Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,185 members, 7,811,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions (17595 Views)

Releasing Money As High As ₦2,500,000 Is Dangerous - Police To POS Operators / Police Return N9.9million To Owner After It Was Mistakenly Transferred To POS / Nigerians Shun Pos Transactions Over Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by nlfpmod: 9:37pm On Feb 08
Flutterwave, Africa’s most valuable startup, will contact over 6,000 account holders across 35 banks and financial institutions to recover ₦19 billion (*$24 million) illegally transferred by POS merchants after a High Court ruling on February 1.

In 2023, we discovered that certain POS device merchants abused their access by conducting unauthorized transactions. In response to this, we temporarily suspended the accounts where funds were improperly transferred,” Flutterwave said in a statement to TechCabal. The company insists that no customer funds were lost.

The February order —a Mareva injunction— lets Flutterwave recover the funds and assets of the identified account holders, which is crucial because the account holders may have spent the funds received in October 2023.

“We continue to actively engage with the relevant authorities to investigate and address the situation,” Flutterwave added.

An earlier court order placed debit restrictions on those accounts two months after the incident, court documents obtained by TechCabal show.

Per the most recent order granted on February 1, 2024, 35 financial institutions, including Opay, Paga, Palmpay, Access Bank, VFD Bank, Zenith, Polaris and Providus Bank, must share the email addresses and telephone numbers of the account holders.

Flutterwave will contact the over 6,000 account holders “through their respective email addresses and by SMS and Whatsapp messages to their respective telephone numbers,” per court documents seen by TechCabal.

The fintech company may use a recovery agency for this, a lawyer familiar with similar processes told TechCabal.

A timeline of the incident

“On 10th October 2023, there was a technical glitch in our client’s operating system, which resulted in funds being automatically transferred to the bank accounts of customers listed in Schedule A of this memorandum,” a letter from Flutterwave’s lawyers said.

Immediately after the “technical glitch” was discovered, Flutterwave contacted the bank and fintechs, notifying them of the glitch and the resulting erroneous funds transfers.

“The merchants listed did not provide any service to our client and were not entitled to funds that were erroneously transferred and have continued to keep said funds,” the letter from Flutterwave’s lawyers added.

Flutterwave also offered indemnity to the banks if they reversed the erroneous transfers. Typically, a reversal request would require the receiving bank to also go to court to seek further approval.

Flutterwave incident highlights the importance of KYC

The success of Flutterwave’s recovery efforts will depend on financial institutions like Opay, Palmpay and Moniepoint having accurate customer information. It also relies on banks having up-to-date information on their customers.

However, recent fraud incidents show this may not always be true. Neobanks, in a drive to boost financial inclusion, have popularised easy-to-open accounts with lax KYC requirements, and traditional banks do not necessarily have accurate information either. For instance, customers are not mandated to tell their banks when they change addresses, emails or phone numbers.

These KYC troubles are happening while there’s also a significant rise in fraud attempts in Nigeria’s financial services industry, and traditional banks have placed the blame on the neobanks.

Fidelity Bank, a commercial bank that holds ₦3.1 trillion ($2.1 billion) in customer deposits, blocked transfers to several neobanks over concerns that neobank wallets and accounts were an easy way to move monies that had been fraudulently obtained, TechCabal reported in October.

In December, the Central Bank of Nigeria mandated all financial institutions to implement stricter Know Your Customer (KYC) measures, requiring all customers to provide their bank verification number (BVN) or a national identification number (NIN) for account or wallet opening by March 2024.

https://techcabal.com/2024/02/08/flutterwave-to-recover-missing-24million/

4 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Madeade: 9:42pm On Feb 08
Good

2 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Hermaphrodite2: 9:42pm On Feb 08
Cash out time for flutter wave

What a loss to the owners of the account

No matter how hard flutterwave tries to recover the lost fund, it can't be 100% recovered

Assuming I did an authorized transaction, will I be gullible enough to leave the money in that account.

5 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Epstein(m): 9:42pm On Feb 08
grin
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by billionman: 9:42pm On Feb 08
One downside of technology. You could lose a lot in few seconds due to a simple glitch. How will they track those with incomplete KYC?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by AOB1: 9:42pm On Feb 08
Kk
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by AleAirHub(m): 9:43pm On Feb 08
Matters
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by symbianDON(m): 9:43pm On Feb 08
Imagine!! I wonder if those monies can truly be recovered though.

