Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta (2076 Views)

Between Genevieve Nnaji And A Fan Who Disagreed With Her Post On 'boys Objectifi / Tobi And Cee-C Become Amstel Malta's Brand Ambassador (Photos) / Did Genevieve Nnaji Just Confirm She Is Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by FuglyGurl(f): 11:22am On Mar 12
Let me recount a story from 2014 when I worked as a client executive at BHM Group.

We were handling most of the Nigerian Breweries brand portfolio, and Amstel Malta was one of our accounts. They were sponsoring the AMVCAs, so we were involved in pre and post event media planning.

During the ceremony, Genevieve Nnaji was announced as a lifetime achievement award winner, and her prize came with a year's supply of Amstel Malta, which was announced. Bear in mind that Amstel Malta actively marketed itself as a health-conscious brand and a low-sugar alternative to other Malta drinks.

Genevieve - who also happened to be an Amstel Malta brand ambassador - had a regrettable foot-in-mouth moment onstage when accepting the award. When presented with the year's supply of Amstel Malta, she (jokingly) went "I hope this won't make me fat!"

The AM brand manager nearly lost her mind, and all the phones at BHM started ringing off the hook. This was a serious crisis moment for the brand, and we were the crisis communication experts, so we were expected to fix it! Fix it NOWWWW!

Us eager 20-something year-olds at BHM immediately swung into action, impressively coming up with a comprehensive communications plan for the crisis, including a Big Idea, in just 2 hours. Our plan was to take what Genevieve said and repurpose it into "Amstel Malta makes me PHAT - Pretty Hot And Tasty."

The plan had radio, TV, online and print channels, an influencer marketing extension (with buy-in from influencers whom we had proactively reached out to, even before presenting the plan to the boss), and even a celebrity endorsement plug-in (we proposed using Genevieve herself to market the phrase so as to make it all seem believable, or at least contrived) - all to the effect of making Genevieve's AMVCA faux pas seem like it was a planned statement to kick off an Amstel Malta comms campaign.

In fact, we believed so much in our comms plan that even without the boss's approval, we staged a photoshoot with each of us holding a can of Amstel Malta in the office - each photo captioned "Amstel Malta makes me PHAT."

After all this *Comms and PR* activity, we confidently walked into @ayenithegreat's office to present our crisis communication masterpiece that would dig Amstel Malta out of the hole dug by its brand ambassador and impress him. I remember holding the MacBook Pro and confidently presenting the slide deck to him alongside @MrBigtimi.

His verdict...

"Are you people serious?" And walked us out of his office. 🤣

Over the ensuing hours and days was when we saw the difference between an actual comms professional and a greenhorn wannabe. Instead of *doing something* to impress the hyperventilating client, Ayeni simply advised the client to wait and observe whether this "crisis" was in fact, a crisis. Instead of an overreaction where no response was actually necessary, he insisted that we wait and monitor whether anyone would pick up on the significance of what Genevieve said or give it coverage.

Nobody picked up on it. A few obscure tweets, no online gossip article, no news mention - nothing. It turned out that "Amstel Malta makes me PHAT" would not in fact, have put out a fire, but would have CREATED one. Where nobody even noticed our brand ambassador's unfortunate slip of tongue, it was our overeager, youthful aṣéjù that would have actually drawn attention to it.

What Ayeni did is the SI unit of 21st century professional crisis communication - reading the room first before doing, or deciding whether to do anything. Left to the angry client, Genevieve's endorsement contract would have been terminated immediately, which would have transformed what turned out to be a non-issue into a whole saga. Ayeni rather advised everyone to stay calm and monitor the situation carefully.

That's how come you've never heard this story until now - a PR professional did his job.

Compare and contrast with the idiot whose daft, unnecessary, immature reaction turns a negative Facebook comment from some obscure corner of Facebook into a major national story involving the police, Amnesty International and a nationwide brand boycott hashtag.

