Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn (19791 Views)

Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer / BUA Group, French Firm Seal Deal For 200,000bpd Refinery / Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by tefund(m): 12:04pm On Feb 02
They want to make it an all french affair.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by dangoteinlaw: 12:06pm On Feb 02
Multichoice is going down. Ones Nigerians access unlimited data plans no one will know they exist. If you use apple tv you will hate cable tv even Netflix is nothing compared to apple tv plus.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by BoldBrainz(m): 12:07pm On Feb 02
The French are notorious for their vicious cut-throat approach towards business. Though a potential take-over might see significant reforms in their service delivery, but Nigerians mostly will pay through their noses just to watch cable.

The most annoying part of being a Nigerian is that we complain about things then return to adjusting and carrying on like the effects don't actually bite. As we speak, citizens of Cameroon have been on a massive MTN boycott for the past one month in protest of the astronomical rates being charged for services, mostly data. But over here, we go open twitter, abuse MTN with memes, then adjust yansh and pay the new rates.

This country just defies any logical explanation in all indices.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Baztardidiot: 12:08pm On Feb 02
All dstv programs are on repeat.day ib day out. Only ball that is recent.all the useless stations all repeat movies..series.documentary....its so annoying
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 12:10pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:
It is not by selling Multichoice or changing the name like Nigerian political parties.

Multichoice may end like Nokia. The billing in Nigeria is very high and very unfair. Pay-as-you-view model is the only way out for Multichoice, and it is the fair model for subscribers.

Someone who goes to work during the day and stays at home only at night shouldn't pay monthly subscription. How many hours in the month does the person have to watch TV? This is the scam MTN used on Nigerians until Glo came. MTN rejected billing per second. But in less than a month after Glo came with billing per second, MTN quickly started billing per second.

On-demand video streaming is here to stay.

Pay per view cannot work in a cable tv setup...because they have to make enough money to pay for rights to the channels they air, whatever the viewing figures are

THat's why they use bouquetsystem all over Africa (nothing like pay per view IN any country DSTV operates in.).

It is the same thing with Netflix and Amazon. I watch about say 6 hours of amazon montly, and my 2.something thousand naira is deducted from my akant like clockwork.

2 Likes

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by ashawopikin(m): 12:10pm On Feb 02
richiemcgold:
So MultiChoice has such a huge value?

...if it's just a rumor I don't know, but I've once heard that this company was initially set to be located in Nigeria before they eventually opted for South Africa
yes during babangida's tenure, u know nigeria policies na, dem use corruption frustrate them
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 12:11pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

The question is which local TV company can compete with multi choice in order to make a change.

STARTIMES...

STARTIMEES

STARTIMES...

The joint venture between NTA and a chinese company?

Then there is Free TV, and if you got the data, AMAZON and Netflix.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Joseph099(m): 12:15pm On Feb 02
The government wants a reduction in insecurity, but they don't want to find a solution to extreme hunger and poverty.

Insecurity would never stop. NEVER. until the poor is allowed to breathe, until they provide jobs , until the price of common amenities as food and drugs are affordable to the common man in society.

Insecurity would never stop. If they like let them allocate billions of security votes/funds to governor's and senators. Insecurity would never stop.

Inflation keeps biting harder, prices of goods keep going higher. Purchasing power keeps getting lower. While government and their officials sleep in their high tower, and have a lot of security entourage tagging along their Range Rover.

INSECURITY WOULD NEVER STOP. We all know the new business in town now. KIDNAPPING. it would never stop. As far as the poor are neglected and they can't afford their basic needs. The president keeps flying abroad for medical treatment and exclusive Private lavish excursion. But the poor keeps dying of not been able to afford medical treatment.

Alot of people are out now to avenge the loss of their loved ones caused by how the government and others in power has neglected them. So the worse days are yet to come.

STAY SAFE.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by tuoyoojo(m): 12:15pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

The question is which local TV company can compete with multi choice in order to make a change. The government have to provide an enabling environment for companies to thrive and compete, but must of these staunch supporters of this administration dont understand the full context of what they are defending.