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 9:43pm On Feb 08
Naija goats wlll be chewing & looking at u so seriously as if they are expecting u to greet them first

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by UnknownElder: 9:43pm On Feb 08
This is bad news…

3 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Moyinoluwa35(f): 9:43pm On Feb 08
Hmm
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Stephaniegold(f): 9:43pm On Feb 08
Ok
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Realestatevixen: 9:44pm On Feb 08
Hmmm
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Smartguyboy(m): 9:44pm On Feb 08
Money laundering website

4 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by 1nigeriamyfoot: 9:44pm On Feb 08
There's possibility its the work of an insider

Many of the affected bank account owner will be affected for something that they knows nothing about

However, if they met with strong company that has a verifiable busines deals with 3rd or 4th recipient, they will be free from this madness

Flutterwave knows very well that most of the frozen bank accounts belong to innocent traders

Fluterwaves should be ashamed of tbemselves

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by kenniefawole(m): 9:46pm On Feb 08
Flutterwave the unicorn start up
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:46pm On Feb 08
Who sponsored this, Fidelity or Flutterwave or both?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:48pm On Feb 08
Shephard25:
People's hard earned money

Not all monies are earned the hard way

9 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by AgbadoDie: 9:50pm On Feb 08
Now let's me come.
Point 1. Flutterwave POS is one of the worst pos ever. I can't imagine a POS I can't even use to do normal transfer and it will go successfully.

Everytime, my pos girl will call me that people's money has hung. I keep on settling problems with my own money while steadily disturbing my Distributor. Flutterwave should do more on their machine, it is very inefficient

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by 123yes(m): 9:52pm On Feb 08
I wish they never recover this money. They them self are high grade fraudsters. Many companies used them to defraud an suspecting public

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by nstore: 9:54pm On Feb 08

4 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Pio44: 9:54pm On Feb 08
86fb money they include ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Benwallt(m): 9:55pm On Feb 08
21million naira or dollars
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by flexyrule(m): 9:59pm On Feb 08
24?
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by Judolisco(m): 10:01pm On Feb 08
Hermaphrodite2:
Cash out time for flutter wave

What a loss to the owners of the account

No matter how hard flutterwave tries to recover the lost fund, it can't be 100% recovered

Assuming I did an authorized transaction, will I be gullible enough to leave the money in that account.

100% u dey talk... Dem fit no see 30% sef

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by o123456789(m): 10:02pm On Feb 08
This is not only a Flutterwave problem, illegal transfer and cashout can be done against any Bank or Fintech. My new book covers everything on how to cashout and also secure the online money vaults of any organization or company. Note that the price of this book will no longer remain the same after this news... It was formerly $50 but now it will go for $1000.
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by TalkTalkTwins(m): 10:10pm On Feb 08
Hmm
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by muyico(m): 10:14pm On Feb 08
Gud development
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by mastermaestro(m): 10:14pm On Feb 08
What a way to pin insiders' job on outsiders. Criminals everywhere. cheesy
Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by o123456789(m): 10:15pm On Feb 08
AgbadoDie:
Now let's me come.
Point 1. Flutterwave POS is one of the worst pos ever. I can't imagine a POS I can't even use to do normal transfer and it will go successfully.

Everytime, my pos girl will call me that people's money has hung. I keep on settling problems with my own money while steadily disturbing my Distributor. Flutterwave should do more on their machine, it is very inefficient
Let me just tell you this plain truth, there is a silent battle of monopoly that is fashioned against Opay... It is evident that Opay POS is very reliable hence the attack just to bring down the company using KYC as the evil arrow head!!!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Gets Court Order To Recover $24M Lost To POS Transactions by muyico(m): 10:16pm On Feb 08
My frnd sent money to one lady living at ph, to come Ibadan, he sent 15k to d lady tru opay acct, but d lady don block him on fb, but he still ve d transaction details,how can he recover d money?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote: I Am Not Dead, I Am Hale, Hearty And Alive / Buy Amazon Gift Card In Nigeria & Pay In Naira / IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.