Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? (3291 Views)

South-African ANC Party Shares Bikini Photo Of Its Supporter / Curtain Call For South Africa's Julius Malema Show / Julius Malema Called A Bbc Reporter A "Bastar..." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 3:15pm On Nov 10, 2011
JOHANNESBURG — [size=18pt]South Africa's ruling ANC suspended firebrand youth leader Julius Malema for five years[/size] for provoking divisions in the party Thursday, a move that boosts President Jacob Zuma's re-election bid.
Malema, who did not attend the reading the of the verdict, was found guilty of three of the four charges against him, said Derek Hanekom, who headed the disciplinary hearings for the African National Congress.
"The respondant shall vacate his position as the president of the ANC Youth League," he said.

Unless the suspension is reduced on appeal, the decision means that Malema, 30, would be too old to return as the head of the Youth League if he returns to the party in five years.

read more: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jLceLgNNXy_QH2-T9u1QfanzBhdw?docId=CNG.03f64e6a0a046fdfd69a2fac4e9f8644.31
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 3:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
Is this a good move by the ANC?
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by morpheus24: 3:37pm On Nov 10, 2011
THe guy was getting too loud. had to be silenced but he's made good friends and I doubt we've seen the last of that comrade.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by paniki(m): 5:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
nolongTing:

Is this a good move by the ANC?

nolongthing you don't know enough about South Africa that's why you suspect that this move could have adverse effects. These sort of things were people come and go happen all the time and life continues. Just two weeks ago Zuma fired two of his corrupt cabinet ministers: Gwen Mahlangu-Nkabinde who signed dodgy deals and Sicelo Shiceka who visited a girlfriend in Switzerland using state funds. Zuma also suspended the police chief Bheki Cele who also engaged in a dodgy deal and our previous police chief Jackie Selebi has already been sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for corruption and was last week appealing his conviction.

Malema will appeal the suspension which will go on for a few months after which he will fizzle out and be replaced by another firebrand ANCYL leader. We are used to these youth league leaders who go around the country and excite the youth with their rhetoric. Malema's predecessor Fikile Mbalula who is now the minister of sports was just like Julius, going all over the country to speak for what he thought was right for the youth and also speak against the government at times. Fikile's youth league predecessor Malusi Gigaba who is now the minister of public enterprises was as much of a firebrand as the other two during his time in the 90s. So please know that South Africans are used to ANC Youth League leaders who talk too much.

The move by the ANC was necessary to keep the integrity of the organization intact. The ANC explains itself http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=9133
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by morpheus24: 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2011
^^^

So judging from the trend Malema will soon be appointed Minister.

I suggest he be appointed "Minister of Tourism", What do you think? he's quite a brand image for SA isn't he?
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Nov 10, 2011
About time!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 10:27pm On Nov 10, 2011
paniki:

[b]nolongthing you don't know enough about South Africa [/b]that's why you suspect that this move could have adverse effects. These sort of things were people come and go happen all the time and life continues. Just two weeks ago Zuma fired two of his corrupt cabinet ministers: Gwen Mahlangu-Nkabinde who signed dodgy deals and Sicelo Shiceka who visited a girlfriend in Switzerland using state funds. Zuma also suspended the police chief Bheki Cele who also engaged in a dodgy deal and our previous police chief Jackie Selebi has already been sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for corruption and was last week appealing his conviction.

My good old NL fried paniki - how you dey now?  grin grin Hmm you seem to have a short memory, this is where I schooled you on your beloved SA.   https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-783402.0.html

I simply asked a question I made no assumptions on this thread, I was simply interested in peoples opinion.  wink

paniki:

Malema will appeal the suspension which will go on for a few months after which he will fizzle out and be replaced by another firebrand ANCYL leader. We are used to these youth league leaders who go around the country and excite the youth with their rhetoric. Malema's predecessor Fikile Mbalula who is now the minister of sports was just like Julius, going all over the country to speak for what he thought was right for the youth and also speak against the government at times. Fikile's youth league predecessor Malusi Gigaba who is now the minister of public enterprises was as much of a firebrand as the other two during his time in the 90s. So please know that South Africans are used to ANC Youth League leaders who talk too much.

The move by the ANC was necessary to keep the integrity of the organization intact. The ANC explains itself http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=9133

OK, according to your knowledge Malema is a “regular occurrence” in SA politics, every year you have a Youth leader that claims he is “ready to take up arms and kill” - very normal indeed.

