Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee (11340 Views)

The 37-Member Committee On Minimum Wage Setup By FG / 2023: PDP To Inaugurate 37-Member Zoning Committee Thursday / Photos: Saraki Storms Senate, Announces Defection Of 15 APC Senators To PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by sirray001: 7:33pm On Feb 14
Jnas:
This will be the best Legacy of this Administration if it happens
it will be a waste of funds because nothing good will come out of it. With corruption in all the sector of this country, Nigeria is going no where
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by CaptainJune: 7:45pm On Feb 14
blacksam01:
Time to legalize 3rd term for thr master hi.self....

Cameroun comes to mind

I read you. They have found a mechanism to stretch Tinubu's administration into three terms.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Pinicop(m): 7:58pm On Feb 14
Bullshit

A country that doesn't have steady electricity or pipe borne water is talking about AI.

What a misplaced priority.

Idiots people
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by zeyt: 8:00pm On Feb 14
After your done dont you ever bring the same blatant lie again"We the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria"""""" blah blah" common Nigerians were never involved.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by zeyt: 8:00pm On Feb 14
After your done dont you ever bring the same blatant lie of preamble again"We the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria"""""" blah blah" common Nigerians were never involved.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Benia: 8:03pm On Feb 14
Na today ?
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Bayajjidda: 8:07pm On Feb 14
JAMO84:
If the review doesn't include everyone staying in his region, they should forget it

Why let everyone stay in their region when everyone can go their separate way? If everyone is to stay in their region, then dividing the country is the best deal.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by bentenny(m): 8:09pm On Feb 14
Any constitutional amendment that doesn't include resource control,state/community policing and decentralization of seaports is a clear sham and a waste of time!
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by EleventhWeirdo: 8:15pm On Feb 14
Moblux:

2014 Confab was far-reaching. No need for another

Confab report that proposed more unsustainable, cash-and-carry ineffective states instead of consolidating the existing ones into geopolitical zone-states ? Lol
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Zeezenho: 8:19pm On Feb 14
JAMO84:
If the review doesn't include everyone staying in his region, they should forget it

I support you on this.every one and every resources should stay on their region.

This the first time. Ronu man deh make sense to me.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by PHAYOL81: 8:56pm On Feb 14
Good. Just anything to effect the good change we want is welcomed.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
GOD BLESS WESTERN NIGERIA TOO
WE RISE!
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by spiSeyi: 8:59pm On Feb 14
Amother way to loot why not deliberate and implement the 2014 GEJ CONFAB report
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Omalicious1: 9:57pm On Feb 14
[quote author=politicoNG post=128456548]

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/02/14/just-in-senate-announces-37-member-constitution-review-committee/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2yXvrxXzgwU0kjjvx_kAOdMwvN24p83ZkSYY7hGQ4GPGgjc7UbLwUn5cY

Nlfpmod mll

Since the days of David Mark, there has always been a constitution review...what are they really reviewing? I would suggest the following

1. Let each state generate its own revenue
2. The minimum qualification for any political office holder should be either HND or BSc
3. Restructuring
4. Governors and Presidents should be a single tenure of 6 years.
5. Senators and House of Rep should be a single tenure of 4 years

Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by OKEIYIOKODU: 11:12pm On Feb 14
politicoNG:

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/02/14/just-in-senate-announces-37-member-constitution-review-committee/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2yXvrxXzgwU0kjjvx_kAOdMwvN24p83ZkSYY7hGQ4GPGgjc7UbLwUn5cY

Nlfpmod mynd44
Another occasion to loot the nation dry.In every four years the national assembly always organize this jamboree called constitutional review to loot the national wealth and nothing always come out of it.Just the last electoral laws review that created the worst confusion in the last elections. What we need national conference with restructuring as the mainstay.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Ilekokonit: 11:51pm On Feb 14
Complete gimmick created to divert the masses attention from how difficult it is for people to survive on a daily basis.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by MasterTeeUSA: 11:56pm On Feb 14
State Police for Govs by Govs...dey play dey play...in this Nigeria. Just imagine more guns on the street...Special Armed Units supplementing the National Police makes more sense.

politicoNG:

Nlfpmod mynd44
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by BALLOSKI: 5:08am On Feb 15
designking:
The current leadership of the APC don't have the political will to truly reform major misnormal of this country.

