Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space (272 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 7:47pm On Feb 10
I have observed that, irrespective of the financial status of we Nigerians, we don’t love space.

In western world, people build across acres and despite paying heavy taxes on those acres, it doesn’t stop them from building more.

People go to outskirts of city and build mighty to average houses in the middle of nowhere, and utilize space for garden, outdoor /indoor sports, bar and environment for comfort.

Why do Nigerians typically hate space. You can count the number of properties above 5 acres within the country. I am certain money is not the issue, cos Nigerians can buy a plot for 100M and choke everything up.

Despite having abundance of land with no property taxes or strict building codes, we still just love it small.

I am here to learn about what could be the reason why we don’t love space.

Someone said it’s because we were colonized by the British who love everything small, and I don’t buy into such notion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by immortalcrown(m): 8:13pm On Feb 10
Nigerians hate loneliness, not space. The oyibo people who have that kind of space don't like associating with much people. Nigerians like having neighbours.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 8:17pm On Feb 10
immortalcrown:
Nigerians hate loneliness, not space.

You have a good point. But having such estate for cooling off won’t be a bad idea. It’s very rare, you hardly point to a millionaire in Nigeria who has a 20 acre residential building. Whether primary or secondary.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by Naijaepic: 8:21pm On Feb 10
That's answer you seek!

We are community oriented individual.

Even, the current insecurity situation in the country will have someone to have a rethink.

immortalcrown:
Nigerians hate loneliness, not space.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by HeatSeeker(m): 8:22pm On Feb 10
CoronaVirusPro:
I have observed that, irrespective of the financial status of we Nigerians, we don’t love space.

In western world, people build across acres and despite paying heavy taxes on those acres, it doesn’t stop them from building more.

People go to outskirts of city and build mighty to average houses in the middle of nowhere, and utilize space for garden, outdoor /indoor sports, bar and environment for comfort.

Why do Nigerians typically hate space. You can count the number of properties above 5 acres within the country. I am certain money is not the issue, cos Nigerians can buy a plot for 100M and choke everything up.

Despite having abundance of land with no property taxes or strict building codes, we still just love it small.

I am here to learn about what could be the reason why we don’t love space.

Someone said it’s because we were colonized by the British who love everything small, and I don’t buy into such notion.

Not entirely true.

If you are observant, you will notice the apartments and houses built in the 70's, 80's and early 90's are more spacious that the ones being built in recent years. This is because there has been a very deliberate shift in ideology within the construction community (i.e. builders, developers and construction engineers).

The change in thinking has led to the more efficient use of resources, especially space, during the construction process. The efficiency here is doing more with less.

So in reality, its not that Nigerians don't like space, it's just that our professionals in that field have decided that this is how things will be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 8:27pm On Feb 10
HeatSeeker:

Not entirely true.

If you are observant, you will notice the apartments and houses built in the 70's, 80's and early 90's are more spacious that the ones being built in recent years. This is because there has been a very deliberate shift in ideology within the construction community (i.e. builders, developers and construction engineers).

The change in thinking has led to the more efficient use of resources, especially space, during the construction process. The efficiency here is doing more with less.

So in reality, its not that Nigerians don't like space, it's just that our professionals in that field have decided that this is how things will be.

I quite agree with you to great extent, but when you say doing more with less, I tend to disagree. We buy a plot for 100m and squeeze everything into that space. I think in such instances, we doing less with more.

People buy properties worth 200m and you barely can find tangible space. You get to find a pool with the size of a fish pond, and can’t even find a half court basketball space, or football pitch, with complete absence of a garden or convenient outdoor space.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by AwokenVawulence: 8:31pm On Feb 10
Hhkjf
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by HeatSeeker(m): 8:33pm On Feb 10
CoronaVirusPro:

I quite agree with you to great extent, but when you say doing more with less, I tend to disagree. We buy a plot for 100m and squeeze everything into that space. I think in such instances, we doing less with more.

People buy properties worth 200m and you barely can find tangible space. You get to find a pool with the size of a fish pond, and can’t even find a half court basketball space, or football pitch, with complete absence of a garden or convenient outdoor space.

