Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,431 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

I Need To Learn Algorithms - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need To Learn Algorithms (6315 Views)

Sorting Algorithms / Learning Java Algorithms:merge Equal And Unequal Arrays. / Genetic Algorithms And Neural Networks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by Kobojunkie: 1:48am On Nov 23, 2011
Anywho . . . .

Again . . .

Kobojunkie:

^^^ Everything takes time . . .  Did you expect the @Poster to read a book like Introduction to Algorithms, or a series like Art of Programming in one seating  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided 
[size=14pt]
@Poster, I would not dedicate anything less than 6 months to this endeavour of yours. If you are looking for some quick and fast approach to learning Algorithms , then my suggestion is not for you.

[/size]

BUT . . . . 

If you are taking Data Structures and Algorithms right now then you might want to take a look at CONCRETE MATHEMATICS book still because it has got loads of details on what you will find useful now . . . Chapter 1 (which is only 20 pages long) teaches you recurrence. 3 is on Integer Functions. 5. Binomial Coefficients
Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by IbroSaunks(m): 2:57pm On Nov 23, 2011
the thing is I did algos as a course last year, but it wasn't adequate, the lecturer came only 3 times throughout the semester and we only got to do stuff like a binary search or a bubble sort or insertion algos on arrays, what linked lists are, etc. u always know when stuff is too easy. it was!
I was only looking for something to continue from where I stopped, the level of algo knowledge needed at undergrad level, so I don't have issues at msc level.
Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Nov 23, 2011
^^^ That is why I suggest you check out Concrete Mathematics . . . And you may also check out the book Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-oriented design patterns in C++. I am not crazy about books that focus on any particular language when it comes to teaching computer science but I know that having actual code examples also helps.
Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by momo2fry: 12:13pm On Feb 23, 2013
hey do you guys know anything about algorithmic trading?
Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 21, 2013

1 Like

Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by madelinekim(m): 6:55am On May 30, 2013
If you want to learn different kind of algorithms then you can use data and file structure book to read about algorithms. There are many algorithms of data and file which you cannot easily remember in your mind so video tutorials and e-books are helpful source for you to gain knowledge about algorithms.

1 Like

Re: I Need To Learn Algorithms by joecrown: 3:21am On Jun 02, 2013
please i need you guys to enlighten me on "algorithm" and i would like to know if i will be needing it for my upcoming IT course am taking.....am better in further maths than ordinary maths and am willing to learn...
Fayimora:

Errr you kinda slipped. Yes I know you need maths skills and thats why I told @OP earlier to work on them for now. If you cannot learn without code then you aren't actually learning algorithms. The only way you can understand the ACTUAL CONCEPTS is with such books. They dont say anything about language or some bloody code. They go STRAIGHT to the point, its up to you to implement it in whatsoever language.

What I have learnt is, never learn any concept by looking at code. Read about it, work on it with pencil and paper until you understand it and can compute results for any input you are given. If you have noticed, most of those 'humans' that invent these algorithms are mathematicians! Ever asked yourself why?

Dont forget that an algorithm is not about writing code to do something. An algorithm is a sequence of computational steps. There is a difference between a programmer and someone who knows how to write code. A programmer MUST have strong computational and analytical skills. That you can only possibly get from maths.

Anyways, its all up to you. What you(@ekt) are saying is not wrong at all. Its just not the right advice for someone who would love to learn ALGORITHMS. Again if anyone is on the "just get a job" side of the fence then what I have just said should be totally ignored.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Become A Good Systems Programmer Before I Graduate / How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? / NL Weeking Meeting: Encouraging The Need For Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.