Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,252 members, 7,815,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now (220 Views)

FG Approves Salary Increase For Civil Servants. / RMAFC Approves 114% Salary Increase For Tinubu, Shettima, Govs, Others / Osinbajo: All Tiers Of Government Must Be Open-minded, Collaborative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 3:07pm On Feb 24
This time of hardship, government at all tiers should ban house rent increase for now as means of easing off the series of hardship in the masses .

It is important that all rents should be left as it is till further notice.

FG should encourage all governors to enforce this

Cc. Seun.
Nlfpmod

Pls move to front page .

All hands must be on deck at this time of hardship so our people won't perish for nothing
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by Hedonisco: 3:13pm On Feb 24
I think it is quite heartless and unreasonable for rents to go up at this time, especially non-upscale residential apartments.

Owning a house built 20 years ago is not a business or vocation in itself, so you can't arbitrarily 'adjust' prices to reflect new galloping inflationary trends. Cost of utilities, security, maintenance, etc can go up to match the inflation, agreed. But the rent shouldn't rise astronomically.

I know of some houses where the annual rent of a single flat is nominally more than double the amount spent to acquire the land and build the entire house with its multiple blocks of flats years ago.

2 Likes

Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 3:57pm On Feb 24
Hedonisco:
I think it is quite heartless and unreasonable for rents to go up at this time, especially non-upscale residential apartments.

Owning a house built 20 years ago is not a business or vocation in itself, so you can't arbitrarily 'adjust' prices to reflect new galloping inflationary trends. Cost of utilities, security, maintenance, etc can go up to match the inflation, agreed. But the rent shouldn't rise astronomically.

I know of some houses where the annual rent of a single flat is nominally more than double the amount spent to acquire the land and build the entire house with its multiple blocks of flats years ago.

I'm telling you.

Heartlessness people everywhere.
People are dying of hunger and u see house rents being increased daily.

What's even going on in Nigeria?!!

It's only in Nigeria u will see economic meltdown and u will see property n rent going up .

Government should caution this greedy fellows

1 Like

Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:00pm On Feb 24
You see some landlords increasing rents yearly like it's ritual.

Government should make it compulsory that any house that was not built within a year ago shouldn't increase rent till next 5 years .
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by naptu2: 4:01pm On Feb 24
Just as cost of living has gone up for tenants, so also has cost of living gone up for landlords. How then do you want landlords to survive?

3 Likes

Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:02pm On Feb 24
You will see houses built over a decade ago with yearly rent increase as of it's a yearly ritual.

FG should caution this trend at this hardship time .
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:02pm On Feb 24
Even senate should look into it.

It's adding more hardship to our people
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:03pm On Feb 24
I'm yet to see the effectiveness of the first lady in reaching out to the Nigeria masses especially at yhis challenging time
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24
Mine was increased few weeks back and I didn't feel bad about it at all... I understand that the price of things have increased, so for a landlord that is majorly dependent on his rents, where him wan see money take balance the increase in price of goods and services

It's not their fault... They don't have a special market where they buy things at a cheaper rate, so the increasing cost of things is also affecting them, hence the increase in rent
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by plessis: 4:06pm On Feb 24
So, everybody should Increase their prices except landlord?

3 Likes

Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:11pm On Feb 24
Yampotatocarrot:
Mine was increased few weeks back and I didn't feel bad about it at all... I understand that the price of things have increased, so for a landlord that is majorly dependent on his rents, where him wan see money take balance the increase in price of goods and services

It's not their fault... They don't have a special market where they buy things at a cheaper rate, so the increasing cost of things is also affecting them, hence the increase in rent
It's only wickedness that will make cement manufacturing companies increase their prices at this time of hardship because all materials needed for cement production are gotten locally n the FG had a stakeholders meeting with them and u saw how the price was reset back.

Those labdlords v businesses or work on places the get paid .

Houses built over two years ago v no business with rent increase especially this period of hardship.

People never see food chop n u dey increase rent with over 50% most times.

It's pure wickedness and nothing more.

FG, Governors must lookinyo all these wickedness.

It's only in Nigeria u see economic meltdown n rents n properties will be on the rise .

Cc.
Seun.

Nlfpmod pls send to go for wider reach ..

Our people are dying
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:13pm On Feb 24
plessis:
If the landlord built the house within a year ago but if not, why increase it

In this economic hardship?!??

Why not wait until this tribunation is over!!
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:14pm On Feb 24
plessis:

It's simply heartlessness and taking advantage
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by plessis: 4:16pm On Feb 24
peleson1:

The landlord is not responsible for the economic hardship.
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by FourQu: 4:16pm On Feb 24
Igbo landlords in lagos should as a matter of fact increase their rent by 50% cool

We can blame it on the emilocorn effect and nobody will question you any further wink

On his mandate

1 Like

Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by yesloaded: 4:17pm On Feb 24
peleson1:
This time of hardship, government at all tiers should ban house rent increase for now as means of easing off the series of hardship in the masses .

It is important that all rents should be left as it is till further notice.

FG should encourage all governors to enforce this

Cc. Seun.
Nlfpmod

Pls move to front page .

All hands must be on deck at this time of hardship so our people won't perish for nothing

Well said but tell FG to stop cement manufacturers to revert cement retail price to 5k with immediate effect

Tell FG to revert dollar exchange rate to 760/$ at black market with immediate effect

You think landlords increase rent fee anyhow?

There's no way you will not renovate a house after 5yrs if not for anything, you have to repaint it

Don't forget, not every house has Gerrard roofing sheet, zinc roofing sheet will need some replacement after 5yrs and the cost has gone up

Tiles do wear, even if you don use tiles and you just plaster the floor with cement, it will get spoilt at some point

What of someone who built his house as his own investment, and prices of foodstuff now triple?

I am not saying landlord should increase house rent unnecessarily but trust me rent fee will definitely be increased
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by nabiz(m): 4:42pm On Feb 24
Why are we like this. Nigeria is a capitalist nation. I am also a tenant but you guy should allow the law of demand and supply to work. What you also tell the government to do about the current cost of building materials
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:50pm On Feb 24
nabiz:
Why are we like this. Nigeria is a capitalist nation. I am also a tenant but you guy should allow the law of demand and supply to work. What you also tell the government to do about the current cost of building materials
Over 70% of building materials are sourced locally.
So y the increase?
To tell u that lots of these people are just taking advantage.
It's greed .

They r pushing more people into hardship.

As a matter of fact, no sane landlord should increase rent qt this time .
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by peleson1: 4:50pm On Feb 24
nabiz:
Over 70% of building materials are sourced locally.
So y the increase?
To tell u that lots of these people are just taking advantage.
It's greed .

They r pushing more people into hardship.

As a matter of fact, no sane landlord should increase rent qt this time ...
Re: Government At All Tiers Should Ban Rent Increase For Now by jmoore(m): 4:53pm On Feb 24
Witch!
Inflation hits everything.
Na the same garri and rice wey add money your landlord go chop.

(1) (Reply)

Two Years Of War For Russia Has Plunged The Country Ever Deeper Into Darkness / Tinubu, Matter Don Pass Be Careful / Sunday Igboho Blasts BUHARI Says He & His Family Will Die Mysteriously

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.