Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,264 members, 7,829,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount (1899 Views)

Bandits Impose β‚¦β€Ž2Million Levy On Zamfara Communities, 200k At Each Polling Unit / Unemployment: FG Goes Tough On Expatriate Quota Abusers / Sanwo-Olu Suspends Bamidele Balogun For Imposing 5% Levy On Digital Platforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Ibrahimcoomasie: 9:06pm On Feb 28
Nigeria has imposed a mandatory annual levy for organisations employing expatriate workers, requiring them to pay $15,000 (Β£12,000) for a director and $10,000 for other employees.

The move is meant to encourage foreign companies to employ more Nigerian workers. Staff of diplomatic missions and government officials are exempt.

President Bola Tinubu has warned that the levy should not be used to frustrate potential investors.
He spoke while launching the Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) handbook on Tuesday, adding that the government was expecting to improve revenue and indigenisation.

He said that its aim was to balance employment opportunities between Nigerians and expatriates. "The goal is to close wage gaps between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force while increasing employment opportunities for qualified Nigerians in foreign companies in the country," he said.
There are more than 150,000 expatriates in Nigeria, according to local media citing data from the interior ministry.

They mostly work in the oil and gas, construction, telecommunication and hospitality sectors. Nigeria is one of Africa's biggest oil producers. Its oil and gas exports account for 90% of foreign exchange earnings, according to the International Monetary Fund.

It already costs companies in Nigeria $2,000 a year to obtain a residency permit for each foreign employee.
The move comes as Nigeria is experiencing its worst economic crisis in a generation, which has led to widespread hardship and anger in recent months.
Labour unions and government workers on Tuesday held demonstrations to protest against economic hardships.

Mr Tinubu acknowledged that Nigerians were going through a difficult period. He said efforts were being made to improve the country's finances and grow the economy. The levy applies to employees who work for at least 183 days in a year.

The scheme imposes fines of up three years and jail terms of up to five years for a person or organisations that do not comply, including failure to provide accurate information.

The Nigerian Immigration Service will be responsible for enforcing the levy.Local media quoted Interior Minister Olubunmi Tunji-Oj as saying that it would be operated on a public-private partnership model between the government, the immigration service and a private firm.

Nigerian economist Abubakar Abdullahi says the levy is good for the country and won't frustrate potential investors as "they'll love to see the country grow as well"."I believe Nigeria stands to benefit from this levy as more companies will start looking inwards as there are qualified Nigerians from all sectors," he says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68421359

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Ola9ja23: 9:06pm On Feb 28
What a perfect decision

This policy will enhance the rate of employment opportunities in Nigeria

My company hires Indians in almost all major positions and Nigerians are working under them like slaves

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by immortalcrown(m): 9:07pm On Feb 28
This idea is very good. The countries of those white people do the same thing to foreigners through taxation.

But there are two problems here:

The amount is small.

Will the money, when paid, be prudently managed by the government?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by olamieseun(m): 9:11pm On Feb 28
Nice move Mr.president

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Godoverevery: 9:18pm On Feb 28
Kudos.

Dangote go pay tire......all those Indians he keeps employing this one go choke am.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Raskimonojendor: 9:18pm On Feb 28
Ola9ja23:
What a perfect decision

My company hires Indians in almost all major positions and Nigerians are working under them like slaves

And those thousands of Chinese that are labourers in their own country but are given leadership positions all over Nigeria. They run 100s if not thousands of factories and construction companies like CCECC. They employ their people for job that could be done ordinarily by a Nigerian.

Also those rich Nigerians hiring Filipino nannies all over. This will hit them too.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Raskimonojendor: 9:21pm On Feb 28
Godoverevery:
Kudos.

Dangote go pay tire......all those Indians he keeps employing this one go choke am.

They will be forced to look at Nigerian universities and university of technology (former polytechnics). They will be forced to funder, sponsor and hire Nigerians.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by flokii: 9:21pm On Feb 28
This will checkmate Indians, Chinese and Lebanese especially that have turned Nigeria to their abode, shipping their people into the country anyhow.
Dangote go pay plenty money with the huge number of foreigners working across his process plants.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by flokii: 9:29pm On Feb 28
Godoverevery:
Kudos.

