead .

Our economy is overheating like the Fukushima nuclear reactor following the 2011 Japan earthquake.

The Financial regulator - CBN in several botched attempts at cooling down the economy has continued to blame every market player in the FX market but itself.

Firstly, they said Aboki FX was the major culprit for the abysmal performance of the naira, then they went heavy handed on BDCs. When those didn't save the plummeting naira, they blamed us for hedging against the naira by buying dollars to save under our beds.
They have banned and unbanned some 43 items they are confused if they are actually draining our dollar reserves.
Today, they have descended on our deposit money banks warning them to reduce their FX liquidity to only 5 Billion and sell off the rest to them.

The other day, they were paying off huge FX backlogs up to the tune of 2.5 billion dollars so far, yet the nation thirsts for "Benjamins" to carry on its basic functions. Show me a MAN who spends all his remuneration paying "Gbese" and leaving the house to suffer want, and I will show you a FOOL.

I see an institution (CBN) clutching on straws as it drowns in the river of gross incompetence.

We labeled some NLanders pessimists when they predicted that the naira will hit 1500 to the dollars. It didn't take 3 months for it to come true.

I humble suggests that Ms. Hadiza Bala (Asiwaju's class monitor) pencils the finance minister and Cardoso as the first to be shown the door for not meeting the nation's expectations.

Let's remind ourselves of the definition of INSANITY once more:

Doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

A Nairalander once attacked me for saying with the way this dollar thing is going, it will get to ₦1,200 per dollar. I said ₦1,200 o! Now it's at ₦1500+.
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Lifemanage: 7:02am On Feb 02
Lies
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by donborg(m): 7:59am On Feb 02
chopnaira:

This is what Reno posted.

The Naira is a reflection of the Nigerian. Look, the Central Bank of Nigeria just paid a billion dollars to foreign airlines. Those are airlines flying the same route as Air Peace. Do you know that if you and I, as Nigerians, had flown Air Peace instead of foreign airlines, that $1 billion would have stayed and circulated in Nigeria? And when dollars and pounds stay in Nigeria, the Naira rises in power. If they leave Nigeria, our Naira goes lower and lower.

The Central Bank had to cough up $200 million to pay for human hair, as if God did not give our women hair. This is hair that Indian, Bangladeshi, and Southeast Asian women cut and dedicate to their temples. They then barely process the hair and label them Brazilian, European and Peruvian hair, and our women rush to buy them, wear them, and shake the hair angrily to accuse Tinubu of ruining the economy. If I were Tinubu, I would ban the importation of human hair. Fact-check this, as a nation, Nigeria spends more on human hair than on books.

The Naira is now our collective responsibility. When you go to Quilox to spend ₦5 million on Moët, Louis XIII Cognac, and Glenfiddich, then post your receipt on social media, you are putting downward pressure on the Naira.

Containers on the high seas coming to Nigeria with things we can produce in Nigeria are killing the Naira. There is no magic wand. If we don't band together to stand together and buy made in Nigeria, the Naira will continue to go asunder!

#TableShaker

Reno Omokri is just putting the cart before the horse. You can't ask Nigerians to grow their economy just like that out of magic then blame Nigerians for their choices of life. It's just like blaming a man who you asked to till the land without giving him a hoe and Cutlass, for not doing his job. How can a bare hand till the ground? That's preposterous.

The primary problem of Nigeria is that the Banks in Nigeria do not make their profits by growing the economy., hence their high interest rates of 20 percent ( highest in the world). No country in the world can grow it's economy with such an interest rate without foreign investment.

The Federal Government of Nigeria BRIBES THE BANKS TO KEEP THE INTEREST RATES HIGH. The likes of Reno Omokri knows this fact but will never say the truth.

Every month, The FG instead of giving dollar earnings to the states to use as they wish, converts the dollar into Naira, then goes to the CBN for the naira equivalent. The CBN then goes to the banks and borrows the cash at the prevalent interest rate, thereby ensuring handsome, stable profit for Nigerian banks every month doing absolutely nothing.

