Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 (733 Views)

See What A Commercial Bus In Lagos Uses As Its Fuel Tank (photos) / Parts Of A Car That Has The Biggest Impact On Fuel Economy / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 5:09am On Apr 09
Hello, everyone. I have read numerous articles here and on other forums regarding thermostats and car cooling systems.

Recently, I purchased a 2009 Honda Inspire/Accord 2.0L, which has slight differences from both models, and I want to share my experience.

Upon acquiring the car, I noticed that the O2 sensor was faulty. Despite this, the car is exceptionally clean; the previous owner bought it brand new in 2010, and both the engine bay and interior still look fresh. Additionally, the wiring remains untouched.

Interestingly, I discovered that the thermostat had been removed, so I inquired with the previous owner. He mentioned that his mechanic removed it, citing typical weather concerns. When I asked if the car had a history of overheating, he assured me it had never happened.

Nevertheless, I decided to install the thermostat.

Initially, I tested it with hot water to ensure it was functioning correctly. However, I then realized that the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) was faulty, providing inaccurate readings. Consequently, I replaced it.

I suspect the faulty CTS may have been the reason for the previous removal of the thermostat.

After installing the thermostat and restoring the cooling system to its factory default by removing the fan bypass, everything seemed to be working properly.

It's worth noting that I hadn't encountered any Check Engine Light (CEL) issues since replacing the O2 sensor. However, a day later, the CEL illuminated, but unfortunately, my Bluetooth scanner failed, leaving me uneasy.

Additionally, during this period, I had acquired an additional 22 liters of fuel to monitor fuel economy. I was pleased to observe that when the coolant temperature reached 105 degrees Celsius, the fan activated, and it turned off when the temperature dropped to 98 degrees Celsius. This appeared to be the expected behavior.

In summary, I covered a total of 155 miles, and upon scanning, I discovered that the newly acquired O2 sensor had been damaged. Despite this setback, with the cooling system intact, I managed to achieve a fuel economy of 11.63 km/L even without the functioning O2 sensor.

I plan to acquire another O2 sensor today.

To conclude, I want to emphasize that anyone suggesting the removal of a thermostat should be disregarded. The internal temperature of your engine is not determined by the climate but rather by its operation. Engine temperature can be twice as hot as the weather on a very sunny day. It's essential to diagnose and address the root cause of any overheating issues.

I want to express my gratitude to all those who advocate against removing the thermostat.

Kingreign, gazzuzz, jceesquare, nurey

First test with O2 sensor and fan bypass 145miles

Second test with no O2 sensor but proper cooling system. 155 miles

Same driving condition,mileage was recorded immediately reserve light came on. Note worthy, I used more AC during the second test.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 5:11am On Apr 09
Good. But I'm never driving an Honda again. Benz all through
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 5:14am On Apr 09
Kewtt:
Good. But I'm never driving an Honda again. Benz all through
.. Haahaha, why?
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by nurey(m): 5:27am On Apr 09
Good luck getting O2 sensor for that inspire, that will be like finding a needle in a haystack. But if you can import, no problems.
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 5:32am On Apr 09
nurey:
Good luck getting O2 sensor for that inspire, that will be like finding a needle in a haystack. But if you can import, no problems.
..i did find one that worked, Belgium but died after 3 days. I guess it was for the accord.
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by nurey(m): 5:36am On Apr 09
remi4ever:

..i did find one that worked, Belgium but died after 3 days. I guess it was for the accord.

O2 sensor and AF sensor for Honda are model specific not even engine specific. If you get one from accord with same engine as yours, bro it won't work cause they are specific. Also OEM sensors won't work with honda even if it was made by bosch or denso

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 6:40am On Apr 09
remi4ever:
.. Haahaha, why?
My life and Honda are not compatible
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 6:41am On Apr 09
nurey:

O2 sensor and AF sensor for Honda are model specific not even engine specific. If you get one from accord with same engine as yours, bro it won't work cause they are specific. Also OEM sensors won't work with honda even if it was made by bosch or denso
You see?
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 6:42am On Apr 09
nurey:
You see? The day I sold my Honda Civic has been one of my happiest days
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 6:43am On Apr 09
remi4ever:

You see. There's a reason why the Honda thread is getting longer
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 7:00am On Apr 09
Kewtt:

You see. There's a reason why the Honda thread is getting longer

😆 😆 Very funny. So the most reliable car brand with millions of consumers isn't supposed to have issues? Every Mallam with his kettle Sha.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by jceesquare(m): 7:52am On Apr 09
remi4ever:
Hello, everyone. I have read numerous articles here and on other forums regarding thermostats and car cooling systems.

