Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,824 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts (13162 Views)

Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment: Museveni Signs Bill Criminalising LGBTQ+ / Oklahoma Passes Bill Banning Abortions Starting At Fertilisation / Iran Is A MONTH Away From Having Enough Lethal Uranium To Build Nuclear Bomb(Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by fergie001: 7:47am On Mar 26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuSXZSJ6qdY
The bill is expected to face legal challenges

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill on Monday that will prohibit children younger than 14 from joining social media in the state. Those who are 14 or 15 will need a parent’s consent before they join a platform.

The bill, HB3, also directs social media companies to delete the existing accounts of those who are under 14. Companies that fail to do so could be sued on behalf of the child who creates an account on the platform. The minor could be awarded up to $10,000 in damages, according to the bill. Companies found to be in violation of the law would also be liable for up to $50,000 per violation, as well as attorney’s fees and court costs.

“Ultimately, [we’re] trying to help parents navigate this very difficult terrain that we have now with raising kids, and so I appreciate the work that’s been put in,” DeSantis said in remarks during the bill-signing ceremony.

DeSantis previously vetoed a more restrictive version of the bill that would have banned social media accounts for kids under 16. That bill also required Florida residents to submit an ID or other identifying materials in order to join social media.

HB3, which is slated to take effect in January 2025, comes as efforts to regulate social media continue to ramp up across the U.S. amid concerns from some parents that the platforms don’t do enough to keep their kids safe online.

In December, more than 200 organizations sent a letter urging Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., to schedule a vote on the Kids Online Safety Act, or KOSA, which seeks to create liability, or a “duty of care,” for apps and online platforms that recommend content to minors that can negatively affect their mental health.

In January, lawmakers grilled CEOs from TikTok, X and Meta about online child safety. The tech executives reaffirmed their commitment to child safety, and pointed to various tools they offer as examples of how they are proactive about preventing exploitation online.

Florida House Speaker Paul Renner and other advocates of the new law argue that social media use can harm children’s mental health and can lead to sexual predators communicating with minors.

"None of us can afford to be on the sidelines when it comes to social media," Renner said in remarks made at the bill signing.

Several states that have enacted similar laws to limit teen social media — including Ohio and Arkansas — have been challenged by NetChoice LLC, a coalition of social media platforms whose members include Meta, Google and X, among others.

SOURCE

59 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by God1000(m): 7:48am On Mar 26
I support the bill, we've all seen the negative effect of early exposure of children to social media, so many of them learn all the wrong things from social media.

135 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by MMWandali: 7:49am On Mar 26
Definitely going to be resisted though it's a good thing

Kids should face their studies and future

75 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by Thundafireseun: 7:51am On Mar 26

it’s sincerely getting harder to raise kids this days…. Asaba Delta state is getting out of control

Anything to help control kids is sincerely a welcome idea ….I wish Nigeria could take steps towards controlling kids and even useless teenagers

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by immortalcrown(m): 7:52am On Mar 26
Very good. Nigerian government will see this now but will wait for the next 50 years before trying to replicate it. And by the time the Nigerian government tries to replicate it, irrational Nigerians will kick against it. I remember the reactions from the rational Nigerians when there was a proposal for social media regulation. Those irrational Nigerians concluded that the proposed regulation of social media means no freedom of speech.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by advanceDNA: 8:03am On Mar 26
I'm curious...how will it be implemented.....will pple now use their birth certificate or birth registration number to create an account....

Abi it's the usual nonsense "confirm you are age 15 and above to continue"...

16 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by chatinent: 8:13am On Mar 26
Who go carry belle go still carry belle

5 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by Skillsnigeria: 8:14am On Mar 26
Okay
Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by tofolo(m): 8:14am On Mar 26
advanceDNA:
I'm curious...how will it be implemented.....will pple now use their birth certificate or birth registration number to create an account....

when someone can even open in proxy for them

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:14am On Mar 26
This happened in Florida. If a Governor here tries it Nigerians will come for his head.
Reminds me of my Church Choir mistress daughter of about 11 years of age created her Facebook page and account and made a friend request. I declined the request immediately only to see Pastors, workers other adults accept their own. These are people that ought to advise her parent who were also included in her friends list but kept mute as if it's no big deal.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by adioolayi(m): 8:15am On Mar 26
Very good

2 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by bigdammyj: 8:15am On Mar 26
Good move.

1 Like

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by SweetDipBenny(m): 8:15am On Mar 26
Good 👍

1 Like

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by lexy2014: 8:15am On Mar 26
very good bill. I was hoping this guy will be the US president so that he can reset their brain a little

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by Tunde8080: 8:15am On Mar 26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sksODuObHYE?si=ysHfq0pSIGShS1U2

So few years ago, a male neighbor of mine had the beautiful chocolate skinned girl he was dating.

The girl was a pure definition of beauty, moderate ass, sizable boobs, flat tommy and a magical smile. There was nothing else Emeka my neighbor looked for in a woman that wasn't in his woman Angela. When ever she comes to visit him, we his neighbour stares in excitement. They have been dating for 4years. In his words, She was his type of woman.

But everything changed when Emeka met this chubby girl in his friends wedding. He started to get to know her. It was on like Emeka, because since his history he hasn't dated a chubby girl before, he just don't like them and the chubbiness of this particular girl was a bit more, but Emeka didn't mind.

After few months of Emeka getting to know this new girl Chioma. He told me that he was ready to get married. That he has finally found what he was looking for. I asked him what about Angela. In his words he said Angela will be alright.

3 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by thaoriginator: 8:15am On Mar 26
cool

1 Like

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by oses4u(m): 8:15am On Mar 26
Rather than banning Tik Tok this is a better step in the right direction.

4 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by Praying4Nigeria: 8:15am On Mar 26
Cool.

2 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by id4sho(m): 8:16am On Mar 26
tongue

1 Like

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by opalu: 8:16am On Mar 26
Nice

1 Like

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by lincsnuel: 8:16am On Mar 26
This is a catch 22 situation.

The government is probably trying to reduce growing paedophilia in America but this could also limit kid's access to technology.

3 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by lexy2014: 8:16am On Mar 26
advanceDNA:

how do they catch child predators on the internet?

1 Like

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by ITbomb(m): 8:16am On Mar 26
Lawyers will now chop from arguing how to identify an account for below 14

A 9 years old will select 20 years and click consent agreement

5 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by TriCee: 8:17am On Mar 26
That's a good one. But na the parents dey give these kids phone and even open accounts for them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by Rejoice28(f): 8:17am On Mar 26
Very commendable

Friends Jesus Christ loves y'all and he want you to accept him as your personal lord and saviour by giving your life to Christ, believing in him and repenting of your sins.remember tomorrow might be too late. Shalom

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by fawaz050(m): 8:17am On Mar 26
I thought the US was supposed to be highly democratized. Thank God, una sef don dey wise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by lexy2014: 8:17am On Mar 26
chatinent:
Who go carry belle go still carry belle

is the purpose of the bill to prevent belle?

3 Likes

Re: Florida Gov, De Santis Signs Bill Banning Kids Under 14 From Having SM Accounts by iamoyindamola(m): 8:17am On Mar 26
This is actually good, at least keep them from online predators

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

North Korea Launches Ballistic Missile, South Korea Says / Who Knows How Nigeria International Drivers' Licence Looks Like? / Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.