The Dangote man just dey one kind.. he's busy employing indians while Nigerians are there jobless, only vacancy he gave out was for truck drivers that PhD holders were jostling for.

Nigeria shall rise again.

Kudos to our amiable Minister of Interior on this one.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by godofuck231: 9:29pm On Feb 28
APC and tax levy , u warned on this platform that people will pay for air they breathe in nigeria when tinubu comes, agero and owo da
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by OfficialAPCNig: 9:37pm On Feb 28
Tinubu rushes into making decisions without thinking it through.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Asswipemod: 9:41pm On Feb 28
OfficialAPCNig:

I wish I could set my eyes on you. I just want to check something.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by OfficialAPCNig: 9:46pm On Feb 28
Asswipemod:

I wish I could set my eyes on you. I just want to check something.
I dey Lagos.

You need compass?
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by ivolt: 9:47pm On Feb 28
I am seeing dollars up there.
Have we started spending dollars in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Asswipemod: 10:07pm On Feb 28
OfficialAPCNig:

I dey Lagos.

You need compass?

Yeah, give me your coordinates.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by OfficialAPCNig: 10:55pm On Feb 28
Asswipemod:

Yeah, give me your coordinates.
Mugu can you read a coordinate

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Paraman: 11:04pm On Feb 28
ivolt:
I am seeing dollars up there.
Have we started spending dollars in Nigeria?
A lot of expatriates are paid in dollars

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by LordIsaac(m): 11:49pm On Feb 28
Baby steps pro max. I like these acts…only a Jagaban can pull such off to the chargin of the Northern Oligarchs who benefit from expatriates.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by pquaver(m): 12:05am On Feb 29
flokii:

The Dangote man just dey one kind.. he's busy employing indians while Nigerians are there jobless, only vacancy he gave out was for truck drivers that PhD holders were jostling for.

Nigeria shall rise again.

Kudos to our amiable Minister of Interior on this one.

Na him gan gan FG pit the law for... Nigeria help u build refinery finish u wan renegade on the CSR.. He go pay tire... Tinubu sabi use tax hold blokos

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by skj1377(m): 12:37am On Feb 29
They should increase it to $50,000 per expatriate annually.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by FreeStuffsNG: 1:02am On Feb 29
Ola9ja23:
What a perfect decision

Whenever I read this, I sense inferiority complex. Most of those guys have a great work ethic and stamina. I have learnt from working with them that once you are more qualified than them, more knowledgeable than them and you have a tremendous work ethic/ stamina, they will defer to you.

Just beat them hands down with knowledge, experience and great work ethic. Work until they are tired and they beg you to stop or they are forced to do catch up with you. If you miss on any of these 3, you are not regarded. Never ever allow an Indian outwork or out-smart you, not even on their own turf let alone here in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by AllTheWayUp: 1:13am On Feb 29
Nigeria has imposed a mandatory annual levy for organisations employing expatriate workers, requiring them to pay $15,000 (Β£12,000) for a director and $10,000 for other employees
Apart from Tinubu being bereft of ideas, clueless and confused on how to revamp and stimulate the Nigerian economy, he has also comfortably surrounded himself with the most foolish and clueless sets of political and economic advisers that Nigeria has ever experienced.
Other countries where we have tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands Nigerians immigrants working there will immediately also reciprocate the same gesture to only Nigerian immigrants working in their countries.
Imagine other countries where we have thousands of Nigerians working like UK, Canada, United
States, South Africa, Ghana, India, China, Ireland, Italy, France,Japan, Australia, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Benin Republic, even Niger Republic and other countries asking just only Nigerian workers working in their Countries to also pay $10,000 annually as a retaliation to this same policy Tinubu started.
Nobody should start screaming
racism, xenophobia, injustice or victimization when these
countries implement their own retaliatory policy by segregating
Just only Nigerians workers in their own countries to also start paying $10,000 annually as reciprocation of same policy to their own citizens working in Nigeria by the Nigerian Government.
This policy will also strain Nigerian diplomatic and economic relationships with affected countries.
Several of the countries that their citizens will be affected are countries that Nigerian Government go to beg for loan every year, affected countries are also big trading partners to Nigeria and some are the biggest export markets for Nigeria agricultural products.
Do me i do , man no go vex.
Tinubu thinks he is wise
They don't tell a mad man when rain is falling .
This was the same scenario that played out in Buhari regime, which the United States government also retaliated against Nigerian policy on visa hike to US citizens

