Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs (6899 Views)

NGX: Investors Lose N190bn As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-offs / CBN To Remove Up Tier-1 Accounts Not Linked To BVN / States’ IGR Hits N691 Billion As Osun, Ondo, Others Recorded Biggest Growth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by KillIgbohoN0W: 8:45pm On Apr 04
Sell-offs in the shares of Tier-one banks on Thursday contributed to a 0.32 per cent decline in the Nigerian Exchange Ltd. (NGX) market indices.

Specifically, losses in the share prices of FBN Holdings, Access Corporation, Guaranty Trust Holding Company (GTCO), Zenith Bank and StanbicIBTC Bank, among others, dragged down the market performance.

Consequently, investors saw a decrease of N190 billion or 0.32 per cent, with market capitalisation opening at N59.095 trillion and closing at N58.905 trillion.

The All-Share Index also dipped by 0.32 per cent to close at 104,181.32 points, compared to 104,518.14 points posted on Tuesday.

This led to a Year-To-Date (YTD) return of 39.33 per cent.

The market breadth ended negative, with 32 losers and 21 gainers.

On the losers’ table, International Energy Insurance and Caverton led by 10 per cent each to close at N1.44, N1.62 per share respectively.

Thomaswy lost 9.63 per cent to close at N1.97, NEM Insurance dropped 9.60 per cent to close at N8.95, while Tantalizers went down by 9.52 per cent to close at 38k per share.

On the other hand, UPL Ltd., led the gainers table by 9.84 per cent to close at N2.68, SCOA Nigeria Plc gained 9.96 per cent to close at N2.15 per share.

Morison Industries Plc rose by 9.66 per cent to close at N1.93, Cutix Plc advanced by 9.62 per cent to close at N2.85 and Mutual Benefits Assurance appreciated by 9.38 per cent to close at 70k per share.

Analysis of the market activities showed trade turnover settled lower relative to the previous session, with the value of transactions down by 39.04 per cent.

A total of 405.03 million shares valued at N8.91 billion were exchanged in 10,364 deals, compared to 545.49 million shares valued at N14.61 billion exchanged in 12,747 deals posted previously.

Access Corporation led the volume chart with 50.00 million shares traded in value of N1.24 billion, UBA sold 49.01 million shares worth N1.37 billion.

Transcorp traded N45.95 million shares worth N612.80 million, Zenith sold 41.88 million shares worth N1.86 billion to lead the chart by value and GTCO transacted 29.70 million shared valued at N1.57 billion.(NAN)

Source: Daily Nigerian

3 Likes

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Badgers14: 6:15am On Apr 05
I pray for a better Nigeria!!

I dedicate this FTC to All Nigerian's.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Toluabigr8(m): 6:15am On Apr 05
K
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by LadyRosa(f): 6:15am On Apr 05
grin

This kwantry!
Problem no dey finish.I don't know what I earn again because problem no dey finish. This past months na so so contributions to cure one sick relations or another and its not FUC&KING cheap!

1 Like

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by NaijaCowFarm: 6:15am On Apr 05
Tinubulation is synonymous with Tribulation

2 Likes

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by michaellovaldo(m): 6:16am On Apr 05
You win some, you lose some I guess wink

1 Like

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by OilandGasMarket: 6:17am On Apr 05
I thought Cardoso was looking to strengthen the banking system. Investors clearly don't believe him.

6 Likes

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by onez: 6:17am On Apr 05
Like every policy of this failed and illegitimate govt, that recapitalization is a bad policy at the moment. We keep putting the cart before the horse. The policy should be suspended asap. What we need now is stability of the economy before any recapitalization.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by helinues: 6:17am On Apr 05
Loosing and gaining is part of the trade market
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by oliverwrites: 6:18am On Apr 05
k
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by NaijaCowFarm: 6:18am On Apr 05
helinues:
Loosing and gaining is part of the trade market
Just like Tinubulation is the harbinger of economic woes!
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by helinues: 6:19am On Apr 05
NaijaCowFarm:

Just like Tinubulation is the harbinger of economic woes!

