Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate (1813 Views)

Customs Increases FX Rate For Import Duties To ₦‎1,441/$ / Reasons Why Peter Obi's Popularity Is Spiking / Emefiele Handed CBN Control To Buhari Seven Years Ago, Ezekwesili Alleges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 1:15pm On Apr 01
About a month ago, the exchange rate of the Naira to the US Dollar, both on the official window and parallel markets, hovered around 1900 Naira per USD. Speculators were anticipating it to reach 2000 NGN/USD, which led to a daily increase in the rate, subsequently inflating prices. However, today, to the satisfaction of some and the dissatisfaction of others, the rate has stabilized around 1400 NGN/USD. What led to this stabilization? Was the Nigerian economy under attack by enemies of the state, and who saved it from impending chaos?

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and CBN governor Olayemi Cardoso have been praised for their "Jagaban-omics" intervention, which controlled the issue. Indeed, the combined intervention of the Federal Government and CBN achieved this current stability, but through what means? Should Nigerians feel secure or be wary of the current situation? Use the attached links for news references.

Initially, one month after assuming office, President Tinubu's government, through the CBN, carelessly floated the Naira by removing all policies and structures previously used to artificially set rates. This move meant that market forces would determine the Naira's true value.
(CBN Floats Naira
)

That is exactly what happened. The market forces were loud and clear that the currency is worth less than the value it was priced at and the Naira free-fall began. Why would the Federal Government float the currency without adequate analysis, planning, or investment to bolster the economy and the country's value? This decision was not surprising for a government that removed fuel subsidy in the inaugural speech.

The Federal Government and CBN who realised that the malnourished dog they brought to the dog fight has been beaten blue-black now decided to fight for their dog. "Malnourished dog" in the sense that, since 2022, accompanied by pre-existing weaknesses, the Nigerian economy had become highly unattractive to foreign investment. Negative FDI rates were recorded for the first time since 1995, several multinationals exited the country, and a substantial trade deficit was reported in Q4 2023. Nigeria was failing to attract sufficient foreign interest or money to withstand negative market pressure on the currency.
(Negative FDI)
(Multinationals dump Nigeria)
(Trade Deficit)

The Federal Government and the CBN made the following interventions in a bid to "fight for their dog":

1. They arrested Bureau De Change Operators using the EFCC and Police, turning businessmen transacting legal business into overnight criminals over alleged unfounded claims of sabotage.
(EFCC arrests BDCs).

2. The government launched a clampdown campaign against Binance, a foreign crypto exchange, resulting in the delisting of P2P markets for Naira on Binance and the controversial kidnap detention of Binance executives without charge.
(FG arrests Binance Execs.)

3. The most significant intervention involved going back to their vomit with the resumption of artificially fixing the FX rate. The CBN resumed selling the Dollar directly to select Bureau De Change operators below the prevailing market rate, which was discontinued in 2021. Understanding the influence of the parallel market, this intervention forced the rate down. The CBN maintains this artificial stability by selling $15m to BDCs weekly.
($15m per week.
)

The question arises again. Should Nigerians feel secure with temporary solutions that fail to address the underlying problem? The answer is a resounding NO. Instead of engaging in senseless propaganda of claiming this or that is a genius that conquered the market, Nigerians should demand accountability from their Government. What will happen when the government can no longer afford these artificial and temporary solutions? Dollar will skyrocket even more. Where does the dollar, sold every week at cheap prices, originate, and what is the actual cost to the country to maintain this fake lifestyle fake exchange rate? Has the government failed on its election promise to remove costly subsidies and increase spending on critical sectors like security, infrastructure, and education?

The truth will always outlast propaganda.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by JoeyNaza: 1:31pm On Apr 01
My pain is that the CBN might possibly be using the fresh dollars made from crude oil sales to fund this jamboree if not that, then it is loans.
Remember Tinubu told NNPCL to transfer all sales receipts to CBN. This same NNPC were making noise last year about re branding to better serve Nigeria and be more independent. Who is deceiving who in this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by CodeTemplar: 1:33pm On Apr 01
Selling to BDCs below current rates doesn't automatically mean Naira is being defended.
The govt has to sell low if they feel the Naira is undervalued and higher if otherwise.