As3m o

https://twitter.com/DavidHundeyin/status/1767482879066448271?t=iuGp1SOwDp9iWKmJF4eLVA&s=19

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by bennybuhari: 11:25am On Mar 12
Erisco really mess up sha

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Timoleon(m): 11:29am On Mar 12
Summary of the post, not every comment deserves a response or reaction. Most will fade out naturally causing no harm. Sometimes, reacting or responding may create bigger problems than we were trying to mitigate

22 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by SeeWahala: 11:31am On Mar 12
I'm on Facebook and X right now retreating g and spreading the gospel

boycott erisco and their sugat-sugar tomato paste angry

3 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by EreluRoz: 11:31am On Mar 12
Drama everywhere for this country, olopa ma ko everybody.

It's about my nap time, waiting for my boss to remind me 😂
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Shawnnn01: 11:47am On Mar 12
Yesterday I went to the market to buy Erisco just bcoz this foolish girl must not succeed in bringing a good man business down.

You are only labouring in vain Erisconis way out of the league of you hateful beings. Who God as bless your fathers can not unless.

What does the foolish girl contribute to her immediate society, talk more of society in general ? How many jobs does she provide ?

You all must fail n fail big. Next week again I will be buying Erisco he must succeed n not fail

SeeWahala:
I'm on Facebook and X right now retreating g and spreading the gospel

boycott erisco and their sugat-sugar tomato paste angry

2 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Shawnnn01: 11:49am On Mar 12
Tales by moonlight Erisco is not going anywhere because of one foolish bastard of a girl.

bennybuhari:
Erisco really mess up sha
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Paraman: 11:51am On Mar 12
Erisco messed up big time

1 Like

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by RepoMan007: 11:56am On Mar 12
Buhari was always in shock.
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by MMempire(m): 12:55pm On Mar 12
Nice piece from David Hundeyin.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by AfroBeatDiary: 1:06pm On Mar 12
Erisco in mud. I will fight for my right!
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by ednut1(m): 1:25pm On Mar 12
Freedom of speech is guaranteed. Freedom after is not. Same way Chude was arrested after he tweeted that Emeka offor called Obi to concede defeat as directed by Tinubu. Come provide evidence/ show workings he could not
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by tellwisdom: 1:58pm On Mar 12
I don’t know why they are pitying the gurl. She needed attention and she’s getting it. She has to prove where the long established product killed someone.

If indigenous people no establish, una go complain- now support indigenous product, una de bad mouth am.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Procashtips(m): 2:34pm On Mar 12
I hope when Erisco is out of business like some people on this thread are praying and wishing it does, you and the girl that posted what she posted will employ all those who will lose their jobs thereafter?

Is the girl being sued for the wrong reasons?

Imagine comparing 2014 when alot weren't online with now?

The wokeness now can't be compared to 10yrs ago.

5 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Panda7(m): 2:38pm On Mar 12
it doesn't matter PR boss, you should have just let Genevieve understood she isn't educated, stop covering up for people's stupidity it's not even in the law

2 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by MyExpression(m): 2:38pm On Mar 12
This is the situation.

Defamation of brand
...and
Infringement of right.

Is it right to arrest someone over a personal product review?
Is it a criminal offence to give negative user review?

She said the level of sugar kills people, not that the product in itself kills.

Every canned food with their necessary preservatives has potential to kill under certain conditions.
You should have looked into the level of sugar in the tomatoes, in relation to diabetic patients that are usually sugar conscious.

You tracked her, got her detained, no charges served yet...

Now it's been treated as a Cyber crime....she's yet to be served o.

Is this line of action a good response to a product review?

Let's say it's not a product review, and a cyber defamation, do you instigate the arrest, immediate transfer to Abuja, and detention during pregnancy.....?

It is a Civil matter. It require summons first and/or taking down the post...not outright arrest and detention...before petitioning the culprit or charging to court.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by ruggedtimi(m): 3:25pm On Mar 12
Shawnnn01:
Yesterday I went to the market to buy Erisco just bcoz this foolish girl must not succeed in bringing a good man business down.

You are only labouring in vain Erisconis way out of the league of you hateful beings. Who God as bless your fathers can not unless.

What does the foolish girl contribute to her immediate society, talk more of society in general ? How many jobs does she provide ?

