Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? (147 Views)

ASUU Strike From 1999 To 2022 And Duration / How Long Is The Duration Of Phd Program In Nigeria Vs Abroad / Is It Legal To Take Two Undergraduate Courses Simultaneously? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:57pm On Apr 05
Why do you agree that time started xyz years ago?

as in , how can time begin to exist or happen?

Since an event requires time/duration in order to begin or end, then why is time taken as an event too?

IF you say there was no time xyz years ago,THEN check ur WAS again.

What does it mean?

There was.

How could you have a WAS/past in the absence of time?

then somebody says itz quantum physics and i cant understand but i check UNDERSTAND for evidence then i see POWERS that determine/enforce what the LAW must permit as EVIDENCE so i bring this up and invite

DeepSight

LordReed

budaatum

KnownUnknown

FRANCISTOWN

Gerrard59

and any other person that uses words like is,was, will,etc
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by KnownUnknown: 4:06pm On Apr 05
Paucity of human language relative to the intricacy and complexity of the universe (which we are part and parcel of. A lot of people talk about the universe as if we were placed in it instead of recognizing that we are a part of it)

Time began to exist when the primeval atom (universe) started expanding and evolving. Time is the result of the universe’s evolution. If things don’t change, then there is no time. Thanks for coming to my brief TED Talk. Take what I said with at least 2 grains of salt.
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by FRANCISTOWN: 6:20pm On Apr 05
Lemme try to explain using this in a layman's words.

First of all it was wrong to ask what was before The Big Bang, like what was the past of big bang? But this question would be wrong because before the bigbang there was no space therefore, we cannot talk about time. Because, Space and Time didn't exist separately they are part of same fabric called spacetime. If there is no space there is no time .

After the event of the big bang happened space and time itself come in existence and they happen to be inseparable.

For instance without space and time, we cannot define an event for instance. If I had a meeting with you and I say, meet my at lekki toll gate but I haven't given the time. You would probably not know when to come and likewise if I said let's meet by 10pm tomorrow and I haven't given you the space(place) to meet. You'd still be confused.

Therefore, space and time is a part of our reality.
Now this raises a question, because if space and time are inseparable. They should however have the same properties, how?

You are on earth, which is a part of the space therefore you can move in a 3 Dimensional direction. That is, you can go to the front, back, right, left,diagonal towards any direction at any angle, go up and go down.

Now lemme give you a simple experiment.
Stay at a spot let's say at 3:00pm, then walk 20meters towards any direction. Let's say the time is now 3:05PM, return to the same direction following the same path. You have returned to the place,but the time will not return to 3:00pm. Do you know why?

It's due to the second law of thermodynamics.

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system can never decrease over time.
Entropy simply means a disorderliness,

For example, a big chunk of ice falls on a rock and breaks to pieces. The amount of disorderliness has increased over time. If you picked another broken piece and drop it again, it will break the more. It cannot unbreak.

Expansion of the universe means the expansion of space and we know space and time are inseparable and space is expanding, that is why time is always increasing.

Suppose space suddenly starts contracting, then time will moves backward, but that is not true because the entropy of an isolated system is always increasing, therefore, time is always moving forward not backward as the universe is continuously expanding.
Take a video player for an example.

Also, time is relative and not absolute for different observers.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:29pm On Apr 05
KnownUnknown:
Paucity of human language relative to the intricacy and complexity of the universe (which we are part and parcel of. A lot of people talk about the universe as if we were placed in it instead of recognizing that we are a part of it)

Time began to exist when the primeval atom (universe) started expanding and evolving. Time is the result of the universe’s evolution. If things don’t change, then there is no time. Thanks for coming to my brief TED Talk. Take what I said with at least 2 grains of salt.

if that atom existed, nuff said.

how could it have EXISTED if there was no time/past?

if things dont change huh?

but how did u know there was no change in the absence of that expansion?
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:43pm On Apr 05
FRANCISTOWN:

First of all it was wrong to ask what was before The Big Bang, like what was the past of big bang? But this question would be wrong because before the bigbang there was no space therefore, we cannot talk about time. Because, Space and Time didn't exist separately they are part of same fabric called spacetime. If there is no space there is no time .

