Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo (14966 Views)

Tinubu’s Supporters Are Punishing Themselves Over Sabinus – Fisayo Soyombo / Obidients Attack Aisha Yesufu, Rinu And Fisayo Soyombo For Questioning Peter Obi / Ajimobi Hasn’t Been Disconnected From Life Support But He's Gone- Fisayo Soyombo (2) (3) (4)

Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by mohbadliveson: 4:14pm On Mar 02
Fisayo Soyombo, an investigative journalist, has alleged that smugglers can bring in all sorts of goods or items into Nigeria as long as they pay bribes to personnel of the customs service.

Soyombo, who is the founder of the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ), said customs officials in Nigeria only intercept and publish names of smugglers who refuse to bribe them or who outsmart them.

Speaking during an interview on ‘Hard Copy’, a Channels Television programme, Soyombo said he had a first-hand experience of the atrocities perpetrated by customs officials when he embedded as a smuggler to bring in bags of rice from Benin Republic in 2022.

“I went into Benin Republic in November 2022, got some bags of rice and brought them to a place called Oja Odan. From Oja Odan, I was supposed to move them to Ilaro but we had to bribe customs,” he said.

“What happened was that I went in like I wanted to smuggle. I had to get smugglers already based in Ilaro and Oja Odan to take me in as part of them.

“Everything that I wrote that the smugglers told me, the smugglers believed they were speaking to a smuggler like them and not a journalist.

“When people say it is hearsay, It is not. It is just like going undercover to join a robbery gang and because you are one of them, they tell you a police commissioner is part of them. You can’t treat such information with scant regard".

“We were waiting for customs to tell us the day to move the bags of rice from Oja Odan to Ilaro and while waiting, I had to leave the country.

“So, there was a wait time because the customs officials who took money from the lead smuggler had not yet given us the all-clear.

“What happens is, if you hear or read it in any newspaper that ‘customs intercepts one million bags of rice’, those are people that did not bribe them.

“Anyone… and I say this with all conviction… anyone can bring in anything into Nigeria if you pay the right people".

“If you read any news that customs seized bags of rice or chicken, those are people that tried to outsmart them. If you bribe the right people in customs, you can bring in anything.

“When I say anything, I mean rice, chicken, turkey, arms, ammunitions, tramadol, guns and motorcycles used by terrorists in the north. These were things that were brought in.”
https://www.thecable.ng/fisayo-soyombo-customs-only-arrests-smugglers-who-refuse-to-pay-bribe

59 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by immortalcrown(m): 4:15pm On Mar 02
Who didn't know it before now?

This one is not caused by APC. It is older than APC.

134 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by jeims: 4:15pm On Mar 02
Our system needs total overhauling

Your Business needs a Professional Logo:

Get a professional Logo or Letterhead for 2k Only

Pay On Delivery

Drop us your Company name for your Logo
https://forms.gle/6fJ12m1SYhavg2Lh9

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Massiveglory: 4:16pm On Mar 02
This is why they want to crush and swallow the obedient movement and peter obi
Systematic rotteness and decay everywhere, from head to toe.

The new obedient Nigeria is desperately needed to pull out our nation from death.

Something will definitely give way else there will be no Nigeria in 2027.

Chief smugguler IBD Dende with Chief grab and run with it and police IGP.

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by reiddecuti: 4:17pm On Mar 02
We know already.

Everything about Nigeria stink of corruption ...

Every other agency dey learn work where custom is.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by bennybuhari: 4:17pm On Mar 02
Is it true a smuggler, IBD Dende was on Tinubu's entourage to Climate change conference?

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by EmekaBlue(m): 4:17pm On Mar 02
Thats true

If you do import you will know better. Even with Custom agent clearing license these uniform criminals will frustrate you when you have a loaded container like say na them borrow you money to buy your items

18 Likes

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by damble: 4:18pm On Mar 02
You are right boy

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Bobloco: 4:18pm On Mar 02
sad

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Anguldi(m): 4:18pm On Mar 02
tongue
Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by mbahdi(m): 4:18pm On Mar 02
There are all desame
Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by crestedaguiyi: 4:19pm On Mar 02
This not news sha
Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by nony43(m): 4:19pm On Mar 02
That true when we used to move goods from Onne to Aba that’s when I knew that the Nigerian customs are deeply corrupt and wicked. You must settle from the port to the gate to the one in Enugu - Ph express .