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by 9japride(m): 3:17am On Feb 29
Ola9ja23:
What a perfect decision

[color=#006600][/color]

It might be good or bad, The government should be careful not to scare foreign investors. Though, Nigerians should change their characters.
Check out most companies doing very well, they all have foreigners as directors. Just put some Nigerians to head a company, they will completely destroy it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by MrAligator: 4:47am On Feb 29
AllTheWayUp:

Apart from Tinubu being bereft of ideas, clueless and confused on how to revamp and stimulate the Nigerian economy, he has also comfortably surrounded himself with the most foolish and clueless sets of political and economic advisers that Nigeria has ever experienced.
Other countries where we have tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands Nigerians immigrants working there will immediately also reciprocate the same gesture to only Nigerian immigrants working in their countries.
Imagine other countries where we have thousands of Nigerians working like UK, Canada, United
States, South Africa, Ghana, India, China, Ireland, Italy, France,Japan, Australia, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Benin Republic, even Niger Republic and other countries asking just only Nigerian workers working in their Countries to also pay $10,000 annually as a retaliation to this same policy Tinubu started.
Nobody should start screaming
racism, xenophobia, injustice or victimization when these
countries implement their own retaliatory policy by segregating
Just only Nigerians workers in their own countries to also start paying $10,000 annually as reciprocation of same policy to their own citizens working in Nigeria by the Nigerian Government.
This policy will also strain Nigerian diplomatic and economic relationships with affected countries.
Several of the countries that their citizens will be affected are countries that Nigerian Government go to beg for loan every year, affected countries are also big trading partners to Nigeria and some are the biggest export markets for Nigeria agricultural products.
Do me i do , man no go vex.
Tinubu thinks he is wise
They don't tell a mad man when rain is falling .
This was the same scenario that played out in Buhari regime, which the United States government also retaliated against Nigerian policy on visa hike to US citizens

Thank you for this. The only reasonable comment I've seen so far on this thread. It will have a great negative Impact and he'll loose more supporters from Nigerians residing abroad.

The one thing about Tinubu I keep saying is this.... Just note.... He'll get the economy so bad that everyone feels terrible then he'll bring it half way back to how it was before and people will think he has worked and because we forget easily we forget the exact state things were in before he initially came into power.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Asswipemod: 5:02am On Feb 29
OfficialAPCNig:

Mugu can you read a coordinate

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You let me worry about that. Unless you're scared, of course.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by kettykin: 5:09am On Feb 29
Other countries are opening their borders to high skilled labor to build critical sectors of the economy, satanic cohorts are wrecking the economy by denying killed foreign labor through exorbitant taxes from coming into the country. God how long shall this continue with inept policies that are killing the country
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Chinkoalhaji34: 5:16am On Feb 29
Na lie! Tinubu dey always tink of di people. E dey make sense to close di wage gap and employ more Nigerians. E go better for us!
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by Shadomaan7: 5:28am On Feb 29
Great move by Tinubu! Investing in our own people is key to economic growth. Those protesting are obviously Barbarians who dont understand that.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by NOGRUDGES(m): 6:18am On Feb 29
The money too small, he's just being considerate.
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by MICHEALADEX(m): 6:31am On Feb 29
godofuck231:
APC and tax levy , u warned on this platform that people will pay for air they breathe in nigeria when tinubu comes, agero and owo da

Close your mouth bro everything is not politics go and read before you start blasting nonsense.

Even your obi is now eating corn
Re: Nigeria Imposes Annual Levy On Expatriate Workers - Check Out Amount by MICHEALADEX(m): 6:33am On Feb 29
OfficialAPCNig:

Illiterates don't read and if they do, they won't be stupid as you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Questions for President Obasanjo | Allegations of Gross Misconduct / Our Deal With Jonathan, By Igbo Leaders / Beaf: Is There Anything Jonathan Has Done Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.