Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,737 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria (1245 Views)

Why Girls Like Cars So Much? / Why Are Cars So Expensive? / These Are The 15 Safest 2018 Cars So Far - IIHS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 12:17pm On Mar 17
When I started working remotely about 5 years ago, I was earning about $5,000 a month. I can buy any car from usa. fast forward, I earn about $10,000 a month now, and I can't even afford a 2015 foreign used glk 350 if I am to buy it instantly, but the price of these glk has reduced a lot in the USA or Canada. You can still get a 2015 glk 350 instantly immediately after you receive a salary of 10,000 dollars. 10, dollars is a lot of money in the US. Even Nigerian Used cars are Selling for r 14-15.5 million naira which is about $13,000 (thirteen thousand dollars), more expensive than what is being sold in the US.

What is happening in this country?

The first picture is the Price of a buy now glk in Auction Export.
Second P icture Nigeian price which is about $13,000. Thirteen thousand dollars.
3rd Picture is Nigerian Price

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by jeyselassie(m): 12:22pm On Mar 17
TheOldGods:
When I started working remotely about 5 years ago, I was earning about $5,000 a month. I can buy any car from usa. fast forward, I earn about $10,000 a month now, and I can't even afford a 2015 foreign used glk 350 if I am to buy it instantly, but the price of these glk has reduced a lot in the USA or Canada. You can still get a 2015 glk 350 instantly immediately after you receive a salary of 10,000 dollars. 10, dollars is a lot of money in the US. Even Nigerian Used cars are Selling for r 14-15.5 million naira which is about $13,000 (thirteen thousand dollars), more expensive than what is being sold in the US.

Second P icture Nigeian price which is about $13,000. Thirteen thousand dollars.
customs duty and a lot of factors

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by Babbyad: 12:35pm On Mar 17
How can you be of help with working remotely?
Please.
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 12:42pm On Mar 17
jeyselassie:
customs duty and a lot of factors
how much is custom duty for a 2015 SUV?
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by kestolove95(m): 1:34pm On Mar 17
I bought my own last year December for #850, 000...its a jincheng product
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 12:25pm On Mar 18
kestolove95:
I bought my own last year December for #850, 000...its a jincheng product
nawaoo
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by valarinz: 2:45pm On Mar 18
Babbyad:
How can you be of help with working remotely?
Please.

This is precisely the aim of this thread and absolutely nothing to do with what the topic entails

More time and details was spent on advertising the OP's income and job type than talking about car prices

He needs people to start doing DM most likely and it will lead to wherever he's prepared it to lead to

Or, by a long shot, it's just the typical African man show off

Everyone is a billionaire on NL sha, let's not forget✌🏿

Stay safe

15 Likes

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by Babbyad: 3:26pm On Mar 18
Hmmm.
Wise man.
Thank you...
valarinz:

This is precisely the aim of this thread and absolutely nothing to do with what the topic entails

More time and details was spent on advertising the OP income and job type than talking about car prices

He needs people to start doing DM most likely and it will lead to wherever he's prepared it to lead to

Stay safe

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 4:07pm On Mar 18
Import duty is about 100% if anyone tells you otherwise you are about to enter one chance.

