Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment (20499 Views)

Customs Reduces Exchange Rate For Import Duties Payment / NNPCL Pegs Ex-Depot Price At ₦479.50 Per Litre / APC Pegs 2023 Presidential Nomination Form At ₦100m, Announce Primaries Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by treesun: 10:14pm On Feb 23
The Central Bank of Nigeria has pegged the duty rates to be paid by importers to the Nigerian Customs Services during goods clearance.

This was as the bank instructed the Customs to utilise the FX closing rate on the date of the ‘Form M’ submission by importers for the clearance of goods and import duty assessment.

The CBN stated this in a circular signed by its Director of Trade and Exchange Department, Hassan Mahmud, and posted on its website on Friday.

Form M is a mandatory statutory document used as a declaration of intention by importers for the importation of physical goods into Nigeria.

This measure aims to tackle the volatility and frequent updates on the customs website concerning the liberalisation of the foreign exchange market.

Recently, the Nigeria Customs Service through the CBN has been regularly reviewing and adjusting the exchange rate for import duties and clearance of goods on its website to reflect the prevailing market rate following the unification of the forex market in June.

Since the beginning of this year, the service has adjusted the forex rate almost twice weekly.

The last adjustment of the exchange rate by Customs saw the rate move upwards from N1537.07 to N1605.82 per USD.

In response to the complaints from members of the public and the business community, the Comptroller-General of the NCS stated during an interview that the service does not fix the exchange rate rather they follow the directive of the CBN on such matters.

The circular read, “To this effect, the Central Bank of Nigeria wishes to advise the Nigeria Customs Service and other related parties to adopt the FX rate on the date of opening the Form M for importation of goods, as the FX rate to be used for import duty assessment. This rate remains valid until the date of termination of the importation and clearance of goods by the importers.

“This would enable the Nigeria Customs Service and the importers to effectively plan appropriately and reduce uncertainties around varying exchange rates in determining revenue, or cost structure respectively.

“Therefore, effective 26th February 2024, the closing rate on the date of opening of Form M for importation of goods and services would be the rate that would apply for assessment of goods and services. This supersedes the requirement of Memorandum 9, J (2) of the Central Bank of Nigeria Foreign Exchange Manual (Revised Edition) 2018.

While the CBN is mindful of the initial volatility and price distortions in the aftermath of the FX market liberalization, the Bank is confident that these reforms, would in the medium term, ensure stability in the market and entrench market confidence necessary to attract investment capital for the growth and development of the Nigerian economy.”

The Central Bank of Nigeria in June 2023 unified the foreign exchange market in a move geared towards floating the market. Since then, the naira has lost over 100 per cent of its value on the official window.

The weakness of the naira coupled with other fiscal policy initiatives like the removal of fuel subsidy pushed inflation to a 28-year high as of January at 29.90 per cent.

The inflation is mainly driven by food and transport with the former’s inflation rate at 35.4 per cent in January.

https://punchng.com/cbn-pegs-rate-for-import-duty-payment/

5 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by successmatters(m): 10:15pm On Feb 23
Pegging everything in a capitalist economy is just plain old rubbish. But who is surprised? When people who learnt how to cut and mix quantities of 'coke' are trying their lucks on an economy, it will be like when a quack roadside mechanic is doing an open heart surgery on a live human patient. grin

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Kaycee9242(m): 10:18pm On Feb 23
Trial and error government

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 10:30pm On Feb 23
Fair consideration from CBN, it reduces the panics of the importers.
-kiss the truth!

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by treesun: 10:30pm On Feb 23
Nlfpmod, Tinubu and APC are bereaved of ideas on how to solve Nigeria problems!

9 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Zooposki(f): 10:43pm On Feb 23
These people are really taking suggestions from Nairaland or Peter Obi. Wow!!!! Someone here made a suggestion a couple of days back to peg the rate.

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by psucc(m): 10:53pm On Feb 23
Why regulate a deregulated market. They supposed allow the naira find it's level with dollar by March, 2024, we would have to be talking about N3000/$

6 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:00pm On Feb 23
treesun:
Nlfmod, Tinubu and APC are bereaved of ideas on how to solve Nigeria problems!
Olodo, you went and bring a news but you can't read to get a proper understanding of it. Bunch of half baked graduates

-kiss the truth!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by gaby(m): 11:00pm On Feb 23
They came up with a policy to allow the dollar to float and fly like a BAT and now pegging it in one corner.

What is the meaning of confusion again?

Nigerians don't even understand what is going on yet, and what is to come.

By June and upwards, everybody go understand.

The 10k rice no go dey again by then.

So, for instance, if I opened a form "M" at #2000 to a $ and the rates drops to #1000 by the time my form is processed, I'll still be charged at the initial #2k.

Tell me you all are stupid without even saying it.

Mad dull and confused people.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Sheuns(m): 11:03pm On Feb 23
Why is the custom’s charging import duty in USD? If it is charged in Naira there wouldn’t be a need to adjust and readjust exchange rates.

Peg import duties in Naira and let importers seek Naira to pay. Not changing exchange rate all the time.

Other countries I know of charge import duties in their local currencies and not pegging exchange rate at USD.

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:05pm On Feb 23
psucc:
Why regulate a deregulated market. They supposed allow the naira find it's level with dollar by March, 2024, we would have to be talking about N3000/$
Is this what the report you read above talks about?. And you're one of those insulting those in power, it's a shame.

-kiss the truth!

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Creamypie(m): 11:06pm On Feb 23
Them don see peter obi suggestion. Drunkards

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:10pm On Feb 23
gaby:
They came up with a policy to allow the dollar to float and fly like a BAT and now pegging it in one corner.

What is the meaning of confusion again?

Nigerians don't even understand what is going on yet, and what is to come.