Oh well, according to your logic Malema will; be made the next “Finance Minister” by the ANC and will never be disruptive to SA politics again – I'm laughing in Zulu.  grin grin grin grin grin

"The gloves are off" That was the response from Malema the future SA minister; oh, never mind he just talks too much.  tongue
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by paniki(m): 12:25am On Nov 11, 2011
nolongthing your comments just prove that you don't know enough as I have assessed. And now you trying to apply your old strategy of shifting attention away from the spotlight shinning on your ignorance. Julius Malema might be surprising you with his militant and radical utterances that excite the youth and dismay those with limited knowledge but to South Africans who have been exposed to the even more radical likes of Peter Mokaba, Malusi Gigaba, Fikile Mbalula we know that Malema is just working hard to keep up with the trend set by his predecessors. In fact Malema is a copycat of Peter Mokaba who used to campaign for Boers and farmers to be killed in the early 90s, this of cause got Mokaba in hot waters with Mandela who was trying to stabilize the country at that time. Nevertheless, he too made it into Mandela's cabinet.

nolonthing I've educated you enough for now, it's up to you to upgrade your understanding by researching any of those three previous leaders of the ANCYL. Once you know about them, you will then realise that Julius Malema might be a radical person who is new to you but his kind is old to South Aficans. I suggest you focus on Fikile Mbalula who came before Malema and was a regular critic of Mbeki and his government and he also helped to get rid of Mbeki.

One headstart from 2007 - http://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/drama-queen-manuel-slammed-by-mbalula-1.382651
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by Beaf: 1:40am On Nov 11, 2011
nolongTing:

My good old NL fried paniki - how you dey now? grin grin Hmm you seem to have a short memory, this is where I schooled you on your beloved SA. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-783402.0.html

I simply asked a question I made no assumptions on this thread, I was simply interested in peoples opinion. wink

OK, according to your knowledge Malema is a “regular occurrence” in SA politics, every year you have a Youth leader that claims he is “ready to take up arms and kill” - very normal indeed.

Oh well, according to your logic Malema will; be made the next “Finance Minister” by the ANC and will never be disruptive to SA politics again – I'm laughing in Zulu. grin grin grin grin grin

"The gloves are off" That was the response from Malema the future SA minister; oh, never mind he just talks too much. tongue

I really detest foolish responses like the above.
Learn to tackle issues, not personalities. Attempting to intimidate is for empty headed thugs.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 2:56am On Nov 11, 2011
paniki:

nolongthing your comments just prove that you don't know enough as I have assessed. And now you trying to apply your old strategy of shifting attention away from the spotlight shinning on your ignorance. Julius Malema might be surprising you with his militant and radical utterances that excite the youth and dismay those with limited knowledge but to South Africans who have been exposed to the even more radical likes of Peter Mokaba, Malusi Gigaba, Fikile Mbalula we know that Malema is just working hard to keep up with the trend set by his predecessors. In fact Malema is a copycat of Peter Mokaba who used to campaign for Boers and farmers to be killed in the early 90s, this of cause got Mokaba in hot waters with Mandela who was trying to stabilize the country at that time. Nevertheless, he too made it into Mandela's cabinet.

nolonthing I've educated you enough for now, it's up to you to upgrade your understanding by researching any of those three previous leaders of the ANCYL. Once you know about them, you will then realise that Julius Malema might be a radical person who is new to you but his kind is old to South Aficans. I suggest you focus on Fikile Mbalula who came before Malema and was a regular critic of Mbeki and his government and he also helped to get rid of Mbeki.

One headstart from 2007 - http://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/drama-queen-manuel-slammed-by-mbalula-1.382651

You have a clear comprehension problem, the sooner you address this deficiency the better.

Thread Topic:  Anc Suspends Malema - Whats Next?

My question:  Is this a good move by the ANC?

Is this too hard for you to understand?

I dare you to make a constructive contribution to this thread and desist from personal attacks.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 2:57am On Nov 11, 2011
Beaf:

I really detest foolish responses like the above.
Learn to tackle issues, not personalities. Attempting to intimidate is for empty headed thugs.

What a mess, Beaf the senseless dimwit synonymous with posting pure, undiluted crap is trying to be clever – wonders shall never cease to end on NL.