Make una stop being incoherent on my mentions.

Una no dey hear words?
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Ramon92: 6:24am On Apr 05
onez:
Like every policy of this failed and illegitimate govt, that recapitalization is a bad policy at the moment. We keep putting the cart before the horse. The policy should be suspended asap. What we need now is stability of the economy before any recapitalization.
What would you have done to stabilise the economy?

3 Likes

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Blaze14k: 6:26am On Apr 05
Tinubu never come oo he forgot his wallet at home. One year don pass oo person wey build Lagos no fit build Nigeria.
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Fibonacci88: 6:48am On Apr 05
It's anticipated. Most banks are going to issue IPOs to raise funds to meet CBN capitalization requirements. Investors already holding these highly priced shares will need to dump some and book profit and mitigate risk when these banks go public.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by ppogba: 7:11am On Apr 05
onez:

The usual MUMU comment.

Go and comment on Bobrisky. That is where you belong.

5 Likes

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by ppogba: 7:21am On Apr 05
Fibonacci88:
It's anticipated. Most banks are going to issue IPOs to raise funds to meet CBN capitalization requirements. Investors already holding these highly priced shares will need to dump some and book profit and mitigate risk when these banks go public.

You are trying hard to sound knowledgeable but you are not.
Is it only the tier 1 banks that are responsible for the current fall?

Who told you people holding a particular stock will dump when the company plans to raise additional capital?

Dumping to book profit to mitigate risk?
What risk is being mitigated with the dumping?

It is not a must you should comment here.
Take the little knowledge you have to the beer parlour.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by heysquare(m): 7:37am On Apr 05
NaijaCowFarm:
Tinubulation is synonymous with Tribulation
A news like this always makes your day and makes you happy because you never pray for anything good to happen to the country. Remember whatever you wish the country would befell on you too

2 Likes

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by perfri(m): 7:46am On Apr 05
ppogba:

Who told you people holding a particular stock will dump when the company plans to raise additional capital?

The person you quoted is actually right. when these banks recapitalize, this wouild mean issuing new shares in the market, which can reduce the ownership percentage and earnings per share for existing shareholders. This dilution could put downward pressure on the stock price. So actually, existing shareholders may likely want to sell off their stocks.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Fibonacci88: 8:07am On Apr 05
ppogba:

This douchebag u will be hopping from thread to thread spewing rubbish on threads beyond ur capacity. If u were sensible enough to comprehend the write up u will see that not all banks mentioned there are tier 1 bank. I gave a reason why a sell off is reasonable but the stupidity in u couldn't comprehend what booking profit or mitigating risk meant. U have never owned a stock before I don't expect u to understand investment terminologies. Go stick with ur trolling threads this post is beyond ur capacity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by ppogba: 8:11am On Apr 05
perfri:
The person you quoted is actually right. when these banks recapitalize, this wouild mean issuing new shares in the market, which can reduce the ownership percentage and earnings per share for existing shareholders. This dilution could put downward pressure on the stock price. So actually, existing shareholders may likely want to sell off their stocks.

You are partially right.
For now, the banking stocks and the rest of the market is bearish because investors especially the institutional ones have a more lucrative alternative in the fixed income market as a result of the increase in MPR.

Hold me by my words. When the results of the tier one banks starts to flow into the market. By then, this theory of shares dilution will not hold.

Fluctuations in share prices is determined by so many factors so being tentative about the re- capitalisation as the major reason for now is lame and lazy.

1 Like

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by ppogba: 8:17am On Apr 05
Fibonacci88:

This douchebag u will be hopping from thread to thread spewing rubbish on threads beyond ur capacity. If u were sensible enough to comprehend the write up u will see that not all banks mentioned there are tier 1 bank. I gave a reason why a sell off is reasonable but the stupidity in u couldn't comprehend what booking profit or mitigating risk meant. U have never owned a stock before I don't expect u to understand investment terminologies. Go stick with ur trolling threads this post is beyond ur capacity.

Read my comment to the other guy It will educate you.

Without being immodest, I can boldly say I have been owning shares when you were a toddler. It is not everyone on Nairaland that is your presumed never do well.

