Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain (1107 Views)

Is There Any Moderator Of Northern Extraction On Nairaland? / Ojudu, Others Remain Suspended - Ekiti APC Disagrees With National Body / Army Frees 978 Detained Boko Haram Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Tranquillity360: 9:42pm On Apr 05
Nigerian Army Allegedly Frees Soldiers Of ‘Northern Extraction’ Facing Murder, Reabsorbs Them Into Service While Others Remain In Detention In Enugu .

The two soldiers are Pte Usman Shonva and another identified only as Audu.

Two Nigerian soldiers who were being court-martialled in the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army for murder have been freed and re-absorbed into service, multiple military sources have told SaharaReporters.

While Shonva allegedly shot and killed one of his course mates in Ohoafia, Abia State in 2022, Audu was accused of killing a Togolese national and one other person in Anambra State.

In October 2023, the army authorities had said twenty-five soldiers and an officer were being court-martialled in the 82 Division for various offences.

“The personnel facing the trial are drawn from various formations within the division, whose area of responsibility covers the entire South-East states and Cross River,” General Officer Commanding, 82 Division, Maj. Gen. Hassan Dada had said while inaugurating the court martial in Enugu.

He said the court was necessary to ensure accountability and compliance within the military justice system in pursuant to the Nigerian Armed Forces Act.

The court martial has one Col. Usman Ahmad, as President leading 10 members.

It also has a Judge Advocate, Capt. S.A. Sadiq, to duly advise the panel as the proceedings continued.

The list of the 25 soldiers has been exclusively obtained by SaharaReporters.

According to sources, apart from Shonva and Audu, some soldiers from the Northern region who were charged for arms dealing and other minor offences were also discharged and acquitted while those from other regions with same charges remained in detention.

Shonva is the son of late Lieutenant Colonel Shonva who was the commanding officer of 195 battalion in Damboa, Borno State, before his death

Speaking to SaharaReporters, a Captain aware of the action accused the court martial led by Col. Usman Ahmad of corruption, nepotism and marginalisation.

Another officer, a Lieutenant from the Northern part of the country also kicked against the action of the court martial.

“This is wrong, even though I’m a Muslim and Northerner, I’m against this, it doesn’t speak well at all, why acquitting those from a particular region alone? Even those accused of murder were released but others with minor offences remain in detention, it doesn’t sound well cause we (Northerners) serving over here in the South aren’t safe,” he said.

Also speaking to SaharaReporters, one of the accused soldiers said, “We need to let the whole world know what's going on in the Nigerian military especially the Army. Something bad is currently happening and if no one addresses it, the issue will be bad. Most of my colleagues still serving from Southern part of the country are really fuming and this issue may turn to something else if not properly addressed by the government and Chief of Army Staff, General Lagbaja.

“The army and Nigerian government keep lying to all of us especially people from the Southern part of the country, saying that we are one Nigeria but I bet you, it's all lies.

“I am a one of the soldiers serving under 82 Division in Enugu and currently in detention. Military court martial was scheduled and inaugurated since October last year for 25 of us. Sadly, out of the figure I gave you, they released those capital offenses on religious and tribalism lines.

“A soldier from the North was removed from the court martial after inauguration all because he is from the Northern part of this country. All these are fact. They forgave him automatically and released him. The legal service director here in Enugu and his cohort diverted everything to tribal and religious lines.

“We all from Southern part of Nigeria kept our hope high cause we believed the GOC who during his address while the court was inaugurated said that all accused persons rights won’t be violated and all accused persons have right to fair hearing but reverse was the story.

“In the law, I think murder is the highest capital offense but the director of legal service in the person of Major HY shehu and others discharged and acquitted two soldiers who committed murder. The first person was freed because he is a Muslim and his father was a serving officer before he died in Borno, and that his mother has high blood pressure, isn’t that funny? And one will begin to worry or guess if we don't have mothers, and if our own parents and spouses don’t have blood running in their veins.

“This very soldier I’m telling you about shot and killed his course mate in Ohoafia, Abia state. He deliberately shot and killed him in cold blood but the court martial discharged and acquitted him without any conviction. He is Pte Usman Shonva of 145 battalion, though he is from Taraba state, he was raised in Kaduna state.

