Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,582 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 (14707 Views)

Senate Passes Bills Establishing 3 Universities / Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy / Senate Passes Bills To Establish City University, Auchi; Maritime University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by politicoNG: 3:53pm On Mar 20
The Senate has recently approved the Student Loans Access to Higher Education Act (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill of 2024.

This decision came after careful consideration of the report presented by Senator Mohammed Muntari, representing Katsina South and Chairman of the Committee on Tertiary Institutions and Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).

Last week, the bill successfully passed its second reading, following a letter from President Bola Tinubu urging the Senate and the House of Representatives to repeal the existing Student Loan (Access to Higher Education) Bill and introduce a new one.

The new act aims to streamline the implementation of the Higher Education Student Loan Scheme, addressing various challenges such as the management structure of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELF), eligibility criteria for applicants, loan purposes, funding sources, and procedures for disbursement and repayment.

Tinubu’s request came after the announcement of a temporary suspension of the student loan system, which was intended to provide Nigerian students in tertiary institutions with access to low-interest loans to support their studies.

In addition to this legislative action, a motion sponsored by Senator Adebule Oluranti representing Lagos West was debated, focusing on the urgent need to address the issue of out-of-school children in Nigeria.

During the debate, Senator Oluranti emphasized the necessity of significantly reducing the alarming number of out-of-school children, estimated at 20 million according to UNESCO statistics.

Other lawmakers, including Senator Oshiomhole, urged the Senate to compel relevant agencies to disclose the percentage of out-of-school children in each state. This would help identify defaulting state governments that have neglected their responsibility to prioritize education, thereby endangering the welfare of citizens.

In response to these concerns, the Senate passed a resolution directing the judiciary in all 36 states to establish mobile courts for the enforcement of the Universal Basic Education (UBE) Act.

Furthermore, the Senate mandated its education committee to collaborate with the Ministry of Education to develop strategies for reducing the number of out-of-school children. They set a two-year deadline for the implementation of the UBE Act, underscoring the importance of ensuring access to education for all Nigerian children.
https://tribuneonlineng.com/just-in-senate-passes-student-loan-act-2024/

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by bitbillionaire: 4:00pm On Mar 20
Good luck to the potential beneficiaries

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Morbeta11(m): 4:01pm On Mar 20
Good....I really respect Oshiomhole's contributions as a Senator.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by SultanOfAbia: 4:01pm On Mar 20
As a yahoo boy, I love Nigerian Senators,
I feel like we have so much in common

Whenever I see how these men scam Nigerians on a daily. It motivates me to bill my clients more and more..

Infact, I will go into politics, because yahoo boy and a senator are the same.
I really pray I become a senator
I will loot the whole country, Abacha sef go shock grin grin

Edit:

For those attacking me, calling me names
Senators are busy allocating 400 billion for renovation of 40 schools without any address or proof of existence.

Yahoo Men are eating your destiny in billions
But you are worried about a Yahoo boy??

As long as Yahoo Men keep looting.
Yahoo boys will keep billing. 50-50

No vex bros
We dey follow footsteps of our Elders.

45 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Forest122: 4:01pm On Mar 20
Good nice one up jagaban

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Yalwayzme: 4:01pm On Mar 20
Really
Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Didamszeb(m): 4:01pm On Mar 20
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:01pm On Mar 20
A good development.

First time in the history of our darling nation.

Slow and steady we will get to the nation of our dreams,
A land flowing with milk and honey.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬.

We Rise.

52 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by meum: 4:02pm On Mar 20
Which one was signed that first time?
Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by richard870(m): 4:02pm On Mar 20
Everything about these guys revolves around loans just to siphone public funds.....smh

To all those who mentioned me with insults, especially MANNA...its either you all have zero intuition to decipher a ruse or you guys are simply paid to launder images of these corrupt political cr00ks

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by lalabrother: 4:02pm On Mar 20
This is good news!!!

Hope they will not embezzle the funds for this scheme.

