Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG (26756 Views)

Should NYSC Be Reformed Or Scraped? See Twitter Poll Result / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards / UNN 2016 Graduate Appeal To NYSC to Extend The Uploading Of Senate List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by COMPAQ(m): 8:44am On Feb 05
Namaster:
The quickest way to generate revenue from NYSC is to SCRAP it.

It's a total money pit.

The cost of feeding THOUSANDS of people for 3 weeks alone is ASTRONOMICAL. Multiply that by the number of streams in a year then include the padded parts that are embezzled and you'll quickly realize the cost is UNGODLY.

Add in a personnel costs and the 33k/month allowance and you'd see it's an UNSUSTAINABLE and ABSOLUTE waste of money.

SCRAP NYSC and it'll automatically become a revenue-generating agency due to money saved.

I see where you are coming from. But at the same time, there are also many unquantifiable benefits from NYSC

1. First opportunity for Nigerians to travel and see other parts of their country. Me going to Abia for my NYSC as an Ibadan boy was the first time I had gone past Akure in my life. And in that 1 year, I also got to PH for a few days.

2. NYSC is most Nigerians first experience of a structured work environment, which is helpful

3. Money saved from NYSC can be a means to get people started in life. The money i saved from mine lasted me almost 9 months while staying with my brother looking for job in Lagos. Yes I had accommodation and food sorted and I had cash gifts from cousins working in Lagos from time to time, but at least I wasn't a huge burden on my bro for basic things like transport, soap, toothbrush

1 Like

Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by dododawa1: 8:50am On Feb 05
Where is d minister of

Rice

Beans

And

Garri

EBI PA Wa ooooooooooo
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Salubata(m): 9:11am On Feb 05
Is it too much to praise Oloyede who didn't pocket what was generated from sales of forms by JAMB just like Ojerinde did?

The SAT exams didn't generate money from application fee or was it free?

Seriously, you people have lots of problem
abhosts:

See this Abule Egba Grammar school graduate telling me what exam boards are like outside Nigeria. College Board is the body behind SAT exams written by millions of students worldwide. Show me any article where their leadership is being praised for revenue they bring in.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Fuckyoumod: 9:48am On Feb 05
blacknp:
That is the job of the individual schools.

Please don’t confuse your hungry school principal with the registrar of JAMB.

The Joint Admission & Matriculation Board is a revenue making entity of the Federal government, whether you pass or fail is not their concern.
ooh.... Just shut empty head.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by poseidon12: 9:59am On Feb 05
Clowns. NYSC should be turned into short military service for the graduates.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Beautifulday: 10:00am On Feb 05
Righthussle:
Make una kuku open shop dey sell corpers to generate revenue. Nigeria.

Tinubu is just starting. He doesn't know that the money he is generating is from the national budget in the pockets of a few.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Beautifulday: 10:01am On Feb 05
abhosts:
When Lagosians rightly labeled Tinubu as a draconian Taxmaster, una no gree hear word. For this man and his wicked APC, IGR increase is the only measure of a successful government. If masses complain of hardship, they would tell masses to celebrate record-breaking IGR.

In normal countries, heads of examination bodies are commended based on pass rate and student participation but APC was praising head of jamb based on revenue he brought in.

Have you ever heard of tax refund in Nigeria? Government is always grabbing and giving nothing back
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by VULCAN(m): 10:16am On Feb 05
Govt Apologist has spoken.

As is the norm with APC- his response is senseless.

Let's look at the JAMB website where they tell us why it was set up and their legal responsibilities

THE JAMB MANDATE
[b]The legal instrument establishing the Board was promulgated by the Act (No. 2 of 1978) of the Federal Military Government on 13th February, 1978. By August 1988, the Federal Executive Council amended Decree No. 2 of 1978. The amendments have since been codified into Decree No. 33 of 1989, which took effect from 7th December, 1989. Decree No. 2 of 1978 (amended by Decree No. 33 of 1989) empowered the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board to:

(a) conduct Matriculation Examination for entry into all Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education (by whatever name called) in Nigeria

(b) appoint Examiners, Moderators, Invigilators, members of the Subject Panels and committees and other persons with respect to matriculation examinations and any other matters incidental thereto or connected therewith.

(c) place suitably qualified candidates in the tertiary institutions after having taken into account:

(i) the vacancies available in each tertiary institution

(ii) the guidelines approved for each tertiary institution by its proprietors or other competent authorities

(iii) the preference expressed or otherwise indicated by the candidates for certain tertiary institutions and courses

(iv) such other matters as the Board may be directed by the Honorable Minister to consider or the Board itself may consider appropriate in the circumstances.

