Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,876 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Crazy Hyper Yellow Lab - HELP! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Crazy Hyper Yellow Lab - HELP! (125 Views)

Dairy Of My Rabbits.(dutch And Hyper) / Infant Female African Yellow Monkey Pet For Sale / Lets Create A Dog Of Our Own.dog Owners,veterinary Doctors,lab Scientists. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Crazy Hyper Yellow Lab - HELP! by jackaustin631: 9:44pm On Feb 09
I've had a lab and golden retrievers before, and German Shepherd. I now have a beautiful yellow lab male who I adopted from the local humane society just recently. He's a little over 3 yrs old. He was neutered this past April!

He is crazy, and I'm not exaggerating. He steals our clothes and towels and runs with them. I try calling him with yummy snacks to give him in return for the item, but he's not interested in that. He'd rather run from me with the item. It's especially irritating when he steals dinner about to go on the stove. He knows what items are off limits. I've even watched him go after it, he looks around like a child, and if he thinks nobody is around or watching, he grabs it and runs outside with it. Sometimes he drops it outside and sometimes he chews it.

He goes nuts when someone comes to the door and I have to put him in his crate when visitors arrive, just for their own safety. Then he's in his crate with this high pitched bark that about breaks your ear drums and we can't even hear ourselves think let alone talk. He will bark for a good 20 minutes like this. I'd like to get this kind of thing under control because I work from home and need to be able to concentrate and take phone calls as necessary.

He also darts out the door any chance he gets. He's gotten better about sitting and stay before going on a walk, but the minute the door opens he is fixated on it and charges through it. When I have the main door open (screen door closed he charges through the screen door and it goes flying open. I can't have this behavior since in the fall and winter months, this door will be open a lot. It has gotten to the point where the door doesn't latch, it just loosely sits in place and just looks like it's closed and latched. I really want to make this guy a permanent fixture at our home but don't have the thousands of dollars to send him away to training.
Re: Crazy Hyper Yellow Lab - HELP! by scottmartin: 9:46pm On Feb 09
All of these problems are treatable at home, and your dog sound boisterous and a bit confused about what is expected of him, rather than anything more sinister. So please don't panic smiley

Stealing is a common problem in Labs, they love attention and they love to carry things so running off with your clothes seems like a good idea. Here's an article to help you with that

Here's a technique that you can use to teach dogs to be quiet: Yellow lab mix
The door barging is fixable too, but I suggest you tackle one issue at a time and make some progress on that, otherwise, you are just going to feel overwhelmed. While you are getting to grips with the training issues, you might find it easier to manage your dog in the house if he wears a house line (a short trailing lead attached to his harness)

(1) (Reply)

Top Quality Lhasa Apso Puppy Available For Sale At A Giveaway Price!! / A Story About A Dog Called Mrjosh, Age, Lifestyle And Daring � / Dog's Microbiome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.