Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia (188 Views)

Gov Alia's Assets Recovery Committee recover Exotic Cars from Ortom's Property / Okowa Is An Ashawo Man - Delta State Pensioners Protest Non-Payment Of Pensions / Imo State Pensioners Protest On The Streets Over Non-Payment Of Pension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by hisexcellency34: 9:48am On Mar 30
Benue state governor, Hyacinth Alia says he met the state in a pitiable condition where pensioners were regarded as dead people.

He also said his predecessor, Samuel Ortom left behind a huge debt which is now hanging on his head.

Alia who stated this in an interview with reporters in Makurdi also said while he is not owing workers, he has been unable to offset the salary arrears owed by the Ortom administration.

“When I took over, I met the state in a pitiable condition. Pensioners were regarded as dead people; they were not remembered. Their entitlements were not paid for years. Local government teachers and the rest of the civil servants were nearly totally forgotten. My father was a local government teacher and I felt his pains when his entitlements were not given to him”.

“The state, since its creation, was just a glorified village. We didn’t even have light on the streets in the state capital. Our internal roads were minimally tarred. So many things were not just in place. Benue has more ghost schools and workers than the real ones. You come into the state capital, Makurdi, and it is like you come into a village. I felt there was a need for us to change that narrative”.

“Though we met a huge debt, we have been able to invest in health, roads, and some other infrastructure. Unfortunately, we have not been able to offset the arrears because it runs into hundreds of billions of naira. I cannot take care of that now, but what I have done is to take care of their salaries. Under my watch, our civil servants will not lose any of their salaries”.
https://worldviewafrica.com/pensioners-were-regarded-as-dead-people-in-benue-gov-alia/

1 Like

Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by helinues: 9:50am On Mar 30
Ortom had the guts to contest for senatorial seat after disastrous 8 years as Benue state governor. Good they have gotten ridden of him
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by bennybuhari: 9:51am On Mar 30
Ortom was busy following Wike about like a slave in the name of G-5. Wike has been appointed, where is Ortom today?
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by slimfit1(m): 10:01am On Mar 30
I don't know whether it's karma catching up with them . The days they didn't do everything right.
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by dododawa1: 10:02am On Mar 30
Can u imagining
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by nairavsdollars(f): 1:30pm On Mar 30
Who?
slimfit1:
I don't know whether it's karma catching up with them . The days they didn't do everything right.
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by slimfit1(m): 2:25pm On Mar 30
nairavsdollars:
Who?
look at the people in civil service now, nothing is working figure the rest out in 10years time.
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by Melagros(m): 2:58pm On Mar 30
COMRADES, it's like Ortom has under performed in Benue State when he was foolishly aligning with wike as G5 governors
Re: In Benue State, Pensioners Were Regarded As Dead People – Gov. Alia by christejames(m): 3:02pm On Mar 30
God bless you Fr...

But please take some of your developmental strides to the Idoma area of the state.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Appoints Caretaker Committees For States, LG, Ward Chapters / Akpabio To Antai: Attack Umo Eno Or Lose Nddc Position, Group / Nigerian Police Caught Lieing On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.