Do we have good electricity

Do we have good communication system

Do we produce locally

Tstv was doing so well until it went underground. I wonder what happened. I enjoyed their services then
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Dearlord(m): 12:15pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:
It is not by selling Multichoice or changing the name like Nigerian political parties.

Multichoice may end like Nokia. The billing in Nigeria is very high and very unfair. Pay-as-you-view model is the only way out for Multichoice, and it is the fair model for subscribers.

Someone who goes to work during the day and stays at home only at night shouldn't pay monthly subscription. How many hours in the month does the person have to watch TV? This is the scam MTN used on Nigerians until Glo came. MTN rejected billing per second. But in less than a month after Glo came with billing per second, MTN quickly started billing per second.

If not that anything goes in Nigeria because average Nigerians lack common sense, the toys called Goteevee and Starrtimes which are owned by the same company will not even sell. Many Nigerian homes waste money on them and dump them after a few years.

Supported, it pains me anytime I remember watching my TV that what I subscribe monthly that I had never spent up to 7hr watching it in a month, sometimes it is the day I will switch on my TV that I will subscribe and after that moment that's the end .
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 12:15pm On Feb 02
OfficialGaGa:
it doesn't matter who buys whom..... be it canal+ or canal knowledge....
one thing is for sure their modus operandi will still be the same........

to oppress Nigerians with ridiculous prices and policies... this country just get useless leaders in abundance.

The problem is the rights to those channels cost a lot of money. A lot of money. So much that DSTV has had to delist some channels. (eg Crime and Investigation network, which went because the price of the channel cost a lot of money).

And as at now, DSTV rates in Nigeria are the second cheapest for the whole Africa region. ZImbabwe subscribers pay far more than we do for the same bouquet.

Airing a channel costs money. SUper sport paid 222 million pounds steriing for EPL rights. How would they recoup their money self?

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Moniya4Real(m): 12:21pm On Feb 02
Man city was sold to who you refer to as ‘headalammers’. Child of hate and fanatism. Tribalism and religious bigotry has stifled your mental growth

ShugaSneh:
Good move, as long as it shouldn't be sold to head slammers or ewedu and amala munchers, that's my concern... thanks.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by abobote: 12:21pm On Feb 02
Multichoice is far better than Canal + bought in service delivery and price
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by abobote: 12:24pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:

If not that anything goes in Nigeria because average Nigerians lack common sense, the toys called Goteevee and Starrtimes, which function with the same subscription model and are owned by the same company, will not even sell. Many Nigerian homes waste money on them and dump them after a few years. Those toys can't move market in countries that spend wisely.
Does the canal+ do pay per view?
Canal+ charges times two of what multichoice are charging

2 Likes

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 12:26pm On Feb 02
richiemcgold:
So MultiChoice has such a huge value?

...if it's just a rumor I don't know, but I've once heard that this company was initially set to be located in Nigeria before they eventually opted for South Africa
ashawopikin:
yes during babangida's tenure, u know nigeria policies na, dem use corruption frustrate them

Multichoice was always going to be in South Africa. It was a South African company, and it was founded in 1986.

IN 1986, the arphateid government system was still en vogue in SA. NO sane african country , not even Nigeria, where everyone agreed that SOuth Africa white minority government was evil, would have allowed a south African company into the country. Infact, that was the status quo till 1993/4, when white minority rule came to an end.

Nothing to do with IBB.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Princedapace(m): 12:28pm On Feb 02
Kelvinofficial:
Multi choice is a pan African media behemoth, but France, a well known economic saboteur to most African states wants to acquire the company through Canal+, to gain total media control and control the narratives of what and how happening all over Africa are portrayed.

I for one will like a Nigerian media company or any other African media company to be in charge of what’s going on, in the African continent.

Any other thing is French toast of Smokescreen and propaganda, served with chill wine of neocolonialism.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this is just the glaring truth!

