Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport (1478 Views)

What I Saw While Trying To Renew My Nigerian Passport / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / What Australians Think About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 10:41pm On Feb 08
Well. In one word. Simple.
I went to immigrations online website, easy to google by the way. used my NIN that had no issues of validation registered online, checked for locations and their schedule date. The one problem I had was uploading a passport fotograf or my picture from my phone. It was either too much light or size too big. It was resolved by snapping outside in where no shadows were showing and making sure my ears show. The size matter was resolved by sending the picture to my whatsapp and redownloading it again. So the pix went from 3mb to 123kb. I got my schedule date online too. But whatever you do, becareful because some places you cannot reschedule your appointment date.
The issue of birth certificate can be resolved by Affidavit of a high court, or using that going to a Census office and applying for a letter of declaration of age or birth certificate if you are under the age of 18.
As per a first time applicant, I did not need to get a guarantors form or any other thing apart from my Appointment print out slip, my receipt and my application form the printed one from online. I came before my scheduled time of 12 and I was still allowed in. All I had to do when it was my turn was to give my finger print, signature, answer some questions and get a photography and that was all. I can even track my passport online and when it would be ready. The process was less than 10 minutes if not for the lines. I have seen no case where you need to pay anyone money except you want to jump the line else... you dont need to pay anything outside what you paid for your passport. Now I am waiting to see how long it takes to get my passport.

1 Like

Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by proff010: 11:01pm On Feb 08
We will get there one day hopefully. Jagaban made this happened.
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Cineinfo(m): 11:51pm On Feb 08
How much does it cost you?
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 12:23am On Feb 09
Cineinfo:
How much does it cost you?
Check through the website - (https://passport.immigration.gov.ng/).
I paid online for 32 pages, it was 36400. But if I paid through the bank, as in with cash; it would have been 35400. This is for fresh passport.
P.S. I get person wey do passport since 2019 and she never japa (na this year she wan renew am and come japa). To get passport no mean say japa sure, na in case of incasity. But the thing they help all this KYC things wey your foreign websites too dey ask of

1 Like

Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by IamCookie(f): 2:24am On Feb 09
Gabangel:

Check through the website - (https://passport.immigration.gov.ng/).
I paid online for 32 pages, it was 36400. But if I paid through the bank, as in with cash; it would have been 35400. This is for fresh passport.
P.S. I get person wey do passport since 2019 and she never japa (na this year she wan renew am and come japa). To get passport no mean say japa sure, na in case of incasity. But the thing they help all this KYC things wey your foreign websites too dey ask of

Kindly use "In case of necessity" next time.

1 Like

Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by IamCookie(f): 2:33am On Feb 09
Thank you for the breakdown . Needless to say is that , Nigerians are wowed by this reform we are seeing and hearing about. Soon , I will also apply to a renewal , experience what it feels like and then revert.
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by deking(m): 3:28am On Feb 09
Gabangel:
Well. In one word. Simple.
I went to immigrations online website, easy to google by the way. used my NIN that had no issues of validation registered online, checked for locations and their schedule date. The one problem I had was uploading a passport fotograf or my picture from my phone. It was either too much light or size too big. It was resolved by snapping outside in where no shadows were showing and making sure my ears show. The size matter was resolved by sending the picture to my whatsapp and redownloading it again. So the pix went from 3mb to 123kb. I got my schedule date online too. But whatever you do, becareful because some places you cannot reschedule your appointment date.
The issue of birth certificate can be resolved by Affidavit of a high court, or using that going to a Census office and applying for a letter of declaration of age or birth certificate if you are under the age of 18.
As per a first time applicant, I did not need to get a guarantors form or any other thing apart from my Appointment print out slip, my receipt and my application form the printed one from online. I came before my scheduled time of 12 and I was still allowed in. All I had to do when it was my turn was to give my finger print, signature, answer some questions and get a photography and that was all. I can even track my passport online and when it would be ready. The process was less than 10 minutes if not for the lines. I have seen no case where you need to pay anyone money except you want to jump the line else... you dont need to pay anything outside what you paid for your passport. Now I am waiting to see how long it takes to get my passport.

The platform is good but the real issue starts after you book an appointment.

From my experience these are the huddles;
1. False claim that payment didn't drop.
2. Deliberate delay at the capture center for DIY folks.
3. Deliberate delay in treating the production of the passport of DIY people.

I believe the best way to resolve this is to stop /reduce the need to interact with immigration officiers as much as possible, outsource the capture process, or give them a target completion as basis to retain posting.

2 Likes

Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Domainer1999: 3:33am On Feb 09
@op, we're you asked for your Certificate of Origin at any point?
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 1:06am On Feb 12
IamCookie:

Kindly use "In case of necessity" next time.

My dear, if I may say... when last did you hear a learned Nigerian correct pidgin english? So if someone says... scattertrosphy, you would now say he should use "catastrophe". Please which country did you originate from, if I may ask?
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 1:09am On Feb 12
Domainer1999:
@op, we're you asked for your Certificate of Origin at any point?
When coming to the online registration, towards the end, you are asked to upload birth certificate or declaration of age. Then the second one is like a letter confirming you are from a particular local government, something like a local government of origin... some say you can use state of origin and it would do. Mind you after the system, the people at the office would also vett it.
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 1:18am On Feb 12
deking:

The platform is good but the real issue starts after you book an appointment.

From my experience these are the huddles;
1. False claim that payment didn't drop.
2. Deliberate delay at the capture center for DIY folks.
3. Deliberate delay in treating the production of the passport of DIY people.

I believe the best way to resolve this is to stop /reduce the need to interact with immigration officiers as much as possible, outsource the capture process, or give them a target completion as basis to retain posting.

