Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,112 members, 7,835,755 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months (31498 Views)

CBN Sells Fresh Dollars To Bdcs At N1,021/$ / CBN Sells Dollars To BDCs Below Market Rate At ₦‎1,101/$1 / CBN Sells Over $300m To Banks As Naira Gains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Satazaa: 3:50pm On Feb 14
Omoawoke:
Let me say something.

If you have ever gone into CBN and see the way the staff are working and the kind of people there, you will know Nigeria’s problem is deeper than you think.

When you have a sensitive system occupied by incompetent people, people who got the job through slots and nepotism.
Enter cbn office and see their staff watching movies in their laptops, doing little or nothing other than occupying space and earning salaries

How do you expect such system to function
100% correct, i have been there before trying to obtain a microfinance bank license and i have never seen a set of arrogant, entitled, corrupt and inept set of workers, infact i was told that 80% of their staffs are children of who is who in nigeria and even the management cant enforce staff discipline at all, which equally explain why there are sometimes more intelligent economic analyst on nairaland than the CBN and thier trashy policies that has landed nigeria in its current economic nightmare

2 Likes

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Emmyxclusive: 3:54pm On Feb 14
Omihanifa:
Upon all the dollars the CBN is pumping into the market through the banks the naira keep sliding undecided
If u had watched the recent video of Bode talking about how bank CEO use dollars sold to them to enrich themselves u won't be surprised
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Bfly: 3:54pm On Feb 14
Nigeria banks are also menace to the poor masses
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by AngelicBeing: 3:56pm On Feb 14
sukkot:
Warevaaaa. We hear how Wigwe and co are given dollars by CBN and how that’s how they all got rich
Hmmmmm tongue

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Smartguyboy(m): 4:07pm On Feb 14
Mitsurugi:

You need help
He’s a fraud
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Smartguyboy(m): 4:07pm On Feb 14
shortgun:

Where was obi's name mentioned in the article?
Get a life dude

We will show him shage
Fools
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by sunboy(m): 4:09pm On Feb 14
meum:
A sound economist would have known what to do not all these trial & error these people are doing to our economy.

I agree! But no theory works for the Nigerian economy.

Even if it works in all the countries of the world. We the people are looking for ways to sabotage the system and there’s zero consequences for those doing it simply cos they are above the law, and arresting them could burn the country.

They need to put Prof Soludo and Sanusi on payroll as consultants.
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by donborg(m): 4:12pm On Feb 14
nlfpmod:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/news/article/cbn-sells-dollars-at-spot-market-for-first-time-in-5-months/%3famp=1

Tinubu was instructed by the world bank to devalue the Naira to 2000 naira per dollar and he is going about it diligently.

All these sale or no sale, bureau d change war, backlog or whatever is just hogwash.

After successfully devaluing the naira, Tinubu will begin intervention on the Naira rate
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by bull67: 4:18pm On Feb 14
ibrocool:
If CBN is selling at ₦1,490 then we should be expecting the banks to be selling at ₦1,550 and above. The black market will be worst as they will sell between ₦1,600 and ₦1,800.

What is making me to get worried most is the floating of naira which is not really working. Our local products that is supposed to sell at lower price are competing with imported products which is at higher price. Image, cement being produced in Nigeria with abundance limestone is being sold for 10000 naira. Its Nigerians scaming Nigerians. We don't like or love ourselves.

A lot of reformation needs to be done in this country.
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by kenex4ever(m): 4:18pm On Feb 14
How can you call 1490naira per dollar low??
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by shortgun(m): 4:35pm On Feb 14
Smartguyboy:

We will show him shage
Fools
Frustrated demented poverty stricken dimbat grin grin
I am very sure you've not had a decent meal today, yet your problem is how to show Peter Obi shege, grin grin grin
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by ambale(m): 4:35pm On Feb 14
Omoawoke:
Let me say something.

If you have ever gone into CBN and see the way the staff are working and the kind of people there, you will know Nigeria’s problem is deeper than you think.

When you have a sensitive system occupied by incompetent people, people who got the job through slots and nepotism.
Enter cbn office and see their staff watching movies on their laptops, doing little or nothing other than occupying space and earning salaries.

