Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People (266 Views)

Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins / Lagos Belongs To Us – The Bini / Important Drums Of The Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by RealSleek(m): 9:20am On Mar 03
There are several online debates on the origin of egusi soup. Some yorubas said its from their side, the east said its theirs..that the name is actually called egwusi even the middle belters are not left out in the debate.
So today I was reading a book, HISTORY OF THE YORUBA PEOPLE by REV. SAMUEL JOHNSON written in 1897 but published in 1921 and a portion speaks on the crops grown in the yoruba country at the time. And egusi is one of them. Which proves beyond doubt that the word egusi is native to the Yoruba country.

I also learnt groups of Yoruba natives have the earliest access to western education since late 1800s, a group which the writer Rev. Samuel Johnson and his brother ,Dr. O Johnson belong to.
So with proof, egusi is not egwusi and it belongs to the Yoruba people. Periodt!

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by chucks185: 9:27am On Mar 03
RealSleek:
There are several online debates on the origin of egusi soup. Some yorubas said its from their side, the east said its theirs..that actually called egwusi even the middle belters are not left out in the debate.
So today I was reading a book, HISTORY OF THE YORUBA PEOPLE by REV. SAMUEL JOHNSON written in 1897 but published in 1921 and a portion speaks on the crops grown in the yoruba country at the time. And egusi is one of them. Which proves beyond doubt that the word egusi is native to the Yoruba country.

I also learnt groups of Yoruba natives have the earliest access to western education since late 1800s, a group which the writer Rev. Samuel Johnson and his brother ,Dr. O Johnson belong to.
So with proof, egusi is not egwusi and it belongs to the Yoruba people. Periodt!
your mates in other parts of the world are developing themselves and living in the 21st century, here you are talking nonsense about egusi

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by RealSleek(m): 9:32am On Mar 03
chucks185:

your mates in other parts of the world are developing themselves and living in the 21st century, here you are talking nonsense about egusi
shut up..i am putting it in the public space for posterity..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by Lumarstone: 9:49am On Mar 03
Egusi may actually belong to Yoruba people but Igbos knows how best to make it edible. I love the soup especially when it is prepared by Nwanyi Awka here in Agbawo, Ibadan.

Generally, Igbo women are good in cooking good soup.

I left..!

1 Like

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by meobizy(f): 9:51am On Mar 03
chucks185:

Na where the guy brain start and stop.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by adamma24: 9:55am On Mar 03
RealSleek:
There are several online debates on the origin of egusi soup. Some yorubas said its from their side, the east said its theirs..that the name is actually called egwusi even the middle belters are not left out in the debate.

Ur mate dey take about technology..developing themselves with A.I etc thinking of the future...u dey here dey talk about egusi.... backward person like u
Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by tommy589(m): 10:15am On Mar 03
RealSleek:

A good read

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by RedboneSmith(m): 10:27am On Mar 03
Does it mean the rest of us have to ask for permission before we cook it?
Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by NoSmoking: 10:55am On Mar 03
I don't really like egusi tho

As Yoruba I very much prefer south south soups like Afang, white soup, edikan ikong, egusi with oha, bitter leaf and ogbono

Yet to try fisherman soup

But I enjoy my ewedu with fish stew and my local efo riro with abundant iru

😋

1 Like

Re: Egusi Belongs To The Yoruba People by Solsix(m): 11:50am On Mar 03
Yoruba have everything, rice, beans, fufu, yam etc. Are you ok op??

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Praying For Nigeria / What Is The Cause Of Culture Abadonment In Our Society Today? / World Water Summit And Expo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.