After the event of the big bang happened space and time itself come in existence and they happen to be inseparable.

For instance without space and time, we cannot define an event for instance. If I had a meeting with you and I say, meet my at lekki toll gate but I haven't given the time. You would probably not know when to come and likewise if I said let's meet by 10pm tomorrow and I haven't given you the space(place) to meet. You'd still be confused.

Now this raises a question, because if space and time are inseparable. They should however have the same properties, how?

You are on earth, which is a part of the space therefore you can move in a 3 Dimensional direction. That is, you can go to the front, back, right, left,diagonal towards any direction at any angle, go up and go down.

Stay at a spot let's say at 3:00pm, then walk 20meters towards any direction. Let's say the time is now 3:05PM, return to the same direction following the same path. You have returned to the place,but the time will not return to 3:00pm. Do you know why?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system can never decrease over time.

For example, a big chunk of ice falls on a rock and breaks to pieces. The amount of disorderliness has increased over time. If you picked another broken piece and drop it again, it will break the more. It cannot unbreak.

Expansion of the universe means the expansion of space and we know space and time are inseparable and space is expanding, that is why time is always increasing.

Suppose space suddenly starts contracting, then time will moves backward, but that is not true because the entropy of an isolated system is always increasing, therefore, time is always moving forward not backward as the universe is continuously expanding.

if u cant use b4, then u cant be using past tense, u cant be saying xyz happened.

if xyz happened, then 123 had to give way for it.

that means something else was happening instead of nothing

dont come and be using nothing in quotation marks when u know thatz not exactly nothing

what was happening?

what u did not witness

KnownUnknown

i neva said we are placed in a universe.
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 7:00pm On Apr 05
FRANCISTOWN:

and i never said time and space can exist separately

u are the one saying dont use b4

but u still say b4 this,there was no that.

dont use quotation marks here

i neva did
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by GodHimself: 1:51pm On Apr 06
I’m surprised I understood this. In essence time is a location.

Question: if the system can be “un-isolated”, then that means time can run backwards, and entropy can decrease. Right?

FRANCISTOWN:

Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 5:19pm On Apr 06
GodHimself:

Question: if the system can be “un-isolated”, then that means time can run backwards, and entropy can decrease. Right?

time is not a location

time must exist if theres space/location
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by GodHimself: 5:23pm On Apr 06
I may not have the right words yet.

It’s a navigation tool.

It’s a coordinate.

Your explanations are confusing. Use better words.

HellVictorinho6:

time is not a location

time must exist if theres space/location
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 5:47pm On Apr 06
GodHimself:
I may not have the right words yet.

It’s a navigation tool.

It’s a coordinate.

Your explanations are confusing. Use better words.

am not FRANCISTOWN

Time is the past ,present or future

Then,now or later

Cuz yesterday,2day or 2moro gives an answer to when?

They say there was no yesterday then 2moro came up

There was no b4 but there was after the bigbang

Nonsense!

They are using WAS again and again

Then they find more grama 2 defend it

U cant be using WAS and NO YESTERDAY in a single sentence

ask me why!

cuz the use of was means the existence of time as past

in the PAST, all u have is YESTERDAY

U need that PAST/B4 in order 4 the FUTURE/AFTER 2 be possible

The case was not expanding (past)

It is now expanding(present)

It will stop or keep expanding(future)
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by FRANCISTOWN: 6:25pm On Apr 06
GodHimself:
Time is not a location, time and space are just two sides of the same coin called spacetime. Time is only relative to location. That is, Time is relative for different observers in space.
If one brother of a pair of twins born on the same decides to travel into the space at 50% light speed when they both are at 20years. When he gets back from his journey after a month.
He will be 20years and a month old, but his brother on earth will be close to 80years. The more we travel faster towards the speed of light and towards gravity, the more time slows down.

Therefore time and space are not the same. But are only related. Their relationship gave birth to speed. Hence.

