Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair (466 Views)

NIMET Predicts 3 Days Of Cloudy Skies, Sunshine In Nigerian Cities / Downtown Aerial View Of Two Emerging Nigerian Cities / MORE FROM BBC AFRICA: biafra shutdown cripples Nigerian cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by babasolution: 9:29am On Apr 02
I just saw a thread on ABA, how the government is trying to construct abandoned roads.What I saw is cringy,the reconstructed roads only have functional signifance aside that it made no difference to the development of the city,the city still looks as bad as it always was,this goes for every other city in Nigeria, including Lagos. Except Abuja.

Despite efforts by some governors to reconstruct roads and bridges, it feels like pouring water into a basket.

Most state capitals were totally unplanned,and allowed to be dilapidated severely.
even the former nations capital Lagos was unplanned and is now beyond repair especially the mainland.

This goes with my gross with the older generation who watched and oversaw the gradual disintegration and dilapidation of these cities.

Nigerian cities are gone,they are too dilapidated to be repaired, all the major cities especially in the south and Middlebelt are gone except Abuja,they are in such dysfunctional state they are at best upgraded slums.

All Nigerian cities are so full of shacks,dirts,stenchy open gutters,old buildings etc.

It's so messy it can't be recovered,its like trying to beautify a dumbsite.

Instead of wasting billions on useless roads and bridges, these monies should be used instead on the gradual development of new capital cities in Nigeria that will be planned from inception,otherwise Nigeria will remain a ugly mess forever.
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 9:33am On Apr 02
We keep on lying to ourselves about how developed our regions are when we truly know they are mostly in dilapidated state.
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by Nbote(m): 10:04am On Apr 02
helinues:
We keep on lying to ourselves about how developed our regions are when we truly know they are mostly in dilapidated state.

Have you ever heard of urban renewal?? You don't have to always reason with your anus as your name implies. Infrastructure improves value and value drives development. With improved roads and other infrastructures, Old structures will be replaced with new ones to reflect the new value of the area. Some of you cannot just hide the ignorance and stupidity that runs in your veins

3 Likes

Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 10:06am On Apr 02
Nbote:

Have you ever heard of urban renewal?? You don't have to always reason with your anus as your name implies. Infrastructure improves value and value drives development. With improved roads and other infrastructures, Old structures will be replaced with new ones to reflect the new value of the area. Some of you cannot just hide the ignorance and stupidity that runs in your veins

What's the correlation between your epistle and my comments?

Wondering why some of you just dey carry bitterness everywhere online that you can't make your own comments without throwing tantrums
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by SmartPolician: 10:19am On Apr 02
In my view, development requires a holistic approach. You don't develop A and leave B. If you do that, you end up creating an Ibadan (a city of decent and horribly bad parts) across all states in Nigeria.

Instead, develop a planned new city. Build affordable multistorey houses and encourage those living in parts of the old town to relocate to the new one. Pay off some who live in the old towns. Once they leave, you use bulldozers to do the needful in the old town.

Government can use the new lands for projects that will bring in revenue for the state. For instance, pleasure parks, markets and malls, etc. But then, all this will be a gradual process because it will require huge funding to actualise them.

2 Likes

Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by tollyboy5(m): 10:35am On Apr 02
There are more important issues to tackle in Nigeria than urban planning.
Insecurity will consume a lot to tackle.
Lack of electricity will take alot of funds.
Accessible road network can't be overlooked

Transportation system like metro rail or brt buses in major town need to be provided.

Law enforcement need to be taking serious.
When you tackle all these, urban system go dey arrange itself come before you even start the planing.

I would love to ask, now the naira is gaining strength against the dollar. Does it translate to the fact that the government will stop paying subsidy to maintain petrol prices and reduce NEPA bills?
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 10:46am On Apr 02
tollyboy5:

Transportation system like metro rail or brt buses in major town need to be provided.

When you tackle all these, urban system go dey arrange itself come before you even start the planing.

I would love to ask, now the naira is gaining strength against the dollar. Does it translate to the fact that the government will stop paying subsidy to maintain petrol prices and reduce NEPA bills?

Where did you just arrive from? Government should stop paying subsidy to maintain petrol prices?

undecided
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by tollyboy5(m): 10:55am On Apr 02
helinues:

Where did you just arrive from? Government should stop paying subsidy to maintain petrol prices?

undecided
The exchange rate is high, the reintroduction of subsidy is to maintain price below ₦600 orso.
If the exchange rate is balanced the subsidy has to stop which translate to more funds for federal government and NEPA need to charge cost reflective bill if government removed subsidy from electricity.

That is my expectation
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 10:58am On Apr 02
tollyboy5:

The exchange rate is high, the reintroduction of subsidy is to maintain price below ₦600 orso.
If the exchange rate is balanced the subsidy has to stop which translate to more funds for federal government and NEPA need to charge cost reflective bill if government removed subsidy from electricity.

That is my expectation

This na Alaba economy analysis. Make your argument without injecting dollar rate
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by tollyboy5(m): 11:06am On Apr 02
helinues:

This na Alaba economy analysis. Make your argument without injecting dollar rate

You no sabi anything.

The only thing you sabi Na to praise tinubu and APC
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 11:08am On Apr 02
tollyboy5:

You no sabi anything.