The key is getting where(price value) the demand equals supply from govt and private sellers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 1:39pm On Apr 01
The government launched a clampdown campaign against Binance, a foreign crypto exchange

They arrested Bureau De Change Operators using the EFCC and Police

Are the above your real issue about Naira gaining strength as one of the operators bah?

Naira loosing to dollar una dey shout, naira gaining strength una too dey foam for mouth..

Na wah for some of you people oo

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by HopeUzodinma: 1:42pm On Apr 01
How long will this government continue this charade?

Dollar will exchange for #2500 when this nonsense finally ends..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 1:48pm On Apr 01
CodeTemplar:
Selling to BDCs below current rates doesn't automatically mean Naira is being defended.
The govt has to sell low if they feel the Naira is undervalued and higher if otherwise.

The key is getting where(price value) the demand equals supply from govt and private sellers.

The key to understand something is to reason about the intrinsic logic behind that stuff. You may not be familiar with geopolitics and currency manipulation so I wont hold it against you.

Ask yourself, why would the Nigerian government get hard currency from wherever and make a huge loss of over 400 Naira per dollar in selling to BDCs. If you trade stocks, forex etc, you will know that if a whale places a limit order at a very good price below or above current price, the market price will move to meet that order. In essence someone can not be offering me dollar at 1300 and I will go and buy for 1700, and if I want to sell the dollar, I will not sell dollar I bought at 1300 (even if I bought it 2k) for 1900 because competition will make my neighbour try to sell as cheap as possible. Right there, the government has artificially set the price at their own loss.

Do you know that China is a big currency manipulator. China manipulates their currency value to remain relatively low because they export a lot of products, if the Chinese currency takes it's true market value, it will become more expensive for foreigners to buy these Chinese products so their money will go to cheaper alternatives from India, Malaysia, Thailand or Vietnam. A good thing can cause harm.

Here we are manipulating currency to increase propaganda not productivity.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 1:49pm On Apr 01
More like some people have been in depression since Naira started regaining strength, their evil wishes are not coming close to pass hence panicking and teeth gnashing

12 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 1:50pm On Apr 01
helinues:
More like some people have been in depression since Naira started regaining strength, their evil wishes are not coming close to pass hence panicking and teeth gnashing

Some people like taking panadol for the fever instead of treating the Malaria once and for all. It's shameful.

South Korea has a worse exchange rate with Dollar than Naira, so why are we lossing money to defend artificial price to please people

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 1:54pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

Some people like taking panadol for the fever instead of treating the Malaria once and for all. It's shameful.

South Korea has a worse exchange rate with Dollar than Naira, so why are we lossing money to defend artificial price to please people

You guys don't have an idea about the effects of arresting terrorists sponsor, bdc operators hoarding dollars and the Binance which came to manipulate the rate by buying large dollar to cause scarcity.

Make una stop coming up with thoughts that are not well thought

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by JoeyNaza: 1:56pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

South Korea has a worse exchange rate with Dollar than Naira, so why are we losing money to defend artificial price to please people

exactly, South Korea is still exporting Samsung and other electronics to us with their "bad" currency yet if this government had their way, they will lose 50 million dollars a month to bring the rate to 700 Naira so that agbado people will be celebrating meanwhile factories are closing down, food crisis is till an issue, no jobs, insecurity yakpa. Who are we fooling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by JoeyNaza: 1:58pm On Apr 01
helinues:

You guys don't have an idea about the effects of arresting terrorists sponsor, bdc operators hoarding dollars and the Binance which came to manipulate the rate by buying large dollar to cause scarcity.

Make una stop coming up with thoughts that are not well thought

You don find the one wey sweet for your mouth. How about selling dollar at a loss every week.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by CodeTemplar: 2:00pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

The key to understand something is to reason about the intrinsic logic behind that stuff. You may not be familiar with geopolitics and currency manipulation so I wont hold it against you.

Ask yourself, why would the Nigerian government get hard currency from wherever and make a huge loss of over 400 Naira per dollar in selling to BDCs. If you trade stocks, forex etc, you will know that if a whale places a limit order at a very good price below or above current price, the market price will move to meet that order. In essence someone can not be offering me dollar at 1300 and I will go and buy for 1700, and if I want to sell the dollar, I will not sell dollar I bought at 1300 (even if I bought it 2k) for 1900 because competition will make my neighbour try to sell as cheap as possible. Right there, the government has artificially set the price at their own loss.