(d) collate and disseminate information on all matters relating to admissions into tertiary institutions or any other matter relevant to the discharge of functions of the board.

(e) carry out other activities as are necessary or expedient for the full discharge of all or any of the functions conferred on it under or pursuant to this Decree[/b]

Yes, of course JAMB is permitted to charge for its services but that is different from a lie that it is a Revenue Generating Agency as this liar will want us to believe.

Revenue Generation is not mentioned anywhere in the charter setting up JAMB.

But it Urchnns want to confuse the uninformed that JAMB was set up to make money for the govt.

Shame on them.

blacknp:
That is the job of the individual schools.

Please don’t confuse your hungry school principal with the registrar of JAMB.

The Joint Admission & Matriculation Board is a revenue making entity of the Federal government, whether you pass or fail is not their concern.

1 Like

Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by omoadeleye(m): 10:22am On Feb 05
flore1823:
The minister is confused nonsense

Na you be dullard, so when people of intelligence are talking just keep quiet biko
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by ajimo54(m): 10:24am On Feb 05
Righthussle:
Make una kuku open shop dey sell corpers to generate revenue. Nigeria.

Every positive move in this country and under this administration will always meet with negative thoughts and opinions! What has happened to Nigeria is not leadership really but a docile and lazy followership! I cannot imagine a graduate in Nigeria that looks up to Government for feeding always! We do not want to do anything! We always want and want and want! Government should provide all things including food to feed the 10 children u brought to this world! Nigerians want to have as many wives, concubines and children as possible at the expenses of the Government! What a country! What a people! Only you can look inward to address una problems of hunger, light and insecurity! I have ported to be with hardworking folks men!
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Babinski: 10:53am On Feb 05
Visocrate:
Ok 👍 let’s see how the program does that

This is contrary to the founding aims and objectives of the NYSC. How can you aim for national integration with these Corp Members while pursuing capitalistic objectives? Are you going to be leasing them out as HR Consultants while collecting percentages from their salaries or you will put them in Farms and other Ventures to earn income for the Federal Government?

If the Government feels the NYSC has outlived it's objectives or cannot fund it anymore, then is it not advisable to let the prospective Corp Members get into the job market as soon as possible or make NYSC optional? Several young people lose their lives traveling for NYSC not to talk of those who get delayed for months to be mobilized and consequently miss out on recruitment age limits.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by otipoju(m): 11:10am On Feb 05
aariwa:
Lol..clueless dunce and his bunch of never do wells now wants to start taxing corpers..young people they should have helped in the area of jobs and start up loans, they now want to tax..smh…nothing fruitful ever comes out from a stolen mandate

They will start selling the uniforms and food during the three week orientation.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by woleabayo(f): 11:15am On Feb 05
hummmmmmmmmm
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Scholace: 11:50am On Feb 05
ajimo54:

Every positive move in this country and under this administration will always meet with negative thoughts and opinions! What has happened to Nigeria is not leadership really but a docile and lazy followership! [b]I cannot imagine a graduate in Nigeria that looks up to Government for feeding [/b]always! We do not want to do anything! We always want and want and want! Government should provide all things including food to feed the 10 children u brought to this world! Nigerians want to have as many wives, concubines and children as possible at the expenses of the Government! What a country! What a people! Only you can look inward to address una problems of hunger, light and insecurity! I have ported to be with hardworking folks men!
Those useless leaders that you're asslicking and defending went to almost free school during their time with automatic jobs available after school. I meant the few politicians that went to school because i understand majority are school dropout that bought their results

As for you, the graduates are not asking the government to spoon feed them. The graduates and even non graduates are demanding for dividend of democracy which is the sole responsibility of the government. Government can never be living large, living in affluence while the masses are suffering. Never! The country will rather go into extinction or everyone should go their seperate ways. Ire oo
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by ajimo54(m): 11:57am On Feb 05
Scholace:
Those useless leaders that you're asslicking and defending went to almost free school during their time with automatic jobs available after school. I meant the few politicians that went to school because i understand majority are school dropout that bought their results

As for you, the graduates are not asking the government to spoon feed them. The graduates and even non graduates are demanding for dividend of democracy which is the sole responsibility of the government. Government can never be living large, living in affluence while the masses are suffering. Never! The country will rather go into extinction or everyone should go their seperate ways. Ire oo

Guy, you will complain tire ooo. Go our separate ways I support! Even so, the same character of free things will still follow una. Look for problems to solutions! Stard trading of what is not available!
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Scholace: 12:03pm On Feb 05
ajimo54:

Guy, you will complain tire ooo. Go our separate ways I support! Even so, the same character of free things will still follow una. Look for problems to solutions! Stard trading of what is not available!
When we go our separate ways then we know next step to take.

