Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy (752 Views)

Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy / Enjoy Up To 1million Naira Monthly Rental Income / Urgent!i Am Looking Or Monthly Rental Room In Lagos, I Dont Mind To Share A Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Poisonousman: 11:53am On Mar 04
The Special Adviser to Lagos State Governor on Housing, Barakat Odunuga-Bakare, has disclosed that the state’s monthly rental scheme will be enforced before the end of 2024 or early next year.

She stated it during a recent press briefing of the Lagos State Real Estate Regulatory Authority in Ikeja, Lagos.

She said, “We all see what is being done in other climes, rents are collected monthly. Hence, we are looking and hoping that before the end of the year, or by early next year, we will be able to implement the policy of monthly rental. Also, the rental would be charged according to tenants’ earnings.

“The good part about it is that we would be test-running it first within the public sector since we can ascertain how much everybody is earning, and once we see that it works in the public sector, we can now push it out to the private sector.”

Odunuga-Bakare reiterated that the N5bn allocated for the monthly rental scheme was still set aside and untouched.

She added that the fact that the scheme was slow to take off showed that the Lagos State Government was still trying to perfect one thing or the other.

https://punchng.com/lagos-vows-to-enforce-monthly-rental-policy/

Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by UAObi: 12:01pm On Mar 04
Why wait till next year?

And what about those very expensive houses in very expensive estates, while people sleep under bridges. What's the plan?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by kcprince: 12:02pm On Mar 04
Na wa o. These people want affect the real estate sector with their negativity.

One of the nightmares of owning rental property in lagos is the long court process to evict tenants.

Making it one month will increase the chance of default unless the landlord will have to increase rent by 60% or more to hedge against the rental income loss incase
* the tenant default in payment
* Of high property idle time while looking for new occupants several times in a year.
* Years of court litigation to remove a tenant especially a stubborn one .

I think they should maintain the one year plan on ground. Instead they should push for agents to collect only 1 year agency and agreement instead of 2 years agency and agreement. Also they should push to reduce agency and agreement fee to 10% from the 20%( 10% agency + 10% agreement) they charge.

Also litigation between tenant and landlord should be concluded within 3 months

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by DenreleDave(m): 12:04pm On Mar 04
Not welcome.

Not advisable.

A year payment or 6 month is ideal
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Mrfeel: 12:06pm On Mar 04
So even if you rent a one room apartment but you earn big , you will pay higher than the person that rented 2 bedroom but earns small?
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Tallesty1(m): 12:10pm On Mar 04
Whatever works for them. It is not by force to live in lagos.
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by jmoore(m): 12:33pm On Mar 04
Monthly tenant = One month notice to quit.
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Prigidypogodo(f): 12:35pm On Mar 04
DenreleDave:
Not welcome.

Not advisable.

A year payment or 6 month is ideal
shatap boy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Cindypresh(f): 1:14pm On Mar 04
Misplaced priority

Mr sanwolu are you not aware that your people are being flogged just to collect #300 bread to chop in your backyard??

Go and solve hunger problem in the land fess
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by IgbosCriminals: 1:25pm On Mar 04
Omo
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by DWickedLandLord: 1:34pm On Mar 04
No ideas at all

After spending millions upon millions, you'll start to tell me how I will collect rent. Pure Rubbish

Which landlord is going to agree

Do you people know how expensive it is to raise a building in Lagos...how many different settlements you have to make with government touts. Etc

Oya ... I'll love to see which landlord will play by their rules
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Preciousese(f): 1:34pm On Mar 04
UAObi:
Why wait till next year?

And what about those very expensive houses in very expensive estates, while people sleep under bridges. What's the plan?
Plan of what
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Preciousese(f): 1:35pm On Mar 04
kcprince:
Na wa o. These people want affect the real estate sector with their negativity.

One of the nightmares of owning rental property in lagos is the long court process to evict tenants.

Making it one month will increase the chance of default unless the landlord will have to increase rent by 60% or more to hedge against the rental income loss incase
* the tenant default in payment
* Of high property idle time while looking for new occupants several times in a year.
* Years of court litigation to remove a tenant especially a stubborn one .

I think they should maintain the one year plan on ground. Instead they should push for agents to collect only 1 year agency and agreement instead of 2 years agency and agreement. Also they should push to reduce agency and agreement fee to 10% from the 20%( 10% agency + 10% agreement) they charge.

Also litigation between tenant and landlord should be concluded within 3 months
Don't bother it's Nigeria it won't work,even in America landlord fix there rent not government
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by Preciousese(f): 1:36pm On Mar 04
jmoore:
Monthly tenant = One month notice to quit.
Actually it's 3 days to quit
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by DWickedLandLord: 1:38pm On Mar 04
If you can't afford my building, don't enter

I don't n will not do monthly

Foh
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by fmlala: 2:50pm On Mar 04
GOOD
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by EzeChukwuIgbo: 2:50pm On Mar 04
ok
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by meum: 2:51pm On Mar 04
Hmm
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by PheelzAlmighty: 2:51pm On Mar 04
What do we do with this news, and how does it help the average Nigerian?
Re: Lagos Vows To Enforce Monthly Rental Policy by nlfpmod: 2:51pm On Mar 04

(1)

Accomondation In Ghana / I Want To Meet Real Estate Investors / Lands, Houses Both For Sale And Renting Call Now,,,,,,,,,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.