Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. (270 Views)

Black S. Africans Occupy Pool After White Racists Attack Black Teens (PICS) / Palestinians Vandalize West Bank Shrine As Tensions Soar (Pix) / Driver ‘rams Israeli Checkpoint’ As Deadly Violence Engulfs The West Bank( Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by wealthpreach(m): 12:30pm On Feb 02
How many times have you heard that
Israel "occupies" the West Bank?

Probably more times than you can count.

But have you ever asked yourself whether
it's true? Or even what it means?

Let's do so now in the most
objective way possible; that is,

in the way that all territorial questions
everywhere else in the world are resolved.

To do this, we must look at the law.

But first, we need a little history.

Up until 100 years ago, the areas now called
Israel, the West Bank, Gaza, and all the countries

around them€”were part of the Ottoman Empire,
which ruled over a vast area and many peoples.

Neither the Jews nor those
Arabs we now call Palestinians had a state, though the Jews had a
nationalist movement calling for one.

Everything changed after World War I.
The Ottomans fought on the losing side with Germany. By end of the war in
1918, their empire had disintegrated,

leaving the British and French in
control of much of its territory.

In earlier times, the victors would likely
have kept this land as colonies for themselves.

But there was a new spirit of democracy in
the air. The allies€”including the British, French, and Americans€”agreed
that the former Ottoman lands should be allowed to become
independent nation-states.

After the war, the nations of the world created
the League of Nations, a precursor to the United Nations. Meeting in San Remo, Italy in 1920, they set up what was known as "the Mandate system."

The colonies of the defeated powers Germany and the Ottoman Empire were converted into distinct geopolitical entities, which became the countries now known as Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan.

None of this is controversial.

There was one other Mandate issued the
Mandate for Palestine. "Palestine" was merely a geographic label the name the
Romans gave the Jewish Kingdom of Judea after they conquered it.

There was
nothing exclusively Arab about it.

The Mandate provided that Palestine would become
a "national home" for the Jewish people. There was a simple reason for this: the League recognized that Jews were the indigenous people of the area.

All the mandatory territories in the Middle East
transitioned to statehood in the 30s and 40s, with Israel the last to do so,
declaring independence in May 1948.

So, now we get to the legal stuff.
What were the borders of the State of
Israel when it declared independence?

International law has a simple
and universally applicable rule for determining borders. It's called the
Uti possidetis juris principle (lawyers love latin phrases). The rule provides
that when a new country is created, its borders match the borders of the previous
geopolitical entity in that territory.

For example, the borders of Ukraine, Latvia, and Azerbaijan are exactly what they were
when they were parts of the Soviet Union.

Other considerations, such as demographics, are not taken into account because without a simple, easily-applied rule, a new country's borders would never be settled, a recipe for permanent conflict.

Applying this rule to Israel means that it
had sovereign claims to all of Jerusalem, judea and Samaria, and Gaza because those were
its borders according to the Mandate of Palestine.

To be sure, the United Nations proposed a
resolution in 1947 with different borders and a much smaller area for a Jewish state. But
that resolution was a non-binding recommendation.

Nothing more. It did not have the force of law. We know what happened next. ( article loading on the war, how it started.)

Upon declaring independence, Israel was immediately invaded by five
Arab armies, seeking to destroy it.

Israel survived, but Jordan managed to seize
parts of Jerusalem, as well as Judea and Samaria,

which it dubbed "the West Bank." All the
Jews living in these areas were expelled or, to use a contemporary term, ethnically cleansed.

Here we need to introduce another
key principle of international law:

a war of aggression cannot be used
to change another country's borders.

Israel and Jordan signed an armistice agreement
in 1949 an agreement to temporarily stop fighting.

This truce had no legal effect on borders. When Israel liberated these territories
in 1967 during the Six-Day War,

it was retaking its own land. You can't
"occupy" land that belongs to you.

So where are we now?

In 1994 the Palestinian Authority was established
as part of the Oslo Accords. Israel didn't have to agree to this, but it did. While not being a
sovereign state, the PA operates independently of Israel. The PA, not Israel, governs the
lives of Palestinians living in the West Bank.