The only thing you sabi Na to praise tinubu and APC

While everything oozing from your head is the hatred for his Excellency Tinubu
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by tollyboy5(m): 11:14am On Apr 02
helinues:

While everything oozing from your head is the hatred for his Excellency Tinubu
I was talking about more important thing. I know you're trying to divert without answering my first question.
You don't even know how to answer it. You're just looking for engagement.
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 11:16am On Apr 02
tollyboy5:

I was talking about more important thing. I know you're trying to divert without answering my first question.
You don't even know how to answer it. You're just looking for engagement.

Important thing like government still paying for fuel subsidy?
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by vanitybutiwanti: 11:17am On Apr 02
Nigeria is a shiithole, the so called cites are dirty and disorganised
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by vanitybutiwanti: 11:18am On Apr 02
SmartPolician:
In my view, development requires a holistic approach. You don't develop A and leave B. If you do that, you end up creating an Ibadan (a city of decent and horribly bad parts) across all states in Nigeria.

Instead, develop a planned new city. Build affordable multistorey houses and encourage those living in parts of the old town to relocate to the new one. Pay off some who live in the old towns. Once they leave, you use bulldozers to do the needful in the old town.

Government can use the new lands for projects that will bring in revenue for the state. For instance, pleasure parks, markets and malls, etc. But then, all this will be a gradual process because it will require huge funding to actualise them.
There's no.money for what you're proposing, truly ibadan is an eyesore, it has a weird aura, even the fairly decent areas are nestled in slums, I just don't see ibadan turning to a south Africa or an Abuja in the nearest future..where will the government start from?
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by babasolution: 11:29am On Apr 02
tollyboy5:

Governments are spending trillions building useless roads and bridges, these trillions should be used to develop new settlements,palliative measures can be done on existing roads
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by babasolution: 11:31am On Apr 02
vanitybutiwanti:
There's no.money for what you're proposing, truly ibadan is an eyesore, it has a weird aura, even the fairly decent areas are nestled in slums, I just don't see ibadan turning to a south Africa or an Abuja in the nearest future..where will the government start from?

Oyo government is spending billions doing urban renewal and building new roads,these monies can be channelled into gradually building a new capital city
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by Ozommadu: 11:39am On Apr 02
helinues:

Seriously bro, Ibadan needs total overhauling
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 11:42am On Apr 02
Ozommadu:

Seriously bro, Ibadan needs total overhauling

Stop being a tribal jingoistic . I made reference to all part of Nigeria.

If una never slide tackle in a day, it be like something terrible fit happen
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by Reflect7: 11:45am On Apr 02
vanitybutiwanti:

These things are not as hard as you people make out.

Take Ibadan for instance.

2 THINGS ALONE can transform that city:

1, A mandate that every rusted root must be replaced with non-zinc roofing or treated zinc roofing, to avoid future rusting, and older houses repainted. Govt will subsidise the cost.

2, A mandate to tar all roads AND build underground drainage and sidewalks on EVERY street.

This dual policy, if implemented, will transform Ibadan to a world class, tourist-friendly city virtually overnight.
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by Ozommadu: 11:49am On Apr 02
helinues:

Stop being a tribal jingoistic . I made reference to all part of Nigeria.

If una never slide tackle in a day, it be like something terrible fit happen

Is Ibadan not a part of Nigeria??

You're the tribal jingoist here
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 11:59am On Apr 02
Ozommadu:

Is Ibadan not a part of Nigeria??

You're the tribal jingoist here

I ain't interested in your tribal jingoism.

Carry am go elsewhere. Na so you go dey jump from one thread to the other with same stale comments
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by Ozommadu: 12:06pm On Apr 02
helinues:

I ain't interested in your tribal jingoism.

Carry am go elsewhere. Na so you go dey jump from one thread to the other with same stale comments

Stop accusing others of what you do here on nairaland.

Everyone knows your notoriety
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by helinues: 12:08pm On Apr 02
Ozommadu:

Stop accusing others of what you do here on nairaland.

Everyone knows your notoriety

It's only you people who accused others of doing something without providing proofs.

Another repeated bunkum
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by vanitybutiwanti: 5:48pm On Apr 02
Reflect7:

These things are not as hard as you people make out.

Take Ibadan for instance.

2 THINGS ALONE can transform that city:

1, A mandate that every rusted root must be replaced with non-zinc roofing or treated zinc roofing, to avoid future rusting, and older houses repainted. Govt will subsidise the cost.

2, A mandate to tar all roads AND build underground drainage and sidewalks on EVERY street.

This dual policy, if implemented, will transform Ibadan to a world class, tourist-friendly city virtually overnight.
where is the money to tar all the roads? I was in bodija early this year, the place is not bad but for a high brow area, the internal Roads are worn out, in Port Harcourt gra, the fomer governor Enlisted julius berger to resurface all the internal Roads and expand some, that singular action gave the place a face-lift and also shot up the prices of property in that area, another thing, bikes are not allowed in the capital in Port Harcourt, that's not the case in ibadan, the governor is not paying attention to the high brow areas, he's a populist and masses governor.

He's doing Roads but most of the roads are roads connecting the capital to rural area which is not bad but I'll implore him to work on the state capital, a capital is the face of the state.
Re: Most Nigerian Cities Are Dilapidated Beyond Repair by vanitybutiwanti: 5:49pm On Apr 02
babasolution:

Oyo government is spending billions doing urban renewal and building new roads,these monies can be channelled into gradually building a new capital city
Building roads linking the city to rural areas, how many internal roads has he done in the city? Most of the internal Roads are worn out and not marked appropriately

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu And Chagoury’s Dubious Lagos-calabar Highway Project / Bola Ahmed Tinubu Hates Christians In Nigeria / Free Campaign Sms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.