Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,541 members, 7,812,683 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

"Unethical Conduct Among Nigerian: Addressing A Concerning Trend" - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Unethical Conduct Among Nigerian: Addressing A Concerning Trend" (187 Views)

JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths / Studying In Iceland 2021(a New Trend) / FAAN Says All Issues Concerning Enugu Airport Now Resolved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"Unethical Conduct Among Nigerian: Addressing A Concerning Trend" by steeltrust: 5:07am On Mar 17
Why do some individuals in Nigeria resort to fraudulent practices, even cheating their own fellow Nigerians? Today, my wife took me to an African grocery store not far from my mother-in-law’s place in Chicago. Upon entering, we noticed that none of the items had price tags, which was unusual, as I've been to similar stores where every product was clearly marked. After selecting our items, we waited behind the counter as the Nigerian woman began scanning them. Strangely, the prices displayed on her computer did not match the products' actual prices. For instance, a seasoning for suya showed up as $2.75, but she manually changed it to garlic powder for $7.99. Despite my urge to confront her, my wife subtly signaled me to refrain. As we left, I expressed my disappointment in the Nigeria local pidgin, informing her that she had lost a customer and would receive a negative review. It's disheartening to see fellow Nigerians engaging in such dishonest practices, disregarding the trust and respect we should have for one another. How many others has she cheated in this manner? This behavior is unjust and unfair. If the government were to intervene and close down her store, the only narrative would be that of a Nigerian cheating people out of their hard-earned money. Let's strive to do better, wherever we find ourselves, and uphold integrity and honesty in all our dealings.

1 Like

Re: "Unethical Conduct Among Nigerian: Addressing A Concerning Trend" by 79733139(m): 3:16pm On Mar 17
So let me get this right:

1.) You saw that you were being cheated by a store clerk and you didn't stop her.
2.) You didn't report her to the owner or manager of the store
3.) You decided to write an epistle on Nairaland complaining about unethical conduct amongst Nigerians when it was well within your power to not only stop that fraud from occurring but to make sure that the store clerk gets punished.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

So what do you want us to do now? Less than 0.01% of Nairalanders live in Chicago.

Next time you are being cheated, stop it.

steeltrust:
Why do some individuals in Nigeria resort to fraudulent practices, even cheating their own fellow Nigerians? Today, my wife took me to an African grocery store not far from my mother-in-law’s place in Chicago. Upon entering, we noticed that none of the items had price tags, which was unusual, as I've been to similar stores where every product was clearly marked. After selecting our items, we waited behind the counter as the Nigerian woman began scanning them. Strangely, the prices displayed on her computer did not match the products' actual prices. For instance, a seasoning for suya showed up as $2.75, but she manually changed it to garlic powder for $7.99. Despite my urge to confront her, my wife subtly signaled me to refrain. As we left, I expressed my disappointment in the Nigeria local pidgin, informing her that she had lost a customer and would receive a negative review. It's disheartening to see fellow Nigerians engaging in such dishonest practices, disregarding the trust and respect we should have for one another. How many others has she cheated in this manner? This behavior is unjust and unfair. If the government were to intervene and close down her store, the only narrative would be that of a Nigerian cheating people out of their hard-earned money. Let's strive to do better, wherever we find ourselves, and uphold integrity and honesty in all our dealings.

1 Like

Re: "Unethical Conduct Among Nigerian: Addressing A Concerning Trend" by steeltrust: 4:35pm On Mar 17
79733139:
So let me get this right:

1.) You saw that you were being cheated by a store clerk and you didn't stop her.
2.) You didn't report her to the owner or manager of the store
3.) You decided to write an epistle on Nairaland complaining about unethical conduct amongst Nigerians when it was well within your power to not only stop that fraud from occurring but to make sure that the store clerk gets punished.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

So what do you want us to do now? Less than 0.01% of Nairalanders live in Chicago.

Next time you are being cheated, stop it.

I wanted to bring up this issue, but my wife stopped me because she knows the kind of scene I'll create there.

Additionally, I want to clarify a point from my previous post, like I mentioned she runs the store solely by herself, I meant that she owns and operates it independently.

The reason I'm raising this issue here is because I know there are other Nigerians involved in similar activities, not necessarily in Chicago but in other American cities or developed countries. We should learn to look out for one another and be our brothers' keeper. I'm simply trying to raise awareness because when negative incidents occur, the blame often falls on all Nigerians collectively, which isn't fair. i did tell what she did was wrong and i left

Thank you."

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Flying Airpeace New Nigeria To London - Experience And Review / Japa Help / I Am Planning To Apply For A TRV To Canada But I Don’t Know The Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.