Your sole contribution to this thread is a crude, bitter, personal attack and yet you are daft enough to complain about not tackling the subject matter.

Your miserable tantrum has betrayed you and revealed that you are intimidated by my superior intellect.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2011
[size=18pt]Suspended Malema vows to fight on[/size]

[img]http://www.theindependent.co.zw/images/julius-malema_hm.jpg[/img]

SOUTH Africa’s governing ANC yesterday suspended youth leader Julius Malema from the party for five years. He was found guilty of bringing the party into disrepute and asked to step down as youth league president.

Once a close ally of President Jacob Zuma, Malema has become one of his strongest critics, accusing him of ignoring poor South Africans who helped bring him to power in 2009.

Malema wants Zuma replaced as party leader ahead of the 2014 elections, but it is now difficult to see how Malema can affect the ANC leadership contest next year.

Malema has said he will appeal against the ANC’s decision to suspend him.  The [size=18pt] “gloves are off”[/size], Malema said after writing a University of South Africa examination in Polokwane.

“Let the enemy enjoy, but that victory will not last,” SAFM quoted him as saying. “We will be liberated by Mangaung 2012,” said Malema, referring to the ANC’s elective and policy-making conference to be held next year.

“Real leaders of the ANC must now stand up in defence of the ANC,” he added.  “What I like about these people who have suspended us is that they are brave, they are not scared.”

Malema added: “We must also fight for what we believe in. We must never apologise. The gloves are off.”  Malema has 14 days to appeal, but was already suspended for his statements on Zimbabwe and so must vacate his position as ANC  youth league leader immediately.

http://www.theindependent.co.zw/international/33110-suspended-malema-vows-to-fight-on.html
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by paniki(m): 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
I think that nolongthing is not well clued up about South Africa and its current affairs and so I have provided news sites which I visit in order to keep up-to-date. I think they might help him know and understand.

www.southafrica.info/

www.iol.co.za/

www.news24.com/

www.mg.co.za/

www.businessday.co.za/

www.timeslive.co.za/

www.thenewage.co.za/

www.sowetanlive.co.za/

www.fm.co.za/

www.engineeringnews.co.za/
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by Beaf: 12:40am On Nov 12, 2011
^
There are many like him. The unfortunate thing is, he can't see that his combination of animal aggression and ignorance only make him look really bad and downright annoying.

There is no pride in making a public ridicule of oneself.

@nolongtin
Silence is the best answer to a f. . .
You know the drill! cool
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by salassie(f): 2:28am On Nov 12, 2011
comic relief regarding this matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXI9chPJ2E
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 2:40am On Nov 12, 2011
paniki:

I think that nolongthing is not well clued up about South Africa and its current affairs and so I have provided news sites which I visit in order to keep up-to-date. I think they might help him know and understand.

www.southafrica.info/

www.iol.co.za/

www.news24.com/

www.mg.co.za/

www.businessday.co.za/

www.timeslive.co.za/

www.thenewage.co.za/

www.sowetanlive.co.za/

www.fm.co.za/

www.engineeringnews.co.za/

You could not rise to the challenge and make a constructive contribution. Your sub-standard post-apartheid Boer education coupled with your blatantly narrow reading list above has made it crystal clear why you are so ignorant and narrow minded – I find your naive demeanour amusing.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by nolongTing: 2:43am On Nov 12, 2011
Beaf:

^
There are many like him. The unfortunate thing is, he can't see that his combination of animal aggression and ignorance only make him look really bad and downright annoying.

There is no pride in making a public ridicule of oneself.

@nolongtin
Silence is the best answer to a f. . .
You know the drill! cool

Beaf Burger the “Beer parlour gossip champion of NL”, aren't you suppose to be washing Dame's blood stained, soiled panties? Dignified silence is something you are incapable of – however it would be wonderful if you could pull off a miracle and STFU.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by salassie(f): 3:46am On Nov 12, 2011
nolongTing:
I simply asked a question I made no assumptions on this thread, I was simply interested in peoples opinion. wink

Some reactions and opinions

Celebrations in Juju's home town
Frank Maponya | 11 November, 2011 00:40

[img]http://www.timeslive.co.za/Feeds/2011/08/02/malema-hands-on-head/RESIZED/Small/malema+hands+on+head[/img]

Seshego, Julius Malema's home town, erupted into wild celebrations last night following the firebrand's suspension as president of the ANC Youth League.

