Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,263 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. (775 Views)

Martin Onovo: Abba Kyari, Magu Are Products Of Corrupt Police System / SWAT: Six Things To Know About New Police Unit / Nigeria Ranked As The Number One Country To Do Business In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by SyrusdeHansome(m): 10:45pm On Feb 20
Now that the Nigerian police force has been ranked by the World Internal Security and Police Index(WISPI) as the world most corrupt police unit what will the police leadership say to defend themselves? What can they do differently to redeem their already dirty image?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 10:48pm On Feb 20
A well-deserved ranking.

Mohbad's case alone is enough. Mohbad is touching so many things.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by SyrusdeHansome(m): 10:49pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:
A well-deserved ranking.
We fit explain dis one with enough evidence.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by chiiraq802(m): 10:49pm On Feb 20
Nigerian Police Force is a shame to Police Force world wide. I know so many Police Force are corrupt but guy!! no gree mk you enter one chance for Nigerian Police People hand. na there you go realize say Nigerian Police is nothing close to your friend.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 10:55pm On Feb 20
SyrusdeHansome:

Yes oh! 😂
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by SyrusdeHansome(m): 10:59pm On Feb 20
chiiraq802:
Nigerian Police Force is a shame to Police Force world wide. I know so many Police Force are corrupt but guy!! no gree mk you enter one chance for Nigerian Police People hand. na there you go realize say Nigerian Police is nothing close to your friend.
The NPF don`t even trust themselves not to talk the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by chiiraq802(m): 11:01pm On Feb 20
SyrusdeHansome:
The NPF don`t even trust themselves not to talk the masses.
Very corrupt people! All of them!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Victerica(m): 11:04pm On Feb 20
I am the reason why they are the most corrupt.

OP, where is your source?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Nice2023(m): 11:09pm On Feb 20
If u have a brother with the Nigeria police force...honestly,u have no brother.

Shameless force.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:10pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:
A well-deserved ranking.
What of the corrupt citizens like yourself that they are protecting, where are you ranked in the corruption index?

Because as you are quiet aware of, the apple never falls too far away from the tree.

Just inquiring for my Algerian friend.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 11:12pm On Feb 20
Burob:
What of the corrupt citizens like yourself that they are protecting, where are you ranked in the corruption index? Just asking for a friend.
Rank yourself first. Prove that I am corrupt. It seems you or your parent is in the corrupt NPF.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:15pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:
Rank yourself first.
Your President is a drug baron, your police are the most corrupt in the world in your index, but you poor hungry citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a reverend father?

Even your name shows the kind of thing that you are.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 11:16pm On Feb 20
Burob:
Your President is a drug baron, your police are the most corrupt in the world in your index, but you poor hungry citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a reverend father?

You are trying to change the topic. It won't work for you.

Rank yourself first and prove that I am corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Rossikk(m): 11:17pm On Feb 20
LET US FACT CHECK YOU, Mr IPOB OP Traitor and Liar

January 22, 2024

https://factcheckhub.com/nigerian-police-rated-worst-globally-7-years-ago-not-recent/

AN online publication, Parallel Facts, has claimed that the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is the worst and most corrupt police agency in the world.

According to the platform, the report was based on the ranking conducted by the World Internal Security and Police Index (WISPI), now known as the Global Police and Security Index (GPSI).

The post has generated over 3,000 reposts and more than 4000 likes on her X handle (@ParallelFacts).

Part of the publication (archived here) reads: “The World Internal Security and Police Index (WISPI) has declared the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) the number-one worst police department globally. The ranking comes as no surprise, considering the NPF’s consistent failure to uphold law and order.
“The force’s dismal record is reflected in its blatant disregard for court orders and the constitution, earning it a zero in respect for legal norms.”

CLAIM
Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is recently ranked the worst and most corrupt Police force in the world.

THE FINDINGS
Findings by The FactCheckHub show that the claim is MISLEADING.

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has often been criticized for bribery, widespread corruption and human rights abuses by its officers. The need for police reform led to a nationwide protest in October 2020.

Checks by The FactCheckHub show that the publication based its report on a blog post by Nigerian Queries with the headline that read: “10 Most Corrupt Police Forces in the world (2024).”

However, The FactCheckHub found out that the ranking was based on a 2016 report which rated the Nigeria Police Force as the “worst” globally in terms of its ability to handle internal security challenges. [NOT 'CORRUPTION']

The report was released in 2017 by the International Police Science Association (IPSA) and the Institute for Economics and Peace, a nonprofit organisation that brings together experts, researchers and scholars concerned with security work from all over the world.

The WISPI ranking examines the four domains of internal security: capacity, process, legitimacy and outcomes.

According to the report, the Nigerian police performed worst on the index on all four domains, with a score of 0.255 ranked 127 below the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Uganda and Pakistan.

The report was released about seven years ago during the tenure of Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Kpotun Idris (2016-2019) and reported by local media including The Cable newspaper, Premium Times and Vanguard, among others.

The NPF, at the time, rejected the ranking as published by Channels TV and Punch newspaper in November 2017.