They will tell you it is less than that, but once your vehicle enters port then it will become a different story of situational excuses.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by Babatundehy: 7:58am On Mar 19
Lol, any remote worker knows what's happening in the country and beyond, even as your lies and scheme are obvious from the post, I think I must advice any gullible nairalander to avoid falling prey to this poorly worded trick πŸ˜‚
No remote worker alive or dead earns 10,000 dollars a month, I have been in this world since 2017 and I know how it runs, I have friends with Microsoft in Lagos lol, and their salaries are Nigerian/African standard even as they work on site and not remotely, +-2kusd.
Even in these countries (USA/UK/Canada) how many graduate/skilled onsite workers earn 10000 a month, cross the 100k usd a year anywhere in the world and you're Ineligible for any government subsidy, grant or help, that's because you're well off πŸ˜‚
After the tech boom of late 2019 through early 2021, It's been downhill, layoffs (on-site and remote), paycuts, and fewer jobs, my earnings have suffered a lot and been dwindling every year since 2019, my earnings only make a little sense in Nigeria as the exchange rate is currently terrible, if I told you in USD only a few people would be moved.
To those thinking about this liar's post, forget and trash it, doesn't matter what skill or experience you have, it's impossible.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by samsard(m): 8:09am On Mar 19
Babatundehy:
Lol, any remote worker knows what's happening in the country and beyond, even as your lies and scheme are obvious from the post, I think I must advice any gullible nairalander to avoid falling prey to this poorly worded trick πŸ˜‚
No remote worker alive or dead earns 10,000 dollars a month, I have been in this world since 2017 and I know how it runs, I have friends with Microsoft in Lagos lol, and their salaries are Nigerian/African standard even as they work on site and not remotely, +-2kusd.
Even in these countries (USA/UK/Canada) how many graduate/skilled onsite workers earn 10000 a month, cross the 100k usd a year anywhere in the world and you're Ineligible for any government subsidy, grant or help, that's because you're well off πŸ˜‚
After the tech boom of late 2019 through early 2021, It's been downhill, layoffs (on-site and remote), paycuts, and fewer jobs, my earnings have suffered a lot and been dwindling every year since 2019, my earnings only make a little sense in Nigeria as the exchange rate is currently terrible, if I told you in USD only a few people would be moved.
To those thinking about this liar's post, forget and trash it, doesn't matter what skill or experience you have, it's impossible.
I know someone doing just a little under $5k/month. So, as much as it may be hard, I won't go so far as to say it's absolutely impossible.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by PEACE2023: 8:44am On Mar 19
sultaan:
Import duty is about 100% if anyone tells you otherwise you are about to enter one chance.

They will tell you it is less than that, but once your vehicle enters port then it will become a different story of situational excuses.
Truth.
My friend in the USA wants to buy Tesla model 3 for someone in Nigeria. The buy now price was $10k.
Towing is $400
Shipping $1500
Everything is set until we contacted a clearing agent. He made enquiries and inform us that it will cost 37M to clear the 2022 Tesla model 3.
We discontinued the deal immediately.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:05am On Mar 19
2015 GLK landing cost should be about 16m now.
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by searchng4love: 9:46am On Mar 19
HeavenlyBang:
2015 GLK landing cost should be about 16m now.
We are not talking about your rust bucket jalopies here
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by searchng4love: 9:47am On Mar 19
TheOldGods:

Scam artist

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by KIAandHYUNDAI: 11:21am On Mar 19
searchng4love:

Scam artist
Really??
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 2:35pm On Mar 19
valarinz:

More time and details was spent on advertising the OP income and job type than talking about car prices

Stay safe
believe whatever you want. It's a free world, last thing I have is time.
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 2:40pm On Mar 19
Babatundehy:
normally I won't respond to you, but the problem with broke minds, is they think everyone is suddenly dull and broke like them. Dude, people are rich. And just to help you on how you can make such a thing. I'm a motion designer working with 2 clients and an agency. I make about $5k a month from the agency, the two clients whom I handle their social media account by editing and repurposing their videos using motion design pay 2500, and 3000, respectively. Add them all up and how much do you have. And here is the type of videos I do and this particular Instagram is my client. And he is a multi millionaire https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OMLOsKQWv/?igsh=MTh6NGtubnFpc2lmaw==
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 2:42pm On Mar 19
samsard:
I know someone doing just a little under $5k/month. So, as much as it may be hard, I won't go so far as to say it's absolutely impossible.
you don't need to answer, I've already helped him and showed him what I do and my client. I am not here to teach anyone, but to rant about the high cost of cars.
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by Babatundehy: 5:02pm On Mar 19
TheOldGods:
normally I won't respond to you, but the problem with broke minds, is they think everyone is suddenly dull and broke like them. Dude, people are rich. And just to help you on how you can make such a thing. I'm a motion designer working with 2 clients and an agency. I make about $5k a month from the agency, the two clients whom I handle their social media account by editing and repurposing their videos using motion design pay 2500, and 3000, respectively. Add them all up and how much do you have. And here is the type of videos I do and this particular Instagram is my client. And he is a multi millionaire https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OMLOsKQWv/?igsh=MTh6NGtubnFpc2lmaw==

Someone has commented on this post of yours what your actual aim is.
This link you provided tilts this whole talk in the direction of that commenter's understanding of your post.
I won't respond to any words from your rich techy mind anymore, let those who read discern for themselves, but I'll still say just as is, the link provided is a dent to your claims (it doesn't take a Solomon to figure this), and again, do not be quick to call anyone broke, it's an online forum and you really do not know anyone in person, do not damage the arguments by stooping to unfounded assumptions or unnecessary insults, show convincing facts so those who read this today or someday in the future can learn a thing or more.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 5:27pm On Mar 19
Babatundehy:

