Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Free Visa Countries For Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Free Visa Countries For Nigerians (958 Views)

What Does E-visa Countries For Nigerian Passport Holder Mean??? / Most Sought-After Countries For Immigrants / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Gift973(m): 10:45am On Mar 07
List of Visa-free countries for Nigerian passport holders
Visa-free travel for Nigerian passport holders can vary depending on the destination and the specific conditions of your trip. Here are the top 25 countries and territories that typically allow Nigerian passport holders to enter for short visits without requiring a visa or with visa-free access on arrival:

1. Barbados
2. Benin
3. Burkina Faso
4. Cape Verde
5. Dominica
6. Fiji
7. Gambia
8. Ghana
9. Guinea
10. Haiti
11. Kenya
12. Liberia
13. Maldives
14. Mauritius
15. Micronesia
16. Niger
17. Palau
18. Saint Kitts and Nevis
19. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
20. Senegal
21. Seychelles
22. Sierra Leone
23. Tanzania
24. Togo
25. Vanuatu
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 10:37pm On Mar 07
Unless you live in the West as a Nigerian, visiting most of the non-ecowas visa-free countries requires a transit visa, which means that it's technically not free.

So apart from other African (Ecowas) countries, Nigerians practically have no visa-free country. Now add the rising cost of travel when converted to naira, and then you realize how unfortunate the situation is.

6 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 12:22am On Mar 08
pansophist:
Unless you live in the West as a Nigerian, visiting most of the non-ecowas visa-free countries requires a transit visa, which means that it's technically not free.

So apart from other African (Ecowas) countries, Nigerians practically have no visa-free country. Now add the rising cost of travel when converted to naira, and then you realize how unfortunate the situation is.

This is so sad, I have a GF from Nigeria, I really would like to take her for holiday, but literally there is no country she can go that would be outside od Ecowas. At least without needing months of preparation.

1 Like

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Localboy48: 2:27am On Mar 08
Juraj:

This is so sad, I have a GF from Nigeria, I really would like to take her for holiday, but literally there is no country she can go that would be outside od Ecowas. At least without needing months of preparation.

Which country are you from?
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 2:49pm On Mar 09
Localboy48:

Which country are you from?

Slovakia, not sure if that helps the discussion.

Also, noticed that Kenya is on the list, I believe you need an e-visa there.
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Localboy48: 5:32pm On Mar 09
Juraj:

Have you met the said girlfriend physically?
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 6:01pm On Mar 09
Localboy48:

Have you met the said girlfriend physically?

Of course, I visited Nigeria in December. Met her family and friends in Anambra state.
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 7:42am On Mar 10
Juraj:

We got a Slovakian here? wow.

I have a very good friend (an ex-classmate) who lives in a small village just like a twenty mins ride from Kosice. I visited her and her family a few times.

When I do, her mother will load my bags with halusky, parenica, cabbage, potatoes, fermented vegetables, etc. They have a farm and live a kind of farmer's life.

They almost gave me a live chicken to take back home, mehn, I rejected it. Thats jail. grin You are allowed to eat chickens in western Europe, but you can't kill it yourself. Slovakia is free in that aspect.

Slovakia is a beautiful man. The mountains, foods, and culture. I hope it remains that way.

6 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 7:50am On Mar 10
Juraj:

Yes, sadly, that's the reality of Nigerian passport holders.

Also, the burden falls more on you to prove your love with actions because you are better off, either by passing through the financial, emotional physical burden of visiting Nigeria or marrying her to make it easy to bring it over when you are not even sure if you want to be together.

Lots of relationships have broken off that way. Because after the love and glory of a relationship, you can't ignore the economic foundation of it. And when you are in a relationship with someone in a lower financial/economic/national bracket than you, then the person that is better off has more burden to carry.

My advice would be to come to visit, it is easier for you. Every country in the world doesn't need a visa to visit the Benin Republic, so apply for an e-visa and come, and she can cross over the border to meet you even without a passport.

Or, pass through the stress of applying for a visa and come visit. The Nigerian embassy in Budapest has territorial competence for applicants applying from Slovakia unless you don't live in Slovakia.