Do you know that China is a big currency manipulator. China manipulates their currency value to remain relatively low because they export a lot of products, if the Chinese currency takes it's true market value, it will become more expensive for foreigners to buy these Chinese products so their money will go to cheaper alternatives from India, Malaysia, Thailand or Vietnam. A good thing can cause harm.

Here we are manipulating currency to increase propaganda not productivity.
logic also should tell you if a person sells at a loss for too long, that person will run into bankruptcy. Leave water to find its level(equilibrium) and stop sounding like a speculator who bought dollar at around N1900 with loan money.

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 2:00pm On Apr 01
Simple basic economics.

What caused the high rate of dollar ? Scarcity

Who caused the scarcity? some BDC operators, Terrorists sponsor, Binance, government too.

Now that those horading the dollar have been arrested, that means there would be more dollar in circulation hence rate reduction.

9 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 2:03pm On Apr 01
CodeTemplar:
logic also should tell you if a person sells at a loss for too long, that person will run into bankruptcy. Leave water to find its level(equilibrium) and stop sounding like a speculator who bought dollar at around N1900 with loan money.

It's obvious you know little. Continue, tomorrow another government will tell you how he inherited bad loans from predecessor so he can't do this or that, but as fela said Zombie go just dey look and possibly be smiling.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 2:03pm On Apr 01
JoeyNaza:

You don find the one wey sweet for your mouth. How about selling dollar at a loss every week.

We are importing less than last 5 years, we are exporting more than last 5 years, dollar rate shouldn't have gone that high if not for the hoarders and manipulators.

Still, government also shared out of the blame cos if they had strong policies backing Naira, we wouldn't have been having this conversation

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by Front0lane: 2:05pm On Apr 01
If dollar like let dollar sell for a million.
The president of Bola Tinubu as decide to defend the Naira how it deem fit when Peter Peter Obi become president he can float the Naira then till that time you are free to continue wailing foolishly n senselessly across all social.media platform

HopeUzodinma:
How long will this government continue this charade?

Dollar will exchange for #2500 when this nonsense finally ends..

6 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by MaziObinnaokija: 2:06pm On Apr 01
grin cheesy Confusedbidient thread cheesy embarassed.Usd @1900,una wail sad.Now @1300k,still 😢 😭..

Enemies of NGR thread grin

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 2:08pm On Apr 01
helinues:
Simple basic economics.

What caused the high rate of dollar ? Scarcity

Who caused the scarcity? some BDC operators, Terrorists sponsor, Binance, government too.

Now that those horading the dollar have been arrested, that means there would be more dollar in circulation hence rate reduction.

Who taught these people economics, if BDCs decides not to sell dollars for 2 years, my friend Dollar is a global reserve currency for a reason, foreign interests will flood this country with their own dollar.

You didn't read the writeup, if not you will understand that if you go to the market and a cow seller tells you he is selling his 25kg cow at the price of a 50kg cow, you will bargain and price it down to it's real value. Everything that happens after that is after effect and panic because in free market, Naira is worth less than 2000 NGN / USD so any reasonable person will hoard their dollar till it reaches true value.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 2:17pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

Who taught these people economics, if BDCs decides not to sell dollars for 2 years, my friend Dollar is a global reserve currency for a reason, foreign interests will flood this country with their own dollar.

You didn't read the writeup, if not you will understand that if you go to the market and a cow seller tells you he is selling his 25kg cow at the price of a 50kg cow, you will bargain and price it down to it's real value. Everything that happens after that is after effect and panic because in free market, Naira is worth less than 2000 NGN / USD so any reasonable person will hoard their dollar till it reaches true value.

Where do BDC get their dollars from? BDC decides not to sell dollar. Jesu grin

My guy no even no the meaning of BDC.. grin

Abeg trading is different from economics

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 2:27pm On Apr 01
helinues:

Education has taken new lows in Nigeria so I remain not surprised. Prior to re-including BDCs in monetary policy for this currency scheme. BDCs got their dollar from transacting with the public and through back yard deals with commercial banks which notable experts have exposed and condemned.