Large convoys of cars noisily drove through the streets of the township, just outside Polokwane in Limpopo, with people hanging out of windows.

Residents, young and old, came out of their houses to join in the celebrations. This happened in the presence of police.

Malema and his lieutenants, who had been hero-worshipping him, were nowhere to be seen.

The group sang anti-Malema songs as they welcomed his downfall.

"It's over with Malema. There will be peace in South Africa," sang the group.

"We have had enough of Malema and his group, who had been looking at their own interests rather than those of the masses who voted them into power.

"He should have known that what goes around comes around," warned one of the angry protesters, who refused to be identified for fear of victimisation.

"We want Sello Moloto back to lead Limpopo because there is a leadership vacuum," said another, who clearly showed disapproval of current Limpopo premier Cassel Mathale's leadership style.

The sanctions imposed on the youth league's top six officials were widely welcomed yesterday. Many saw them as a move to restore discipline.

"We cannot allow people to engage in deviant behaviour and not act," said ANC spokesman Jackson Mthembu.

Other political parties and civil society groups applauded the decision by the ANC's national disciplinary committee to axe Malema as league president, and Floyd Shivambu as his spokesman, saying they had polarised South Africa and damaged the country's reputation.

Malema was slapped with a five-year suspension and Shivambu with a three-year ban.

The Congress of South African Trade Unions would not comment specifically on the sanctions, but said the union federation was committed to discipline in the ANC.

DA youth leader Makashule Gana said the move would be a catalyst for the ANC's internal power struggles and cause a realignment of politics in the next five years.

Freedom Front Plus leader Pieter Mulder said South Africa was a better place: "Malema and Shivambu have without a doubt caused a lot of damage to South Africa internationally as well as nationally."

ACDP leader Kenneth Meshoe said the ruling sent a strong message to the youth league that ill-discipline in any form would not be tolerated.

UDM leader Bantu Holomisa said Malema had been caught in the crossfire of an ambiguous policy.

"We find it mind-boggling how the same ANC failed to sanction Malema for insulting former president Thabo Mbeki in 2008," he said. "The verdict on him will certainly be finalised at the ANC's 2012 Mangaung conference."

Malema has been ordered to vacate his office. - Additional reporting by Sapa

Survey shows support for Malema verdict

Seventy percent of a group of young South Africans surveyed feel the ANC's decision to suspend its youth league president Julius Malema for five years is justified, TNS surveys said on Friday.

"The survey, which skews towards younger people, showed that 70% of people felt that the sentence was justified," it said in a statement.

The company said it conducted a short mobile survey after Malema's suspension by the ANC's national disciplinary committee was announced on Thursday.

Of the 601 who responded, 30% felt it was too harsh. The figure of 70% dropped to 66% for those aged under 24 years and rose to 85% for those aged 31 years and over. There were no gender differences.

Amongst people whose home language is English or Afrikaans, 88% felt the sentence was justified.

Among all the other language groups, this figure dropped to 66%.

Among those for whom Sepedi is their home language, 57% felt the sanction was too harsh, with 43% feeling it was justified.

Sepedi is a dominant language in Limpopo, Malema's home province.

A second question: "Do you support what Julius Malema says and does or not?" yielded 29% in support of the statement, and 71% not in support of the statement.

The figure of 29% contrasts with the 25% noted in a study conducted in early September.

A third question was also posed: "Do you feel that Julius Malema should form his own party or should he stay with the ANC?"

Thirty-three percent voted in favour of him forming a new party and 67% for him to stay with the ANC.

Among people whose home language is English or Afrikaans, 47% felt he should form a new party. Among all the other language groups, this figure dropped to 30%.

Of the 601 respondents, who were aged 16 and older, 461 were blacks and 112 people of other race groups. The survey was conducted using mobile phone self-completion interviews in South Africa.

The "universe" for the study consisted of over 300 000 mobile phone users who make use of the FSMS service, which offers free SMSes in return for the SMS also carrying an advertisement.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by Beaf: 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2011
^
Don't mind windbags like that fool called Nolongting. It's a puzzle why a grown up would voluntarily choose to live in an imaginary World of lies.
Re: ANC Suspends Julius Malema - Whats Next? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:08pm On Nov 12, 2011
That hurts

(1) (Reply)

Africa In Trouble As Russia Establishes Military Base In Central Africa Republic / See America’s First Indian Lesbian Wedding / Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.