Exactly, the media is powerful and multichoice really played a huge role in the success of Nollywood and African stories told to Africans by Africans. I do not wish this sale to come to pass.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Funkyswagzz(m): 12:29pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

STARTIMES...

STARTIMEES

STARTIMES...

The joint venture between NTA and a chinese company?

Then there is Free TV, and if you got the data, AMAZON and Netflix.

These people u mentioned are not Nigerian brand apart from nta. So tell me how many channels does nta have compared to multi choice. Nigeria as a country is virtually unproductive. Most companies that are even here are foreign and some of them are living. You guys don't understand how far behind we are yet things are getting worse. We need to get out of this subsidy mess first if not dollar will be at 2000 with time.

We seriously need to build a strong institution and tinubu is barely scratching the surface. Sometimes I ask myself are there external body holding Nigeria to ransom that we can barely move. All the federal institutions we have in Nigeria should be fully equipped with modern technology to improve the standard of study we get

2 Likes

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Zigiblaze(m): 12:29pm On Feb 02
Lol, they want to finally make it difficult for Nigerians not to get a glimpse of the truth happening around the world. He who owns the media controls the people. Reprogramming on the way...
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Ooni: 12:32pm On Feb 02
They are the owners of ROK studios.

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by fawaz050(m): 12:36pm On Feb 02
where's Dangote when you need him?
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Zigiblaze(m): 12:36pm On Feb 02
There are external organisation holding Nigeria to ransom, IM"F n WB are at the top of the food chain, find out who run them, there you will find the answer. Look up there agenda for Africa and you will understand what's happening. Then observe the greed of the leaders heading nations in Africa especially Nigeria. "When you have control of the leaders you have control over the whole country"
Funkyswagzz:

These people u mentioned are not Nigerian brand apart from nta. So tell me how many channels does nta have compared to multi choice. Nigeria as a country is virtually unproductive. Most companies that are even here are foreign and some of them are living. You guys don't understand how far behind we are yet things are getting worse. We need to get out of this subsidy mess first if not dollar will be at 2000 with time.

We seriously need to build a strong institution and tinubu is barely scratching the surface. Sometimes I ask myself are there external body holding Nigeria to ransom that we can barely move
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 12:47pm On Feb 02
Funkyswagzz:

We seriously need to build a strong institution and tinubu is barely scratching the surface. Sometimes I ask myself are there external body holding Nigeria to ransom that we can barely move. All the federal institutions we have in Nigeria should be fully equipped with modern technology to improve the standard of study we get

Startimes offers far more channels than NTA associated channels. It also broadcasts Bundesliga matches as well. And it is cheaper.

And they compete with DSTV, and are part owned by NTA.

If you want a NIgerian company, ye have to accept that it would cost a lot of money. As at now, none of our money men is interested in competing with DSTV.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Chinoval: 12:48pm On Feb 02
georgee:
Are people still watching DSTV shocked shocked

I stopped subscribing for DSTV in 2017 and i have not looked back since then
What are you using now?
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Funkyswagzz(m): 12:51pm On Feb 02
tuoyoojo:

Tstv was doing so well until it went underground. I wonder what happened. I enjoyed their services then

They went underground cos the environment is not conducive enough including the manpower
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by georgee(m): 12:51pm On Feb 02
Chinoval:
What are you using now?
Better alternative

1 Like

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by finallybusy: 12:58pm On Feb 02
This is not good news. It shouldn’t pull through. I don’t want a service full of French channels. Those people see black skins as slaves.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by Procashtips(m): 1:01pm On Feb 02
People still waste money paying?
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by djon78(m): 1:06pm On Feb 02
Kelvinofficial:
Multi choice is a pan African media behemoth, but France, a well known economic saboteur to most African states wants to acquire the company through Canal+, to gain total media control and control the narratives of what and how happening all over Africa are portrayed.

I for one will like a Nigerian media company or any other African media company to be in charge of what’s going on, in the African continent.

