Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes (9642 Views)

SPAR Mall In Port Harcourt Flooded Due To Heavy Rain / MDAs Failed To Remit N1.2 Trillion - Fiscal Commission Says / Spar Shopping Mall In Calabar Collapses, Customers Feared Trapped (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Dee60: 12:16pm On Mar 05
We spend all the money in the world to carry contigents to several countries to beg them to bring in their funds and invest here. Then we chase those who accept to come. Do we think these nations are stupid? Can you count how many serious investors have fled in the last 20 years? ShopRite has sold out. We once flew Virgin Nigeria! They didnt stay here for 10 years and they vowed never to come back. Where is GSK? Where is Unilever? We just want to run a 'satchet economy' here. Sad. Chase them away and be wonering who will employ your citizens.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by JAWBONE(m): 12:20pm On Mar 05
This Peter Mbah strikes me as a very clueless Governor.

He seems like a student of Tinubu/Lagos politics and has no idea of his own.
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:24pm On Mar 05
Namaster:
That is ILLEGAL.

There is NOTHING like purchase tax in Nigeria. Companies like ShopRite are taxed under CITA in Nigeria. They pay to FIRS, not SIRS.

That is, their taxes are to be remitted to FG. Not states.

So what Enugu State is doing is EXTORTION.

And ShorpRite should sue them into bankruptcy. If for no other reason, for disturbing their business because of money they'll embezzle anyway.

The tax charged and printed on the receipts, who is it paid to?
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by 1000angstroms(m): 12:25pm On Mar 05
santaclaws:

ShopRite is owned by a Yoruba man. it was bought when SA exited the Nigerian market and had to sell it...

I know you all already have it registered in your mind that only Igbos have businesses but Yorubas don't make noise. 🥴

Source?

Not your compiled Microsoft excel
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by FatherOfJesus: 12:26pm On Mar 05
Paraman:
The Enugu state government is targeting Yoruba men business
Yoruba people don't live outside of southwest
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by FatherOfJesus: 12:28pm On Mar 05
santaclaws:

ShopRite is owned by a Yoruba man. it was bought when SA exited the Nigerian market and had to sell it...

I know you all already have it registered in your mind that only Igbos have businesses but Yorubas don't make noise. 🥴
You just listed few Supermarket and you concluded that Yorubas own more.

Dey play.

There are a lot of super markets chains in Nigeria beyond these.
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Iykenuwa(m): 12:33pm On Mar 05
AustineE1:

Are there Yorubas outside Lagos doing business elsewhere?...just an innocent question.

This ignorance is made in China

1 Like

Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Slurity(m): 12:37pm On Mar 05
AustineE1:

Are there Yorubas outside Lagos doing business elsewhere?...just an innocent question.
NO. All Yoruba people only do business inside lagos, in fact those in oyo , ondo ekiti and ogun has to come to Lagos before they can do business.
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by santaclaws: 12:45pm On Mar 05
FatherOfJesus:
You just listed few Supermarket and you concluded that Yorubas own more.

Dey play.

There are a lot of super markets chains in Nigeria beyond these.

Show me where I said "more"... Na so some of una dey fail exam.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by santaclaws: 12:47pm On Mar 05
1000angstroms:

Source?

Not your compiled Microsoft excel

LOL, stay there and keep asking for source as if it's a scholarly article. Google no dey work for your phone. 🥴
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by 1000angstroms(m): 12:51pm On Mar 05
santaclaws:

LOL, stay there and keep asking for source as if it's a scholarly article. Google no dey work for your phone. 🥴

No, it is always verifying my network traffic. angry
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by santaclaws: 12:52pm On Mar 05
1000angstroms:

No, it is always verifying my network traffic. angry

Because your way no pure na... Google no dey trust Yahoo boys 😆😆😆
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by johnjose68: 1:00pm On Mar 05
actiondrilling:

https://saharareporters.com/2024/03/05/enugu-state-government-shuts-shoprite-spar-other-malls-over-failure-remit-taxes