The problem is not CBN selling directly to these people but it's the fact that they do it at a rate that artificially brings down the value of the dollar.

I shouldn't be arguing with people like you, you know why ? Because time always proves the truth right. We called out Buhari for 8 years over incompetency and failure, you coated your short-sightedness, bigotry and tribalism with all sort of excuses, deflections and jibes yet today we are vindicated. Continue defending rubbish, give it 10 years, your collective stupidity will manifest before your eyes.

The rest of sensible Africa is making giant strides but here their entire world revolves around Lagos. If Lagos builds a railway that was built in Indonesia 20 years ago, the entire country thinks they've made progress. grin grin Fools

1 Like

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by Madmohamedslam: 2:32pm On Apr 01
helinues:

My guy no even no the meaning of BDC.. grin

But wait helinues are you trying to tell me this is the reason you are useless?

1 Like

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by helinues: 2:38pm On Apr 01
Madmohamedslam:

But wait helinues are you trying to tell me this is the reason you are useless?

Mynd44
Seun
Dominique
Oam4j
Mukina
Nlfpmod

Kindly assist with the notorious troller

1 Like

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by Godoverevery: 2:47pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

Education has taken new lows in Nigeria so I remain not surprised. Prior to re-including BDCs in monetary policy for this currency scheme. BDCs got their dollar from transacting with the public and through back yard deals with commercial banks which notable experts have exposed and condemned.

The problem is not CBN selling directly to these people but it's the fact that they do it at a rate that artificially brings down the value of the dollar.

I shouldn't be arguing with people like you, you know why ? Because time always proves the truth right. We called out Buhari for 8 years over incompetency and failure, you coated your short-sightedness, bigotry and tribalism with all sort of excuses, deflections and jibes yet today we are vindicated. Continue defending rubbish, give it 10 years, your collective stupidity will manifest before your eyes.

The rest of sensible Africa is making giant strides but here their entire world revolves around Lagos. If Lagos builds a railway that was built in Indonesia 20 years ago, the entire country thinks they've made progress. grin grin Fools

Both Peter obi and atiku ain't even criticizing this move by cbn but you feel you know more than everyone.

If cbn is actually defending the naira you think Peter obi and Atiku won't have alarm everyone??

All top economist on TV are in full support of this particular move even a former deputy CBN governor came out to give a positive review do you know more than them

Until I see a credible top economist come out to critic this cbn policies you are all what you wrote is invalid.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by banku: 2:54pm On Apr 01
Nigerians look for every solution except the ones that affect them personally. No personal sacrifice. .
Why can't we talk about demand for foreign currencies that we cannot print and what exactly we are using them for that bring back value to the country?

Until we reduce or ban temporarily, foreign goods and services, we will never bring down the senseless value of the dollar or euro.

What are we doing differently from the time Nigerian pound was equal to British pound?

Liberal market and lack of control call "freedom" to import anything including junks in exchange for natural resources. This is why importers of junks and foreign school fees payers are happy.
Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by ValarDoharis: 2:54pm On Apr 01
The naira is being defended at a higher price making it penny wise, pounds foolish
CodeTemplar:

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 3:00pm On Apr 01
Godoverevery:

Both Peter obi and atiku ain't even criticizing this move by cbn but you feel you know more than everyone.

If cbn is actually defending the naira you think Peter obi and Atiku won't have alarm everyone??

All top economist on TV are in full support of this particular move even a former deputy CBN governor came out to give a positive review do you know more than them

Until I see a credible top economist come out to critic this cbn policies you are all what you wrote is invalid.

You think I am one of those that subscribe to your politicians like Peter Obi and Atiku. They both know that what Tinubu is doing now is what was happening before during Emefiele era, tinubu stopped it and have seen that it can't work and ran back to the old way. So what is there for them to condemn.

Tell me who would want to come out to tell hungry angry Nigerians that they are indifferent to dollar rising.

But what is stupid is to tell me that FG is not defending Naira. So Dollar dropped from 1900 in one month because all your imaginary factories started working, Dangote refinery brought in revenue, Multi -nationals are trooping or as Odumeje said, he used Abido Shaker to reduce dollar. Don't be naive.

