Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,749 members, 7,813,459 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan (15297 Views)

CBN Stops IOCs From Remitting 100% Of Forex Proceeds Abroad / Naira Falls After CBN Stops Forex Sales To BDCs / CBN Stops Sale Of FOREX To BDCs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by LegendHero(m): 2:44pm On Apr 08
The Central Bank of Nigeria has written to all banks in Nigeria to stop the use of foreign currencies as collateral for naira loans.

It disclosed this in a circular uploaded to its website on Monday.

The apex bank said it had observed the use of FCY by bank customers as collateral for naira loans and, therefore, prohibits it with immediate effect.

https://punchng.com/breaking-cbn-stops-use-of-foreign-currencies-as-collateral-for-naira-loan/

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by DenreleDave(m): 2:48pm On Apr 08
when details follow, i will understand

But as for now, i dont understand

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Donaldoni: 2:50pm On Apr 08
Nice one!
Dollar MUST be rendered completely useless within Nigeria angry

151 Likes 12 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by yommen: 2:52pm On Apr 08
DenreleDave:

It will reduce demand for $ which will strengthen Naira.

149 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by DeLaRue: 2:52pm On Apr 08
Good.

Nigerian banks are a big clog in the wheel of this economy.

102 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by LegendHero(m): 2:57pm On Apr 08
DenreleDave:

I also don’t have the full details. I also don’t know if it’s a beneficial decision or not yet.

But from the deadline, it’s self explanatory enough.

—There are some people who borrow loans from banks and instead of using Nigeria assets as collateral, they can choose to use their foreign currency as the collateral for the naira denominated loan.

—So if I have foreign currency assets, but need naira financing for a project, I can approach banks and they accept that as collateral.

—Now you can use;
Real estate properties wey dey within Naija..
Treasury bills and bonds issued by the Nigerian government.
Marketable securities like shares listed on the NSE.
Other tangible assets valued and verified in Nigerian naira.
All those fixed deposits and etc

135 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by 9jatriot(m): 2:58pm On Apr 08
CBN has done a lot of things right in recent times that even when we do not understand their actions, we somehow know that they are trying to achieve an aim.

Who else has noticed that Lamba king is now careful not to criticize the CBN in particular. When USD was increasing arbitrarily, he was always quick to release trader-level economic advice to make his followers think he knew what he is doing.

He was hoping that USD goes north of 2500 naira. I hope he learns that there is more to life than just saving cost.

Thank God most of his suggestions were at variance with those of the CBN otherwise his mob would have claimed that CBN took his advice to make the little progress they have been making.

99 Likes 11 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by LegendHero(m): 3:06pm On Apr 08
DenreleDave:

Another way to look at this could be that CBN trying to increase FX inflow.

—Normally when you have cash reserve in $$ as an individual and you want to execute a project in Nigeria, you should have sent it as inflow and convert it to naira and etc.

—But some people got the $$, and instead of inflow, they keep their dollars assets, approach bank and get naira loan backed by that, so they just retain their dollars and put more pressure on the naira.

—Now you won’t be able to do that. Either use your asset in Nigeria as collateral (if you have), or send that $$ you’re keeping abroad back home for that thing you’re tryna do.

Now people can argue that it could cause distortion as those set of people won’t have incentive to get loan again and it might kill business and productivity. But I’m sure CBN have studied the merits and demerits of both arm.

137 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Mynd44: 3:08pm On Apr 08
Seem Cardi B's mission this year is to reduce the pressure in the Naira and allow it rise by itself

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by socialmediaman: 3:10pm On Apr 08
This report doesn't provide any context at all, knowing that most readers have no idea what this means

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the lowest), I think this directive will have a low impact (2 perhaps) on strengthening the naira against foreign currencies.

First, while the aim of the directive is to potentially boost foreign reserves, foreign investors could see it as a negative indication that government wants to have more control over the local currency. Also, this may be seen as a desperate move by the government to address balance of payment deficits. Usually, you address balance of payment deficits by increasing exports, reducing imports, promoting tourism and remittances, attracting FDI etc.