“The second accused person killed a Togolese national and one other person in Anambra state. He is from Kebbi state and was discharged and acquitted. He was even granted bail for several weeks before judgement was passed. Guess what? Both are also backed in service.

“Currently, as I’m talking to you, PTE Usman shonva is working under the 82div Provost Group. The second person they released is Audu and he is now an artillery personnel serving under 302 artillery GS Onitsha.”

“Both of them who killed out of all of us were released unconditionally and currently working with same Nigerian Army,” another accused soldier told SaharaReporters.

“However, we soldiers from the Southern extraction are locked up on minor offences and denied bail. And they already told us even as the case is still going on that we shouldn't waste our time, that we should all prepare to go to jail or appeal. Sadly most of us have stayed in military detention for years, no one has been in detention for less than one-year.

“Each time, our lawyers talk and object to some of the fake documents the persecution counsel of the army brings, the martial court judge advocate will admit instantly. The army is mourning dead soldiers and at the same time jailing the innocent ones. The worst part of it is that they don't release court proceedings to our lawyers for one to go for appeal. They keep everything for years. Please kindly help inform the whole world about this evil going on in the army. As I am talking to you I don't know where my wife and kids are. They don't allow them visit us. We have been in the guard room since 2022.

“Check that list, apart from those who killed people, other Northerners with minor offences had been freed as well. I can’t say maybe they were absorbed back but I know one of them, Pte Ali is currently working and in active service.

“What they did was to send some of the Northerners back to the North just to shield them away from being punished. So most are in active service. But one single person from the Southern part wasn’t released, just one person, check that list and see the number of Southerners, yet none was released but over 10 Northerners were freed. No proper medication for we detainees, no feeding.”

He added, “They don't allow us to communicate with our families or allow them to even come see us.”

Also speaking to SaharaReporters, an officer serving in the division said, “Most of them that were in detention, I mean the Northerners were removed. Pte Shonva Usman shot and killed his course mate in cold blood in Abia State around May 2022. He was charged for murder but was discharged and acquitted because he is a Muslim from North, his dad died in service and that his mum has high BP.

“MWO Audu Peni serving in 302artillery GS Onitsha killed a Togolese National during his deployment in a community in Anambra state and was charged for murder and was also discharged and acquitted.

Another Northerner, Pte Ali from Borno state and was arrested with Indian hemp and was also court Martial but they released him after inauguration, and he has resumed work here with us.

“Note that Audu wasn’t on the list you sent to me to confirm because they never wanted to court-martialed him. He was released from detention at Onitsha Anambra state before he was brought on the Inauguration Day.

“He joined up in 82div HQ Enugu after they tried to see if they can maneuver his case but couldn't due to the fear that a letter was raised by the Togolese embassy to the COAS. So they had to do there Abracadabra and let him go. Another soldier from Kaduna state who lost his rifle in Agbani in Enugu was also removed from court and sent back to his unit for summary trial. But none of the Southerners has been released so far. So sad.”

Meanwhile, SaharaReporters’ efforts to get the reaction of the Nigerian Army were unsuccessful, as its spokesperson, Onyema Nwachukwu could not pick his calls as the phone rang out.

A text message also sent to his line was not replied as at the time of this report.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/05/exclusive-nigerian-army-allegedly-frees-soldiers-northern-extraction-facing-murder?fbclid=IwAR2Bj5SSGS3NlXsjBee5bRWJOyYUvp1HbfpDCeo0zSq2O1Q62qLGZIVhxAY#google_vignette

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Tranquillity360: 9:42pm On Apr 05
One Nigeria indeed grin grin

I know Nigeria military is divided, they are just trying to manage/Cover the division.