My neighbor find a problem to solve and he was kidnapped. What about that Mr find problem to solve?
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by aviara: 1:16pm On Feb 05
abhosts:
When Lagosians rightly labeled Tinubu as a draconian Taxmaster, una no gree hear word. For this man and his wicked APC, IGR increase is the only measure of a successful government. If masses complain of hardship, they would tell masses to celebrate record-breaking IGR.

In normal countries, heads of examination bodies are commended based on pass rate and student participation but APC was praising head of jamb based on revenue he brought in.

Any new IGR scheme increases hardship because it further reduces the disposable income of citizens. If you want to liberate our economy, allow more money in the hands of small and medium scale business owners and consumers. Govt IGR never stimulate any economy.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by aviara: 1:22pm On Feb 05
Tinubu ideology of governance is limited to increase in IGR and nothing more. With the high inflationary trend and hardship in the land taking more money from the hands of the citizens is not the way to go. But we can't blame him this is the only strategy he is used to from time immemorial. Generate revenue and share amongst his cronies
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by gotousa2013: 1:39pm On Feb 05
treesun:

https://dailytrust.com/nysc-to-be-reformed-into-revenue-generating-agency-fg/

During our time as Corpers, we were taught how to farm and produce for the next coming batch of Corpers . We also learnt some Enterpreneural skills . Today, NYSChas totally lost its relevance and it's reform cant be over emphasized.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by BennyDGreat: 1:53pm On Feb 05
aviara:

Any new IGR scheme increases hardship because it further reduces the disposable income of citizens. If you want to liberate our economy, allow more money in the hands of small and medium scale business owners and consumers. Govt IGR never stimulate any economy.

And create an enabling environment for businesses to thrive.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by t2luv1: 3:54pm On Feb 05
Let me get this straight you want to turn a service the government asked people to join as being compulsory into a revenue-generating scheme. Why stop there let's include the military also, we all know the police are already generating revenue. Tell yaa this is what you get when you elect someone with a single-digit IQ level as head of state.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by goldsmith007: 4:02pm On Feb 05
In the year 2024, I am thankful for the invaluable opportunities to gain knowledge, ZA Student Portal the meaningful connections that have brought richness to my life, and the steadfast resilience displayed in overcoming challenges,nurturing not only personal growth but also a deeper understanding of life's complexities.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by aariwa(m): 4:14pm On Feb 05
otipoju:

They will start selling the uniforms and food during the three week orientation.

very smart thinking my brother, unfortunately those people do not want anything good for Nigeria except continuing to make it worse everyday for selfish benefits with things like this …smh..sad
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by godofuck231: 6:53pm On Feb 05
APC government and Agbero system of generation of revenue , they think its a road side venture

1 Like

Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Tocco(m): 8:29pm On Feb 05
You forgot to add the ridiculous amount they quote for their inferior khaki/kit.. Chai..

Scrap it!!!!!

Namaster:
The quickest way to generate revenue from NYSC is to SCRAP it.

It's a total money pit.

The cost of feeding THOUSANDS of people for 3 weeks alone is ASTRONOMICAL. Multiply that by the number of streams in a year then include the padded parts that are embezzled and you'll quickly realize the cost is UNGODLY.

Add in a personnel costs and the 33k/month allowance and you'd see it's an UNSUSTAINABLE and ABSOLUTE waste of money.

SCRAP NYSC and it'll automatically become a revenue-generating agency due to money saved.

1 Like

Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Ilekokonit: 11:16pm On Feb 05
abhosts:

And that is before you factor in the fact that Tinubu has stolen and continue to steal the Lagos State treasury blind since 1999 (25 years and counting).

A mortgage in the UK takes 25 years to pay off. That's how long Tinubu has been bleeding the Lagos state treasury.

Before the Supreme court destroyed Nigeria with their selling their judgement to Tinubu, I said in one of my posts here that IF Tinubu is sworn in and stays in post for just 2 days, he will become richer than Nigeria. The thief has now been in power for close to 250 days. I will be surprised if Remi Tinubu and Seyi Tinubu are not richer than Lagos state in those 250 days of looting.

Thinking of how Tinubus loot will now compare to Nigeria's foreign reserves is an exercise in self punishment.

