Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap (4980 Views)

World Cancer Day: Only 3 Public Radiotherapy Centres In Nigeria / World Cancer Day: Only 8 Teaching Hospitals Have Radiotherapy Machines / Meet Jasmine, The Cancer Survivor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Dpharmacist: 12:48pm On Feb 04
On the 4th of February every year, the world unites to raise awareness on fundamental cancer issues.

Between 2022 and 2024, the focus of World Cancer Day is to help โ€œClose the cancer gap.โ€ This year marks the third and final year of the campaign.

The theme for this year is โ€œTogether, we challenge those in powerโ€. This theme encompasses the global demand for leaders to prioritize and invest in cancer prevention and care and to do more to achieve a just and cancer-free world.

The cancer situation in Africa is disheartening. In the year 2020, approximately 1.1 million new cancer cases occurred on the continent, with around 700 000 deaths. About 50% of new cancer cases in adults in Africa are due to breast, cervical, prostate, colorectal, and liver cancers.

If urgent measures are not taken, cancer mortality in the region is projected to reach about one million deaths per year by 2030. Also, in 20 years, cancer death rates in Africa will overtake the global average of 30%. This is more so because cancer survival rates in the WHO African region currently average 12%, much lower than the average of over 80% in High-Income Countries.

Source: WHO AFRICA

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by EMXTAN1(m): 7:44pm On Feb 04
Wonder who can truly explain the cause of cancer..
It's been eating alot of souls it lays its hands upon. I pray a cure is found and may it be affordable too.. Amen

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by akpaan(m): 7:44pm On Feb 04
no wahala
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by SonofIsima(m): 7:44pm On Feb 04

1 Like

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Englishisamust: 7:45pm On Feb 04
Tribute to my friend that die of cancer last month!!! cry cry cry.

Please can acid reflux or gerd lead to cancer because have been battling with it since 3 years now!!! Pls help meoo๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by TrackerSK: 7:45pm On Feb 04
Ok
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:46pm On Feb 04
Ddd

1 Like

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by deeway200(m): 7:47pm On Feb 04
Cancer that they don't even know the source
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by ibrocool(m): 7:49pm On Feb 04
In the past, Nigerians don't normally have cancer because this disease is mostly caused by chemicals that we consumed in food and drinks.

Most of what we eat then were fresh product from farm which does not involve the use of chemicals to plant. Most women cook what they eat with their family at home. The tap water functions all over the country.

But nowadays, too much chemicals in the food we eat. Most women no longer cook at home. They prefer processed food because they are too lazy. No more good water supply in the country. We buy bottle and sachet water which react with sunlight to cause cancer. Industrial waste is also adding to the problem. The list goes on.

The bottom line is try to eat as much as natural food as possible and be mindful of your health.

Cancer is real.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by HORLADY(m): 7:52pm On Feb 04
Just finished a webinar on cancer organised by 98Set of Federal Government College Ogbomoso.
It was very educative and expository.
Carcinogens are the cause if cancer and these carcinogens can be caused by obesity,UV rays, Infections and alcohol.

3 Likes

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by tctrills: 7:52pm On Feb 04
Dpharmacist:
On the 4th of February every year, the world unites to raise awareness on fundamental cancer issues.

Between 2022 and 2024, the focus of World Cancer Day is to help โ€œClose the cancer gap.โ€ This year marks the third and final year of the campaign.

The theme for this year is โ€œTogether, we challenge those in powerโ€. This theme encompasses the global demand for leaders to prioritize and invest in cancer prevention and care and to do more to achieve a just and cancer-free world.

The cancer situation in Africa is disheartening. In the year 2020, approximately 1.1 million new cancer cases occurred on the continent, with around 700 000 deaths. About 50% of new cancer cases in adults in Africa are due to breast, cervical, prostate, colorectal, and liver cancers.

