Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps (7743 Views)

Akin Alabi Moves Motion To Stop Harassment By Online Loan Providers / Wike Orders Auction Of Adamawa Trucks, Cattle For Breach Of PHC Lockdown / EFCC Probes Ortom, Benue Lawmakers, Perm Secs, Others For Alleged N23.08b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by adenigga(m): 10:47am On Mar 28
The Nigeria Data Protection Commission has said it is investigating over 400 cases of privacy breaches involving online loan apps.

Cases of data privacy breaches have become prevalent in recent times due to the proliferation of digital lending platforms.

The commission made this known in its 2023 Annual Report made available to The PUNCH on Thursday.

It noted that its ongoing investigations have revealed that “loan apps are overly intrusive.”

NDPC is also seeking a ban or restriction on mobile numbers found to have been used by lenders to breach the privacy of their customers.

“They generally violate the principles of Data Protection and Privacy because they have access to contacts, pictures, messages, etc. of data subjects,” the commission stated.

This indicated that despite an April 2023 policy introduced by Google banning loan apps from accessing photos and contacts of users, the practice has continued.

Acknowledging that privacy breaches by loan apps are a systemic problem, the commission said it is also adopting a systemic solution by working with other regulators and third-party platforms being used by the lenders.

A user of a loan app, Haruna Michael, who spoke to our correspondent on Thursday, said that one of the digital lenders used his photos and tagged him as a fleeing criminal because he defaulted in paying the loan he received within the stipulated time.

He said his contacts were reached and he was reported as a fraudster.

“Over 400 cases of privacy breaches involving shadowy loan sharks are being addressed at the systemic level.

“The commission has now drafted the Nigeria Data Protection Act-General Application and Implementation Directive which addresses the abetment of data breaches, the need for data ethics and privacy by design and by default among others.

“Under abetment, the third-party platforms through which data privacy breaches take place will now be required to deny access to those who use their platforms for privacy breaches.

[i]“Organisations, particularly communication networks should be willing to restrict or ban telephone lines that are implicated in privacy violations,” the commission said.[/i]

The NDPC added that it is also collaborating with regulators under the Joint Enforcement and Regulatory Taskforce to sanitise the digital lending space.

It noted that the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission now requires lending companies to obtain data protection clearance from NDPC before operation.
Source: https://punchng.com/Commission-probes-400-cases-of-privacy-breach-in-online-loan-apps

1 Share

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by davidtemi(m): 1:47pm On Mar 28
As fast as possible

My first ever FTC since 2019.
Is there any gain in it? If yes @seun & co please kindly do the needful. Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by 9jabox(m): 1:47pm On Mar 28
Hmmmm
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by NLKing01: 1:48pm On Mar 28
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by maj59(m): 1:50pm On Mar 28
First close
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Semil(m): 1:50pm On Mar 28
Most of them are criminals

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by predictor1: 1:50pm On Mar 28
Do people still take money from them? I don't even know they still exist. Their business must have gone down seriously.

12 Likes

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Obyangel: 1:50pm On Mar 28
Oni gbeses (debtors) will be happy in this development.

My neighbor was label rapist and pedophilic old idiot and later a kidnapper

2 Likes

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by BlackyOne: 1:52pm On Mar 28
They already have your pictures from KYC selfie, they even have access to your private messages, and this is wrong

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by twilliamx(m): 1:52pm On Mar 28
Nice

1 Like

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Dagger111(m): 1:55pm On Mar 28
BlackyOne:
They already have your pictures from KYC selfie, they even have access to your private messages, and this is wrong

Access to one's personal messages?

17 Likes

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by henrycloud: 1:57pm On Mar 28
jj
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by parkervero(m): 1:57pm On Mar 28
Same old story.

They are the same people that own those apps that's why they can not run after but they can run after yahoo boys

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by BlackyOne: 2:04pm On Mar 28
Dagger111:

Access to one's personal messages?

Yes, they have access to your personal messages (SMS)

1 Share

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Obierika(m): 2:07pm On Mar 28
I can't say i blame them in fact if I had my way I would adopt the same measure to recover my money from friends and relatives angry
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Kobicove(m): 2:08pm On Mar 28
Why did they even sack Gbenga Irukera? undecided

I thought he was doing a good job

1 Like

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by MrFollowFollow(m): 2:11pm On Mar 28
Nigerian borrowers need iron hand, if not you will loose your money!
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by MrFollowFollow(m): 2:13pm On Mar 28
Obyangel:
Oni gbeses (debtors) will be happy in this development.

My neighbor was label rapist and pedophilic old idiot and later a kidnapper

Tell that your neighbor to go and clear his debt grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Niok: 2:14pm On Mar 28
Cool
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Emman08: 2:20pm On Mar 28
About time. Those guys are basically loan sharks. I heard a sad story about one loan app posting the picture of a young lady saying she sleeps with dogs. Because she couldn't pay back 30,000.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Randal: 2:22pm On Mar 28
Long overdue

1 Like

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Passionate888: 2:22pm On Mar 28
grin

1 Like

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by seanery: 3:09pm On Mar 28
sigh
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by JasonNOTStatham: 3:19pm On Mar 28
They will rebrand their logo, design and name then come back on play store.

2 Likes

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by JasonNOTStatham: 3:21pm On Mar 28
FG did some thing about restrictions on "permission" to view contact.

The loan apps came back with "permission" to view "call logs" + "permission" to view "messages".
Of course, contact info can be found in call logs and messages.
Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Illegal1(m): 3:48pm On Mar 28
omoh.........those people show me shege,bt them later begin beg me to pay any amount i get..

i jst tell them to wait till i bcum the governor of my state

3 Likes

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by 96ACE: 3:54pm On Mar 28
Illegal1:
omoh.........those people show me shege,bt them later begin beg me to pay any amount i get..

i jst tell them to wait till ibcum the governor of my state

grin grin grin Them don jam their match

1 Like

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by Machinegun91(m): 3:55pm On Mar 28
I wanted to borrow 6k from fairemoney but the motherfuckers credited me 60k.

I pity their recovery method.

2 Likes

Re: Commission Probes 400 Cases Of Privacy Breach In Online Loan Apps by joepentwo(m): 4:20pm On Mar 28
Abeg check them i don suffer for this people hand

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Niger Delta Group Hails Tinubu Tinubu For Appointing Otuaro As Amnesty Boss / Becomrich Says When I Become President , Quote Me An Igbo Would Be President / Shocker For Jonathan As Crowd Walks Out At Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.