You have to pay the price for what you want. If she is important to you, then come and visit her. Above all, I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 8:26am On Mar 10
pansophist:

We got a Slovakian here? wow.

I have a very good friend (an ex-classmate) who lives in a small village just like a twenty mins ride from Kosice. I visited her and her family a few times.

When I do, her mother will load my bags with halusky, parenica, cabbage, potatoes, fermented vegetables, etc. They have a farm and live a kind of farmer's life.

They almost gave me a live chicken to take back home, mehn, I rejected it. Thats jail. grin You are allowed to eat chickens in western Europe, but you can't kill it yourself. Slovakia is free in that aspect.

Slovakia is a beautiful man. The mountains, foods, and culture. I hope it remains that way.

Haha, thats lovely to hear, also like that you know halusky and parenica cheesy

Slovaks are very friendly to people they consider their family and friends.
But, can I ask something ? did you have any negative experience traveling/staying there ?
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 8:48am On Mar 10
pansophist:

Yes, sadly, that's the reality of Nigerian passport holders.

Also, the burden falls more on you to prove your love with actions because you are better off, either by passing through the financial, emotional physical burden of visiting Nigeria or marrying her to make it easy to bring it over when you are not even sure if you want to be together.

Lots of relationships have broken off that way. Because after the love and glory of a relationship, you can't ignore the economic foundation of it. And when you are in a relationship with someone in a lower financial/economic/national bracket than you, then the person that is better off has more burden to carry.

My advice would be to come to visit, it is easier for you. Every country in the world doesn't need a visa to visit the Benin Republic, so apply for an e-visa and come, and she can cross over the border to meet you even without a passport.

Or, pass through the stress of applying for a visa and come visit. The Nigerian embassy in Budapest has territorial competence for applicants applying from Slovakia unless you don't live in Slovakia.

You have to pay the price for what you want. If she is important to you, then come and visit her. Above all, I wish you all the best.

I mentioned in later post, that I have already visited in December. It was trough Austria embassy though. As for any kind of financial bracket, I don't necessary believe in that or was I ever raised in such spirit. Trough some luck I was able to minimize my expenses last year, while having flexible work schedule. So while not being exactly rich, I can throw in helping hand to her if needed, but I'm in no way sugar daddy smiley, also she is too proud to live like that.

Her Schengen Visa were declined unfortunately, so by traveling to foreign country, I'm also trying to improve her travel history for the future. However its proving to be very hard, as the list of requirements is so long for Nigerians, and almost impossible to do, unless you have really good corporate job, which she doesn't sad

1 Like

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 8:49am On Mar 10
Juraj:

Haha, thats lovely to hear, also like that you know halusky and parenica cheesy

Slovaks are very friendly to people they consider their family and friends.
But, can I ask something ? did you have any negative experience traveling/staying there ?

No, I don't. I was just shocked that a country that is in the EU, in NATO, in Schengen, and a high youth mobility stares so much at black men in the street. But staring is not a negative experience, just an inconvenience.

A Nigerian guy has a negative experience though. So this Nigerian guy and my Slovak friend fell in love. He was her first love, a Christian, unspoiled, 22-year-old girl but her father refused they get married.

Her father is a typical old-school man who doesn't speak English. When I visited, he was kind, welcoming, and a wonderful guy, but when it was to marry her daughter and take her out of Slovakia, he refused vehemently.

And they ended up breaking up.

3 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 8:58am On Mar 10
Juraj:

I mentioned in later post, that I have already visited in December. It was trough Austria embassy though. As for any kind of financial bracket, I don't necessary believe in that or was I ever raised in such spirit. Trough some luck I was able to minimize my expenses last year, while having flexible work schedule. So while not being exactly rich, I can throw in helping hand to her if needed, but I'm in no way sugar daddy smiley, also she is too proud to live like that.

Her Schengen Visa were declined unfortunately, so by traveling to foreign country, I'm also trying to improve her travel history for the future. However its proving to be very hard, as the list of requirements is so long for Nigerians, and almost impossible to do, unless you have really good corporate job, which she doesn't sad

If you see nothing in the way of marrying her, then do it. Then she can easily come. Otherwise, sadly, the embassy will not give a Nigerian a visa. It's like an unspoken rule right now. If you are applying for a Schengen visa from Nigeria, you are wasting your time. But there is an easier way for her to visit you.

