Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,883 members, 7,817,598 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? (20011 Views)

Women With Tech Careers Can Do Better Than Men / What Careers Can I Engage In With A Degree In Business Management(B.A) ? / Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by och12(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03
I'm glad that you're already charting your future during NYSC, that's pretty an early start which is commendable.

Now, this is my 2 cents with respect to Finance field, Consider enrolling for an advanced global certification during your NYSC, preferably, ACCA (you can do ICAN if you can't afford this) or CFA, this will get you through the door in the competitive labour market after NYSC. Also, start brushing up on job aptitude tests as well.

Then gun for the top finance corporations after your NYSC - The big 4 firms (Financial Advisory/ Deals Advisory / M & A or P.E units), AFC, etc.

Get 1 to 3 years experience in any of these good firms and along with your professional certifications you should be able to get a fully or partially funded MBA from a top university (preferably Ivy league) in USA.

With all these, you would easily break into Wall street after your MBA, and get juicy Finance roles.

2braithe:
Hello all.
I am a fresh Accounting graduate awaiting NYSC and I need to make a life changing decision that I will not regret.

I plan to go into Finance, Investment Banking specifically. It resonates with my degree and I can prepare for an entry level role during NYSC.

I picked up Web development during my final year. I have a solid knowledge of HTML, CSS and basic JavaScript now.

I plan to go to the USA through the study route (Masters) and stay back legally.

For Finance:
Within Nigeria, I can get an internship and later an entry level role in one of the numerous investment banking firms in Nigeria.

In USA, I'll need to do MBA. After, to get an employer to sponsor me for H1b visa is war because there are tons of capable citizens better than me. I was even told if I'm not in the STEM field, I should forget sponsorship from employers.
Even if I get sponsorship, there are only 85k H1b slots per year, in 2023, about 483k people applied.😭

For Tech:
Within Nigeria, I barely saw any internship opening. Remote internships in foreign companies are the worst. Within 5 hours, 1k people have applied. The job requirements alone will take me over a year to achieve. Same as normal junior job openings... Supply is more than demand.

In USA, I'll need to do Masters in Computer science(I can only work with a degree related to my field of occupation).
Coming from an Accounting background, they may not pick me. If they pick me, I'll do a hell of advanced maths courses.
I can't cope with Discrete mathematics, Linear algebra, Calculus I, Calculus II, etc.
If I manage to cope and I get an employer to sponsor me for H1b visa, I'll still face the lottery of 85k slots and overwhelming applicants. I can't spend that money and come back to Nigeria again.

Please advise me, what should I do?
I'm considering Canada but I don't know if she is better.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by och12(m): 3:48pm On Apr 03
Please can you elucidate on the bolded

Youngman50:
Am a recent masters grad from a US university.
Although I got a good job after graduation, I won't recommend this route if you're not very bright. The odds of success aren't high, due to the present job market and the H1B situation.

You can risk it though. Other advise will be to try and secure funding, full or partial
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by femi4: 3:54pm On Apr 03
2braithe:
Hello all.
I am a fresh Accounting graduate awaiting NYSC and I need to make a life changing decision that I will not regret.

I plan to go into Finance, Investment Banking specifically. It resonates with my degree and I can prepare for an entry level role during NYSC.

I picked up Web development during my final year. I have a solid knowledge of HTML, CSS and basic JavaScript now.

I plan to go to the USA through the study route (Masters) and stay back legally.

For Finance:
Within Nigeria, I can get an internship and later an entry level role in one of the numerous investment banking firms in Nigeria.

In USA, I'll need to do MBA. After, to get an employer to sponsor me for H1b visa is war because there are tons of capable citizens better than me. I was even told if I'm not in the STEM field, I should forget sponsorship from employers.
Even if I get sponsorship, there are only 85k H1b slots per year, in 2023, about 483k people applied.😭

For Tech:
Within Nigeria, I barely saw any internship opening. Remote internships in foreign companies are the worst. Within 5 hours, 1k people have applied. The job requirements alone will take me over a year to achieve. Same as normal junior job openings... Supply is more than demand.