Someone has commented on this post of yours what your actual aim is.
This link you provided tilts this whole talk in the direction of that commenter's understanding of your post.
I won't respond to any words from your rich techy mind anymore, let those who read discern for themselves, but I'll still say just as is, the link provided is a dent to your claims (it doesn't take a Solomon to figure this), and again, do not be quick to call anyone broke, it's an online forum and you really do not know anyone in person, do not damage the arguments by stooping to unfounded assumptions or unnecessary insults, show convincing facts so those who read this today or someday in the future can learn a thing or more.
who be this one grin grin. Abeg shift
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by Babatundehy: 8:47pm On Mar 19
TheOldGods:
who be this one grin grin. Abeg shift
πŸ˜‚πŸ€žπŸΎβœŒπŸΎ
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by valarinz: 9:19pm On Mar 19
TheOldGods:

If anyone had any doubts about my initial post, here is a reinforcement of what I already suspected earlier

There's no doubt at this juncture the intent of the OP with this thread. It's simply a ruse to draw in unsuspecting victims to his dm. Most people will like to also learn how to earn their own $10k a month doing "motion designing" or whatever grin grin grin

Wonders will never cease, we have a multi millionaire who works for multi billionaire clients who sees a need to open a thread on NL to rant about cost of 2015 GLK

grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 9:26pm On Mar 19
But why are cars really expensive
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by Babatundehy: 11:05pm On Mar 19
TheOldGods:
But why are cars really expensive
The answers are everywhere fellow nairalander, first is the Nigerian government is trampling on the poor masses, milking them of their hard earned money under the guise of discouraging the importation of used and old cars by imposing very high duties, these are the same people buying Prados.
The nation's economy is in shambles, keeps getting worse year after year, a trend we have known in Nigeria is the previous year being better than the current, prosperity of the masses wise, the naira lost over 60 percent of its value within a very short time, those who were saving money to buy a certain foreign used car can no longer buy the Nigerian used of the same car, they lost money while saving it (the ones who saved in naira).
The naira is near useless, 20+ year old cars selling for 6 million naira, a shame on the currency and those in charge right? a 1.5hp air conditioner selling for over 500k smh, these things are basic things a working person should be able to afford after some time but the way things are, one might retire (the Nigerian salary structure) and never know what an air conditioner feels like or how to use a car seat belt lol.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 5:47am On Mar 22
Nigeria is basically in the choke hold of a few folks making so much money by declaring every normal.

When central bank decided they were not going to supply dollar to those who requested it for 43 items, other declare it as been banned and they made a lot of money charging those importing it as smugglers.

Until a couple of days ago that they were told to return seized food stuff.

No sane businessman will use the Nigerian port if they have another choice.

The federal institution has made it almost every action illegal, that is why you have to bribe a government official for everything you do.

That system must be broken before, people must be free to trade and move goods around without fear and intimidation.

There has to be equity, the same rule that applies to Dangote must apply to everyone

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by cardoctor(m): 11:17am On Mar 22
Naija is still the cheapest in the whole of Africa to buy and own a car bro let me tell u.
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 2:19pm On Mar 23
cardoctor:
Naija is still the cheapest in the whole of Africa to buy and own a car bro let me tell u.

is it because of the price of the car ,or cost of fuel?
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by samsard(m): 4:36pm On Mar 23
sultaan:

is it because of the price of the car ,or cost of fuel?
The question was not directed at me, but my Kenyan friend says they're not allowed to import cars that are more than six years old. And fuel is significantly more expensive there, at least in dollar terms. I can't say for other African countries sha.
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by delkuf(m): 11:08am On Mar 24
searchng4love:

We are not talking about your rust bucket jalopies here
guy is not fair oooo. Haaaa na blood dey him body too
Re: Why Are Cars So Expensive In Nigeria by TheOldGods: 11:03pm On Mar 25
Hmm

(1) (Reply)

Common Mistakes Nigeria Drivers Make / Download: The New Lagos Traffic Law. / Pls Kindly Advice On My Toyota Camry 2.4 V6 2002 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.