I really pray the division will widing very well and explode,make everyone answer e papa name. grin grin

They should continue grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by SmartPolician: 9:47pm On Apr 05
This is a weighty allegation and should be investigated by the right authorities.
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Zooposki(f): 10:10pm On Apr 05
Just imagine. Oloriburuku people. Spits on their terrorist head.
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Iberl: 10:15pm On Apr 05
How do you expect people to love themselves in this country with news like a this

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by ahaz: 10:22pm On Apr 05
Tranquillity360:
Where are the one nijerianist Oya be patriotic come and defend your pathetic country as usual

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Chicagograduate(m): 10:29pm On Apr 05
In the army recruitment,all guidelines in the recruitment process are strictly followed in the south.But you see the north,they bypass it.What about repentant bokoharam who were granted pardon and recruited into the army without educational credentials?
The army don't follow the guidelines in recruiting the northerners at all.
Nigeria is one on paper but not in reality.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by NOwazobia: 10:40pm On Apr 05
Waiting for more details and clarification before I bomb... lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:42pm On Apr 05
grin

The Chief of Defence Staff, is Gen Christopher Musa who is from THE NORTH. He is neither a Fulanis nor a Hausa and he is a Christian. Could this be the reason why?! undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by ebufa: 10:46pm On Apr 05
Tranquillity360:

Tell that to the mumu obidients who believe that nigeria can be salvaged!
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Forkthiefnubu: 10:50pm On Apr 05
Why are they doing this to Nigeria ?
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by odinaccess: 11:19pm On Apr 05
When u re in any Nigeria military or paramilitary you will cry over how deep this shit runs ,that's the major reason Nigeria can never win the war against terrorism and insecurity

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by limeta(f): 5:51am On Apr 06
Thats how the shit been for years
Why do southerners pretend like they don't know shit is real

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Artscollection: 6:06am On Apr 06
I was thinking the fulani are the problem of this country but alas they are not!!! I noticed the wicked nepotism and incompetence of the highest order since the emergence of lagbaja n the bingo from kaduna.
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by helinues: 6:08am On Apr 06
Source: Saharareporters

grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Tranquillity360: 6:12am On Apr 06
helinues:
Source: Saharareporters

grin cheesy
But You won't have problem with the source if it was those lie about how ipob do this and that.

Hypocrite.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by helinues: 6:12am On Apr 06
Tranquillity360:
But You won't have problem with the source if it was those lie about how ipob do this and that.

Hypocrite.

What's this one saying?
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by overall90: 6:15am On Apr 06
Where are the victim mentality crew, oya
Come and accuse these military personnel of having victim mentality for pointing out this obvious evil that have been going on in this useless contraption.
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Tranquillity360: 6:26am On Apr 06
helinues:

What's this one saying?
Daft,tribalist and hypocrite won't understand what I am saying.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by helinues: 6:27am On Apr 06
Tranquillity360:
Daft,tribalist and hypocrite won't understand what I am saying.

Lol

It's been years you guys have been coming online just to attack others for no reason. Hope that's not how you guys are in real life sha cos this kind of behavior can't make someone go far in life
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Dafresh: 6:37am On Apr 06
helinues:

What's this one saying?
He said you're a sadist and you love propagate lies
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by helinues: 6:40am On Apr 06
Dafresh:

He said you're a sadist and you love propagate lies

The person said, and you already swallowed the Dem said..

Oya, let me dare all of you together to provide proofs to back this your claim up.

If you can't, then STFU

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Beremx(f): 6:44am On Apr 06
Una go cry tire. Nobody forced you to join the Army. Deal with it
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Minime10(f): 6:59am On Apr 06
Tranquillity360:
Nigerian Army Allegedly Frees Soldiers Of ‘Northern Extraction’ Facing Murder, Reabsorbs Them Into Service While Others Remain In Detention In Enugu .

Two Nigerian soldiers who were being court-martialled in the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army for murder have been freed and re-absorbed into service, multiple military sources have told SaharaReporters.

While Shonva allegedly shot and killed one of his course mates in Ohoafia, Abia State in 2022, Audu was accused of killing a Togolese national and one other person in Anambra State.

In October 2023, the army authorities had said twenty-five soldiers and an officer were being court-martialled in the 82 Division for various offences.

“The personnel facing the trial are drawn from various formations within the division, whose area of responsibility covers the entire South-East states and Cross River,” General Officer Commanding, 82 Division, Maj. Gen. Hassan Dada had said while inaugurating the court martial in Enugu.

He said the court was necessary to ensure accountability and compliance within the military justice system in pursuant to the Nigerian Armed Forces Act.

The court martial has one Col. Usman Ahmad, as President leading 10 members.