If you can prove that you guys have been in constant communication via electronic messaging such as WhatsApp, and can also prove that you have met each other at least thrice, and spent at least 45 days together within the past two years, then she can apply for a Schengen visa to Belgium under Directive 2004/58/EC.

But in that case, you will have to exercise your right to freedom of movement to Belgium, and then your family member, who is your Nigerian girlfriend, can be a beneficiary of it. Then she will benefit from a special family procedure that is free of charge and a right to a visa.

Or just marry her if the above seems stressful. In any case, you must prove that you guys are cohabitant, married, have a child together, or have a serious relationship. If you can explain to me the intensity of your relationship, I can see how to advise you further.

5 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 9:33am On Mar 10
pansophist:

No, I don't. I was just shocked that a country that is in the EU, in NATO, in Schengen, and a high youth mobility stares so much at black men in the street. But staring is not a negative experience, just an inconvenience.

A Nigerian guy has a negative experience though. So this Nigerian guy and my Slovak friend fell in love. She was his first love, a Christian, unspoiled, 22-year-old girl but her father refused to get married.

Her father is a typical old-school man who doesn't speak English. When I visited, he was kind, welcoming, and a wonderful guy, but when it was to marry her daughter and take her out of Slovakia, he refused vehemently.

And they ended up breaking up.

About the stares - I thought as much. Its probably like me when I was in Nigeria, but it was more just glances and not staring which I totally understood.
As for the father, this is such common trope here. Sorry about your friend.
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 9:46am On Mar 10
pansophist:

If you see nothing in the way of marrying her, then do it. Then she can easily come. Otherwise, sadly, the embassy will not give a Nigerian a visa. It's like an unspoken rule right now. If you are applying for a Schengen visa from Nigeria, you are wasting your time. But there is an easier way for her to visit you.

If you can prove that you guys have been in constant communication via electronic messaging such as WhatsApp, and can also prove that you have met each other at least thrice, and spent at least 45 days together within the past two years, then she can apply for a Schengen visa to Belgium under Directive 2004/58/EC.

But in that case, you will have to exercise your right to freedom of movement to Belgium, and then your family member, who is your Nigerian girlfriend, can be a beneficiary of it. Then she will benefit from a special family procedure that is free of charge and a right to a visa.

Or just marry her if the above seems stressful. In any case, you must prove that you guys are cohabitant, married, have a child together, or have a serious relationship. If you can explain to me the intensity of your relationship, I can see how to advise you further.

I don't see anything in our way to get married, but this might be cultural difference, but I would not feel 100% OK with marrying someone I was physically only couple weeks. Thought it crossed my mind many times, however I'm not sure, if it would be helpful due to Slovak laws as it could take up to a year for it to be recognized here.

HOWEVER, the directive you mentioned is actually really really good idea if it applies to tourist visits too. As such visit that would prove that there is no "risk of her not returning to home" in subsequent requests, if we obey the law. That should give us enough time to find out what this relationship really is.

I will find out more, thanks!
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Localboy48: 9:49am On Mar 10
pansophist:

Schengen areas won’t still give visa even if you’re going for an advanced degree like PhD( a fully funded PhD project and your supervisor just can’t wait to have you on board)
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 8:20pm On Mar 10
Localboy48:

Schengen areas won’t still give visa even if you’re going for an advanced degree like PhD( a fully funded PhD project and your supervisor just can’t wait to have you on board)

Yea, they won't because it's not a right, but a conferred privilege, or permission. But for family members of Europeans, it's a right. That's the legal term.

It is not about what anyone thinks, even the visa officer, it is about the law because there are regulations that guide all these things. It is not trying your luck, or fasting and praying.

2 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 8:25pm On Mar 10
Juraj:

HOWEVER, the directive you mentioned is a really good idea if it applies to tourist visits too. As such visit would prove that there is no "risk of her not returning home" in subsequent requests if we obey the law. That should give us enough time to find out what this relationship is.

I will find out more, thanks!

Yes, it covers short trips that last for at least 90 days.

When one applies as a family member, there is no such requirement to show that you are coming back, or health insurance, or bank statement, employment documents, or landed properties, etc. The visa is also issued free of charge.