You all must fail n fail big. Next week again I will be buying Erisco he must succeed n not fail

the girl complained about a product she bought...probably through the wrong channel. But are complain is a serious issue,the reason the erisco company overreacted. They should have gone back to the drawing board and improve there product.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by crestedaguiyi: 3:45pm On Mar 12
tellwisdom:
I don’t know why they are pitying the gurl. She needed attention and she’s getting it. She has to prove where the long established product killed someone.

If indigenous people no establish, una go complain- now support indigenous product, una de bad mouth am.

Pls change your moniker .

You lack wisdom.

6 Likes

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by ClearFlair: 4:11pm On Mar 12
Shawnnn01:

Congrats

1 Like

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by tellwisdom: 4:16pm On Mar 12
crestedaguiyi:

Pls change your moniker .

You lack wisdom.

You talk to me like that

1 Like

Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Shawnnn01: 4:41pm On Mar 12
No Erisco reacted n ask her to provide prove of her claim like providing the can of the paste so they can investigate the batch n series she was unable to provide something as simple as that but she n her goons deem it fit to bring Erisco down by all means.

I chose not to take her word for it she must prove her claim before I can support her accusations, I refuse to join the bandwagon of illiterate that can't investigate before taking side.

ruggedtimi:
the girl complained about a product she bought...probably through the wrong channel. But are complain is a serious issue,the reason the erisco company overreacted. They should have gone back to the drawing board and improve there product.
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Felabrity: 5:16pm On Mar 12
Erisco think say dem wise
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Orinechi: 8:22pm On Mar 12
ruggedtimi:
She should have followed the proper channel of complaints not to come out and talk down on a product just to destroy the company. Well, I don't blame her she is obedient and they are known for that
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by safarifarms(m): 10:24pm On Mar 12
I've learned something useful today. You don't necessarily need to react to everything.
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Peakdesign23(m): 3:50am On Mar 13
Honestly some things are to be ignored.
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by SocialJustice: 7:20am On Mar 13
Shawnnn01:
Tales by moonlight Erisco is not going anywhere because of one foolish bastard of a girl.

You be erisco pikin? I dey see you dey vaga follow everywhere since.

Abi na joblessness dey do you? Do you need work? 😂😂😂
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by talk2hb1(m): 9:23am On Mar 13
Shawnnn01:
No Erisco reacted n ask her to provide prove of her claim like providing the can of the paste so they can investigate the batch n series she was unable to provide something as simple as that but she n her goons deem it fit to bring Erisco down by all means.

I chose not to take her word for it she must prove her claim before I can support her accusations, I refuse to join the bandwagon of illiterate that can't investigate before taking side.

Was it after she was arrested or before?
The point here is her fundamental human rights were violated, because she expresses her opinion which is entitled to.

Nobody prays that Erisco goes out of business at least for the sake of people benefitting directly and indirectly from it. But they can do better, not overreacting.
They are the one giving her the winnings not the other way around, underdog had nothing to loss
Re: Erisco: David Hundeyin Recounts Event Between Genevieve Nnaji & Amstel Malta by Macnnoli4(m): 4:32pm On Mar 13
MyExpression:
This is the situation.

Defamation of brand
...and
Infringement of right.

Is it right to arrest someone over a personal product review?
Is it a criminal offence to give negative user review?

She said the level of sugar kills people, not that the product in itself kills.

Every canned food with their necessary preservatives has potential to kill under certain conditions.
You should have looked into the level of sugar in the tomatoes, in relation to diabetic patients that are usually sugar conscious.

You tracked her, got her detained, no charges served yet...

Now it's been treated as a Cyber crime....she's yet to be served o.

Is this line of action a good response to a product review?

Let's say it's not a product review, and a cyber defamation, do you instigate the arrest, immediate transfer to Abuja, and detention during pregnancy.....?

It is a Civil matter. It require summons first and/or taking down the post...not outright arrest and detention...before petitioning the culprit or charging to court.

Blame whichever idiots passed the Cybercrimes act that has made what should be civil matter into a criminal matter. You did expect people that actually receive death threats on social media to utilize that law and not big men whose feelings got hurt.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mercy Johnson’s Secretly Engaged To Edo Prince Unveiled / Real Meaning Of Kaita / Check Out Julius Agwu's Adorable Son Zadok

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.