That's the biggest problem in Nigeria now ooo

The day I vowed not to further any useless education in this country was the day a young lecturer who got the job through his father's influence was tryna to teach us business management and this guy was even struggling to read his own book

I just look am say this one na lecturer too?

Too many lazy people everywhere
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by ambale(m): 4:36pm On Feb 14
Different measures everyday and yet the rate is still going lower

Warris happunin gan gan?
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by ElSudani: 4:42pm On Feb 14
sukkot:
Warevaaaa. We hear how Wigwe and co are given dollars by CBN and how that’s how they all got rich

It is common knowledge, banks in other places make money by giving out loans, is that what Nigerian banks do?
They make huge profits by trading currencies between the central bank and the bureau de change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Dminister(m): 4:44pm On Feb 14
My savings box is almost filled with dollars😂😂Anytime I have free 200k or more I quickly go to aboki to buy 100 dollars to put inside my savings box. Life goes on
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Bmaster(m): 5:03pm On Feb 14
Omoawoke:
Let me say something.

Enter cbn office and see their staff watching movies on their laptops, doing little or nothing other than occupying space and earning salaries.

I was so surprised the day I went for my NIN at one local govt around,.
Mehn,come and see yourself how women at one division was busy plucking off ora leaves from the steak.
Chatting and laughing out so sheepishly as though they are in the market square.look at people govt pays every month end with our Tax money,!
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Calitoscassius(m): 5:07pm On Feb 14
So low rate is now 1490? grin grin grin it is really really low.
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Kukutente23: 5:28pm On Feb 14
Omoawoke:
Let me say something.

APC promised change from all this in 2015, 8 years later APC agents are complaining
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Omoawoke: 5:46pm On Feb 14
Kukutente23:

APC promised change from all this in 2015, 8 years later APC agents are complaining

The country will never move forward until you stop the ApC, pdp blame game while you remain victim.

Do you know some Juicy jobs have been assigned to people even before they finish school?

Check out offices in PTDF, DPR, CBN, NCC etc. The people to work there in the next 3 years, some are still in school and their fathers already kept the slot for them. Apc, pdp, Lp doesn’t matter to them and they keep rotating this irrespective of who wins the election.
The reason I left Nigeria is not because I wasn’t earning well in Nigeria, I left because I couldn’t process the depth of nepotism and injustice I saw. It doesn’t matter what you know, You don’t need to be a performer, any mediocre can work there as long as you have strong connection. You don’t improve, you don’t contribute, you just occupy space and collect salaries and bonuses. Your colleagues are not that smart, lazy unprofessional egocentric dimwits (there are exceptions though ) I find that sick enough, office look like a place to just go and sit and be idle doing nothing productive while your mates are breaking boundaries in private organizations and globally recognized firms with reputations. I’d rather work in PWC than rot in CBN or Firs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Kukutente23: 6:02pm On Feb 14
Omoawoke:

The country will never move forward until you stop the ApC, pdp blame game while you remain victim.

Do you know some Juicy jobs have been assigned to people even before they finish school?

Check out offices in PTDF, DPR, CBN, NCC etc. The people to work there in the next 3 years, some are still in school and their fathers already kept the slot for them. Apc, pdp, Lp doesn’t matter to them and they keep rotating this irrespective of who wins the election.
The reason I left Nigeria is not because I wasn’t earning well in Nigeria, I left because I couldn’t process the depth of nepotism and injustice I saw. It doesn’t matter what you know, You don’t need to be a performer, any mediocre can work there as long as you have strong connection. You don’t improve, you don’t contribute, you just occupy space and collect salaries and bonuses. Your colleagues are not that smart, lazy unprofessional egocentric dimwits (there are exceptions though ) I find that sick enough, office look like a place to just go and sit and be idle doing nothing productive while your mates are breaking boundaries in private organizations and globally recognized firms with reputations. I’d rather work in PWC than rot in CBN or Firs
Yeah. I'm sure.
Are you not one of the biggest tribal bigots on this platform?
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Omoawoke: 6:12pm On Feb 14
Kukutente23:

Yeah. I'm sure.
Are you not one of the biggest tribal bigots on this platform?