Israel has offered the Palestinians
a fully independent state

on several occasions. Each time the
Palestinians have rejected the offer,

something no other national independence
movement in modern times has done.

Whether or not it makes sense
for Israel to renew such offers is an open question. But it is
under no legal obligation to do so.

https://uat.prageru.com/video/does-israel-occupy-the-west-bank

1 Like

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by Br4life: 1:43pm On Feb 02
Israel are brave people super power RFB stand with Israel
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by Rolings: 7:16pm On Feb 02
wealthpreach:

Israel has offered the Palestinians
a fully independent state

Yet you keep building now settlements on lands you claim Palestinians have right over

Talk something else abegi Oga

2 Likes

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by APCHaram: 7:55pm On Feb 02
Typical Jewish pilpul

Start with one line of argument and end up spewing trash.

See the stupid rubbish posted here by these Mossad tunneling rats.

Before the Ottoman empire , there was the Islamic caliphate system led by the Persians .

Before the Persians , there was the western Vatican empire headed by Rome.

Before the Vatican , there was the Byzantines.

Prior to that was the Pagan Roman empire.

Going further back , there was the Persian , Babylonian , Assyrian and the Egyptian empires that controlled that waste land .

Prior to all these worldly empires, the land belonged to the Philistines which the lawless Hebrew genocided on command from their god Lucifer aka YHW.

This is why Empreror Hadrian renamed the land to Palestine (a Grecco-Romanian rendition of land of Philistines ).

There are no chosen Elohim nation only Satan's favourites aka Jew rats.

Christ is King and I denounce the Talmud and the synagogue of Satan.

The devil is a Jew liar

2 Likes

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by bigpriik: 9:23pm On Feb 02
APCHaram:
Typical Jewish pilpul

Before the Ottoman empire , there was the Islamic caliphate system led by the Persians .

Going further back , there was the Persian , Babylonian , Assyrian and the Egyptian empires that controlled that waste land .

Prior to all these worldly empires, the land belonged to the Philistines which the lawless Hebrew genocided on command from their god Lucifer aka YHW.

This is why Empreror Hadrian renamed the land to Palestine (a Grecco-Romanian rendition of land of Philistines ).

The devil is a Jew liar

you don become christian overnight
yusufudeen be proud of your religion,no sane christian will support arabs over jews,we know they are the ones sponsoring jihad in Nigeria killing christians.

1 Like

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by wealthpreach(m): 5:59pm On Feb 06
Rolings:

Yet you keep building now settlements on lands you claim Palestinians have right over

Talk something else abegi Oga

Do I provide you with a video of Israel offering a two-state solution with equal rights in 1948? Guess who turned it down?

Israel left Gaza and forced its citizens out guess who returned on October 7th?

I am factual, no emotions. Name any Palestine village that was sacked before the war in 1948, but I will name 8 Jewish villages where everyone was killed or sacked.

Na una start war, na una lose am.

1 Like

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by Rolings: 6:32pm On Feb 06
wealthpreach:

Do I provide you with a video of Israel offering a two-state solution with equal rights in 1948? Guess who turned it down?

Israel left Gaza and forced its citizens out guess who returned on October 7th?

I am factual, no emotions. Name any Palestine village that was sacked before the war in 1948, but I will name 8 Jewish villages where everyone was killed or sacked.

Na una start war, na una lose am.
With which right was Israel offering a two state?
You barge into someone's house and because you have the backing of Europeans you now start sharing the rooms of the house the way you like .....a house you met occupants in....and tell the occupants you met they can go to hell.....

And if you want to go historical..... The land was promised Abraham and his descendants so Arabs have as much rights to the land as jews

The first set of ships that brought Jews from Europe to Palestine had banners begging Palestinians not to turn them back to sufferings in Europe..... The Palestinians welcomed them..... Gave/sold land to them to start up and generally welcomed them.
Then they began to plot to displace those they met on ground which includes Jews, Arabs, Assyrians ane Jordanians with the active backing of European governments that are only too glad to get rid of Jews .