It also has a Judge Advocate, Capt. S.A. Sadiq, to duly advise the panel as the proceedings continued.

The list of the 25 soldiers has been exclusively obtained by SaharaReporters.

According to sources, apart from Shonva and Audu, some soldiers from the Northern region who were charged for arms dealing and other minor offences were also discharged and acquitted while those from other regions with same charges remained in detention.

Shonva is the son of late Lieutenant Colonel Shonva who was the commanding officer of 195 battalion in Damboa, Borno State, before his death

Speaking to SaharaReporters, a Captain aware of the action accused the court martial led by Col. Usman Ahmad of corruption, nepotism and marginalisation.

Another officer, a Lieutenant from the Northern part of the country also kicked against the action of the court martial.

“This is wrong, even though I’m a Muslim and Northerner, I’m against this, it doesn’t speak well at all, why acquitting those from a particular region alone? Even those accused of murder were released but others with minor offences remain in detention, it doesn’t sound well cause we (Northerners) serving over here in the South aren’t safe,” he said.

Also speaking to SaharaReporters, one of the accused soldiers said, “We need to let the whole world know what's going on in the Nigerian military especially the Army. Something bad is currently happening and if no one addresses it, the issue will be bad. Most of my colleagues still serving from Southern part of the country are really fuming and this issue may turn to something else if not properly addressed by the government and Chief of Army Staff, General Lagbaja.

“The army and Nigerian government keep lying to all of us especially people from the Southern part of the country, saying that we are one Nigeria but I bet you, it's all lies.

“I am a one of the soldiers serving under 82 Division in Enugu and currently in detention. Military court martial was scheduled and inaugurated since October last year for 25 of us. Sadly, out of the figure I gave you, they released those capital offenses on religious and tribalism lines.

“A soldier from the North was removed from the court martial after inauguration all because he is from the Northern part of this country. All these are fact. They forgave him automatically and released him. The legal service director here in Enugu and his cohort diverted everything to tribal and religious lines.

“We all from Southern part of Nigeria kept our hope high cause we believed the GOC who during his address while the court was inaugurated said that all accused persons rights won’t be violated and all accused persons have right to fair hearing but reverse was the story.

“In the law, I think murder is the highest capital offense but the director of legal service in the person of Major HY shehu and others discharged and acquitted two soldiers who committed murder. The first person was freed because he is a Muslim and his father was a serving officer before he died in Borno, and that his mother has high blood pressure, isn’t that funny? And one will begin to worry or guess if we don't have mothers, and if our own parents and spouses don’t have blood running in their veins.

“This very soldier I’m telling you about shot and killed his course mate in Ohoafia, Abia state. He deliberately shot and killed him in cold blood but the court martial discharged and acquitted him without any conviction. He is Pte Usman Shonva of 145 battalion, though he is from Taraba state, he was raised in Kaduna state.

“The second accused person killed a Togolese national and one other person in Anambra state. He is from Kebbi state and was discharged and acquitted. He was even granted bail for several weeks before judgement was passed. Guess what? Both are also backed in service.

“Currently, as I’m talking to you, PTE Usman shonva is working under the 82div Provost Group. The second person they released is Audu and he is now an artillery personnel serving under 302 artillery GS Onitsha.”

“Both of them who killed out of all of us were released unconditionally and currently working with same Nigerian Army,” another accused soldier told SaharaReporters.

“However, we soldiers from the Southern extraction are locked up on minor offences and denied bail. And they already told us even as the case is still going on that we shouldn't waste our time, that we should all prepare to go to jail or appeal. Sadly most of us have stayed in military detention for years, no one has been in detention for less than one-year.

“Each time, our lawyers talk and object to some of the fake documents the persecution counsel of the army brings, the martial court judge advocate will admit instantly. The army is mourning dead soldiers and at the same time jailing the innocent ones. The worst part of it is that they don't release court proceedings to our lawyers for one to go for appeal. They keep everything for years. Please kindly help inform the whole world about this evil going on in the army. As I am talking to you I don't know where my wife and kids are. They don't allow them visit us. We have been in the guard room since 2022.

“Check that list, apart from those who killed people, other Northerners with minor offences had been freed as well. I can’t say maybe they were absorbed back but I know one of them, Pte Ali is currently working and in active service.