You also have to factor in the cost too. This is a major determinant. It is far cheaper to cramp everything into that 100sqm that to have a sprawling edifice that will eat deep into your pocket.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 8:38pm On Feb 10
HeatSeeker:

You also have to factor in the cost too. This is a major determinant. It is far cheaper to cramp everything into that 100sqm that to have a sprawling edifice that will eat deep into your pocket.

Agreed.

But when you consider the super rich and wealthy, they don’t even exploit those choices. Like I said, you can list how many properties in the whole country sitting on 20 acres.

We have the super rich also.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by HeatSeeker(m): 8:39pm On Feb 10
CoronaVirusPro:

Agreed.

But when you consider the super rich and wealthy, they don’t even exploit those choices. Like I said, you can list how many properties in the whole country sitting on 20 acres.

We have the super rich also.

Guy! even rich man wan save money cheesy
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 8:47pm On Feb 10
HeatSeeker:

Guy! even rich man wan save money cheesy

Same rich man that can afford to buy “ONLY” land for 800m? I think it’s more than saving cost.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by HeatSeeker(m): 8:48pm On Feb 10
CoronaVirusPro:

Same rich man that can afford to buy “ONLY” land for 800m? I think it’s more than saving cost.

You may be right. smiley
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 8:56pm On Feb 10
Naijaepic:
That's answer you seek!

We are community oriented individual.

Even, the current insecurity situation in the country will have someone to have a rethink.

Before insecurity, we never had good counts of such estate.

We have people in the country who can afford such with maximum security. Likes of Otedola, Dangote, Cubana, Alakija, Adenuga, Davido and Wizkid can afford such.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by lordm(m): 9:00pm On Feb 10
It's rooted in our culture. We love to see our loved ones around.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 9:10pm On Feb 10
lordm:
It's rooted in our culture. We love to see our loved ones around.

People leave the East and build in the West and vice versal.

I have seen the estates of Osun state people in Rivers State. If I should consider your point, such would not be happening.

Let me try to agree with you. Does it mean people cannot build such around their loved ones?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by lordm(m): 6:58am On Feb 11
CoronaVirusPro:

People leave the East and build in the West and vice versal.

I have seen the estates of Osun state people in Rivers State. If I should consider your point, such would not be happening.

Let me try to agree with you. Does it mean people cannot build such around their loved ones?
Africans live a more communal lifestyle.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by CoronaVirusPro: 10:04am On Feb 11
lordm:
Africans live a more communal lifestyle.

I tend to disagree. They do have high percentage of communal set-ups too , and few still opt for that space. Nigerians hardly irrespective of financial status.

A getaway place for Nigerians is the “village”, and in same village, you hardly see him/her utilize massive space.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by tyor: 12:42pm On Feb 11
It is poverty mindset. Our rich people have poverty mindset. Their idea of wealth is to flaunt it amongst middle class. They cramp themselves among the poor.

Unlike in other parts of the world (including in Ghana), where rich people have homes in the outskirts with decent acreage, clean air, peaceful and quiet. They maintain a condo in the city for busy periods and during crisis.

In the west, wealthy folks fly chopper or use boats into the city when they have business. They stay over in their city condo if they have to. Rich folks (executive type) come into the city on Monday morning and leave on Thursday night.

Only in Nigeria, the richest man lives in the middle of a mess. The street he lives on is constantly flooded and the road is not properly paved.

If look among the middle class too, you would notice anomalies such as spacious living room and tiny bathrooms with tiny windows. They spend a lot of money on facade but they living quarters look basic.

Our mentality is just flawed. It is what happens when idiots have access to money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don’t Nigerians Love Space by Cassandraloius: 10:56pm On Feb 11
Nigerian's love people around them, and competing with themselves in some aspect.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

An 2acres Ofland With Warehouse Wit 3gate Along Gbagada Express Beside Ups Tittl / To Let Semi 3brm Flat At Ogudu Gra Lagos 750,cal 08024125191 07034770232 / Am Professional Tiler, Need Reliable And Afford Tiller, We Deals With Various Ty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.