Kudos 🎉
Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by allstarfestus: 4:02pm On Mar 20
Good nice one

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Itiskdg121(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20
At last. A very good news

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by GOFRONT(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20
Good one
Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by id4sho(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20
Good one tongue
E remain
*State police/neighborhood watch/rural watch
*Local government autonomy
*Judiciary autonomy
*Resource control
*Execution of Terrorists/bandits/freedom fighters

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:03pm On Mar 20
This is a very good way to go.....

Enemies of the nation that never pray to see any good things in their frustrated and hateful life will still wail.
Nothing in life make them happy.
Miserable souls.

God bless all good, honest and hardworking Nigerians out there.

If this post hit you like a bazooka,
Search your life to see if you are moving forward or stagnant in your hatred.
Shame to all enemies of our darling country, no matter what part of the country y'all from.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by olaiya2007(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20
Bravo

2 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by rinzaugustine: 4:04pm On Mar 20
Where will the money to fund it come from because I have not seen any money allocated before the Act was passed. I hope it doesn’t end up as tissue paper like other Acts before it like one that mandates doctors to treat gunshot victims before police report had not been implemented in any Nigerian hospital till date and most recently the electoral act of 2022 which made mandatory electronic voting and transmission of results compulsory but as we all know Mahmoud not only broke that law but treated it like tissue paper thrown into a latrine and nothing happened, in fact appeal and supreme courts sealed the illegality by opining that it’s it not mandatory to follow acts /laws made by National Assembly the legislative body entrusted by the constitution to make laws for the country…smh..so to a discerning observer, all these is for tinubu to buy time and give his Agbado supporters hope where there is none and continue in his cluelessness and abysmal failure

4 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Yankee101: 4:04pm On Mar 20
Please pay students
immediately

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Keegan: 4:05pm On Mar 20
Good news.
Enemies of the state will still have something negative to say.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:05pm On Mar 20
richard870:
Everything about these guys revolves around loans just to siphone public funds.....smh
Shaking our head(s)!!
Illiteracy is not a disease,
It is something worse.

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by tefishy(m): 4:06pm On Mar 20
tongue It's time for gbese powered by emilokan
Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:06pm On Mar 20
Keegan:
Good news.
Enemies of the land will still have something negative to say.
You know those frustrated swines too much.
They abound all over the country,
In all tribes.
Shame to them all.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by socialmediaman: 4:07pm On Mar 20
Our job as citizens is to hold government accountable

Knowing that this same government announced the removal of fuel subsidy while still paying subsidy till date, we have to observe this act closely until it is implemented and students can access the loans

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:07pm On Mar 20
SultanOfAbia:

Whenever I see how these men scam Nigerians on a daily. It motivates me to bill my clients more and more..

Gibberish and out of point totally.
Nothing to contribute to the good topic.
But just ranting bla bla bla.....

Gibberish

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by alfredo4u(m): 4:08pm On Mar 20
I pray it cut across the poor and the rich...

Nice one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by sofeo(m): 4:09pm On Mar 20
Alright.
Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Bitterkolatea4: 4:09pm On Mar 20
SultanOfAbia:

kids, you guys should just better remain in romance section please.
All these ones na only iTunes card dem dey fit collect o.
Come online dey say "as a yahoo boy"

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by BreconHills(m): 4:10pm On Mar 20
richard870:

Do you understand what you just read? Did you even read it at all?

9 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by Megabig: 4:10pm On Mar 20
A country without a real database, this is another looting spree

4 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Student Loan Act 2024 by courage89(m): 4:10pm On Mar 20
This is good news. The first step in a long success journey is to know where you’re going, 2nd is to design how to get there and identify challenges that might arise along the way, 3rd is to start. I give kudos to the administration for the vision, for being receptive to public opinion to amend the initial draft, and for having the political will to start.

More work still needs to be done to fine tune the design to ensure it is consistent, less corruptible, stand the test of time and becomes our culture/ way of life. Ensure accountability and transparency in the process of student selection, funds award, repayment process and planning and others.

Hopefully, this will reduce the continuous strikes that pervades our educational system, and has made it difficult for our younger generations to get quality education.

10 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Registration For University Of Ilorin Post Jamb Is Out / Nigeria At 61: How The Number Of Universities Grew From Pre-independence To Date / Ezinne Favour Ogwuegbu Graduates From Eastern Mediterranean University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.