Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,172 members, 7,829,188 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) (4493 Views)

Nigerians Using FCT Police Emergency Numbers To Obtain Loans — CP / Lagos Government Releases Impounded Vehicles To Their Owners / Oyo Govt, NCC Launches '615' As New Emergency Number In Oyo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by stacyadams: 3:22am On Feb 02
Useless grin. Response time 5 hours later

Pack any youngblood in the vicinity and charge em for jaywalking cheesy grin
Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by SolomonGrandi: 4:47am On Feb 02
casualobserver:
This is why we don’t develop as a nation. Every state creating there own emergency numbers.

Emergency numbers should be the same all over the country. The mobile operator will then route your call to the right service based on the location of your base station. If you are in sapele it knows you are in Edo state and directs your call to Edo state emergency service. If you are in ilesha, you dial the same number and it will route your call to the Oyo state emergency service if they have one.

Bro these same numbers have been in use in Lagos since 2014.

739 was for LRU and 112 for Police before they were harmonized

Personally I’ve called 112 in 2015 and 739 in 2018 and emergency responders came in approximately 11-15 minutes

No jokes.

1 Like

Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by ogbonti: 8:38am On Feb 02
INTEGRITYA1:
Nice idea. People should learn to use those numbers accordingly and when need arises. Not that you just feel like calling and you begin to call emergency numbers anyhow.

Some people do flash such numbers self.

even in America they call 911 for fun - humans will be humans anywhere in the world
Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by ogbonti: 8:42am On Feb 02
stacyadams:
Useless grin. Response time 5 hours later

Pack any youngblood in the vicinity and charge em for jaywalking cheesy grin

stop demonizing every innovation in Nigeria - when America started 911 it was like that - America improved over time

we will also improve - stop the self hating - nothing becomes great overnight - even Messi did not win the world cup overnight

it took him 5 tries (2006, 2010, 2014, 2018 and 2022) to win the World Cup - so stop the downtalks biko grin
Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by Osaremwantaelvi(m): 9:18am On Feb 02
Benin wen we day, network go fail joor
Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by casualobserver: 11:36am On Feb 02
DatNaijaGuy:

112 is the national emergency number.

I didn’t know that. It used to be 999 when I was young.

2 Likes

Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by naptu2: 2:04pm On Feb 02
casualobserver:

I didn’t know that. It used to be 999 when I was young.

Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by naptu2: 2:06pm On Feb 02
naptu2:

We did and we do.

We had 199 back when P&T and Nitel were still operating. Chaos ensued when private telecoms operators arrived and Nitel went comatose. Every telecoms company had its own number and many states also had their own numbers. Lagos State had 112 and 767 as emergency numbers. Finally the NCC has developed a project to have a single 3 digit emergency number for the whole of Nigeria and the number is 112.

You can see 112 listed as one of the numbers in my second post (112 is the general emergency number, but some agencies still have their own specific numbers).

naptu2:

Telephone service was provided by P&T (Posts And Telecoms) which became Nitel in 1985. There were area codes - Ikoyi was 68, Victoria Island was 61, Lagos Island was 62, Festac was 88, Ikeja was 97, etc.

You had to wait for a dialling tone before you could make a call. We were lucky, the government paid our phone bill.

There were huge telephone books (1978, 1979, 1982 and 1983) and you could find people's phone numbers with the telephone books.

Some short codes were 199 (emergency), 198 (speaking clock), but I can't remember what the ring back short code was.

You had to book international calls with the operator.

naptu2:

We used to have a single national three digit emergency number back when Nitel was the only service provider (the number was 199).

The system became disorganised when private operators were given licenses and Nitel eventually collapsed. Each service provider and state had its own emergency number. The NCC is trying to reintroduce a single national three digit emergency number.

1 Like

Re: Edo State Government Releases New Emergency Numbers (112 & 739) by casualobserver: 2:14pm On Feb 02
naptu2:

Possibly

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Dirty War Over Money Tears Punch Apart-a Must Read / El-rufai: Why I’m Standing By Buhari – Bakare / Rejection Of Clark’s Nominee Brews Rift With Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.