With this, what incentives will the banks have to take the risks and grow the economy by lowering interest rates to like 5 percent (like in Europe and America)?

If the Nigerian government is truly serious about diversifying our economy from oil, they should lower the interest rates of the Banks. They should stop giving banks awoof money every month so they'll lend money to the real sectors of the economy.

The government should also stop the multiple exchange rates and merge it into one.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Okiemute101: 8:02am On Feb 02
Time to put in more energy in the skill of FOREX trading... if you know you know... earning in dollars is the PRIME now. 9ja matter no go concern you again walahi
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by omojeesu(m): 8:33am On Feb 02
For cheap and slave labour!!!!
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by ogbonti: 8:34am On Feb 02
Kenochi:
Nigeria is a very funny country,we know the solutions but we are looking for a short cut or like the Americans say a quick fix
The truth is all this wouldn't work unless we address the reason why we are in this dilemma
We are not an Exporting country,simple

I watched on a television show this morning where South Korea released their January figures,this country exported products worth 52 billion dollars and Switzerland also exported products worth more than 10+ billion dollars in January
Ask Nigeria to released the figures for Exported products and you will be ashamed for this country,Tufia!!!!

Let this government know that the only way forward is to start looking closely at items we can start exporting in large quantities or better still they should start a massive import substitution campaign
The naira is simply responding to the Economy,very little exportation of goods and services is going on

I strongly believe it is doable and I am sure there are folks in this government who are thinking in that direction

NA statistics we go chop ? --------- it is a TOWNHALL of ba la blu----- BLU BLU BLU---- bu la ba grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Versal: 9:13am On Feb 02
Attract investors to come and do what?
Do they now have Basic Amenities?
Zoogeria is hopeless
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Anonimoux: 10:00am On Feb 02
You want to attract foreign investors yet your country infrastructure is in shambles, terrible economic policies

Which light are the foreign investors going to use to power their operations.

Before attracting foreign investors, put your economic infrastructure in good shape.

Are these people just daft or what?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by RepoMan007: 10:10am On Feb 02
The sudden jump from around N900 to N1500 is definitely devaluation by the CBN and not gradual weakening.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by chrisxxx(m): 10:39am On Feb 02
sorepco:
It helps China. Can'tyou see the way America is forcing China to revalue her devalued currency??
A devalued currency helps a country that produces and manufacture things, not one that only imports because if you only import as we do in Nigeria then the more we need the dollars. Were we a massive producing country then the dollar will not be this high as more dollars will be coming in than going out!

God bless you. You got it. How can someone importing devalue his money?
Our leaders are headless.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Anatolia: 12:43pm On Feb 02
Kenochi:
Nigeria is a very funny country,we know the solutions but we are looking for a short cut or like the Americans say a quick fix
The truth is all this wouldn't work unless we address the reason why we are in this dilemma
We are not an Exporting country,simple

I watched on a television show this morning where South Korea released their January figures,this country exported products worth 52 billion dollars and Switzerland also exported products worth more than 10+ billion dollars in January
Ask Nigeria to released the figures for Exported products and you will be ashamed for this country,Tufia!!!!

Let this government know that the only way forward is to start looking closely at items we can start exporting in large quantities or better still they should start a massive import substitution campaign
The naira is simply responding to the Economy,very little exportation of goods and services is going on

I strongly believe it is doable and I am sure there are folks in this government who are thinking in that direction

Good analysis but we have to deal with hunger in the land.
Re: Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times by Sladem05: 9:46pm On Feb 02
sorepco:
It helps China. Can'tyou see the way America is forcing China to revalue her devalued currency??
A devalued currency helps a country that produces and manufacture things, not one that only imports because if you only import as we do in Nigeria then the more we need the dollars. Were we a massive producing country then the dollar will not be this high as more dollars will be coming in than going out!

Those economies are actually producing something. Almost every thing we utilise comes out of
The Western World or East Asia.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Lucrative Is Uber Business? / Alaba Market Traders Kick Against Plan By Lagos To Demolish Secretariat / Pls I Need Urgent 10,000 Naira Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.