Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance (1847 Views)

Drivers Not Installing. Need Your Assistance / My Laptop Is Not Coming On. I Need Ur Assistance Pls. / Computer Scientist In Need Of Assistance. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by noel76(m): 10:05am On Sep 19, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my laptop an Hp pavillion dv5250, which is about 3 months oid is displaying the following message when swicthed on:"SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 2:ST9120821AS-(S1).\
WARNING: IMMEDIATELY BACK UP DATA & REPLACE YOUR HARD DRIVE. A FAILURE MAY BE IMMINENT.
i have format and scan the disk still have same error message.Please is there any one in the house who can help with this problem
please reply is needed urgently.
thanks
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by uche4nna(m): 10:12am On Sep 19, 2007
if you are in lagos come to computer village call 07030696409 or come to no 13 ola-yeni st ikeja computer village, i will help you fix your laptop for a reasonable prise
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by Ralvy(m): 10:56am On Sep 19, 2007
@uchenna;

Please Stop Spamming the forum angry angry

@poster;

I have no doubt that you have a bad HDD, thats it - en it's usually brought on by bad clusters,
Causes may be forcefully shutting down, power failure and others . .

You're HDD needs to be repaired, I would upload an .iso file which ofcourse you have to burn to a blank disc,
The CD is bootable and it is possible for you repair bad HDDs recover all files after formatting and alot more .
The File is around 80MB, hope you can download that, and u need Nero 7.8.5.0 (I recommend), Nero is 100MB or more.
I will post the links when they are ready.
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by Maleeq(m): 11:51am On Sep 19, 2007
@Poster

Would you rather we tell you that your drive can be fixed for a fee? You created a thread earlier where you got responses, and still, this thread was created.

Let me go through what is happening in FULL DETAILS now, maybe you'd see some reason:

Introduction
Hard drives are known to fail at some time due to a lot of factors(physical shock, electrical shock and environmental factors).

In an effort to help users avoid data loss, drive manufacturers are now incorporating logic into their drives that acts as an "early warning system" for pending drive problems. This system is called S[/b]elf-[b]M[/b]onitoring [b]A[/b]nalysis and [b]R[/b]eporting [b]T[/b]echnology ([b]SMART). The hard disk's integrated controller works with various sensors to monitor various aspects of the drive's performance, determines from this information if the drive is behaving normally or not, and makes available status information to software that probes the drive and look at it.

The fundamental principle behind SMART is that many problems with hard disks don't occur suddenly. They result from a slow degradation of various mechanical or electronic components. SMART evolved from a technology developed by IBM called P[/b]redictive [b]F[/b]ailure [b]A[/b]nalysis (PFA).

[b]Drive Failure Types:

PFA divides failures into two categories:
- Predictable Failures
- Unpredictable Failures

Predictable failures occur slowly over time, and often provide clues to their gradual failing that can be detected. An example of such a predictable failure is the spindle motor bearing burnout: this will often occur over a long time, and can be detected by paying attention to how long the drive takes to spin up or down, by monitoring the temperature of the bearings, or by keeping track of how much current the spindle motor uses.

An example of an[b] unpredictable failure[/b] would be the burnout of a chip on the hard disk's logic board: often, this will "just happen" one day. Clearly, these sorts of unpredictable failures cannot be planned for.

Real Deal
Clearly, SMART is a useful tool but not one that is foolproof: it can detect some sorts of problems, but others it has no clue about.
A good analogy for this feature would be to consider it like the warning lights on the dashboard of your car: something to pay attention to, but not to totally rely upon. You should not assume that because SMART generated an alert, there is definitely a drive problem, or conversely, that the lack of an alarm means the drive cannot possibly be having a problem.
It certainly is no replacement for proper hard disk care and maintenance, or routine and current backups.

noel76:

"SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 2:ST9120821AS-(S1).\
WARNING: IMMEDIATELY BACK UP DATA & REPLACE YOUR HARD DRIVE. A FAILURE MAY BE IMMINENT.
Read the area in bold marks: Keyword there is "MAY . Remember, in your other thread, I told you getting that message is not a final say that your drive is gonna crash!

I have a colleague that has been getting thesame message since last year and still is waiting for the"supposed" imminent failure.

So, if the message bothers you so much, two things you can do:
- Go into the BIOS and switch off the S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring tool.
- Get a new harddisk.

Besides that, there's probably no escaping the message. . .for life
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by Ralvy(m): 12:53pm On Sep 19, 2007
@maleeq;

Omo, Na Note you comeput for here , . .
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by uche4nna(m): 1:01pm On Sep 19, 2007
what do you mean by spam,one cannot repire a laptop without seing it,and it cant be done 4 free,so watch your language
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by Maleeq(m): 1:11pm On Sep 19, 2007
@Ralvy

No mind me jo! It seems I had a lot of free time on my hand.

Not until you mentioned it, I did not know its that long.

P.S: Someone say make u watch your language 4 here o!
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by noel76(m): 11:59am On Sep 20, 2007
@Maleeq, thank mu so much 4 reply.
1 luv.
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by Kobojunkie: 12:56pm On Sep 20, 2007
This is one of the MANY REASONS why it is good to get a BRAND NEW SYSTEM FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE. If you had a new system you would have been easily able to contact the manufacturer to get the problem fixed. You can Try this link to see if this helps

http://www.notebookforums.com/archive/index.php/t-171552.html

KoboJunkie
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by oybv101: 1:58pm On Sep 21, 2007
if you go through the notebook reviews on notebook forums, what you'll often find is peeps swearing for the so called customer care.and thats in the west.In naija, if you're not a corporate customer don't expect anything!

@ poster-Maleeq has said it all.I also think it may be a flaw in HPs proprietary monitoring software, because a colleague's HP had the exact same problem.our IT guys did everything to it, but it just kept coming.

what you may consider doing is buying an external hard drive(USB) and getting hold of cobian backup(its a free backup application-just google 'cobian')

you can configure cobian to backup any files of your choice to your external hard drive.

considering the state of crime in naija, its a MUST DO thing.keep an external hard drive and regularly back up your data.My boss' laptop was stolen over the weekend, and the man was not himself for three days . My windows XP crashed on tuesday(thats what deploying cracks will do to you cry ), and i was not myself until i reinstalled . Fortunately all my application insllation fiiles are backed up to my external HDD.
Re: Still Very Much In Need Of Assistance by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Sep 23, 2007
The idea of going through the notebook forum site is to help you find other people who may have experienced the same thing as you have and basically you can follow the solutions posted that worked for them and try those yourself. I am sure there is a lot of junk stuff there but if you search or at least google for a while, you might find quick solutions for your situation instead of running out to buy this and that without really knowing what is exactly wrong with your notebook. That will save you a whole lot of money too.

Kobojunkie

(1) (Reply)

USA Used HP Elitebook 8440p, Fast Intel Core I7 2.8ghz + Dedcatd Graphx-- / HTPC Build - 2013 / Lenovo G40-30 Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.