By June and upwards, everybody go understand.

The 10k rice no go dey again by then.
Where do you see pegging?. I love this thread, it is exposing people with low reasoning capacity.

-kiss the truth!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:17pm On Feb 23
Creamypie:
Them don see peter obi suggestion. Drunkards
Obi suggestion from where?. This forum needs age restriction, unintelligent people are demarketing this forum.

-kiss the truth!

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by gaby(m): 11:19pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:

Where do you see pegging?. I love this thread, it is exposing people with low capacity.

-kiss the truth!

Oh, hold on..I need to grab my glasses to check the title of the thread.

Ekpa.

The likes of you are the retards pretending to be monetary policy makers.

Una dey dance around in circles with no direction.

Turnionion..

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by gaby(m): 11:21pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:

Where do you see pegging?. I love this thread, it is exposing people with low capacity.

-kiss the truth!

I've always read on here that you lots supporting the charade of an administration are empty loafs but never believed it until now.

Una brain dey una butthole for real.

Tueeeh

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by gaby(m): 11:23pm On Feb 23
Sheuns:
Why is the custom’s charging import duty in USD? If it is charged in Naira there wouldn’t be a need to adjust and readjust exchange rates.

Peg import duties in Naira and let importers seek Naira to pay. Not changing exchange rate all the time.

Other countries I know of charge import duties in their local currencies and not pegging exchange rate at USD.

This is how they intend to cure the Dollar craze.

Mad people everywhere...

Dem carry lighter and matches give madmen to guard petrol depot.

Craze people in power...

Senseless oafs still clutching at straws over madness decoyed as policies.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by slivertongue: 11:23pm On Feb 23
treesun:
Nlfpmod, Tinubu and APC are bereaved of ideas on how to solve Nigeria problems!

APC is a crime watch

2 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Crimecity: 11:26pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:

Obi suggestion from where?. This forum needs age restriction, unintelligent people are demarketing this forum.

-kiss the truth!

Kiss the truth this time.

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:26pm On Feb 23
gaby:

Oh, hold on..I need to grab my glasses to check the title of the thread.

Ekpa.

The likes of you are the retards pretending to be monetary policy makers.

Una dey dance around in circles with no direction.

Turnionion..
Ok, you're one of those dullards that do often react to headlines without reading the body of the article. Your type are many here.

-kiss the truth!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:32pm On Feb 23
Crimecity:

Kiss the truth this time.
I knew one dullard would quote the statement of the chief dullard. From the article above, can you show me anywhere the CBN stated that custom duty would no longer be increased?. You think the CBN gives a rat ass about the opinion of a chief importer, one of those killing the naira.

-kiss the truth!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by gaby(m): 11:33pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:

Ok, you're one of those dullards that do often react to headlines without reading the body of the article. Your type are many here.

-kiss the truth!

Empty skull.

Nothing is left on the right side of your hollowed cranium.

Dullards hired for propaganda they can't correctly propagate.

This moronn doesn't even understand the wordings of the topic he created.

What a gang?. Tueehhh

Asswipes.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:43pm On Feb 23
gaby:

Empty skull.

Nothing is left on the right side of your hollowed cranium.

Dullards hired for propaganda they can't correctly propagate.

Asswipes.
Aside insults, what else do you have in that small head full of Obi's urine?

-kiss the truth!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by a4cube: 11:46pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:
Fair consideration from CBN, it reduces the panics of the importers.

-kiss the truth!

Cardozo is favouring the Igbos.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Crimecity: 11:51pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:

I knew one dullard would quote the statement of the chief dullard. From the article above, can you show me anywhere the CBN stated that custom duty would no longer be increased?. You think the CBN gives a rat ass about the opinion of a chief importer, one of those killing the naira.

-kiss the truth!

Blindness ontop stewpïdity na double wahala for dead body

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 11:51pm On Feb 23
a4cube:
Cardozo is favouring the Igbos.
That's not what the article says, your opinion is the imagination of your low grade mind.

-kiss the truth!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Crimecity: 11:56pm On Feb 23
TimeManager:

That's not what the article says, your opinion is the imagination of your low grade mind.

-kiss the truth!

I thought they're the ones killing the economy with plenty plenty importation of fake Gucci, fake drugs, fake weavon?
What changed?

Finger the truth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Hoelujohn: 12:01am On Feb 24
psucc:
With the way it was going, it would have gotten to 5k by now,. Before the March you said, it would have gotten to 50k

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by TimeManager(m): 12:06am On Feb 24
Crimecity:

I thought they're the ones killing the economy with plenty plenty importation of fake Gucci, fake drugs, fake weavon?
What changed?

Finger the truth
You have so much destroyed the the economy through importation of junks that you forgot those bringing in machineries and raw materials for infrastructure are also called importers.

-kiss the truth!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Splashme: 12:42am On Feb 24
Great Peter Obi

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Yankee101: 12:47am On Feb 24
As long as your import duty rate keeps going up you’re continuously devaluing the naira

If you don’t know what to do just learn from history and see what was done in the past that has worked

Sending 3 circulars about duty payments in just 2 weeks is a gross act of incompetence and extremely bad for business due to lack of predictability

8 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Rate For Import Duty Payment by Crimecity: 1:05am On Feb 24
TimeManager:

You have so much destroyed the the economy through importation of junks that you forgot those bringing in machineries and raw materials for infrastructure are also called importers. Those we called the industrialists, not the other ones littered on the side of the streets.

-kiss the truth!

This new policy will now favour Igbos more then.

Finger the truth!

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Spokesman "Abu Qaqa" Arrested In Kano / 12 Political Parties Pledge Allegiance To APC / Osinbajo Promises Full Academic Take-Off Of Nigerian Maritime University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.