In USA, I'll need to do Masters in Computer science(I can only work with a degree related to my field of occupation).
Coming from an Accounting background, they may not pick me. If they pick me, I'll do a hell of advanced maths courses.
I can't cope with Discrete mathematics, Linear algebra, Calculus I, Calculus II, etc.
If I manage to cope and I get an employer to sponsor me for H1b visa, I'll still face the lottery of 85k slots and overwhelming applicants. I can't spend that money and come back to Nigeria again.

Please advise me, what should I do?
I'm considering Canada but I don't know if she is better.
Tech rules here, don't make mistake of going into financial or engineering sector. It takes time to break into their world. But with tech, you are in full control
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Unittyy: 4:07pm On Apr 03
femi4:
Tech rules here, don't make mistake of going into financial or engineering sector. It takes time to break into their world. But with tech, you are in full control
Can one break into tech abroad without a degree in computer science??
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by femi4: 4:09pm On Apr 03
Unittyy:
Can one break into tech abroad without a degree in computer science??
If you like have master, dem no rate you until they see your proficient in tools like

Python, sql, power bi, R , spss, matlab

If you're good with those tools, you are made for life

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Dijita: 4:15pm On Apr 03
2braithe:

Thank you for the eye opener. I'll consider auditing in the Big 4.
Any advice to make me stand out? Because obviously I'm not the only one pursuing Big 4.

Also, at the risk of being accused of putting the cart before the horse, any tips on how I can be better positioned to relocate abroad(my ultimate goal)?
Very strong GPA, first or second class upper. CPA and good performance in the interview.
If your goal is to travel abroad at all cost, if you have the money the quickest way is the care assistant part to Canada or UK. Any legitimate travel consultant in Nigeria can guide you through
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 360command: 4:37pm On Apr 03
Lovemaester:

How do I go about it? Is it something I can learn online or is there a school for it
well, you can learn it online I believe from an institution in the USA or Canada but if they study such in our university or polytechnic that is fine. You just need a 2 year degree course program to learn it.

That is the first stage, having such knowledge, since you are coming from Africa, you just have to lie on your cv on where you have actually worked in it using it. Don't get me wrong, you can still work with it in Nigeria after all we have geo thermal plant coming up in Nigeria but make sure you use international companies like Schlumberger, Haliburton.

I can't type much, go research and don't wait to be spoonfed. Apply wisdom.

I can tell you the truth, if you are in the states and you study such course , oil and gas companies will be looking for you. Because you are from Nigeria, it will not come easy but if you can manipulate your cv by having the experience in stanvanger, Norway or another country etc then you might stand a chance. Like I said, you have to research, think and apply wisdom.

I have an Italian Ghanaian friend back in Ghana who spent 1year applying for jobs through indeed. He finally got a job in Ireland.

Also note, it depends on the region if you study such course where those oil and gas companies will find you upon completion because those oil companies have a rapport with the university.

This is another nugget I have dropped here..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 4:39pm On Apr 03
Dijita:

Very strong GPA, first or second class upper. CPA and good performance in the interview.
If your goal is to travel abroad at all cost, if you have the money the quickest way is the care assistant part to Canada or UK. Any legitimate travel consultant in Nigeria can guide you through

The care assistant path is just to get my foot in, I can always switch back to my accounting field I presume.
Thank you Sir!
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 4:46pm On Apr 03
femi4:

To see jobs in tech now is war.

I searched for internships, the ones is Nigeria were old(posted months ago) or has some kind of requirements that if I possess them, I won't be needing internships.
Remote ones abroad have over 1k applications in few hours. The requirements too were stringent.

Junior developer positions require 3-5 years of experience with skills and knowledge cutting across Web dev, cloud engineering, systems design, devops and project management. That's an entire IT department!!!

I don't know how I want to break into that.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 4:51pm On Apr 03
och12:
I'm glad that you're already charting your future during NYSC, that's pretty an early start which is commendable.

Now, this is my 2 cents with respect to Finance field, Consider enrolling for an advanced global certification during your NYSC, preferably, ACCA (you can do ICAN if you can't afford this) or CFA, this will get you through the door in the competitive labour market after NYSC. Also, start brushing up on job aptitude tests as well.

Then gun for the top finance corporations after your NYSC - The big 4 firms (Financial Advisory/ Deals Advisory / M & A or P.E units), AFC, etc.

Get 1 to 3 years experience in any of these good firms and along with your professional certifications you should be able to get a fully or partially funded MBA from a top university (preferably Ivy league) in USA.

