Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,241 members, 7,860,548 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:25 PM

What Enugu Gov. Is Doing To Make Igbos In Lagos Reloc. (long But Very Good Reade - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Enugu Gov. Is Doing To Make Igbos In Lagos Reloc. (long But Very Good Reade (217 Views)

Supreme Court Dismisses APC/Nnaji's Suit Against Enugu Gov, upholds Mbah / See What Enugu State Governor Shared As Palliative / Ambode: Why The War Against Lagos Gov Is Not Yet Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Enugu Gov. Is Doing To Make Igbos In Lagos Reloc. (long But Very Good Reade by BabaRamota1980: 5:54pm On Feb 13
In 2012, it was rumoured that the Niger River would be drained to make ships land goods in the Southeast region of the country. The river which is located and stands as the boundary between Asaba, the Delta State capital, and Onitsha, the market hub of Anambra State is said to have the capacity to land ships when drained properly and would benefit the people of the southeast region.

To date, it has come to no avail, making Lagos, Port Harcourt, and a few other states the only place to receive ships with goods coming into the country. Some southeast governors have promised to do their best in bringing down Igbos from other states to invest in their region.

In September 2023, Peter Mbah, Governor of Enugu State, challenged leaders of the southeast to maximise their economies of scale and pool resources to build critical regional infrastructure like railways and roads to help with the proposed market plans he is creating in the state. Mbah said it will help create a common market and boost socio-economic prosperity in the geopolitical zone. “How do we ensure that we have a road network that moves across the various cities in Anambra, Abia, Imo, Enugu, and Ebonyi?” he asked.

“How do we build a ring road that connects all the major cities in the southeast so that we can seamlessly encourage those who are producing and those who are providing services to distribute their products and services across the different cities of the southeast seamlessly? “These are things we must be intentional about if we are going to deal with unemployment and insecurity in the South-East.

Home News What ENUGU Gov. is doing to make igbos in LAGOS relocate
NEWSPOLITICS
WHAT ENUGU GOV. IS DOING TO MAKE IGBOS IN LAGOS RELOCATE
written by Benprince Ezeh
February 13, 2024

The Story Of Gov. PETER MBAH’s Activities
In 2012, it was rumoured that the Niger River would be drained to make ships land goods in the Southeast region of the country. The river which is located and stands as the boundary between Asaba, the Delta State capital, and Onitsha, the market hub of Anambra State is said to have the capacity to land ships when drained properly and would benefit the people of the southeast region.

To date, it has come to no avail, making Lagos, Port Harcourt, and a few other states the only place to receive ships with goods coming into the country. Some southeast governors have promised to do their best in bringing down Igbos from other states to invest in their region.

INTERESTING FOR YOU

Cozy cabin, your dream home! Who would you like to share it with?

74-Year-Old Grandma Shocked Doctors: Forget About Botox, Do This!
Derm La Fleur

Ringing In The Ears? Do This Immediately (Watch)
Quietum Plus
In September 2023, Peter Mbah, Governor of Enugu State, challenged leaders of the southeast to maximise their economies of scale and pool resources to build critical regional infrastructure like railways and roads to help with the proposed market plans he is creating in the state. Mbah said it will help create a common market and boost socio-economic prosperity in the geopolitical zone. “How do we ensure that we have a road network that moves across the various cities in Anambra, Abia, Imo, Enugu, and Ebonyi?” he asked.

“How do we build a ring road that connects all the major cities in the southeast so that we can seamlessly encourage those who are producing and those who are providing services to distribute their products and services across the different cities of the southeast seamlessly? “These are things we must be intentional about if we are going to deal with unemployment and insecurity in the South-East.

INTERESTING FOR YOU

A Teaspoon On An Empty Stomach Burns 12 Lbs Of Fat A Week Safely!
FAT BURNER

Woman From Dorchester Lost 52 Lbs In 28 Days Using 1 Simple Trick
Keto

7 Famous Celebs Who Gave Up On Trump
“Since we now have railways in the concurrent list, nothing is stopping us. “So, if we pick one or two projects from this summit that we can say as a people of the south-east, we want to make sure that we execute them, I believe we can achieve them and they are going to have a huge spillover effect on our economy and security.”

On how to fund the projects, Mbah said: “That brings me to this philosophy of ‘Aku Ruo Ulo’, which, in my view, is for us to encourage our kith and kin to bring back their wealth to the south-east”. “Putting a benchmark of about 30 percent and 40 percent of our wealth will go a long way,” he said.

“We have people that are wealthy Igbos. So, if we begin to think about how we invest some of those funds in the south-east, it is a way of making sure that we have a huge capital inflow to be able to execute some of these critical projects,” the governor reiterated.

In Enugu state, the governor has created many lands across the state and proposed them as new market projects to bring down Igbo to trade in their region. This is because of the constant challenges alleged the Igbos are facing in another state in the country.