I see the eagerness with which you responded to me....you seem like one of those who think the war is between Jews and Muslims .
No it's not
It's a war between Hamas and state of Israel.
Also
You are one of those who think this conflict stared on Oct 7 23.... No , it's been going on for over 17 years .....and yes Israel pulled out of Gaza 17 years ago but has Blockaded it by air land and sea since then.
You will also want to ask.....why did the Arab nations also close their borders against Palestinians?..... It's because the Zionists in Israel wants exactly just that....they want Gaza retaken or reoccupied by Israel and this time to never leave...and the Arabs and Palestinians know this..... So they won't leave and will rather die there

1 Like

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by wealthpreach(m): 6:49pm On Feb 06
Rolings:

With which right was Israel offering a two state?
You barge into someone's house and because you have the backing of Europeans you now start sharing the rooms of the house the way you like .....a house you met occupants in....and tell the occupants you met they can go to hell.....

And if you want to go historical..... The land was promised Abraham and his descendants so Arabs have as much rights to the land as jews

The first set of ships that brought Jews from Europe to Palestine had banners begging Palestinians not to turn them back to sufferings in Europe..... The Palestinians welcomed them..... Gave/sold land to them to start up and generally welcomed them.
Then they began to plot to displace those they met on ground which includes Jews, Arabs, Assyrians ane Jordanians with the active backing of European governments that are only too glad to get rid of Jews .

I see the eagerness with which you responded to me....you seem like one of those who think the war is between Jews and Muslims .
No it's not
It's a war between Hamas and state of Israel.
Also
You are one of those who think this conflict stared on Oct 7 23.... No , it's been going on for over 17 years .....and yes Israel pulled out of Gaza 17 years ago but has Blockaded it by air land and sea since then.
You will also want to ask.....why did the Arab nations also close their borders against Palestinians?..... It's because the Zionists in Israel wants exactly just that....they want Gaza retaken or reoccupied by Israel and this time to never leave...and the Arabs and Palestinians know this..... So they won't leave and will rather die there

You are brainwashed. Over 500k Jews have been living there alongside similar numbers of Arabs.

Those Arabs were settlers brought in by the Roman Empire and Ottoman 3mpire (now Turkey). Just a few thousand returned from Europe and other arab countries where they were persecuted.

Is Oyo for Fulani or Yorubas? Lol.

Give me any write-up or newspaper that mentions Palestine from 1935 backward. It is a movement to wipe out the Jews. Reply with facts, not emotions.
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by Rolings: 4:56am On Feb 07
wealthpreach:

Give me any write-up or newspaper that mentions Palestine from 1935 backward. It is a movement to wipe out the Jews. Reply with facts, not emotions.

Don't lie because you want to make an argument in your favour Mr fact that don't have any facts.
It's a well known fact that Emperor Hadrian changed the name of Judea to Palestine which was a corruption of Philistine and he did that to humiliate the Jews because the philistines are their enemies that the Jews eliminated.
Your sense history is half baked
And
I see that just with everything with you kids you think this is a joke or we are on Ayo makun live show.
No it isn't
But how would kids like you who think the Israel Palestine conflict just started on Oct 7 know .
This present day Israel created in 1948 was a creation of US and Europe...
And just like I told you earlier even historically Arabs have as equal rights as Jews and Christians to the promised land because the land was promised Abraham and his descendants
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by wealthpreach(m): 9:13am On Feb 07
Rolings:

Don't lie because you want to make an argument in your favour Mr fact that don't have any facts.
It's a well known fact that Emperor Hadrian changed the name of Judea to Palestine which was a corruption of Philistine and he did that to humiliate the Jews because the philistines are their enemies that the Jews eliminated.
Your sense history is half baked
And
I see that just with everything with you kids you think this is a joke or we are on Ayo makun live show.
No it isn't
But how would kids like you who think the Israel Palestine conflict just started on Oct 7 know .
This present day Israel created in 1948 was a creation of US and Europe...
And just like I told you earlier even historically Arabs have as equal rights as Jews and Christians to the promised land because the land was promised Abraham and his descendants

Yeah, they have equal rights, so why didn't Palestine agree to the plan? They would have both had a state peacefully. But is it about a state? It's about the extermination of the Jews.