Experimental design will tell you that if whenever I add B to A, C happens then there is a causal relationship between B and C that can either be proven or disproven but can't be disputed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by CodeTemplar: 3:01pm On Apr 01
ValarDoharis:
The naira is being defended at a higher price making it penny wise, pounds foolish
speculayyy
Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by Godoverevery: 3:08pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

You think I am one of those that subscribe to your politicians like Peter Obi and Atiku. They both know that what Tinubu is doing now is what was happening before during Emefiele era, tinubu stopped it and have seen that it can't work and ran back to the old way. So what is there for them to condemn.

Tell me who would want to come out to tell hungry angry Nigerians that they are indifferent to dollar rising.

But what is stupid is to tell me that FG is not defending Naira. So Dollar dropped from 1900 in one month because all your imaginary factories started working, Dangote refinery brought in revenue, Multi -nationals are trooping or as Odumeje said, he used Abido Shaker to reduce dollar. Don't be naive.

Experimental design will tell you that if whenever I add B to A, C happens then there is a causal relationship between B and C that can either be proven or disproven but can't be disputed.

Professor in economics well done.

I didn't bother reading all those epistle you wrote.

So Peter obi and atiku are politicians and all the economist talking on TV stations like Arise etc are politicians aswell....they are all afraid to tell Nigerians the truth...lol

Well done.
Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 3:08pm On Apr 01
Godoverevery:

Forget about the act itself, my problem is the long term sustainability. FG is spending $15m per week now, what happens if the true value of naira pushes lower, that 15m would have to become 25m to maintain price around 1400 and so on. Meawhile we can concentrate efforts towards the real problems.

The North will brag about their vast lands yet Nigeria can't become an agriculture powerhouse because the government has failed them in insecurity and lack of subsidised farming yet we are paying for subsidy in every angle. It is like blackmail, it will never stop and may only increase until you handle the matter or person they are using to blackmail you.
Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by chigator2: 3:13pm On Apr 01
Godoverevery:

Professor in economics well done.

I didn't bother reading all those epistle you wrote.

So Peter obi and atiku are politicians and all the economist talking on TV stations like Arise etc are politicians aswell....they are all afraid to tell Nigerians the truth...lol

Well done.

Ohh I see, you are one of those they spoon feed on TV. If they don't tell me on TV then I won't think. Grow up. Typical black man.
Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by Godoverevery: 3:18pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

For about the act itself, my problem is the long term sustainability. FG is spending $15m per week now, what happens if the true value of naira pushes lower, that 15m would have to become 25m to maintain price around 1400 and so on. Meawhile we can concentrate efforts towards the real problems.

The North will brag about their vast lands yet Nigeria can't become an agriculture powerhouse because the government has failed them in insecurity and lack of subsidised farming yet we are paying for subsidy in every angle. It is like blackmail, it will never stop and may only increase until you handle the matter or person they are using to blackmail you.

What you want is a miracle and is not possible.
This govt isn't even up to a year and you want them to make Nigeria agriculture power house.

I know much about agriculture cos am a farmer.
Even if we embark on serious Farming now it will take like 2yrs to achieve desire results.

Farming is a process and requires time.......we have annual crops etc. In ogun state where I have my farm I can tell you for a fact ogun state governor went on serious planting of cassava.

The north might have insecurity affecting farmers but do we have that in the south??
In this country decade back most family have a farm of there own but today everyone want fast money and no one want to farm again especially in the South.
Re: The Truth About CBN Control Of Spiking Dollar FX Rate by Godoverevery: 3:22pm On Apr 01
chigator2:

Ohh I see, you are one of those they spoon feed on TV. If they don't tell me on TV then I won't think. Grow up. Typical black man.

Am not an expert in economics infact i study engineering so it will be foolish of me to start cooking conjecture in my head instead of listening to experts analysis.

If people who are experts in a field are saying the same thing about a particular subject is madness for anyone who isn't an expert to feel he knows better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Murder Of Nigerian Businessman In China / I Am Proud Of Nigeria No Matter What They Say. / Rivers, A/ibom, Lagos, Delta Get Lion’s Share •as FG, States, Lgs Share N921bn F

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.