Two major constitutional review I look forward to is the Local government Autonomy and Autonomy of State Judiciary

My brother, God bless you.

Local government autonomy, autonomy for the state houses of assembly, autonomy for the judiciary at all level and the power to conduct LGs elections should be taken from the states.

I'm skeptical about state police as I believe governors would abuse their power here.

What are they doing with federal police that's not under their direct control? They still use it against opposition. I want a situation where state police operations are monitored by the federal police and their role clearly stated.

Any state found to have abused that power loses its right over them and the federal police takes over for a period of 6 months.

They(governors) lose control of the state police in election seasons just to curb their excesses or attempts to use them to rig election or witch-hunt opponents. Again, most states owe salaries - we don't want a situation whereby you give this guys guns and they don't get paid enough or don't get paid at all and they turn on the people. They begin to work with criminals or serve as their informants to set their colleagues up for attacks during operations.

1 Like

Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by BALLOSKI: 5:11am On Feb 15
MasterTeeUSA:
State Police for Govs by Govs...dey play dey play...in this Nigeria. Just imagine more guns on the street...Special Armed Units supplementing the National Police makes more sense.

Every state should be given power to select people from their state to join the police and be trained and never to be moved out of their state. They get paid by the state, but should not be allowed to take orders from the state. I don't know how we can do that.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by MasterTeeUSA: 5:21am On Feb 15
So, PDP Govs will select people that future APC Govs will use lol... Dey play dey play. Every 4-8 years, we will recruit, fire, and change police officers. Once it is given that the party will switch, you can expect an increase in disruption. I do not see this being a great idea at all. We cant even have peaceful elections.

BALLOSKI:
Every state should be given power to select people from their state to join the police and be trained and never to be moved out of their state. They get paid by the state, but should not be allowed to take orders from the state. I don't know how we can do that.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by ValarDoharis: 5:23am On Feb 15
Including the resources staying in each state(nothing like regions but states. Unless you as someone from maybe Ekiti is eyeing Lagos resources so wanna be in region)

Every state should have resource control and even at that you cannot ask people of a country not to stay where they like else dismantle the country. Why are they together if they cant live anywhere? Its like saying someone from New York cannot stay in California
JAMO84:
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by seunayantokun(m): 5:24am On Feb 15
designking:
The current leadership of the APC don't have the political will to truly reform major misnormal of this country.

Two major constitutional review I look forward to is the Local government Autonomy and Autonomy of State Judiciary
State judiciary autonomy already done and dusted unless you have people who still want to compromise themselves. What is needed now is totally independent state police and state prison service which they term correctional service.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by ValarDoharis: 5:27am On Feb 15
Dk not rope Atiku and Obi into Tinubu's ineptitude. The how is always more important that the policy itself. If you dont know how to drive, you'd crash even though everyone supports driving.

Your fear of governors abusing it is pedestrian because checks should be put in place
LegendHero:
Nice one.

The state police was rejected by the NASS during the last administration. I hope they pass it this time around.

My fear is just that the governors should not flop in handling those police and make crime skyrocket now and now come back to blame FG for allowing state police in the first place.

Every policy is good on paper in Nigeria. Naira float removal was the main song everyone was singing only to come and start blaming the president after seeing the effect of their darling Naira float.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by gaskiyamagana: 5:52am On Feb 15
Na so they deceived us through 8yrs of BUHARI. It is another APCHEAT on our sense.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by sokera: 6:30am On Feb 15
Agunesinjaweola:
This is the beginning of the end of Nigeria !!!
Can you imagine Super Cop Salisu caught in LAGOS and expect someone in the North to believe you

Can you imagine the notorious Evans - the kidnapper to be released for prosecution in Osun State or in LAGOS by Anambra police.