Any other thing is French toast of Smokescreen and propaganda, served with chill wine of neocolonialism.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this is just the glaring truth!

Lol where una see money for Nigeria?

This is mergers and acquisition strategy

Multichoice the biggest Media in Africa is a small fry compared to European Media companies
Americans own Media companies are even out of the question

The only company of repute trying small in the global Markets from Africa is Telecom giant MTN

Still it's still a small fry

The problem with Africa is that her leadership didn't maximize the money made from sell of raw materials to the world

So Africa is extremely poor

African businesses are suffering same thing

Typical example is Nigeria

Opportunities were not maximized
Now we are running around in circles

2 Likes

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by 3seriez(m): 1:06pm On Feb 02
The way you see DSTV dish on top of buildings in Nigeria, that's the way you see canal+ in francophone countries. They want consolidate their dominance.
Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by nairalanda1(m): 1:09pm On Feb 02
Zigiblaze:
There are external organisation holding Nigeria to ransom, IM"F n WB are at the top of the food chain, find out who run them, there you will find the answer. Look up there agenda for Africa and you will understand what's happening. Then observe the greed of the leaders heading nations in Africa especially Nigeria. "When you have control of the leaders you have control over the whole country"

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Has nothing to do with IMF, abi IMF dey care about who runs cable in this country?

Running cable satellite in Nigeria is an expensive venture. That is why only DSTV and Startimes are around. AIring a single channel costs money. Including NIgerian channels. Paying for sports rights costs money. Heck, even paying for a tournament costs a lot of money...infact SUpersport was until the eleventh hour not going to air this AFCON because at the end the price went up. (it took some intervention from higher places before they got the rights).

That is why HITV, TSTV and co are not doing well. HITV own, the guy focused on EPL, and UCL. And forgot fans of other sports, fans of soap operas, fans of children's programmes, etc etc.(The owner meanwhile was behaving like BIG BOY with flashy cars and so on, when the loan he took he had not paid self). DSTV meanwhile upped their game . Result, they lost even the UCL and company.

DId I mention that HITV got government assistance. Even banks were made to give them loans. THey still collapsed.

Dstv works because it is owned by a very large and experienced investment company called NASPERS. Which makes enough profit to fund DSTV well well. We have Nigerian companies who could do same, but they are not interested...so here we are.

Stop blaming IMF for everything. IMF would even kukuma want more cable in Africa, as it benefits their paymasters. Not less. But no other company from the USA, UK and Europe, except Canal would invest in Africa. Not enough customers with ability to pay. DSTV is even trying...and over the years they have had to delist channels because no money to pay for them.

2 Likes

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by COMPAQ(m): 1:22pm On Feb 02
immortalcrown:

If not that anything goes in Nigeria because average Nigerians lack common sense, the toys called Goteevee and Starrtimes, which function with the same subscription model and are owned by the same company, will not even sell. Many Nigerian homes waste money on them and dump them after a few years. Those toys can't move market in countries that spend wisely.

You people have started with this nonsense again!! Show me the website of Multichoice in any other country where they offer this pay per view billing!?

Are the following not monthly subscription? Do they care whether you use it or not?

Microsoft 365
Internet subscription
Netflix
Spotify
Adobe

The content you watch on dstv is paid for in dollars. As Naira devalues, you need more Naira to pay for the same dollar, hence the price increases!!

4 Likes

Re: French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn by COMPAQ(m): 1:26pm On Feb 02
Dearlord:

Supported, it pains me anytime I remember watching my TV that what I subscribe monthly that I had never spent up to 7hr watching it in a month, sometimes it is the day I will switch on my TV that I will subscribe and after that moment that's the end .

Then you don't need it!! Cancel your damned subscription!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Depreciates To 410/$ At Official Market / 7 Problems You Can't Escape As An Entrepreneur in 2019 (here's What you must do) / New Naira: Racketeering Booms In Lagos, Abuja, Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.