Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala (16481 Views)

#WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, Myung-Hee React To WTO's Formal Announcement / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, 4 Others Sail Through First Round (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Konquest: 10:48pm On Mar 19
descarado:

Elubo, alibo is maize flour.
@descarado,

Just to correct you here... ELUBO is NOT maize flour.

ELUBO (NOT alibo) is a Yoruba word which means YAM flour or in FULL, ELUBO ISU which is got from slightly boiled yam slices which are then fermented and dried before grinding to YAM flour.

Second, the elubo that is made from dried cassava is called ELUBO LAFUN, and the elubo that is made from dried plantains is called ELUBO OGEDE.

ISU is the Yoruba name for YAM. Hence the name ELUBO ISU (yam flour)

The etymology of the word ELUBO refers to the "fine particles" of yam flour that DROP when the milled dry yam flour is beaten with the hand or some other device while using a seiver to seive the yam flour into finer yam particles.

"Lu" means to BEAT in Yoruba.
"Bo" means to DROP in Yoruba.

Last but not least, AMALA is the Yoruba name for the swallow that is prepared by pouring ELUBO ISU (yam flour) into hot water and stired until it sets. Then it's served with any kind of soup such the different varieties of efo riro, ewedu and gbegiri, egusi soup with goat meat pepper soup, apon soup, afang soup, etc.

=>https://yorubalessons.com/2023/07/07/amala-tracing-the-origins-of-a-cultural-staple/

Hope this helps.
Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Love800(m): 2:52pm On Mar 20
Tanks so much.

So amala(dat brownish stuff), is from yam flour?
I have neva seen cassava flour dat is been moulded to swallow for food?
What crop is semovita gotten from?

Modified- i thought amala is from plantain flour?
Konquest:

@descarado,

Just to correct you here... ELUBO is NOT maize flour.

ELUBO (NOT alibo) is a Yoruba word which means YAM flour or in FULL, ELUBO ISU which is got from slightly boiled yam slices which are then fermented and dried before grinding to YAM flour.

Second, the elubo that is made from dried cassava is called ELUBO LAFUN, and the elubo that is made from dried plantains is called ELUBO OGEDE.

ISU is the Yoruba name for YAM. Hence the name ELUBO ISU (yam flour)

The etymology of the word ELUBO refers to the "fine particles" of yam flour that DROP when the milled dry yam flour is beaten with the hand or some other device while using a seiver to seive the yam flour into finer yam particles.

"Lu" means to BEAT in Yoruba.
"Bo" means to DROP in Yoruba.

Last but not least, AMALA is the Yoruba name for the swallow that is prepared by pouring ELUBO ISU (yam flour) into hot water and stired until it sets. Then it's served with any kind of soup such the different varieties of efo riro, ewedu and gbegiri, egusi soup with goat meat pepper soup, apon soup, afang soup, etc.

=>https://yorubalessons.com/2023/07/07/amala-tracing-the-origins-of-a-cultural-staple/

Hope this helps.

Cc: Love800

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Christistruth00: 3:02pm On Mar 20
Nigeria’s Ministry of Agriculture needs to set up a Quality Control Board to Inspect ,approve and grade Agricultural Products before they are exported
Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Konquest: 11:16pm On Mar 20
Love800:
Tanks so much.

So amala(dat brownish stuff), is from yam flour?

I have neva seen cassava flour dat is been moulded to swallow for food?

What crop is semovita gotten from?

Modified- i thought amala is from plantain flour?
First off, Semolina is originally made from the wheat crop. In recent times though, some big Semolina-producing companies have been using a mixed combo of flours from wheat and maize as part of their in-house research to save cost and without compromising the Semolina quality (with the wheat being more in percentage than the cassava flour).

The same thing too has been happening in the bread industry right from the 1980s when a Federal policy to start mixing wheat and cassava flour to make bread kicked in. The percentage of wheat is usually higher than the cassava flour component though, and the bread and other confectionary still came out tasty. Back in the 1980s when I first tasty wheat-cassava bread made by FIIRO, it tasted really good and if you are not told the bread was made of wheat-cassava combo, you would have thought it was a 100 percent bread made from wheat flour.

Second... Now to the 3 types of AMALA.

You're correct... The brown ELUBO ISU (is got from yams). When the yams are peeled, dried, milled, and sieved, you get a fine light brown yam flour (ELUBO ISU in Yoruba language).

Just as I stated in my first post, it's the brown yam flour that is used to prepare BROWN AMALA ISU (which is a popular swallow and eaten with any kind of tasty soup). This Amala ISU is the most popular of the 3 kinds of Amalas, followed by Amala LAFUN, and Amala OGEDE based on there production outputs of the different milled and seived flours got from yams, cassava, and unripe plantains.

Third, the white ELUBO LAFUN (cassava flour), is also used to prepare what Yorubas call AMALA LAFUN (it's also a swallow and white).