Some of these sites have been named already by the state government and most are located in 9th Mile and Ezeagu. The markets are New Kiyetta Market, Free Trade Zone, Nsude International Market, and Modern Market 9th Mile. The governor said that it was part of the election promises he made to the state indigenes.

In December 2023, Igbo Leadership in the United Kingdom and Ireland called on the Federal Government and Governor Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State to be fair and considerate in dealing with Igbo residents in the state.

Eze Okwuchukwu Nwosu, Eze Isiobi Ndigbo 1 UK and Ireland, in an open letter, lamented that the Igbos were not treated fairly in Nigeria, claiming that since Nigeria’s amalgamation in 1914, the Igbo nation had been at the receiving end.

On the demolition of buildings in Lagos, Eze Nwosu said: “Ndigbo legitimately bought empty lands and swampy areas in Lagos, and built their houses and other investments. They destroyed the property of Ndigbo at Ladipo, Balogun, Alaba, Trade Fair, etc. They never destroyed the Igbo property in past administrations. This oppressive measure is being used against Igbos in Lagos with no justification.

”Nigerians agreed that it should be the turn of the Igbo through the rotational presidency. But PDP and APC never allowed it. Peter Obi emerged against all odds in the 2023 general elections. INEC ensured that votes did not count.

“Two things must happen: to take Ndigbo as partners in the decision-making of government in Nigeria or let us go. Ndigbo wants one Nigeria. We are law-abiding. Allow us to do our trading because that is the only thing we can do since we are not allowed to preside over the affairs of this country.

“If you want Ndigbo to leave Lagos, let the Federal Government peacefully quantify Igbo property in Lagos and settle the owners. Stop using the federal might to fight Ndigbo.

“There should be immediate compensation for Igbo property already destroyed. Let every Igbo man submit all their investments in Lagos, and get compensated so they can return to Alaigbo peacefully.

“It is our plea. Our investments across the federation can never be in vain. This is the last cry, or Igbo people will defend themselves again. We have seen the war; we lost almost five million people,” the statement read.

Speaking to some of the indigenes living around the place, they said it’s what is expected by the five states in the region and it will boost socio-economic prosperity in the region.

Chinedu Okoro, a business man said that this will make our state a massive one. “Imagine people from other countries coming to my place to trade and all, it will develop my place and as well give jobs to the villagers,” he said.

Chinyere Ekpa, a trader said that they are moving them from the old marketplace that they were and relocating them to the new market. “I have a shop in Old Kiyetta, but I’ve bought like three shops here before it finishes.

“The space is massive and it will allow trucks to be loading and offloading easy because of the space the market has and I love it. I sell building materials and our old market is choked already, I say a big thank you to Governor Mbah and pray that God bless him always,” Ekpa said.

On her part, Joy Mary said that what the governor is doing is a message to other governors in the southeast region that they too should learn a thing or two from him. “I’m from Imo state and my governor Is not even doing anything yet regards to what Mbah is doing in Enugu state in terms of bringing market to the state.

“My brother owns more than four shops at the Trade fair market in Lagos and has complained that two of his shops have been demolished by the state government. The angry part is that they are doing this to the Igbos and leaving their people. What does this tell you? Are we still one in Nigeria or they are trying to prove something to us? Please Igbos over there should come home and develop this place. Of course, I know it’s going to take time but the journey of a thousand miles, starts with a step,” she said.

However, not all believe it’s a good idea, whereas some think it’s not going to be a positive thing.

Abuchi Igwe, a trader said that all these are just a waste of time if we don’t have a port or the least, tackle the insecurity hampering the country. “How can you set up a market without a port in the region? Gunmen killing every day and they think investors would come to trade here? Honestly to me, this is just a political move to win the masses and stand a chance of going for his second term.

“I’m not belittling what Mbah has done since becoming the governor of the state, at least the constant water he promised has been achieved but this market thing is a no-no for me, he lamented.

–Benprince Ezeh

Source
https://www.citypeopleonline.com/what-enugu-gov-is-doing-to-make-igbos-in-lagos-relocate/
Re: What Enugu Gov. Is Doing To Make Igbos In Lagos Reloc. (long But Very Good Reade by BabaRamota1980: 7:47pm On Feb 14
Enugu Gov should easily have a huge following after this declaration. Good guy!
Re: What Enugu Gov. Is Doing To Make Igbos In Lagos Reloc. (long But Very Good Reade by Good2go1: 8:00pm On Feb 14
Igbos will be great again no matter the federal might trying to suppress them, Buhari tried it where did it end him.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Edo 2024: Obidient Movement Is Now Ighodalo Movement In Edo By Mike O. Enahoro / BREAKING: Dr. Asue Ighodalo Emerges Winner Of Edo PDP 2024 Governorship Primary / State House Press Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.