I do not troll. I only take time to correct people with little knowledge claiming CRonaldo In topics they have little knowledge.
I strongly recommend my other comment to you.

1 Like

Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Mo6M: 8:28am On Apr 05
ppogba:

SEE FINISHING..... ME SEF, I SAY WERE THIS ONE COMOT FROM AGAIN..... grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by sofeo(m): 8:40am On Apr 05
Oooopps
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by IyfeNamikaze(m): 8:40am On Apr 05
ppogba:

You are partially right.
For now, the banking stocks and the rest of the market is bearish because investors especially the institutional ones have a more lucrative alternative in the fixed income market as a result of the increase in MPR.

Hold me by my words. When the results of the tier one banks starts to flow into the market. By then, this theory of shares dilution will not hold.

Fluctuations in share prices is determined by so many factors so being tentative about the re- capitalisation as the major reason for now is lame and lazy.
So what would be your advice to someone who holds a share with a tier 1 Bank right now, To sell or not to sell?
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by ppogba: 8:52am On Apr 05
IyfeNamikaze:
So what would be your advice to someone who holds a share with a tier 1 Bank right now, To sell or not to sell?

1. Your age and purpose of acquiring the shares ab initio will determine my answer. Did you buy it as a young man hoping to build a portfolio for your later years? If the answer to that is yes, do not sell.
2. Are you a young fella that his trading in shares with the intention of additional income.? If the answer is yes, do not sell for now pending when the big boys in the banking sector declare their results. One thing that is more certain than death at this point in time is that their results will be fantastic going by their Q3 results and most certainly bumper dividends will be declared. Thereafter, you can dump after a few days of rally that is if you are not interested in waiting for the date of dividend payment or even the dividend itself.

So many people are jumping the gun on what ways the bank will adopt to re- capitalise. I am not ready to go into that topic for now.
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Fibonacci88: 8:59am On Apr 05
ppogba:

Read my comment to the other guy It will educate you.

Without being immodest, I can boldly say I have been owning shares when you were a toddler. It is not everyone on Nairaland that is your presumed never do well.

I do not troll. I only take time to correct people with little knowledge claiming CRonaldo In topics they have little knowledge.
I strongly recommend my other comment to you.
old papa shut up. u were among the bandwagons who bought shares that turned junk in thier hands since u dont know when to take profits and mitigate risk. dont mention me again dey ur lane dont come under my mention to spew trash.
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by Goldbw122(m): 9:15am On Apr 05
They will not tell you about the profits that they make, they will tell you about the loss.
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by stunnert(m): 10:26am On Apr 05
They will re capitalise
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by IbeOkehie: 11:35am On Apr 05
The government is trying to force foreign investors to inject dollar capital into banks. Everyone should know that foreign investors own a major chunk of Nigerian banks.

Same game - get foreign dollars into Nigeria, trap it with forex regulations and buy it with useless naira and then export the dollars abroad to private accounts.

The dollars come in from foreign investors, diaspora remittances, crude oil sales, cocoa and other non-crude oil exports.

How do they get the naira to buy the dollars? Government contracts granted through corrupt means.

Politicians do government contract.

Government print naira and pay the politician.

Politician buys dollars at favorable CBN rate.

Politician export the dollars to private account abroad.

This is the grand scam going on in Nigeria. wink

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by patorial(m): 12:12pm On Apr 05
OilandGasMarket:
I thought Cardoso was looking to strengthen the banking system. Investors clearly don't believe him.

Do you even understand the the post at all.

There is always a sell off each thing a company wishes to delist it's stock on the exchange.
Re: NGX: Investors Lose ₦‎190 Billion As Tier-1 Banks Experience Sell-Offs by patorial(m): 12:13pm On Apr 05
onez:

I hope you know that CBN has no business with the economy??

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Plan To Probe Obasanjo - Okupe / BREAKING: President Buhari Appoints Ogbonaiya Onu As SFG / Presidential Panel Drags Nwaoboshi, Albert Bassey To CCT Over Assets Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.