Now that IBD Dende don cast their Oga with evidence let’s see how the presidency will react to it.

Nigeria CAN NOT work no be swear.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Nbote(m): 4:19pm On Mar 02
It is commone knowledge na

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:20pm On Mar 02
Without trying to water down the investigation, in the video, he claimed to successfully smuggle about 100bags into Nigeria, abeg, did he sell the bags? How much did he sell it, at foreign rice price?

He must be a big boy by now

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by b3llo(m): 4:20pm On Mar 02
Yeah... You can get away with anything in Nigeria once you know the right people to pay. That is why we can never get it right!

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by money121(m): 4:21pm On Mar 02
No cap

Na dem wife dey sell rice

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by MEGAWATCH: 4:21pm On Mar 02
I like what is happening in NIGERIA,

We have decieved ourselves a lot even when we all knew that NIGERIA will never work but we keep deceiving ourselves like little kids.

No country in the world works like NIGERIA.

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by nony43(m): 4:21pm On Mar 02
bennybuhari:
Is it true a smuggler, IBD Dende was on Tinubu's entourage to Climate change conference?

Two criminals.

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by TheNobleProphet: 4:22pm On Mar 02
This is a serious National Security breach!

The report should be treated with extreme seriousness and those Customs officials found culpable should be prosecuted and punished with harsh jail terms to serve as deterrence to other criminals in the system no matter how highly placed!

Big kudos to Fisayo!

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by EyeCumInPiece: 4:23pm On Mar 02
Nigeria is one huge crime scene.

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Olalekanbanky1(m): 4:23pm On Mar 02
This is sad…. But not surprised tho

This place is called Nigeria

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by aceman88(m): 4:26pm On Mar 02
All rotten, from head to toe, hopelessly and irredeemably lost. Never can the situation be salvaged or ameliorated. It can only go from bad to worse, worst and far worst. Move on with your lives, tears you shed for Nigeria now will only amount to wasted energy and efforts. I repeat, move on with your lives, all hope is lost. When criminals are in power, crimes become so rampant because fellow criminals would be so emboldened to commit all manners of atrocities and criminalities. Never will I weep for Nigeria again. I rest my case.

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by MEGAWATCH: 4:26pm On Mar 02
bennybuhari:

Hahahaha!

Every known crooks in NIGERIA is always with Tinubu and his supporters keep believing he will upgrade their lives.

Nawaooo.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by brightovio007(m): 4:26pm On Mar 02
Analogue way of doing things breed corruption, embrace digital technology

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by iamphilips(m): 4:27pm On Mar 02
It's Called Nigeria for a reason
Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Skillsnigeria: 4:28pm On Mar 02
grin hmmm
Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Efikman(m): 4:32pm On Mar 02
I don tire for Nigeria. Na to japa sure pass

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:32pm On Mar 02
Alli, did worst custom job since Nigeria gained independent,despite his trying to play saint that he won't wear customms uniforms. angry

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by Macphenson: 4:33pm On Mar 02
Am wondering why Nigerian customs is yet to respond to the video where IBD DENDE threatned to kill their personnel because he sized his smuggled goods.

That video really made a lot of exposure about the criminality ran by the top echelon of the Nigerian customs.

IBD Dende is alleged to be the greatest smugguler in south west. Smuggling guns. tramadol, motorcycles for the terrorists up north.

He is also a very close ally of Bola Ahmed Tinubu as he was part of Tinubu's entourage to Dubai.

Tinubu always have serious romance with criminality.

Imagine sponsoring a criminal with state funds to Dubai.

Re: Customs Only Arrests Smugglers Who Refuse To Pay Bribe - Fisayo Soyombo by tivity101: 4:33pm On Mar 02
Customs personal are largely responsible for the decadence this country is facing... Just know the rite palms to grease you can bring in absolutely anything into this country

Jonathan Fires DG Of BPE / Ambode Gives Quit Notice To Property Owners Blocking Drainage Channels In Lagos / What Happened To, FG’s Hand-Picked Replacement For Twitter? - FIJ