Secondly, this may affect the already existing risk management strategies of these commercial banks. They're using foreign currencies to hedge against loan defaults. What alternative strategies are you bringing to the table if this has worked for them over time in an environment with high probability of political and policy instability?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by YeyeGbami: 3:10pm On Apr 08
CBN no wan gree this time

99 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Macdeey: 3:11pm On Apr 08
DenreleDave:

One of the practice that is making the Banks Hoard dollers .
Thus Dollar availability becomes impossible 😞😞😞

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Lanre4uonly(m): 3:11pm On Apr 08
Good development.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by buharibanjo(m): 3:11pm On Apr 08
Hmm..
So it was so?
Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:11pm On Apr 08
Like play like joke N100 to $1 rapidly approaching

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Starboytwo(m): 3:11pm On Apr 08
Kai, some people day don spoil with dis good news. Na so dem go squeeze face upandan till evening.

Nigeria will be Great

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by sofeo(m): 3:12pm On Apr 08
Nice.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by tuoyoojo(m): 3:12pm On Apr 08
Nice one

This one seems sustainable

7 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Shinjawestern: 3:12pm On Apr 08
If u like sell Ur dollars na U Sabi...

Dollar will still go up after sallah

God bless the good people of Southsouth and Southwest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by PheelzAlmighty: 3:12pm On Apr 08
As much as I pray for things to improve, I don't trust our government. We are far too corrupt to accommodate any miracle.

Tinupoo is a criminal, goat no fit born lion.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Goodlady(f): 3:12pm On Apr 08
Good move.
This is the Bulaba I know.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by stagger: 3:13pm On Apr 08
Jimoh Ibrahim used this strategy to hedge his Naira loan exposures, only repaying them off when the Pound had significantly gained against the Naira.

16 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by qtx(m): 3:13pm On Apr 08

2 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by SmartyPants(m): 3:13pm On Apr 08
Donaldoni:
Nice one!
Dollar MUST be rendered completely useless within Nigeria angry

You spoke exactly the words in my mind. I really mean word for word! Dollars must be rendered completely useless for anything other than international trade.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by bigdammyj: 3:13pm On Apr 08
Noted.
Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Melagros(m): 3:14pm On Apr 08
COMRADES, I don't know when this drug lord will kick the ground

1 Like

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Beverlyjean(f): 3:15pm On Apr 08
Nice one

1 Like

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by eliwa47(m): 3:15pm On Apr 08
Walahi dollar must fall and Crash laslas grin

9 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by Angelfrost(m): 3:15pm On Apr 08
Every step taken to mitigate the demand and dependence on the Dollar at the detriment of the Naira is most welcome.

Nothing will give me more joy than to see Nigeria's economy soaring high.

I await to see the prices of goods and services plummet all over the nation.

Pharmaceuticals are still very expensive.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by omoadeleye(m): 3:15pm On Apr 08
Uhm
Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by CountinBlessins(m): 3:16pm On Apr 08
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A MASTER STROKE!!! TINUBU I HAIL YOU! EVEN THOUGH YOUY STOLE PO's Mandate o, i havent forgiven you , but damn!!!! this man is brilliant!!!!!

WOW!!! JUST WOW!!!
If only you all realize what this master stroke move is!!! grin grin grin grin grin
He is blocking all the loop holes used by governors, senators etc all corrupt polirtcians use these loops holes to stole our wealth in dollars

21 Likes

Re: CBN Stops Use Of Foreign Currencies As Collateral For Naira Loan by phemray(m): 3:20pm On Apr 08
DenreleDave:

I think a good step further to relax the use of and demand for dollars in naira transactions

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Steps To Become Your Own Boss And Control Your Finances / Total Plans To Sell Stake In Nigerian Oil Block / Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.