Asking for the above documents contradicts the very essence of such rights. Since no one will ask you any questions if you visit Spain for example, your family member has such a right.

But for such a right to be activated, she has to be a wife, or you prove you have lived together for about six months (Sweden and Netherlands consider it as sufficient proof of a marriage-like relationship).
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Juraj: 10:39pm On Mar 10
pansophist:

Yes, it covers short trips that last for at least 90 days.

When one applies as a family member, there is no such requirement to show that you are coming back, or health insurance, or bank statement, employment documents, or landed properties, etc. The visa is also issued free of charge.

Asking for the above documents contradicts the very essence of such rights. Since no one will ask you any questions if you visit Spain for example, your family member has such a right.

But for such a right to be activated, she has to be a wife, or you prove you have lived together for about six months (Sweden and Netherlands consider it as sufficient proof of a marriage-like relationship).

yeah, unfortunatelly those 45 days over last 2 years, also require us to have known each other for 2 years, which we haven't yet sad
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by lastkingsman: 12:20am On Mar 11
pansophist:

Nigerian citizenship. The weapon fashioned against me grin

Kai Kai grin
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Localboy48: 5:01am On Mar 11
pansophist:

Yea, they won't because it's not a right, but a conferred privilege, or permission. But for family members of Europeans, it's a right. That's the legal term.

It is not about what anyone thinks, even the visa officer, it is about the law because there are regulations that guide all these things. It is not trying your luck, or fasting and praying.

Wow.. I didn’t know this..-that mean they stop issuing visa to Nigerians…..and I’ve been trying to apply for PhD positions in Sweden, Finland etc
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Regex: 8:42am On Mar 11
lastkingsman:

Kai Kai grin

Kwa kwa... Life score me 2-0 at birth. Now, na 2-2... Soon e go be 2-4....😂 😂

1 Like

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by lastkingsman: 10:21am On Mar 11
Regex:

Kwa kwa... Life score me 2-0 at birth. Now, na 2-2... Soon e go be 2-4....😂 😂

It's crazy how the mention of the name Nigeria raises suspicion. My friend here casual replies people with Ghana when they ask him where's from. The matter dey always make me laugh. grin
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 11:01pm On Mar 11
Localboy48:

Wow.. I didn’t know this..-that mean they stop issuing visa to Nigerians…..and I’ve been trying to apply for PhD positions in Sweden, Finland etc

I am referring to a tourist visa. As for Ph.D. places or students generally, one can always get a permit if they meet the requirements.

What makes a tourist Schengen visa exceptionally difficult for most third-world nationals is Article 14c of the Schengen visa code. It states that the applicant must satisfy the condition that he will come back to their country of origin. It is in that section that almost all visa applications are refused.

What makes it even worse is that your intention to come back doesn't matter if you can't prove it. So if you are a man of integrity but not very wealthy, they will deny you even if just wanted to attend your daughter's graduation or son's wedding.

You also can't do anything even if the visa officer refuses you unlawfully.

So there is a loophole and also a lack of accountability for visa officers since they enjoy immunity. How else can you justify the visa refusal of celebs like Yemi Alade? For the Schengen visa code, you can access the documents below.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32009R0810

I suspect that such harsh requirement is deliberately put in place because otherwise, there will be no barrier to a Schengen visa. An almajiri can wake up and just go apply, and he will get it. All he has to say is write that he will come back.

But other categories like students, and family members, are not under such harsh measures, since you can't separate families, and students are assets.

The good news is that resident permits are available for students who have a study place and can pay tuition fees/under scholarships or Ph.D. applicants like you.

Because students or those coming to work either through Aupair, work, or research/PhD don't have to prove that they are coming back. I believe the EU Commission sees these categories of migrants as future assets to their host countries.