Fourth, ELUBO OGEDE (unripe plantain flour), is the third type of ELUBO that Yorubas use to make AMALA OGEDE (this is also the third type of Amala swallow and it's also kinda light brownish).

"Recap of the 3 Types of ELUBO & the 3 Types of AMALA":
1. ELUBO ISU (used to make brown Amala swallow from yam flour).

2. ELUBO LAFUN (used to make white Amala swallow from cassava flour).

3. ELUBO OGEDE (used to make light brown Amala swallow from unripe plantain flour).

You can do some more reading online or watch YouTube just to get a hang of some of these food origins and etymologies.
Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Love800(m): 6:28am On Mar 21
Tanks so much.
I so much appreciate.
Konquest:

First off, Semolina is originally made from the wheat crop. In recent times though, some big Semolina-producing companies have been using a mixed combo of flours from wheat and maize as part of their in-house research to save cost and without compromising the Semolina quality (with the wheat being more in percentage than the cassava flour).

The same thing too has been happening in the bread industry right from the 1980s when a Federal policy to start mixing wheat and cassava flour to make bread kicked in. The percentage of wheat is usually higher than the cassava flour component though, and the bread and other confectionary still came out tasty. Back in the 1980s when I first tasty wheat-cassava bread made by FIIRO, it tasted really good and if you are not told the bread was made of wheat-cassava combo, you would have thought it was a 100 percent bread made from wheat flour.

Second... Now to the 3 types of AMALA.

You're correct... The brown ELUBO ISU (is got from yams). When the yams are peeled, dried, milled, and sieved, you get a fine light brown yam flour (ELUBO ISU in Yoruba language).

Just as I stated in my first post, it's the brown yam flour that is used to prepare BROWN AMALA ISU (which is a popular swallow and eaten with any kind of tasty soup). This Amala ISU is the most popular of the 3 kinds of Amalas, followed by Amala LAFUN, and Amala OGEDE based on there production outputs of the different milled and seived flours got from yams, cassava, and unripe plantains.

Third, the white ELUBO LAFUN (cassava flour), is also used to prepare what Yorubas call AMALA LAFUN (it's also a swallow and white).

Fourth, ELUBO OGEDE (unripe plantain flour), is the third type of ELUBO that Yorubas use to make AMALA OGEDE (this is also the third type of Amala swallow and it's also kinda light brownish).

"Recap of the 3 Types of ELUBO & the 3 Types of AMALA":
1. ELUBO ISU (used to make brown Amala swallow from yam flour).

2. ELUBO LAFUN (used to make white Amala swallow from cassava flour).

3. ELUBO OGEDE (used to make light brown Amala swallow from unripe plantain flour).

You can do some more reading online or watch YouTube just to get a hang of some of these food origins and etymologies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Konquest: 5:17pm On Mar 21
Love800:
Tanks so much.
I so much appreciate.
You're welcome... Anytime.
Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Konquest: 5:50pm On Mar 21
iLegendd:
The one that hurts me is when other customers use their left hand they usually use to clean their ass in the toilet to touch the garri I'm buying right before my eyes and I want to drink some whenever I'm lazy to cook.

Someone of them even wipe their nose, clean their hands on their clothes and go straight to touching garri they want to buy. I get angry with that, so I buy mostly from the main source — people that fry it.

A Nigerian feels like "dirty no dey kill African man," so touching people's food is nothing.

It's the women that always do this. They'll touch everything at the market, but will never buy if the price goes up by just 10 Naira. If you caution them, they'll finish you with badmouth.

This is probably why some rich men eat semo and the other pounded ones instead of garri every old, young, unhygienic, and dirty people have touched.

Some buyers self, when they're tasting the garri, they put their mouth in the basin so that the rest their moth could hold will fall inside the basin. cry

This is insightful.

Global standards have to really be set in all Nigerian markets with the collaboration of the market leaders by ensuring that food or phytosanitary inspectors go round the markets in a discrete manner so as not to arouse suspicion and get the obstinate ones among the food and fruit sellers NOT covering their food items, (or NOT wearing disposable nylon gloves) arrested and penalized for violating sanitary rules.

The punishments could be in form of community service such as cleaning the environment after prosecution in a mobile court.
Re: Nigeria’s Agric Exports Facing Rejections Overseas – WTO DG, Okonjo Iweala by Konquest: 6:07pm On Mar 21
iyatrustee:

I wanted to buy beans a few days in one African shop only to realise I'll have to go and pick it because it wasn't stone-cleaned before exporting.

I jejely waka go buy supermarket beans.
I wonder how that African food store in the UK ended up stocking bags of beans with stones in them? Until discrete reports are made to the relevant phytosanitary inspection authorities, these folks will not stop selling these things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rivers: Supreme Court Re-affirms Gov Fubara (PDP), Dismisses Cole's Petition / Pro-Bello Protesters Reportedly Attacked By EFCC Operatives / NASS Leadership: PDP Takes Action Over Emergence Of Lawan, Gbajabiamila, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.