Yes I am, I started tribal bigotry when some bigots started attacking my tribe because of election. So? If you insult me, I insult you back. I no dey mature reach that extent. If you drag me, I drag you back. If you fight me, I’d fight back. Right from primary school, I’ve been like that. I’ve fought in school and gotten suspension on few occasions. If you stronger and beat me, I’d come back, I’ll tear your uniform, stone you, arrange you on the street. My report card will carry excellent but the comment will always be “he’s exceptional brilliant but need to improve on his behavior” I don’t look for trouble but don’t look for mine, I’d surely get revenge before I rest. I did that until people avoided me and don’t look for my trouble.
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Yankee101: 6:24pm On Feb 14
You just told the banks to sell excess dollars and you’re selling dollars back to them.

Who is giving this cbn governor banking advisory?

You’re failing out the door

1 Like

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by omokab: 6:32pm On Feb 14
Saturnalia:
CBN sells to Banks @ 1,490 Naira? And the Banks will sell to the BDC operators @ 1,690 Naira; BDC will sell to the general public @ 1,890 Naira, and the cycle continues.

Until the Black Market is scrapped, trust me, this is an exercise in futility.
they can't scrap it because BDC is operated by northerners . I mean 95% of them are Hausa.
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by Majesty7: 6:36pm On Feb 14
nlfpmod:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/news/article/cbn-sells-dollars-at-spot-market-for-first-time-in-5-months/%3famp=1

CBN are fools. Why sell it to the banks? Bank will still sell to the abokis. Let the bank be a channel. Anyone who need USD, should apply to CBN through bank with genuine documents. Banks are fraudsters

1 Like

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by hansomb: 7:03pm On Feb 14
Johnjustice:

Very myopic way to look at it. The question should be, why are we depending on the dollar in the first place.

Using IMF advice of floating the naira will be a disaster, because the naira, as it is can not compete with the dollar. Our dollar demand keeps getting higher as our imports volume increase by the day, more Nigerians are into dollar hoarding business, this also increase the value, due to scarcity, as more Nigerians go to school and treatment abroad we demand more dollars...naira has no chance.

The only way is dealing/trading with nations that will accept naira, at least if we cover only 50% of our imports with this arrangement of currency swap/receiving payments with local currency...naira value will quickly strengthen, because our national demand for dollars will drop. We can also start selling crude and gas in naira, so nations go look for naira, this will increase demand in naira, as they will come buy naira from us...It's all about demand and supply.
You're very correct 😎😎😎😎

1 Like

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by hansomb: 7:04pm On Feb 14
omokab:
they can't scrap it because BDC is operated by northerners . I mean 95% of them are Hausa.
Is the government ruled by the Northerners?
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by spiSeyi: 7:12pm On Feb 14
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

Are you ok?

And your cbn is selling to the banks at #1490/dollar?
Nigeria is posed to gain about 30% in the Fx inflow and will eventually spend a few FX because the high rate of USD will reduce importation drastically and more diaspora remittance and inflow of FX because Nigerian goods will become cheaper in the international market which would encourage more exportation.
The current economic reform will be difficult at first and would come with a lot of collateral damage but it will eventually result in economic boom for Nigeria in the next 1-2 yrs.
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by ufuosman(m): 8:19pm On Feb 14
Beta yawa na dey dis country
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by baby124: 10:14pm On Feb 14
This is very stupid. Two different rates again. Let the banks approach CBN with their verified orders from manufacturers and customers. They buy at prevailing market rate and CBN disburse at market rate in 2-3 business days. It will curtail the banks holding unnecessary dollars which they can use to speculate against the naira and run BDC’s out of business.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:28pm On Feb 14
Omihanifa:
Upon all the dollars the CBN is pumping into the market through the banks the naira keep sliding undecided
BANKS ARE CROOKS WITH POLITICIANS OF PAST 8YEARS.CBN SHOULD HAVE A DESK IN EACH BANK VETTING ALL THE FORM Ms .LETTERS OF CREDITS AND VALIDATE REPATRIATION PAYMENTS.
emefiele messed up the banking system with his conspirators who are still moles in banking sys,We pray that God Almighty recover our dollars from them all and fire them all down.Them no good see better do with our stolen dollars and stolen crude IFSHA. angry
Re: CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months by TheFreshVanilla: 1:16am On Feb 15
Gradually, we're getting there. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy / UBA Sets International Spending Limit To $20 Per Month / Student Cries After Her Savings 'Vanished' From Her Piggy Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.