On the false claim part, I think, when you present your receipt, they do not use any device to check whether its true before letting you in. Unfortunately, its possible some officers might do some tricky stuff.
Then on the part of deliberate delay, where I went, we had a crowd. And someone said the last time he was there, the number was few so he was attended to in a more quickly fashion.
On the last one, I think I have to agree with you. Many people told me how they collected their passports after five days last year but now its turning to more than a week and I havent gotten mine. I think I would advice people to avoid the Head quarters, and go to states that has very few crowd issues. Benue and Niger have been known for quick output, but I don't know this time that everything is online.
Unfortunately when it comes to capturing, it should be the immigration officers, its like that everywhere...I think I agree with you that a target completion should be used but as you know, this is government stuff...they would be as slow as they choose too. Maybe outsourcing is a good thing after all. But its only here that I hear getting passport you applied for is like taking JAMB if you are not careful.

1 Like

Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by IamCookie(f): 11:09am On Feb 12
Gabangel:

My dear, if I may say... when last did you hear a learned Nigerian correct pidgin english? So if someone says... scattertrosphy, you would now say he should use "catastrophe". Please which country did you originate from, if I may ask?

Well, my intent was different from all you have written here. Not everyone knows how to use it. I used to make that error too before I was corrected, Since we are here to learn and also continue learning , it suffice that I should say something. Even if I were to be writing Pidgin or creole , when I get to that point to use such , I'd write it correctly. No judgement!
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by IamCookie(f): 11:22am On Feb 12
Gabangel:

On the false claim part, I think, when you present your receipt, they do not use any device to check whether its true before letting you in. Unfortunately, its possible some officers might do some tricky stuff.
Then on the part of deliberate delay, where I went, we had a crowd. And someone said the last time he was there, the number was few so he was attended to in a more quickly fashion.
On the last one, I think I have to agree with you. Many people told me how they collected their passports after five days last year but now its turning to more than a week and I havent gotten mine. I think I would advice people to avoid the Head quarters, and go to states that has very few crowd issues. Benue and Niger have been known for quick output, but I don't know this time that everything is online.
Unfortunately when it comes to capturing, it should be the immigration officers, its like that everywhere...I think I agree with you that a target completion should be used but as you know, this is government stuff...they would be as slow as they choose too. Maybe outsourcing is a good thing after all. But its only here that I hear getting passport you applied for is like taking JAMB if you are not careful.

Yea. Like you rightly affirmed also ,from deking's point, it will be better to outsource the capturing stage . I did mine back then in Niger State ( quickly issued ) . Maybe I should get to Zuba and take a car to Minna in order to avoid unnecessary delay. Na dis kidnapping thingy dey make me scared of moving freely grin . I trust Gabangel to bring the ransom , in case shocked embarassed cry
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by T0bil33: 2:50pm On Mar 19
Gabangel:

When coming to the online registration, towards the end, you are asked to upload birth certificate or declaration of age. Then the second one is like a letter confirming you are from a particular local government, something like a local government of origin... some say you can use state of origin and it would do. Mind you after the system, the people at the office would also vett it.
How many weeks did u waited before you pick up ur passport, secondly how did u know ur passport was ready for pickup, were u sent an email or a text message that's ready?
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 2:42pm On Mar 22
T0bil33:

How many weeks did u waited before you pick up ur passport, secondly how did u know ur passport was ready for pickup, were u sent an email or a text message that's ready?

my brother, I hate to say this but i have received no notification that my passport is ready. am being told that if i requested for the 64 page one i would have gotten it like with five days but the 32 pages one for first timers is limited. Strangely i did mine in Kaura, Abuja, their headquarters and someone who did hers in Gwagwalada received her 5 days later, she was notified (hers was renewal but her babys own too was new). In my case, zero. it even made me lose one strong contract like this that needed a passport. you can reach me on ////////k2mcee@yahoo.com/////
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Gabangel(m): 2:57pm On Mar 22
IamCookie:

Well, my intent was different from all you have written here. Not everyone knows how to use it. I used to make that error too before I was corrected, Since we are here to learn and also continue learning , it suffice that I should say something. Even if I were to be writing Pidgin or creole , when I get to that point to use such , I'd write it correctly. No judgement!

e no answer my question o, dem dey correct pidgin language abi nigerian creole (yes, because its specific to us, the semantics and ideology even if Cameroon and Ghana have a likeness to ours)? Then as a writer, I cannot use the term - "in case of necessity" when I have if the need arises, if necessary and a lot more... there's a sort of tautology about it. Our Pidgin allows for a lot of grammatical and english sound crimes to be committed, so much that it felt odd to hear someone correct it. Anyways. Hope you are not a Karen o?
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by T0bil33: 8:35pm On Mar 27
Gabangel:

Sorry about that bro..
I thought you would have gotten it.
With what I heard there is scarcity of the 32 pages at there various passport office.only those who paid their officers for express received theirs within short period of time.

my brother, I hate to say this but i have received no notification that my passport is ready. am being told that if i requested for the 64 page one i would have gotten it like with five days but the 32 pages one for first timers is limited. Strangely i did mine in Kaura, Abuja, their headquarters and someone who did hers in Gwagwalada received her 5 days later, she was notified (hers was renewal but her babys own too was new). In my case, zero. it even made me lose one strong contract like this that needed a passport. you can reach me on ////////k2mcee@yahoo.com/////
Re: What I Think About The New Method For Applying For Our International Passport by Pixelrebel: 9:33am On Apr 19
Gabangel:

Hi, Just checking in – any update on getting your passport? Also curious if anyone else has recently gone through the process and can share how it went.

(1) (Reply)

Settlement Visa In Eu Countries: / Canadian Visa Delay / Places You Won't Believe Are On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.