With all these, you would easily break into Wall street after your MBA, and get juicy Finance roles.

Thanks for these.

Some suggested Auditing. Does it matter or I can always go into any of the aspects you mentioned(Advisory, M & A, etc) just for experience?

As for breaking into wall street, will I get a sponsor to sponsor my visa to stay or I should do what others are doing(find akata)?
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 4:52pm On Apr 03
being:
Lol. Thank u for thanking me.. u r such a cool kid.
Ednut has already given a clear pathway of how big 4 can land u in the USA--through an MBA or through a CPA( for Canada)..
Now, the fact that u dream about something doesn't mean u will enjoy it when u eventually have it. U were a teenager then, now u are fairly older- u can't just follow any cliche or ur childhood dreams mindlessly.. u need to evaluate what is really good for u.

Understood Sir. I appreciate you 🙏
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2mch(m): 5:08pm On Apr 03
Dijita:

You are partially wrong. I hold two master degrees. One in information systems and the other in accounting. I am in forensic accounting. we are constantly looking for qualified personnel. Because US students prefer IT due to high pay, accounting pipeline was left shallow. Accounting field is now scrambling to fill many entry level positions. You are right that the HI-B visa favor IT than accounting. Infact, one of my major challenges is keeping my entry level staff. I have to go extra miles to be nice to those working with me so that they don't leave, believe me it is very challenging filling accounting positions these days.
You are probably a scammer trying to deceive people into traveling to the US. You don’t know what you are talking about. Bossman is very correct.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by steeltrust: 5:10pm On Apr 03
2braithe:

I think it's because tech gives better chances of staying back. And it's also more lucrative.

lol
Who tell you 😂🤣

There are other with more better chance sha oh
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Dynamicboss: 5:12pm On Apr 03
Easybet1:
what is the difference between software developer and web development??

Software developer or engineer can be full stack, backend or front end.

Web development is some part of front end development.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by joshkke(m): 6:15pm On Apr 03
FutureFocus:

Oh my God, Thank You so much, the Lord will send you a helper where you least expected , you prosper in whatever you lay your hands on

I will find a way to contact you, my WhatsApp details is on my profile here, I will check your profile now to see if you have one there , Thank You

Hi did you send a pm?

Ok, seen, will respond and you can email, cheers
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Dijita: 6:56pm On Apr 03
2mch:

You are probably a scammer trying to deceive people into traveling to the US. You don’t know what you are talking about. Bossman is very correct.
I will suggest you learn to talk to people you don't know. Your comment is childish. How do you conclude that I am scamming people to travel to US? Off what benefit is that to me? Is US short on the number of people wanting to travel to US?
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by VULCAN(m): 7:46pm On Apr 03
The response of one who hasn't travelled to the First World before.

Not everyone abroad is struggling with minimum wage jobs and childcare.

There are people whose business generates millions of dollars every year.

The man that bought Gatwick could probably only have done if he was based here by stealing at a Presidential level.

The chap that sold Calendly nko?

Those are the whales.

There are many Nigerians who are earning six and seven figure salaries in the West but you are only familiar with those who cannot afford airticket to come home and bury their mother.

Upgrade Your Standards and expectations.

Praying4Nigeria:

My brother, haven't you seen the thread that shows how wiser Nigerians are now returning to make far more Wealth in Nigeria than when they were when abroad? See Comments on the Thread: https://www.nairaland.com/8049931/video-friend-left-europe-suicidal
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Easybet1(m): 7:54pm On Apr 03
Dynamicboss:

Software developer or engineer can be full stack, backend or front end.

Web development is some part of front end development.
some part of frontend as how?

You said software developer can be either full stack, backend or frontend.

Tell me the part of frontend that web developer deal with that make it different from the frontend that software developer do
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Dynamicboss: 8:23pm On Apr 03
Easybet1:
some part of frontend as how?

You said software developer can be either full stack, backend or frontend.

