Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,172 members, 7,953,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:26 PM

"The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba (1516 Views)

Idris Elba Wins SAG Award For Uzodinma Iweala's Movie, Beasts Of Nation / Genevieve Nnaji With Idris Elba At Beasts Of No Nation Lagos Premiere(photos) / Obasanjo Cannot Be Celebrated Because He's A Thief -idris Abdulkarm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by anonymous6(f): 11:37pm On Nov 10, 2011
"On Thursday 24 February actor Idris Elba was the featured speaker for the Lens Project’s Artist Spotlight series, held at Rutgers University, New Jersey. During the event, which was hosted by Ms. Baraka Sele, the Assistant Vice President of Programming of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Idris discussed a range of topics such as his upbringing as an only child in East London and why he chose to be an actor, as well as current state of black cinema in Hollywood.

Speaking on his thoughts on the recent Golden Globes and this year’s Oscar Awards, Idris had this to say:"

"“Halle Berry​ and I were the only two black actors nominated for this year’s Golden Globes (Idris for Luther and Halle for Frankie & Alice). The Oscars aren’t designed for us…let’s focus on making more films.”"

"When asked about his opinions on the friction between director/actors Spike Lee​ and Tyler Perry​, which initially began in 2009 when Spike insinuated that Tyler Perry’s films/TV shows were acts of “Coonery Buffoonery”, Idris stated the following:"

"“Can I​ be candid?… I don’t like all of Tyler Perry’s films. Yes, I did work with Tyler for “Daddy’s Little Girls” because it portrayed a positive image of a black father. I am happy for Tyler’s success…we need Tyler Perry…by going to support his movies, we need to show economic strength. But we are also responsible for elevating film. I’m not with buffoonish characters like Madea or Big Momma​.”"
http://www.soulculture.co.uk/blogs/idris-elba-on-the-state-of-black-hollywood-%E2%80%9Cthe-oscars-aren%E2%80%99t-designed-for-us/

Idris Elba
[img]http://amarieadhis.files./2011/04/idris-elba.jpg[/img]
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by BoOOosHBoy: 12:30pm On Nov 11, 2011
Thats oscar for you
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by iice(f): 3:55am On Nov 12, 2011
Haven't seen anything that spectacular from him. Most people are just concerned with his 'hotness', not his talent. But atleast he understands that we have to elevate and not stick to certain things.
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by anonymous6(f): 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2011
iice:

Haven't seen anything that spectacular from him. Most people are just concerned with his 'hotness', not his talent. But atleast he understands that we have to elevate and not stick to certain things.

lol, I agree
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by lucabrasi(m): 12:16am On Nov 13, 2011
iice:

@the bolded pls speak for yourself i am a fan of his and i and others truly believe he is one of the most talented artistes to have come out of the uk.this view has been endorsed by his phenomenal success in the states.after all he is not the only "hot dude"in the uk or america
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 13, 2011
Spike lee always stir s#hit with everybody, he is better off at the nicks game court side, he is jealous of Tyler ofcourse, madea and delikes are just comedy, what about who did i get married & too, meet the browns series on peachtree tv,and he co directed that movie that got nominated and got the best actress last year i think (that chubby girl, and Mariah carey, i forgot the title), Idris stop hating brova cool
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by iice(f): 5:48am On Nov 13, 2011
lucabrasi:

@the bolded pls speak for yourself i am a fan of his and i and others truly believe he is one of the most talented artistes to have come out of the uk.this view has been endorsed by his phenomenal success in the states.after all he is not the only "hot dude"in the uk or america

grin grin Missed your dose?

I was speaking for myself and most women.  Unless you're on the DL.  BTW who said only one person can be hot? undecided
Phenomenal success? Uhuh.  Ok grin
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by lucabrasi(m): 12:05pm On Nov 13, 2011
iice:

grin grin Missed your dose?
sorry i didn't realise you were on some medication,do accept my condolence
iice:

I was speaking for myself and most women.  Unless you're on the DL.  BTW who said only one person can be hot? undecided
Phenomenal success? Uhuh.  Ok grin
didn't realise you were on about women,and btw all i did was help you to clarify your comments rather than generalising it.though we are referring to a specific person here??
success is relative so maybe he isn't a success or a phenomenal success in your own estimation until he wins 10 oscars.how many black actors are that successful in the united states from uk?
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by iice(f): 3:01pm On Nov 13, 2011
lucabrasi:

sorry i didn't realise you were on some medication,do accept my condolence
No condolences necessary but maybe that's relative grin

lucabrasi:

success is relative so maybe he isn't a success or a phenomenal success in your own estimation until he wins 10 oscars.how many black actors are that successful in the united states from uk?
I don't need him to win an oscar. Not as if Don Cheadle has won one and we all know he's a darn good actor. Yes, success is relative.
How many are there from the uk sef? undecided
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by Kunbee: 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2011
Black people and their stupidity

Not everything is around you
Re: "The Oscars Aren't Designed For Us" - Idris Elba by lucabrasi(m): 10:39pm On Nov 13, 2011
iice:

How many are there from the uk sef? undecided [/color]
exactly my point,the fact that he was able to overcome the discrimination artistes of colour face in the uk,go to the states and then achieve success there says a lot about his acting abilities.if hotness was the yardstick for his success then I'm sure there are more than enough in the usa 1 million times better than him.people like chiwetel ejiofor and this dude that was in blood diamond and i think east enders tried but they didn't achieve elba's level of success at least so far so in my book i believe the guy has earned his pips

(1) (Reply)

Chris Brown Again!!!!! Who Is He Kissing This Time???????????????// / Cossy Orjiakor Is HIV Positive? (MUST READ) / Photo-tonto Dikeh & Iyanya Kukere Concert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.