The then Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, in a statement rejected the ranking saying Nigeria Police is the best in Africa and one of the best in the world.

“Nigeria Police Force is the best in UN Peace Keeping Operations, the best in Africa, one of the best in the world. The Force rejects the report as unempirical and absolute falsehood, should be disregarded and discountenanced,” Moshood said in the statement.

The Nigerian police said after a careful study of the report and the news items emanating from it, it discovers that the report is misleading, adding that the report did not consider various training and re-training that the force has been empowered with by both local and foreign organisations.

In addition, there has been three IGPs in Nigeria since then, namely: IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu (2019-2021), IGP Usman Alkali Baba (2021-2023) and the current IGP, Kayode Egbetokun.

The report did not consider the impact of recent police reforms such as the disbandment of the tactical (SARS) squad and the current performance of the police force.

The FactCheckHub dug further and found a more recent ranking by the International Police Association which measures the perceived levels of police departments in 211 countries and territories.

According to the report published in 2019, over 40 countries were ranked poor for performing below average. The country in the worst category included Azerbaijan, Somalia, Venezuela, Djibouti, Uganda, Liberia, Vietnam, Niger, Iraq, Turkmenistan Republic, Burundi, Egypt, Syria, Chad, Congo, Cameroon, Sudan, North Korea, Libya, Congo Republic among others.

Meanwhile, the report ranked Nigeria among average-performing police forces under a SATISFACTORY category

Others in the category are Argentina, Bahamas, Bahrain, Cuba, Kenya, Morocco Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and the United Arab Emirates among others.

On corruption, The FactCheckHub could not find a recent credible research or survey with verifiable methodology indicating that the Nigeria Police Force is ranked the most corrupt in the world.

THE VERDICT

The claim by Parallel Facts that the Nigeria Police Force is the worst and most corrupt globally is MISLEADING; findings show that the publication relied on data published about seven years ago.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:17pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:
You are trying to change the topic. It won't work for you.

Rank yourself first and prove that I am corrupt.
Are you Nigerian or Ghanaian?
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by SyrusdeHansome(m): 11:17pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:
Rank yourself first. Prove that I am corrupt.
Either that monika is a policeman or any of his parent is one of them so we can`t blame him for trying to defend his source of livelihood

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:17pm On Feb 20
Burob:

Find me 800
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 11:19pm On Feb 20
Burob:
Are you Nigerian or Ghanaian?
You didn't ask this question when you claimed I am corrupt. So, don't divert.

Rank yourself first and prove that I ma corrupt.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:22pm On Feb 20
SyrusdeHansome:

Either that monika is a policeman or any of his parent is one of them so we can`t blame him for trying to defend his source of livelihood

At least 800

Is that 2much
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:23pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:

The President of Nigeria is corrupt, the Nigeria police force is the most corrupt in the world, Nigerian politicians are the 3rd most corrupt in the world, are you a Nigerian?

Yes or no, stop dodging the question.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 11:25pm On Feb 20
Burob:
The President of Nigeria is corrupt, the Nigeria police force is the most corrupt in the world, Nigerian politicians are the 3rd most corrupt in the world, are you a Nigerian? Yes or no, stop dodging the question.

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:27pm On Feb 20
SyrusdeHansome:

Yes o, even Nigerians that work for the government be it Federal, state or the local government are adjourned to be the 2nd most corrupt in the world according to your own indexes, so which tier of government do your parents work in?

We know that the Police is Federal.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:31pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:

Guilty conscience in overdrive, charcoal pot calling electric kettle black.

You are ashamed to admit that you are a Nigerian abi, Nigerians are corrupt from your president to the people that are purportedly meant to protect you from criminals, but are holier than the pope?

Other Nigerians & their family members are corrupt, but are not, because you are from Ghana or Togo?
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:32pm On Feb 20
Burob:
Yes o, even Nigerians that work for the government be it Federal, state or the local government are adjourned to be the 2nd most corrupt in the world according to your own indexes, so which tier of government do your parents work in?

We trying 2 survive

cry
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 11:32pm On Feb 20
Burob:
Guilty conscience in overdrive, charcoal pot calling electric kettle black.

You are ashamed to admit that you are a Nigerian abi, Nigerians are corrupt from your president to the people that are purportedly meant to protect you from criminals, but are holier than the pope?

Other Nigerians & their family members are corrupt, but are not, because you are from Ghana or Togo?

Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:36pm On Feb 20
immortalcrown:

Stealing is not corruption grin.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by SyrusdeHansome(m): 11:36pm On Feb 20
Burob:

No matter how hard u try to change the narrative it won`t change the fact that the NPF is the most corrupt police force in the world. If i were 2b a police officer i`d hide my face in shame for topping such a shameful ranking.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by immortalcrown(m): 11:37pm On Feb 20
Burob:
Stealing is not corruption grin.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Burob: 11:51pm On Feb 20
SyrusdeHansome:

No matter how hard u try to change the narrative it won`t change the fact that the NPF is the most corrupt police force in the world. If i were 2b a police officer i`d hide my face in shame for topping such a shameful ranking.
Well hide your face in shame, because you come from the country that has the most corrupt police force in the world.