Tell me the part of frontend that web developer deal with that make it different from the frontend that software developer do

I am mixing it up anyways. Web development is more like developing a website based on business requirements which you can be a front end, back end and full stack. However, most time it is seen more of a front end because it focuses on functionality of a web. Languages like react native, html, css, angular, etc. are used for website design.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2mch(m): 8:46pm On Apr 03
Dijita:

I will suggest you learn to talk to people you don't know. Your comment is childish. How do you conclude that I am scamming people to travel to US? Off what benefit is that to me? Is US short on the number of people wanting to travel to US?
Look. You are a scammer. You keep branding how you have this and you know people you got jobs for and how fast it was possible when we who have exposure know it’s all lies. You are a liar and setting up the trail as an expert abroad hooking people up with jobs. Stop it immediately and go and find a real job.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2mch(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
2braithe:

To see jobs in tech now is war.

I searched for internships, the ones is Nigeria were old(posted months ago) or has some kind of requirements that if I possess them, I won't be needing internships.
Remote ones abroad have over 1k applications in few hours. The requirements too were stringent.

Junior developer positions require 3-5 years of experience with skills and knowledge cutting across Web dev, cloud engineering, systems design, devops and project management. That's an entire IT department!!!

I don't know how I want to break into that.
Tech jobs now in US is waaaar! They are also paying less now. AI is taking over.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Unittyy: 8:49pm On Apr 03
Dynamicboss:

I am mixing it up anyways. Web development is more like developing a website based on business requirements which you can be a front end, back end and full stack. However, most time it is seen more of a front end because it focuses on functionality of a web. Languages like react native, html, css, angular, etc. are used for website design.
Is one year enough for a novice to learn software engineering and become job ready??
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 9:57pm On Apr 03
och12:

I just checked the cost of the MBA now. It's between 100k USD to 200k USD.
They better give me full ride scholarship. I can't afford it if it's partial scholarship😔
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 10:00pm On Apr 03
Gerrard59:

Then, an MBA from an M7 is a must. Check Reddit/MBA section to know whatsup

It kind of discouraged me though😔
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by FutureFocus: 5:24am On Apr 04
joshkke:

Hi did you send a pm?

Ok, seen, will respond and you can email, cheers

I hit a snag while trying to access the email I used to open this account,
Kindly WhatsApp me on the number down here on my signature please, thank you
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Gerrard59(m): 5:56am On Apr 04
2braithe:

Thank you so much.

I don't seem to understand what you're trying to say at the emboldened.

I'll work on the certifications. I might start with ICAN because it's cheaper then write a paper of ACCA and proceed to CPA.

That you don't need to go through the study route as a means to get inside the US. Work authorisation is not certain after studying in the US. Your aim is to work in the US, so the NIW solves the issue. However, if you are dead on private equity or IB, you need an MBA from a top Business School. Also, the university and grade you graduated also plays a role.

Which university and what was your grade in undergraduate levels?

2braithe:

They better give me full ride scholarship. I can't afford it if it's partial scholarship😔

That is where your grade and GMAT score comes in. Score at least 780 and a fat scholarship is certain.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Dynamicboss: 6:13am On Apr 04
Unittyy:

Is one year enough for a novice to learn software engineering and become job ready??

Yes. It can be overwhelming and boring a times but keep pushing
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 8:44am On Apr 04
Gerrard59:

That you don't need to go through the study route as a means to get inside the US. Work authorisation is not certain after studying in the US. Your aim is to work in the US, so the NIW solves the issue. However, if you are dead on private equity or IB, you need an MBA from a top Business School. Also, the university and grade you graduated also plays a role.

Which university and what was your grade in undergraduate levels?

That is where your grade and GMAT score comes in. Score at least 780 and a fat scholarship is certain.

Alright.

Due to anonymity, I wouldn't want to reveal my school. But it is among the top 6 in Nigeria(It is a federal uni).

After the MBA, I can apply for the NIW in the US I presume.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by Gerrard59(m): 12:22pm On Apr 04
2braithe:

Alright.

Due to anonymity, I wouldn't want to reveal my school. But it is among the top 6 in Nigeria(It is a federal uni).
I also finished with 4.34/5.0.

After the MBA, I can apply for the NIW in the US I presume.

Good grade. You need to get quality work experience in Nigeria. Once that is achieved, then write the GMAT and score exceedingly high.
Re: Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US? by 2braithe: 3:49pm On Apr 04
Gerrard59:

Good grade. You need to get quality work experience in Nigeria. Once that is achieved, then write the GMAT and score exceedingly high.

I'll do just that.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19: Last Minute Rush As FG Set To Bar Unvaccinated Workers Tomorrow / Top Ten Skills That Employers Want / 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.