From the minute Tinubu dodged debating fellow contestants and delegated questions to his hangers on at the Chatham house meeting in London, it should have been clear that Tinubu "personally" had nothing in his brain to offer Nigeria apart from looting the Nigerian treasury dry and bribing everyone to do his bidding.

i am a Lagosian by residence and as the quoted post above says, Lagosians and a lot of Yoruba people resident in Lagos shouted from the rooftop to warn voters to NEVER let Tinubu near Nigeria Treasury but our warnings were not heeded although to be fair, Tinubu bribed everyone bribable to get his way up to the Supreme Court Judges but Tinubu lost in Lagos simply because Lagosians had first hand knowledge that Tinubu was an unrepentant treasury looter who has held us by the balls in Lagos by deploying his army of NURTW thugs to do mayhem to opposition party politicians on election days and even to an APC sitting Governor (Ambode) on the "direct" primaries election days if they step out of line by not giving him his cut of the money coming into Lagos state treasury.

If you search all my posts on the person of Tinubu on the whole Nairaland, you will NEVER see me mention anything positive about Tinubu and this is because I've lived in Lagos for quite a few decades and IF Tinubu had not looted Lagos the way he has and is still doing for 25years and counting, Lagos will probably have uninterrupted electricity, free education at all levels and a social security system that caters for kids, widows, the elderly, disabled and the sick.

If you also check my past posts, you will see that I've had nothing positive to say about Osinbajo as well because he was guilty by association too 'cos if he had a conscience, he could not have served as Tinubu's commissioner for justice for 8 years.

Now to me Fashola despite his good works in Lagos is also a villain in my eyes for his part in ruining Nigeria by enabling Tinubu become the President of that Nation formerly called Nigeria.

Since Tinubu was affirmed as President by the greedy supreme court judges, I try my best to not be nostalgic about the good old days in Nigeria and I deliberately try to stay away from Naija new channels and sites including nairaland 'cos the more I read about Tinubu the more I want to puke.

For one, I no longer watch TVC news and the Yoruba Nollywood actors and actresses are part of the people I don't want to read about or listen to for their part in the destruction of Nigeria by their cosying up to Tinubu's election thug in chief MC Oluomo. Wasiu Ayinde KWAM 1 and most of the other illiterate and semi illiterate Fuji musicians are also on my cancelled list for their part in enabling MC Oluomo and by extension Tinubu.

The way I see it IF Tinubu stays as president Nigeria is more or less finished as the longer Tinubu stays in power, the longer he digs his claws into the Nigerian treasury and corrupts every institution in Nigeria into perpetuity because Tinubu does not do 4 years or 8 year terms, he perpetuates himself as the sucker in chief of the treasury by ensuring that he dictates who will become his successor into perpetuity by stealing enough trillions from the Nigerian treasury with which he will then corrupt every and anyone in Nigeria the way he has already done with the highest court in the land - The Supreme Court.

Nigerian opened their eye wide open and walked into a disaster some people warned against.

I would have said that I hope Tinubu does not replicate the servitude he has bestowed upon Lagosians for the past 25 years upon Nigeria as a whole but with Tinubu now richer than Nigeria by looting for the past 250 days and counting, it seems Nigeria's name should now be changed to Tinubu's ATM.

Tinubu has nothing positive to offer Nigeria apart from looting.

As the legal maxim goes, Nemo dat quod non habet, literally meaning "no one can give what they do not have". Tinubu has nothing positive to offer Nigeria. QED
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Hpesoj: 2:14am On Feb 06
blacknp:
Long overdue they got these children to work, if you don’t want to do farm work, teaching, medicare, construction & engineering, or serve society don’t graduate from university.

In other countries with similar schemes like The NYSC, it is a 1 or 2 years compulsory military program.

And it is a revenue-generating scheme in those countries right? People will just open their mouth waaa to say stupid stuff all in the name of providing support for stupid government policies.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Hpesoj: 2:17am On Feb 06
abhosts:

See this Abule Egba Grammar school graduate telling me what exam boards are like outside Nigeria. College Board is the body behind SAT exams written by millions of students worldwide. Show me any article where their leadership is being praised for revenue they bring in.

You need to stop responding to this robots that have not left their villages before. They are either handed what to say to support the government or typing those shits without understanding the implications just to show 'solidarity' with the the government.
Re: NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG by Hpesoj: 2:20am On Feb 06
AllahOfBlood:
cheesy

Take them to construction site make them do manial jobs to generate revenue for government.

Those criminals in the national Assembly, are they generating revenue there?

Don't be surprised that the girl minister does not even understand the implications of what she said. She may just be a kinda spur of the moment stuff. Like Buhari's ministers, the expectation from these executive leeches is very low.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Latest Official Information For NYSC 2017 BATCH A Stream 2 Pcms / Corper Kidnapped In Rivers State Rescued (Photos) / How Do I Reprint My PPA Letter??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.