Recently, I purchased a 2009 Honda Inspire/Accord 2.0L, which has slight differences from both models, and I want to share my experience.

Upon acquiring the car, I noticed that the O2 sensor was faulty. Despite this, the car is exceptionally clean; the previous owner bought it brand new in 2010, and both the engine bay and interior still look fresh. Additionally, the wiring remains untouched.

Interestingly, I discovered that the thermostat had been removed, so I inquired with the previous owner. He mentioned that his mechanic removed it, citing typical weather concerns. When I asked if the car had a history of overheating, he assured me it had never happened.

Nevertheless, I decided to install the thermostat.

Initially, I tested it with hot water to ensure it was functioning correctly. However, I then realized that the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) was faulty, providing inaccurate readings. Consequently, I replaced it.

I suspect the faulty CTS may have been the reason for the previous removal of the thermostat.

After installing the thermostat and restoring the cooling system to its factory default by removing the fan bypass, everything seemed to be working properly.

It's worth noting that I hadn't encountered any Check Engine Light (CEL) issues since replacing the O2 sensor. However, a day later, the CEL illuminated, but unfortunately, my Bluetooth scanner failed, leaving me uneasy.

Additionally, during this period, I had acquired an additional 22 liters of fuel to monitor fuel economy. I was pleased to observe that when the coolant temperature reached 105 degrees Celsius, the fan activated, and it turned off when the temperature dropped to 98 degrees Celsius. This appeared to be the expected behavior.

In summary, I covered a total of 155 miles, and upon scanning, I discovered that the newly acquired O2 sensor had been damaged. Despite this setback, with the cooling system intact, I managed to achieve a fuel economy of 11.63 km/L even without the functioning O2 sensor.

I plan to acquire another O2 sensor today.

To conclude, I want to emphasize that anyone suggesting the removal of a thermostat should be disregarded. The internal temperature of your engine is not determined by the climate but rather by its operation. Engine temperature can be twice as hot as the weather on a very sunny day. It's essential to diagnose and address the root cause of any overheating issues.

I want to express my gratitude to all those who advocate against removing the thermostat.

Kingreign, gazzuzz, jceesquare, nurey

First test with O2 sensor and fan bypass 145miles

Second test with no O2 sensor but proper cooling system. 155 miles

Same driving condition,mileage was recorded immediately reserve light came on. Note worthy, I used more AC during the second test.
Congratulations on your new car.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 12:03pm On Apr 09
remi4ever:

😆 😆 Very funny. So the most reliable car brand with millions of consumers isn't supposed to have issues? Every Mallam with his kettle Sha.
Reliable?
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Bullfallo(m): 3:20pm On Apr 09
Kewtt:

Reliable?
when Nigeria use a bad car. They just put the blame on the brand.

Everyone cars has it unique problem. No doubt toyota can take abuse more than honda. But then they have their own advantage.

My major problem with honda accord is front legs and engine sits.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 5:36pm On Apr 09
Bullfallo:

Everyone cars has it unique problem. No doubt toyota can take abuse more than honda. But then they have their own advantage.

The front leg issue was before 2008. Even if you maintain it well, you won't have to worry. I used honda baby boy for 3 years as a daily driver and it never pulled.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 7:02pm On Apr 09
remi4ever:

The front leg issue was before 2008. Even if you maintain it well, you won't have to worry. I used honda baby boy for 3 years as a daily driver and it never pulled.
Says who?

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 7:05pm On Apr 09
Bullfallo:

No doubt toyota can take abuse more than honda
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 7:37pm On Apr 09
Kewtt:

Says who?

I don't have strength to argue. A Bad car owner doesn't write off a brand. I can also send you images of your almighty Benz with K legs..

You don't like Honda, rest at that. Whatever rocks your boat.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by woodrow(m): 11:02am On Apr 12
Kewtt:

Says who?
Honda and leg pull sha

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by Kewtt: 11:17am On Apr 12
Good of you
Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by remi4ever(m): 2:01pm On Apr 12
woodrow:

Honda and leg pull sha
They won't see these ones..

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Reinstalling My Car's Thermostat And Its Fuel Economy Part 1 by 2shure: 5:12pm On Apr 12
remi4ever:

They won't see these ones..

(1) (Reply)

Bmw 3series(1996model) Vs Vwbug For Him: What Is Better? / Car Registration & Licensing / Our Fellow Widows Gets A New Colleague.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.