Can you imagine Oyo Police to arrest an Ipob agent on the run from Ibadan to Enugu
Can you expect police in Ilorin to allow a Muslim suspect and take to Abia state for prosecution
All we need is a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Department 🚓🚨

Constitutional amendment is never going to end the agitation for a new one.
You need exposure, this only means every one should police their state/region. Just like it’s done in United Kingdom… the Scottish police Scotland, the English police England and the Welsh police Wales … not very difficult as it sounds… that way everyone can protect their land and the criminals will be scared to go into another man’s land to commit… I am a Yoruba man, just imagine I am policing any part of Yoruba land with well equipped weapons and I see Fulani man or Igbo man committing crimes on Yoruba land so pe oti looooo… I don’t care what igbos do to any criminals on their land … but my own Yoruba land must be fortified and decent by force by fire
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Jomonix: 6:41am On Feb 15
n
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by Iamanoited: 6:55am On Feb 15
WHO ARE THE GUN-TOTING MARAUDERS IN NIGERIA? WHO IMPORTED AK-47 INTO THE COUNTRY?

TINUBU CANNOT CONTINUE WITH BUHARINOMICS. BUHARINOMICS IS RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY. CAN'T WORK. NIGERIA IS NOT A TOY-SHARIA.

TINUNOMICS MUST ADOPT FULL AUTONOMOUS POLICING RESOURCING AND ELECTIONEERING STATUSES FOR OUR 36 CONSTITUTIONAL STATES AND CERTIFIED TITHES CONTRIBUTION SYSTEM TO RUN FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

NIGERIA IS NOW AT THE ROOFTOP. TO ESCAPE THEREFROM, NIGERIA NEEDS A REFERENDUM.

THEREFORE OUR 37 COMMITTEE NASS CLUB MUST CONSTITUTE INTO A 1999 DECREE AND REVIEW COMMITTEE.

Orisa37
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by JAMO84: 7:19am On Feb 15
ValarDoharis:
Including the resources staying in each state(nothing like regions but states. Unless you as someone from maybe Ekiti is eyeing Lagos resources so wanna be in region)

Every state should have resource control and even at that you cannot ask people of a country not to stay where they like else dismantle the country. Why are they together if they cant live anywhere? Its like saying someone from New York cannot stay in California
Your obsession with Lagos cannot change the fact that Lagos is located in the South West, deal with it.

When Nigeria was doing regionalism, South West didn't care about your oil, we did great without oil, in fact, your oil is a curse to us. Leave our region for us and take your oil along.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by ajibike447: 8:17am On Feb 15
It's like turkeys voting for Christmas. Will these thieves make review that benefit Nigerians? Doubt itIt's like turkeys voting for Christmas. Will these thieves make review that benefit Nigerians? Doubt it...
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by meedoLock(m): 8:44am On Feb 15
politicoNG:

Nlfpmod mynd44

We are getting there. Anyone that come first will be highly effective in turning things around for good. We will never remain thesame. This call means they hear and listens to our cries for a symbolic reform.
Re: Senate Announces 37-Member Constitution Review Committee by ValarDoharis: 9:28am On Feb 15
Nope, we prefer the country is separated instead of this pretense! We do not want regionalism, we want separate countries
JAMO84:
Your obsession with Lagos cannot change the fact that Lagos is located in the South West, deal with it.

When Nigeria was doing regionalism, South West didn't care about your oil, we did great without oil, in fact, your oil is a curse to us. Leave our region for us and take your oil along.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election INEC OFFICIAL RESULT / AAC Publishes Evidence Of Query And Suspension Of Leonard Ezenwa / Governor El-Rufai Frees 25 Prisoners On Nigeria's 60th Independence Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.