Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,929 members, 7,810,583 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach (23921 Views)

Xpressverify Has Access To Nigerians’ NIN, Data & Is Making Money From It / FG To Disconnect SIM Cards Not Synchronised With National ID Number / FG To Investigate Truecaller For Breaching Privacy Rights Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:24pm On Mar 17
They quickly took down the site
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Lemos14: 9:31pm On Mar 17
This is why all this while I've been reluctant to link nin Nigerian government has never had common sense....they disturbed me sotey...now I've linked it they cant protect my own data. Am I surprised? No. Awon olodo

1 Like

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by greggng: 9:35pm On Mar 17
CelestineNelson:
However, XpressVerify is not one of the Commission's licensed partners...Tor una don here

The big question is who are the license partners?why are they hidden in secrecy ?

2 Likes

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by joseph1832(m): 9:43pm On Mar 17
Police story. Bunch of jokers.

I know nothing will come out of this. This is how they harvest people's data and use it for their nefarious activity.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Atarakpa: 9:47pm On Mar 17
First thing to do is to arrest isa patami.

3 Likes

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Neoteny(m): 9:49pm On Mar 17
MT:
This means there are no technical people who are competent at NIMC.

How did XpressVerify API interface with the national data which suppose to require authentication and authorization before access will be allowed.

Only God knows what they have been able to do with people's data.

Head suppose to roll with NIMC technical drivers and hard questions need to be asked.

Competent hands and robust infrastructure suppose to man sensitive data as such. I am so scared there would have been lot of identity thefts already

1. They could use an existing valid API auth from a bona fide licensee and piggyback their own app on it. Most likely scenario

2. MITM attack, if the NIMC security is not robust. Less likely but quite possible

3. Internal agents via social engineering or outright compromise...very common
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Racoon(m): 9:54pm On Mar 17
Isah Pantami did his own idiocy and now this again. Imagine people sensitive information in the disposal of unauthorised persons.

1 Like

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by jamess32: 9:57pm On Mar 17
This is not new, xpressverify is a go to website for Nin verification and they've been in operation for a while.

1 Like

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by MT: 10:10pm On Mar 17
Neoteny:

1. They could use an existing valid API auth from a bona fide licensee and piggyback their own app on it. Most likely scenario

2. MITM attack, if the NIMC security is not robust. Less likely but quite possible

3. Internal agents via social engineering or outright compromise...very common

1. I doubt the fact that a bona fide licensee can share the authentication credentials with them knowing fully well they are competitors.

2. I doubt that MITM attack can be responsible as the credentials are encrypted over the wire, and if it is tampered with, the authentication will not go through.

3. The credentials (especially the key) on prod environments are always known to one or two persons. They need to conduct rigrorous investigation to pin it on someone

1 Like

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by GenFunction: 10:15pm On Mar 17
NIMC i no wan hear peem o.We don use am link things as una force us do.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by SporaD8: 10:38pm On Mar 17
No Breach anywhere, this is a deliberate act pure and simple!!!
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by bitbillionaire: 10:41pm On Mar 17
After taking my time to read this post, this is what I have noticed:

Director general of NIMC - YORUBA

National Commissioner, Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) - YORUBA

Minister of Communication and digital economy- YORUBA

My conclusion: nothing good could have come out of this type of reckless yorubanisation of the agencies, Parastatals and ministry that are in charge of our national identity database and I am not expecting anything positive to come out of the so called 'investigation' because na them them.

The 'unauthorized' NIN data access is unforgivable as it exposes the extreme lackadaisical attitude of the people managing it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by kalu01(m): 10:42pm On Mar 17
angry grin grin grin
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by RealEmilokan: 10:58pm On Mar 17
... and wish to assure Nigerians and legal residents that there is no data breach of any sort and the Citizens' data is safe and secure in the Nigeria's National identity database.

Believe this statement at your own peril.

1 Like

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by adams123: 10:59pm On Mar 17
yesloaded:
this is a very big shame to NIMC

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by emmyN(m): 11:42pm On Mar 17
Retards. In one breathe they are saying xpressverify is not one of their licensed partners, in another they are saying no data breach and citizens records are safe. How then does xpressverify have access to our data?

Nigeria is such a joke. The more you read the news, the more angry you get.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by airsaylongcome: 11:53pm On Mar 17
RealEmilokan:
... and wish to assure Nigerians and legal residents that there is no data breach of any sort and the Citizens' data is safe and secure in the Nigeria's National identity database.

Believe this statement at your own peril.

That part of their statement is the most useless piece of write up. Person don dey "verify" NIN without their knowledge and they say there was "no data breach"? If that wasn't a data breach then I want to know their definition of a breach.