Speed= Distance/Time

GodHimself:

This question doesn't make sense because there is no true isolated system. The only true isolated system is the universe.
However, there are systems that can act as an isolated system. For instance, a thermoflask is an isolated system. But it's not truly isolated because gravity still acts on it.
When you hold it in your hand, it's reacting to the energy from your hand therefore resisting gravity.

Now fit that into your question. The only true isolated system is the Universe. Can the universe be un-isolated?

Time is directly proportional to the entropy, and not just the isolated system.

Therefore even if an isolated system becomes "un-isolated", time can never go back unless if the entropy reverses itself.

The only thing that can make time go back is if the entropy of such isolated system is reversed. Like if all of a sudden, universe start to contract back into that single entity before the bigbang. Then, time will reverse itself as entropy reverses itself. They'll go hand in hand.
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by FRANCISTOWN: 6:52pm On Apr 06
HellVictorinho6:

if u cant use b4, then u cant be using past tense, u cant be saying xyz happened.

if xyz happened, then 123 had to give way for it.

that means something else was happening instead of nothing

dont come and be using nothing in quotation marks when u know thatz not exactly nothing

what was happening?

what u did not witness

KnownUnknown

i neva said we are placed in a universe.

I guess I'm failing to understand your question. The reason many people might be avoiding this thread.

Your question not coherent enough, maybe you should figure out how to ask your questions in a more comprehensible way.
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:54pm On Apr 06
FRANCISTOWN:

Time is not a location, time and space are just two sides of the same coin called spacetime. Time is only relative to location. That is, Time is relative for different observers in space.
If one brother of a pair of twins born on the same decides to travel into the space at 50% light speed when they both are at 20years. When he gets back from his journey after a month.
He will be 20years and a month old, but his brother on earth will be close to 80years. The more we travel faster towards the speed of light and towards gravity, the more time slows down.

Therefore time and space are not the same. But are only related. Their relationship gave birth to speed. Hence.

Speed= Distance/Time

This question doesn't make sense because there is no true isolated system. The only true isolated system is the universe.
However, there are systems that can act as an isolated system. For instance, a thermoflask is an isolated system. But it's not truly isolated because gravity still acts on it.
When you hold it in your hand, it's reacting to the energy from your hand therefore resisting gravity.

Now fit that into your question. The only true isolated system is the Universe. Can the universe be un-isolated?

Time is directly proportional to the entropy, and not just the isolated system.

Therefore even if an isolated system becomes "un-isolated", time can never go back unless if the entropy reverses itself.

The only thing that can make time go back is if the entropy of such isolated system is reversed. Like if all of a sudden, universe start to contract back into that single entity before the bigbang. Then, time will reverse itself as entropy reverses itself. They'll go hand in hand.

But u said theres no b4 big bang
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by FRANCISTOWN: 7:01pm On Apr 06
HellVictorinho6:

But u said theres no b4 big bang
Are you referring to what happened before the bigbang?
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 4:23am On Apr 07
FRANCISTOWN:

Are you referring to what happened before the bigbang?

You said itz wrong to ask what happened b4 the big bang cuz theres nothing like b4 the big bang

But u still went ahead to say before the big bang , bla bla bla

Thatz contradicting
Re: Why Is Time Taken As An Event And The Duration Of An Event Simultaneously? by HellVictorinho6(m): 4:46am On Apr 07
FRANCISTOWN:

I guess I'm failing to understand your question. The reason many people might be avoiding this thread.

Your question not coherent enough, maybe you should figure out how to ask your questions in a more comprehensible way.

Einstein said there was no time billions of years ago

I disagree cuz you cant have billions of years in the past without having today and you cant have today if it was never tomorrow

That means the big bang ,if it HAPPENED, did not bring time/space into existence

In fact, time/space cannot begin to exist.

I disagree with einstein

They are not things with an ability to happen so am like why should i agree?

Their existence does not happen.

Their existence is required for something to happen or for something to be happening or for something to have or had happened or anything like that.

(1) (Reply)

Will Karma Help You Get A Job? / Federal University Of Technology, Owerr. 2019/2020 Pre-degree, IJMB, Sandwich & / Very Important

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.