If urgent measures are not taken, cancer mortality in the region is projected to reach about one million deaths per year by 2030. Also, in 20 years, cancer death rates in Africa will overtake the global average of 30%. This is more so because cancer survival rates in the WHO African region currently average 12%, much lower than the average of over 80% in High-Income Countries.

Please what do you mean by closing the cancer gap? In fact, what is the cancer gap?

4 Likes

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Tochukwutobest: 7:52pm On Feb 04
Wow that's nice
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Oxb90: 7:53pm On Feb 04
cry shocked
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Treasure17(m): 7:53pm On Feb 04
Very deadly.
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Klchnjoku: 8:02pm On Feb 04
Can stomach ulcer or too much stomach acid lead to cancer?.

Are there home remedies for stomach ulcer if you can't afford hospital bills at the moment?
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Klchnjoku: 8:04pm On Feb 04
Englishisamust:

Please can acid reflux or gerd lead to cancer because have been battling with it since 3 years now!!! Pls help meoo๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Do you have stomach ulcer too?
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:07pm On Feb 04
Englishisamust:

Klchnjoku:
Can stomach ulcer or too much stomach acid lead to cancer?.

Are there home remedies for stomach ulcer if you can't afford hospital bills at the moment?

Make cabbage a part of your meal.

Eat it raw like that, use it to make salad/coleslaw or take as juice.

It has a healing effect on the stomach and stomach related issues.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Everest25(m): 8:12pm On Feb 04
Englishisamust:

I have seen someone with it for over 15year...I think is very very very rare...

2 Likes

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Fash20: 8:13pm On Feb 04
Englishisamust:

If left untreated. It can lead to something called Barett esophagus which can increase the risk of esophageal cancer.

NB
I'm not a doctor this is based on my research.
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Emman08: 8:18pm On Feb 04
ibrocool:
In the past, Nigerians don't normally have cancer because this disease is mostly caused by chemicals that we consumed in food and drinks.

Most of what we eat then were fresh product from farm which does not involve the use of chemicals to plant. Most women cook what they eat with their family at home. The tap water functions all over the country.

But nowadays, too much chemicals in the food we eat. Most women no longer cook at home. They prefer processed food because they are too lazy. No more good water supply in the country. We buy bottle and sachet water which react with sunlight to cause cancer. Industrial waste is also adding to the problem. The list goes on.

The bottom line is try to eat as much as natural food as possible and be mindful of your health.

Cancer is real.

Cancer has existed here for a long time though. There are even local names for it.

3 Likes

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Komu1048(m): 8:19pm On Feb 04
Hmmm, my God is healing me of stomach cancer (Adenocarcinoma) this night. No be my stomach dem go remove in Jesus Name
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by remsonik(f): 8:30pm On Feb 04
Cancer will not be my portion in Jesus name. Stop smoking,taking drugs, taking alcohol,too much sugar, avoid carcinogenic substances. Take the right diet and live well. Cancer will not kill us o

6 Likes

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by chidx27(m): 8:59pm On Feb 04
Englishisamust post=128289046]Tribute to my friend that die of cancer last month!!! cry cry cry.

Please can acid reflux or gerd lead to cancer because have been battling with it since 3 years now!!! Pls help meoo๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™[/quote]

No
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by akaahs(m): 9:01pm On Feb 04
My experience with a stage 4 breast cancer woman currently at national hospital ๐Ÿฅ abuja is scary. The cost of drugs and treatment is out of reach for the common man to afford. The national cancer centre along airport road is wasting.

1 Like

Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by Sangoamadioha1: 9:07pm On Feb 04
Dpharmacist:

The theme is 'let's close the care gap' and not 'let's close the cancer gap' (whatever that means )
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by BarrElChapo(m): 9:25pm On Feb 04
Dad currently having colorectal cancer.
Re: World Cancer Day: Let's Close The Cancer Gap by emapeteum(m): 9:51pm On Feb 04
This satanic disease took my lovely sister away from me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ever Heard About The Biodisc? / Lassa Fever Outbreak: Enugu Govt Confirms Death Of One Person / Biocoten Cream ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.