Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

62 Year Grandma Bagged First Degree Against All Odds - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 62 Year Grandma Bagged First Degree Against All Odds (205 Views)

How A Struggling Photographer Bagged A First Class In Law / US Reaches Out To Olowookere Victor Who Scored 8 A's In WAEC & Bagged 1st Class / My Sister Just Bagged Her Ph.d From OAU Am So Happy (pictures). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

62 Year Grandma Bagged First Degree Against All Odds by Abimbola2419: 7:11pm On Feb 07
62 grandma bagged first degree against all odds

By Abimbola Joseph

A 62-year-old woman, Lydia Agoro, completed her first degree against all odds from Olabisi Onabanjo University in Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State,

Agoro, who was among numerous students that the university graduated in 2024, said she enrolled in to the degree programme out of her passion for education despite her age.

Agoro, who studied studied Public Administration at the University, finished at the appropriate time having spent the required four years of study to earn her Bachelor degree in Public Administration.

She explains what prompted her to return to school to study in the midst of her children who had already graduated from different University and have started working.

"While I was working as a council staff, my boss Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State, directed that some people should be nominated for courses.

"I was shortlisted and later dropped because I am not a degree holder since it is the criteria of selection.

"I was angry and unhappy over what happened and since then I made the determination that I will go to university and study more.

"When I finally made the moves, people started discouraging me, grandma what do you need the certificate for.

"I was resilient and continue because I am determined, today I am happy because i fulfilled my dream," Agoro said.

She urged youths to prioritise education as the only variable that can bridge the gap between the rich and the poor, and also make the children of a cleaner to become President of any country.

Agoro appreciated all her friends and families who had in one way or the other supported her during the course of her study and especially her late husband who stood by her from the beginning.

"I appreciate all my families who stood by especially my late darling husband who gave me a strong back up when I wanted to start," she said.

Speaking at the event, His Royal Majesty, Oba Segun Benson, (Olojodu of Ojodu) commended the graduand for her resilience and determination in pursuance of her goals.

Olojodu encourages both youths and older ones not to relent in the process of acheiving a set goals and prayed for everybody present at the event.

"Let me go back to memory lane, both of us are friends and we set out priorities

"We plan to go to higher institution to build our career but along the line i travelled abroad.

After some time i was called back to Nigeria to takeover my possession, which I did and ascend on the throne of my forefathers.

"If she can go this far with her age I think others who are above, below and of her age can do same, nobody should be discouraged," Olojodu of Ojodu said.

Also speaking, Olori Toyin Famakinwa-Tijani, who was the best friend to the graduand said she is overwhelmed with joy having seen her bossom friend graduated from a university with a flying colour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 62 Year Grandma Bagged First Degree Against All Odds by matify83: 7:18pm On Feb 07
She's an Amazon. Her determination has yielded fruit at last.
Re: 62 Year Grandma Bagged First Degree Against All Odds by immortalcrown(m): 7:26pm On Feb 07
Great!

(1) (Reply)

FUTA: EFCC Should Release FUTA Students With Immediate Effect-fons / Why The Science Monopoly In JAMB? / If The USA Decides to Take Control Of Nigeria like Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.