You can assess the student directive in the link below. Directives are drafted by the EU, then every member state has to transpose into their national legislation. So every EU country will treat your case under the law below.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ%3AL%3A2004%3A375%3A0012%3A0018%3AEn%3APDF

To avoid being denied a visa, you must read those documents like it's your bible. You can't afford to be ignorant. Lots of people just go apply, and follow it with prayer and fasting, when they could just read and understand how visa and embassy works. It's not rocket science.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 11:16pm On Mar 11
lastkingsman:

Kai Kai grin

It is better than being stateless bro grin

I know this guy from Kosovo who couldn't fly to Spain (and to many other countries) because Spain does not recognize his country. Also, you will never meet anyone from Kosovo in Nigeria because Nigeria does not recognize or have any diplomatic relationship with Kosovo.

Recognizing Kosovo, a country that unilaterally broke out of Serbia and declared independence affirms Biafra and Biafran will use it to justify leaving Nigeria.

Also since Nigeria has a diplomatic relationship with Serbia, recognizing Kosovo invalidates Nigeria's commitment to Serbia's sovereignty and geographical integrity.

So Naija's passport might be worse, but it's better than being stateless. Being stateless is like being in a room, but no one sees you. You are a ghost.

You still fit enter Ecowas sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Localboy48: 1:31am On Mar 12
pansophist:

I am referring to a tourist visa. As for Ph.D. places or students generally, one can always get a permit if they meet the requirements.

What makes a tourist Schengen visa exceptionally difficult for most third-world nationals is Article 14c of the Schengen visa code. It states that the applicant must satisfy the condition that he will come back to their country of origin. It is in that section that almost all visa applications are refused.

What makes it even worse is that your intention to come back doesn't matter if you can't prove it. So if you are a man of integrity but not very wealthy, they will deny you even if just wanted to attend your daughter's graduation or son's wedding.

So there is a loophole and also a lack of accountability for visa officers since they enjoy immunity. How else can you justify the visa refusal of celebs like Yemi Alade? For the Schengen visa code, you can access the documents below.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32009R0810

I suspect that such harsh requirement is deliberately put in place because otherwise, there will be no barrier to a Schengen visa. An almajiri can wake up and just go apply, and he will get it. All he has to say is write that he will come back.

But other categories like students, and family members, are not under such harsh measures, since you can't separate families, and students are assets.

The good news is that resident permits are available for students who have a study place and can pay tuition fees/under scholarships or Ph.D. applicants like you.

Because students or those coming to work either through Aupair, work, or research/PhD don't have to prove that they are coming back. I believe the EU Commission sees these categories of migrants as future assets to their host countries.

You can assess the student directive in the link below. Directives are drafted by the EU, then every member state has to transpose into their national legislation. So every EU country will treat your case under the law below.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ%3AL%3A2004%3A375%3A0012%3A0018%3AEn%3APDF

To avoid being denied a visa, you must read those documents like it's your bible. You can't afford to be ignorant. Lots of people just go apply, and follow it with prayer and fasting, when they could just read and understand how visa and embassy works. It's not rocket science.

Omoh..you’re very vast in this business…your contributions are very germane . I’ll check the relevant links that you shared. May God bless you
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by Savagethe21st(m): 9:22am On Mar 12
pansophist:

So there is a loophole and also a lack of accountability for visa officers since they enjoy .

To .

sir this link is not found
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by skyblueking(m): 8:59pm On Mar 12
pansophist:

It is better than being stateless bro grin

I know this guy from Kosovo who couldn't fly to Spain (and to many other countries) because Spain does not recognize his country. Also, you will never meet anyone from Kosovo in Nigeria because Nigeria does not recognize or have any diplomatic relationship with Kosovo.

Recognizing Kosovo, a country that unilaterally broke out of Serbia and declared independence affirms Biafra and Biafran will use it to justify leaving Nigeria.

Also since Nigeria has a diplomatic relationship with Serbia, recognizing Kosovo invalidates Nigeria's commitment to Serbia's sovereignty and geographical integrity.

So Naija's passport might be worse, but it's better than being stateless. Being stateless is like being in a room, but no one sees you. You are a ghost.

You still fit enter Ecowas sha grin

Whenever I come across your commentary, I'd definitely pause...
Baba ✌🏾🙏
Re: Free Visa Countries For Nigerians by pansophist(m): 8:43am On Mar 13
Savagethe21st:
sir this link is not found

Copy and paste the whole link into your browser.

(1) (Reply)

Family/educational Trip To Togo / City Madness / Any Nairalander In J'burg?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.