No! It was not the creation of the US and the UK. Watch the documentary on Al Jazeera. War just concluded, and the Britain's we're fatigued from war, and as soon as they left, Israel seized the opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_spMxp6t8?si=LR02xiQwT_z2paZW

Here is a meeting between an Arab leader and Hitler, with discussions of how to cleanse the Jews: https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/film/hajj-amin-al-husayni-meets-hitler

If I may ask you, where are the Jews in Algeria? Egypt? And other arab countries? They were cleansed and a few managed to flee. Go and look at your history. Even truthful Muslim Imams agree that it is not about land, it is just about cleansing the Jews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wkLV-mhnY?si=T7Sxm4a1akLTdCsM

Well, calling me a kid is a sign of emotions over logic. And I am not making jokes. It's a sincere question. Is Oyo for Fulani or Yoruba? You know the truth that the Jews are the indigenous people of that land.

1 Like

Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by wealthpreach(m): 10:28pm On Feb 10
Lol. Once you bring facts, they will run.

I know well not to give them CNN or BBC or they will say it is Western propaganda, I only provide Aljerlzera or pro-Palestine books or side of the truth.

It is not about land, it is about killing the Jews.
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by tctrills: 1:44pm On Feb 12
APCHaram:
Typical Jewish pilpul

The devil is a Jew liar
You are yet to point out a single lie in the post. Stop shedding tears over nothing
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by Somilat: 1:50pm On Feb 12
tctrills:

You are yet to point out a single lie in the post. Stop shedding tears over nothing
The jews own religious story says they are invaders.
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by tctrills: 2:51pm On Feb 12
Somilat:

The jews own religious story says they are invaders.
Still you are not making any point that deals with the present crisis.
Almost every tribe or race have been invaders or invaded as some point in time. If we go by your point, we would chase out all Arabs from Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria.
We would begin to see that no race or country should have the rights of it's present territories.
But that is not the case or the argument here.
The argument here is that the land of Palestine was under the British mandate and the British and united nations created a free state for the Jews and another free state for the Arabs which the Arabs rejected and went to war.
Re: Does Israel Occupy The West Bank? Fact Check. by wealthpreach(m): 8:07am On Feb 13
tctrills:

Still you are not making any point that deals with the present crisis.
Almost every tribe or race have been invaders or invaded as some point in time. If we go by your point, we would chase out all Arabs from Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria.
We would begin to see that no race or country should have the rights of it's present territories.
But that is not the case or the argument here.
The argument here is that the land of Palestine was under the British mandate and the British and united nations created a free state for the Jews and another free state for the Arabs which the Arabs rejected and went to war.

Britain didn't create a state. They were about partitioning the land so Palestine and the Jews would have a state, just as they did to Jordan and the rest.

However, fatigue from World War two made them pull out of the religion.

At the same time, Jews prosecuted in Europe were returning to join over 500k Jews who were already living on that land.

The Jews had a meeting and proposed getting their independence with some paltry lands, but the Palestinians refused and started a war they lost.

Meanwhile, the same propaganda they are using now is what they used then. They lied that women were being killed and raped so as children. They thought the Arabs would send more reinforcement, but it backfired.

Over 200k Arabs fled the land in terror, as the fake news circulating was so terrifying and this was part of what cost them the war.

After the war, there were over 160k palestine/Arabs still living on that land, they were spared because they didn't join the war.

As for the houses of those Palestinians that fled, it was used to house the Jews that we're running from Egypt, Algeria, and other arab countries.

When they complain of being sacked, what about the houses and properties of Jews in those arab countries? Everything that happened in 1948 was as balanced as it could be.

Some kids will say the war started way long ago and will remind them of the age-long atrocities by the Arabs on the Jews, the Hebron 1929 massacre. And over 7 Jewish villages that were sacked or cleansed.

If Palestine had the upper hand, do you think they would be calling for a ceasefire?

(1) (Reply)

Photos - The Booster Of An Air-launched Missile, Likely Israeli In Origin, / Trump Fumes Over Influx Of Migrants / President Trump Offered A Vague Denial About His Language On Immigrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.