The supposed corrupt police is only a reflection of the corrupt people that they are mandated to serve & protect.

The apple never falls too far away from the tree.
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by iamtardey: 12:31am On Feb 21
SyrusdeHansome:

FR sha
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Ttipsy(f): 12:36am On Feb 21
So ?
Should we pretend to be surprised?
Re: Nigerian Police Force Ranked As The World Most Corrupt Police Unit. by Rossikk(m): 2:24am On Feb 21
Ttipsy:
So ?
Should we pretend to be surprised?

DON'T PRETEND YOU DIDN'T SEE THE FACT-CHECK SHOWING THE OP IS A LYING IPOB DEMON JUST LIKE YOU.

LET US FACT CHECK YOU, Mr IPOB OP Traitor and Liar

January 22, 2024

https://factcheckhub.com/nigerian-police-rated-worst-globally-7-years-ago-not-recent/

AN online publication, Parallel Facts, has claimed that the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is the worst and most corrupt police agency in the world.

According to the platform, the report was based on the ranking conducted by the World Internal Security and Police Index (WISPI), now known as the Global Police and Security Index (GPSI).

The post has generated over 3,000 reposts and more than 4000 likes on her X handle (@ParallelFacts).

Part of the publication (archived here) reads: “The World Internal Security and Police Index (WISPI) has declared the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) the number-one worst police department globally. The ranking comes as no surprise, considering the NPF’s consistent failure to uphold law and order.
“The force’s dismal record is reflected in its blatant disregard for court orders and the constitution, earning it a zero in respect for legal norms.”

CLAIM
Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is recently ranked the worst and most corrupt Police force in the world.

THE FINDINGS
Findings by The FactCheckHub show that the claim is MISLEADING.

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has often been criticized for bribery, widespread corruption and human rights abuses by its officers. The need for police reform led to a nationwide protest in October 2020.

Checks by The FactCheckHub show that the publication based its report on a blog post by Nigerian Queries with the headline that read: “10 Most Corrupt Police Forces in the world (2024).”

However, The FactCheckHub found out that the ranking was based on a 2016 report which rated the Nigeria Police Force as the “worst” globally in terms of its ability to handle internal security challenges. [NOT 'CORRUPTION']

The report was released in 2017 by the International Police Science Association (IPSA) and the Institute for Economics and Peace, a nonprofit organisation that brings together experts, researchers and scholars concerned with security work from all over the world.

The WISPI ranking examines the four domains of internal security: capacity, process, legitimacy and outcomes.

According to the report, the Nigerian police performed worst on the index on all four domains, with a score of 0.255 ranked 127 below the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Uganda and Pakistan.

The report was released about seven years ago during the tenure of Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Kpotun Idris (2016-2019) and reported by local media including The Cable newspaper, Premium Times and Vanguard, among others.

The NPF, at the time, rejected the ranking as published by Channels TV and Punch newspaper in November 2017.

The then Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, in a statement rejected the ranking saying Nigeria Police is the best in Africa and one of the best in the world.

“Nigeria Police Force is the best in UN Peace Keeping Operations, the best in Africa, one of the best in the world. The Force rejects the report as unempirical and absolute falsehood, should be disregarded and discountenanced,” Moshood said in the statement.

The Nigerian police said after a careful study of the report and the news items emanating from it, it discovers that the report is misleading, adding that the report did not consider various training and re-training that the force has been empowered with by both local and foreign organisations.

In addition, there has been three IGPs in Nigeria since then, namely: IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu (2019-2021), IGP Usman Alkali Baba (2021-2023) and the current IGP, Kayode Egbetokun.

The report did not consider the impact of recent police reforms such as the disbandment of the tactical (SARS) squad and the current performance of the police force.

The FactCheckHub dug further and found a more recent ranking by the International Police Association which measures the perceived levels of police departments in 211 countries and territories.

According to the report published in 2019, over 40 countries were ranked poor for performing below average. The country in the worst category included Azerbaijan, Somalia, Venezuela, Djibouti, Uganda, Liberia, Vietnam, Niger, Iraq, Turkmenistan Republic, Burundi, Egypt, Syria, Chad, Congo, Cameroon, Sudan, North Korea, Libya, Congo Republic among others.

Meanwhile, the report ranked Nigeria among average-performing police forces under a SATISFACTORY category

Others in the category are Argentina, Bahamas, Bahrain, Cuba, Kenya, Morocco Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and the United Arab Emirates among others.

On corruption, The FactCheckHub could not find a recent credible research or survey with verifiable methodology indicating that the Nigeria Police Force is ranked the most corrupt in the world.

THE VERDICT

The claim by Parallel Facts that the Nigeria Police Force is the worst and most corrupt globally is MISLEADING; findings show that the publication relied on data published about seven years ago.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Since This Administration Came Into Power,electricity Distribution Has Been Very / I’m A Man, Bobrisky Confesses In Court. Man Exposes Bobrisky, He Didn't Cut His / New Deal In Oil Business: A Great Experience Africa Can Learn From.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.