“What they did was to send some of the Northerners back to the North just to shield them away from being punished. So most are in active service. But one single person from the Southern part wasn’t released, just one person, check that list and see the number of Southerners, yet none was released but over 10 Northerners were freed. No proper medication for we detainees, no feeding.”

He added, “They don't allow us to communicate with our families or allow them to even come see us.”

Also speaking to SaharaReporters, an officer serving in the division said, “Most of them that were in detention, I mean the Northerners were removed. Pte Shonva Usman shot and killed his course mate in cold blood in Abia State around May 2022. He was charged for murder but was discharged and acquitted because he is a Muslim from North, his dad died in service and that his mum has high BP.

“MWO Audu Peni serving in 302artillery GS Onitsha killed a Togolese National during his deployment in a community in Anambra state and was charged for murder and was also discharged and acquitted.

Another Northerner, Pte Ali from Borno state and was arrested with Indian hemp and was also court Martial but they released him after inauguration, and he has resumed work here with us.

“Note that Audu wasn’t on the list you sent to me to confirm because they never wanted to court-martialed him. He was released from detention at Onitsha Anambra state before he was brought on the Inauguration Day.

“He joined up in 82div HQ Enugu after they tried to see if they can maneuver his case but couldn't due to the fear that a letter was raised by the Togolese embassy to the COAS. So they had to do there Abracadabra and let him go. Another soldier from Kaduna state who lost his rifle in Agbani in Enugu was also removed from court and sent back to his unit for summary trial. But none of the Southerners has been released so far. So sad.”

Meanwhile, SaharaReporters’ efforts to get the reaction of the Nigerian Army were unsuccessful, as its spokesperson, Onyema Nwachukwu could not pick his calls as the phone rang out.

A text message also sent to his line was not replied as at the time of this report.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/05/exclusive-nigerian-army-allegedly-frees-soldiers-northern-extraction-facing-murder?fbclid=IwAR2Bj5SSGS3NlXsjBee5bRWJOyYUvp1HbfpDCeo0zSq2O1Q62qLGZIVhxAY#google_vignette

If I pity any of una make I know wetin cause am.
Nigerians soldiers no deserve pity from the civilian masses at all.
If there is a civil and a peaceful rally over a government policy that will even benefit the soldiers too, it is this same soldiers that government will sent to go and shot the peaceful protesters to death.
Make una try dey carry una own cross in peace & stop disturbing us on social media with una story a beg🤾
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Tranquillity360: 7:10am On Apr 06
helinues:

Lol

It's been years you guys have been coming online just to attack others for no reason. Hope that's not how you guys are in real life sha cos this kind of behavior can't make someone go far in life

Hahaha being a hypocrite, hatefill and enemy of freedom will make you go far in life grin grin

Continue
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by AcadaWriter: 7:14am On Apr 06
Why are they doing this to Nigeria ?
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Cassandraloius: 7:44am On Apr 06
Na wa o.
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by unclejb2(m): 7:47am On Apr 06
Any south easterner in the Nigerian army is there fully at his own risk
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by Iamanoited: 8:10am On Apr 06
INJUSTICES AND INSECURITIES CONTINUE.

GANDUJE SINGLEHANDEDLY IMPEACHED AND BANISHED EMIR SLS BECAUSE HE TALKED TOO MUCH.
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by paramakina202: 8:16am On Apr 06
ebufa:

Tell that to the mumu obidients who believe that nigeria can be salvaged!

What have mumu secessionist achieved in the past 60 years?
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by CrossRhodes: 8:54am On Apr 06
Tranquillity360:

I know Nigeria military is divided, they are just trying to manage/Cover the division.

I really pray the division will widing very well and explode,make everyone answer e papa name. grin grin

They should continue grin grin
True they are papering over the cracks of division...
But I know the shoot out go start from the army when time comes
Re: Nigerian Army Frees Soldiers Of ‘northern Extraction Facing Murder,others Remain by OloYeOfEgbE: 10:29am On Apr 06
Ndi Ala moves

Na wa

(1) (2) (Reply)

( Pat Utomi May Be The Last) / A Defiant Vp Picks Ac Presidential Ticket Today / Bode George To Yar'adua's Cos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.