2 Likes

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by youngrichnigga: 12:15am On Mar 18
The Pantami stench keeps smelling all over the place......., I said it, we paid humongous millions and trillions for student database project that's hosted on unsecured servers etc undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by hemarnuael: 12:41am On Mar 18
easyfem:
Seriously I don’t have prblm with all Dix thing but as tinubu is doing this now , someone will just come after 7 years and change to his own personal pattern , just like buari close border , tinubu open it , this means all the suffer common man suffer all Dix year doesn’t yield anything meaningful .
Who tell u say Tinubu don open border?
He only opened Niger land border which he closed due to the coup that happened
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by ManOfSon: 1:51am On Mar 18
Why would the Nigerian politicians in power allow this? Someone's date of birth may not be very useful in the Nigerian context. But in the diaspora, that's usually the first step to take in stealing a person's identity which in turn usually leads to disastrous results. Is this NIN, which no one knows what it is useful for in Nigeria, really worth this type of risk to Nigerians in the diaspora who are merely trying to make a living in sometimes hostile conditions?
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by BluntCrazeMan: 2:03am On Mar 18
fergie001:

Earlier, the Minister of Communications, Innovation & Digital Economy, Bosun Tijani who was called out replied via X, that the NIMC was no longer under his Ministry.

However, Tijani hoped that the NIMC will work with the Nigeria Data Protection Commission to investigate the matter.

It can be recalled that the Bola Tinubu-led administration in September 2023 moved the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to the Ministry of Interior.

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/8032809/xpressverify-access-nigerians-nin-data#128970590
The minister for interior should start responding immediately.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by ComeToJesus: 2:25am On Mar 18
Naija: the most unserious nation on planet earth.

1 Like

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Doobie: 5:34am On Mar 18
A data breach is a risk for any company, regardless of its robust security measures. Even tech giant Google, which recently settled for $350 million due to a security flaw in its defunct Google Plus social media platform, demonstrates this vulnerability, as the glitch exposed millions of users' data to outside developers. So it's very crucial for both companies and individuals to take all necessary precautions against such breaches, as public data leaks are a serious matter.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by linearity: 5:36am On Mar 18
A data breach is defined as when an unauthorized person or entity gained access to secured data…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_breach

Here NIMC just told us that XpressVerify who gained access to their secured data is not one of their Authorized agents but still NIMC has concluded that there is no data breach….🤔

Though there is no ‘data breach’ as you have concluded but you told us that you are ‘investigating’. If you have already concluded that there is no data breach, what are you investigating? 💬🧐🙇‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🫤😕

2 Likes

Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by mrdino(m): 5:52am On Mar 18
Recall that in their haste to frustrate the masses, the FG engaged 3rd parties (e.g, GSM service providers like MTN) in enrollment of NIN, so I am not surprised that this is happening now.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Druss(m): 6:19am On Mar 18
They can arrest Binance over flimsy excuses anyone can see through. Here is a proper cyber crime. I fully expect some arrests over this. This is a violation of privacy.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Csteve9: 6:22am On Mar 18
This website has helped lots of people to get their premium NIN cards. The data you a trying to hide is all over your socials and other documents, a deep internet search will reveal basic things you are ranting about. Nigerians always trying to sound smart ontop every matter.

Xpressverify thanks for all you did. 😘
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Kukutente23: 6:31am On Mar 18
APC and incompetence

They still managed to bungle common NIN

From Pantami to the present looter

Instead of Pantami to use guys Gombe-made cybersecurity to take care of data security and integrity issues, he was busy chasing a superficial NIN-SIM linkage.

This website has been on since the time of Pantami's NIN-SIM linkage nonsense
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by bhella10: 6:40am On Mar 18
bitbillionaire:
After taking my time to read this post, this is what I have noticed:

Director general of NIMC - YORUBA

National Commissioner, Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) - YORUBA

Minister of Communication and digital economy- YORUBA

My conclusion: nothing good could have come out of this type of reckless yorubanisation of the agencies, Parastatals and ministry that are in charge of our national identity database and I am not expecting anything positive to come out of the so called 'investigation' because na them them.

The 'unauthorized' NIN data access is unforgivable as it exposes the extreme lackadaisical attitude of the people managing it.
All you can do is shout Yorubanization all year round. Yoruba owns your ass for another 7+ years. We must collect your data.
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Rolings: 7:05am On Mar 18
MT:
This means there are no technical people who are competent at NIMC.

How did XpressVerify API interface with the national data which suppose to require authentication and authorization before access will be allowed.

Only God knows what they have been able to do with people's data.

Head suppose to roll with NIMC technical drivers and hard questions need to be asked.

Competent hands and robust infrastructure suppose to man sensitive data as such. I am so scared there would have been lot of identity thefts already
The breach could be from one of the licenced vendors
Make una dey calm down
Re: XpressVerify's Access To Nigerians' NIN, Data: FG To Investigate Breach by Kukutente23: 7:05am On Mar 18
Csteve9:
This website has helped lots of people to get their premium NIN cards. The data you a trying to hide is all over your socials and other documents, a deep internet search will reveal basic things you are ranting about. Nigerians always trying to sound smart ontop every matter.

Xpressverify thanks for all you did. 😘
I guess you're one of the operators of the site

Wait till govt catches you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

iPhone 5S & iPhone 5C Event - Live Update / Which Mobile Phone Do You Have? / Mtn Night Browsing Plan N2500 Now Working Perfectly At 24hours

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.