This is fake news. grin I thought afghaneastanian don't collect tax as part of IGR grin

Dey play ▶️
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by melodyogonna(m): 1:05pm On Mar 05
Lmao Mbah no dey joke. What's wrong with Shoprite sha, no taxes even with the long queues they have every day from morning til night? Make dem dey fear God sha
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by melodyogonna(m): 1:06pm On Mar 05
Dee60:
We spend all the money in the world to carry contigents to several countries to beg them to bring in their funds and invest here. Then we chase those who accept to come. Do we think these nations are stupid? Can you count how many serious investors have fled in the last 20 years? ShopRite has sold out. We once flew Virgin Nigeria! They didnt stay here for 10 years and they vowed never to come back. Where is GSK? Where is Unilever? We just want to run a 'satchet economy' here. Sad. Chase them away and be wonering who will employ your citizens.
Wetin be this nonsense, so they shouldn't pay taxes?
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by melodyogonna(m): 1:07pm On Mar 05
ZKOSOSO:
My sweet Polo ground.....abeg make dem no touch kilimanjaro restaurant inside the shoprite building
Whenever I lap Coal City na dia be my coconut rice plug 🔌....

The Kilimanjaro at Enugu Mall (where Spar is located) is better
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Calitoscassius(m): 1:30pm On Mar 05
Namaster:
That is ILLEGAL.

There is NOTHING like purchase tax in Nigeria. Companies like ShopRite are taxed under CITA in Nigeria. They pay to FIRS, not SIRS.

That is, their taxes are to be remitted to FG. Not states.

So what Enugu State is doing is EXTORTION.

And ShorpRite should sue them into bankruptcy. If for no other reason, for disturbing their business because of money they'll embezzle anyway.
Absolutely correct!
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by adebimpe4bako: 1:49pm On Mar 05
Good jobGood job...
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by ppogba: 2:08pm On Mar 05
It is this types of stories that shows boldly the hypocrisy of some people. This story is finding it difficult going beyond the second page.
If it were to be elsewhere, emergency political analysts, bedroom economists, and half baked graduates would have been weeping about why this should happen at this time. They would have waited about how this will kill the economy of the state and what not.
But now, all you read is, correct, right thing to do and all the rest.

Indeed, if you doubt the existence of hypocrisy then, come to Nairaland.
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by AuwalYusuf812(m): 2:34pm On Mar 05
Are dey sure of dis. ShopRite with doings, dey might vex and decided to leave Enugu again and people will lose their jobs again 🤣🤣🤣

Follow dem Gently
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Boldideas: 3:37pm On Mar 05
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by JaskanFactor: 3:50pm On Mar 05
given that inflation is a form of tax its not profitable for any foriegn company to do business in Nigeria high inflation if they are going to be taxed also. Companies who need to change thier money to forex will be lucky to make profit in Nigeria.
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Chudyfuto(m): 4:11pm On Mar 05
Lols you people are playing with someone whose name is egwuonwu ( death dance )
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by focus7: 5:03pm On Mar 05
If this happens in Lagos, Tinubu and Sanwolu for done hearam
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by majemuoluwa45075: 5:49pm On Mar 05
If these happen in Lagos, they will.be attacking the governor for marginalization. I'm waiting for the chemical reactor OBIIf these happen in Lagos, they will.be attacking the governor for marginalization. I'm waiting for the chemical reactor OBI...
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by ZKOSOSO(m): 10:26pm On Mar 05
melodyogonna:

The Kilimanjaro at Enugu Mall (where Spar is located) is better
042 gee....I de feel ya.....

1 Like

Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Tonytonex(m): 4:29am On Mar 06
Shooting yourself on the foot without knowing
Re: Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes by Greatzeus(m): 12:29pm On Mar 13
AustineE1:

Who owns Spar and shoprite? Yea run go Google it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Sun Award: High Chief Dr. Christopher Ndubuisi Emerges Investor of the Year / CBN Seeks End To Naira Mutilation / CBN To Sell Dollars In Special Auction To Clear Backlogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.